Flickering graphic bug is back

Toradama

6 minutes ago, TheVandalore said:

I just resubscribed and reinstalled yesterday. Not too happy that the game is rendered unplayable in this state, especially considering the flickering textures issue has been known for years and should have been addressed before the 64- bit update rendered all of us unable to play. The fix has widely been known as changing the compatibility settings, so to have your update render compatibility settings useless obviously inconveniences all of us. Yall knew this was gonna happen to us, so i really hope you are scrambling to find a way to get us back to functionality. 

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz   1.19 GHz
Installed RAM    12.0 GB (11.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

This game was running flawlessly on my system at max settings. I want to be able to play this game again without having to reduce settings or buy a new system AGAIN. Thats not expectable. I've dropped too much into this games shop and subs to just be like "Too bad, old man... you get left behind!"

Not at all saying that's what's happening. Obviously, game design is an ever-evolving artform that requires patience and understanding to get just right. I totally understand that, and I definitely continue to support yall in crafting my favorite game. Just want to make sure this issue doesn't get brushed off. 

Thank you all for your hard work and commitment!

I should have mentioned I tried all the suggested fixes above and none of them worked, and I tried my own trouble shooting and nothing I tried fixed the issue of the flickering textures. The only way to even get to load into the game itself without the server list issue was to take compatibility mode off both .exe's and just suffer the texture issue.

And the game itself doesn't even run badly at max settings, its actually smooth and looks good, it's just the entire worlds textures refresh every 2 seconds, and it completely ruins the game.... I'm not playing with the world glitching out. I can't play more than a minute without it frustrating me into quitting.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:08 AM, JackieKo said:

Hi there, 

Could you please share the following info for us?

• Type of machine you have
  • Graphics card
    • Driver version of the card 
      • If you go to to your Device Manager > Display adapters > click properties on your graphics card, you should be able to find this info
  • What version of Windows you have

That would be a helpful start in troubleshooting this issue. You can also PM me this info if you feel more comfortable with that. 

Thanks!

Jackie, I have some helpful information. After spending a good deal of time in my setting, i figured out the issue was TEXTURE QUALITY. I can have EVERYTHING else maxed out and the game runs normally so long as TEXTURE QUALITY is set to LOW. If i set it to high, thats when the texture flickering happens.

I dont know if its just my system, but id suggest people turn TEXTURE QUALITY to LOW and then max out everything else and see if they have flickering.

The game looks.... good on low textures for now, as far as i can tell.

6 hours ago, TheVandalore said:

Jackie, I have some helpful information. After spending a good deal of time in my setting, i figured out the issue was TEXTURE QUALITY. I can have EVERYTHING else maxed out and the game runs normally so long as TEXTURE QUALITY is set to LOW. If i set it to high, thats when the texture flickering happens.

I dont know if its just my system, but id suggest people turn TEXTURE QUALITY to LOW and then max out everything else and see if they have flickering.

The game looks.... good on low textures for now, as far as i can tell.

Texture issues can occur when the computer system does not meet the minimum game requirements , specifically have 1GB video ram

Intel inbuilt video usually fail this requirement

15 hours ago, OwenBrooks said:

Texture issues can occur when the computer system does not meet the minimum game requirements , specifically have 1GB video ram

my RAM is 12 GB with over 11 GB of it still usable. And the game played fine before the 64-Bit update, so long as i used a different compatibility mode.

My system has played the game fine.

15 hours ago, OwenBrooks said:

And as far as my limited knowledge of computers goes, my system still meets the requirements.

2 hours ago, TheVandalore said:

And as far as my limited knowledge of computers goes, my system still meets the requirements.

System ram is different to video ram 
post a dxdiag per https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Guide-Posting-a-DxDiag/m-p/4832663/highlight/true#M70799 will be able to tell you exactly how much dedicated video ram your computer has

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Nvidia RTX 3090 with 24 gb RAM and an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X processor running on Windows 11 Pro 64-bit. Even I get the occasional texture flickering bug, so system requirements are not the issue here. 

For me it's only happening inside of flashpoints and only midway through the run. I just ran Boarding Party and it happened again after I had no issues during the earlier three runs. Towards the end of the flashpoint the flickering stopped again and everything went back to normal. I guess something must be wrong with how the 64-client addresses the RAM on the graphics card.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phazonfreak said:

I have an Nvidia RTX 3090 with 24 gb RAM and an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X processor running on Windows 11 Pro 64-bit. Even I get the occasional texture flickering bug, so system requirements are not the issue here. 

For me it's only happening inside of flashpoints and only midway through the run. I just ran Boarding Party and it happened again after I had no issues during the earlier three runs. Towards the end of the flashpoint the flickering stopped again and everything went back to normal. I guess something must be wrong with how the 64-client addresses the RAM on the graphics card.

Agreed that system requirements doesn't seem to be the problem. At least not for the most part. Especially when so many folks played the game with graphics set to high or ultra just fine and suddenly can't even run the game on all settings low without the flickering since the update. Hopefully the devs have some sort of update soon to fill us in.

