Sales Tax and Broker's fees

Dayshadow

4 hours ago, Dayshadow said:

Yeah, like I said. If there is sooooooo much supply that in a month's times your items go unsold because they sell so slowly, you're not really needed anyway. Might as well not bother even now. I'd imagine whatever it is you're selling doesn't sells very often even now if you have these kinds of fears. In all the time I've played EVE Online over the past 2 decades I don't think I've ever had the problem you think is going to occur (there it's 3 months max), but if you hypothetically couldn't sell anything in a month... yeah, you should find something new. Because in this scenario you've concocted consumers are getting all the product they want. Everything is working as intended.

Oh, so you want to throw a wrench in the day trading market. As I understand it, many day traders have no issue holding on to items for extended periods. Day trading is how I built up my money. When I came back to the game after 5 years I had under 20 million, which was decent when I left. The only way I could make real money was buying low and selling high. No activity I was aware of could make me the credits to buy stuff in the new billion credit economy. The credits rewards Bioware gives are less than pocket lint. My highest character was level 54 and I had only two who completely the class stories. Nothing beyond that. A CM style timer wouldn't change anything. And I can assure you, there is no rush. I know people holding on to stuff with plans to sell years down the line when an item is projected to be more rare once off direct purchase on the CM. I started out small buying up cheap dyes for 150K and reselling for 700K. As I made more money I started buying armor sets I'd find for cheap and reselling for billions in P2P trading. I don't do much of that anymore as I just wanted to get armor sets and I reach my goal. Point is, even with a 36 hour timer, I'd still have done it. I'd still buy up those dyes and within two days I'd have a steady supply of items ready to sale each morning as each group of items came off their timers. What you would need is for crafted items to be "bind on purchase".

Dude, the only one having fears here is you. Fear that no-one understands your "brilliant" idea and may even disagree. People have been politely trying to explain the flaws in it, even explain why it would make them stop crafting for GTN anymore. But you are so thrilled by your marvellous idea that you completely deaf to to anything that challenges it. 

I don't need the money I get from crafting, I craft because I can craft items people want, but can't get the schematics anymore. That doesn't mean I would want to waste my time pouring money in GTN taxes, when some people are undercutting me with 1 credit as soon as I log out. Or they try to buy everything I have in GTN and relist it higher. 

TL;DR: Your idea will make crafted items even more expensive, because less people will be crafting them. Supply and demand. 

Time to craft + paying taxes for listing (not selling, just listing) = not worth the hassle. 

13 hours ago, Dayshadow said:

If I wanted to reduce prices,[...]

So, what is it you want to achieve then?

I can only read "there is no risk at all". Why does there need to be a risk for placing an item? What you suggest (and arguing something like "ridiculous prices", which of course is only your subjective opinion and contradicts market mechanisms) will also affect market priced items exceeding current demand. And then you add complexity to overcome obvious shortcomings ("within a month", "grace period"...). 🙄

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 5:52 AM, Dayshadow said:

A 3.5% tax should come out of any item sold on GTN right off the bat as a broker fee and be non-refundable, even if the sale expires. The other 4.5% would be the tax for successful sale. The 4.5% should also be taken if the order is cancelled prematurely. Exemptions can be made if the order is cancelled with an hour of posting. The Brokers fee can be refunded if sale is cancelled with 5 minutes of posting (people make mistakes). I'd also say the time an item can stay on the market should be increased to at least a month, with the ability to lower the price of an ongoing sale at a 0.5% charge. This way people might think twice about putting stuff up on the market at ridiculous prices because when they don't sell, they lose money. And most of these people know it's highly unlikely to sell, but their greed compels them to hold out hope some rich chump will buy. Currently there is no risk at all. You let it expire and it costs you nothing (in some cases even cancelling has no serious penalty). So why not put everything at a billion out the gate? If it unsurprisingly doesn't sell, oh well. It cost you nothing. But for the market as a whole it becomes this long process of prices slowly dropping back down to the "actual price" that people will buy. I'd prefer to get rid of that wait time every time the sales expire, and the next person decides to start over at 1 billion on items that couldn't sell at 10M the day before. It would also be nice to have market trends on items. At least an average sale price so people can get an idea of what price people are actually willing to buy it.

No.

I think the fees charged on sale is already way too much. Nothing else needs to be said about it.

I sell something on the GTN, ALL of the cfredits should go to me only, period.