Edited by Damoneus
hit reply too soon before i finished typing.
  • Like 1

Yeah I've tried a whole bunch on my Parallels and still nothing. Hopefully they'll be able to come up with a solution sooner than later, it's made the game kinda unbearable with all the flashing so I'm missing the opening of this season rn lol

Surprised it took this long to break something for Parallels though tbh, it actually had a really long run where it was working super smooth for me at least

1 hour ago, Nee-Elder said:

Appears to be "sooner" , as in tomorrow--> https://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/04252023/game-update-7.2.1b

Wow, that was a lot quicker than I expected! I figured it was a pretty nuanced issue and might've taken longer to fix, considering how obscure the original fix was. Crossing my fingers it works well for everyone :)

• Like 1

"Change how the level of texture detail is chosen to reduce the flickering effect on certain systems"

So where is that fix? Textures are still flickering when I log in and I don't see any option in game settings related to that. So how are we exactly supposed to "change" anything related to this? Is this even a fix for this issue or something completelly different. Just apparently giving a fix for a major problem with no explanation or elaboration. Just great. So tired of that awful update. Are you going to do anything?

• Like 1

My understanding is that they reduced the quality of the Low-quality Texture setting to reduce the chances of flickering graphics, @Strukacz. I hope that makes sense. My Low-quality Texture setting looks much more blobby (less refined) than it did before today's update, but the High-quality Texture option looks exactly the same as the low setting now. In other words, it seems it may not have solved the flickering and created another very different issue. 

Edited by rquinnG

On 3/30/2023 at 11:08 AM, JackieKo said:

Hi there, 

Could you please share the following info for us?

• Type of machine you have
  • Graphics card
    • Driver version of the card 
      • If you go to to your Device Manager > Display adapters > click properties on your graphics card, you should be able to find this info
  • What version of Windows you have

That would be a helpful start in troubleshooting this issue. You can also PM me this info if you feel more comfortable with that. 

Thanks!

I am doing Chapter III: Outlander, and while fighting in the room with Kolto and multi wave droids, I started experiencing the same type of flickering I posted about before.

This is a screenshot showing a camera angle where flickering occured.

PC - Windows 11 Version 22H2 (OS Build 22624.1616)

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (Windows driver replaced AMD... Driver version: 31.0.12027.9001)

32GB RAM

I tested this on my old computer with Intel integrated graphics (Intel HD 530), and it seems their fix was simply to lock the Texture Quality to Low at all times. In other words, it ignores the Texture Quality setting. It looks like they couldn't really fix the problem and just forced Very Low textures if the computer uses integrated graphics. Maybe it is just a quick fix or maybe it is just how it will be for those with this type of setup. Hopefully, the DEVs will post here to provide clarity if locked textures is intended going forward. Some players will probably want to upgrade if Bioware has no plans for an actual fix.

• Sad 1

That is exactly what I am experiencing, @ThanderSnB! Which is disappointing because my laptop is relatively new, and it was supposed to be able to handle all of the new system requirements integrated into the 64-bit update. At least, I have an idea as to what is happening now. So, thank you for finding out what I have been asking all day.

I think this recent patch I'm having more problems not less problems with the graphics dissapearing except for the skybox or far distant "scenery" that isn't part of the 3rd graphics rendered around me.  just goes black unless there is some kind of distant scenescape to draw.  Depends on how I turn my camera it can see graphics or not.  It isn't consistent as I can have the problem in an area after being there for quite a while and then reload the game and not have the problem.

Ryzen 5 3600x CPU

NVIDIA 3070 GPU (drivers 528.24)

Windows 11 22H2 (build 22621.1555)

Changing graphics settings in game for texture quality did not have an impact.

Edited by klizilii

Why are they still going on about minimum requirements? There’s no way this game requires anything more than running a game like Elden Ring, which I know my machine runs great on high settings, and yet I’m still afflicted with this plague. Others have mentioned even better rigs than mine having the issue. 

Seems like they’ve made a classic mistake in Tech. They’ve assumed they know the actual cause of the issue while ignoring any evidence that contradicts their hypothesis 

• Like 5

The graphics flickering has gone away for me with the recent patch and I can run most content at high or very settings so far BUT on Ossus I have to dial everything down to the lowest settings otherwise cutscenes freeze midway and as i run around it'll freeze up forcing me to close the game and restart. It's very weird that some content works great and others you have to radically change the graphics settings.

Yeah this recent "Patch" as severally messed with the graphics for a lot of people it seems. I usually run the game on high with a few small things turned down for better frames but over all it looked good. Now it seems like everything is stuck to the lowest it can be detail wise. Just to see if I was simply going crazy or not I set it to Ultra and not a thing changed between that and low setting. This can be REALLY hard to deal with when it comes to certain outfits I like using looking downright awful and hard to look at. In truth kinda preferred the bug that happen here and there more than my graphics stuck to the worst setting possible.