Started 24-4, then losing streaks n carries

AndriusAjax

I started 24-4 on my main, and now every match feels like I have about 2-3 players who are new to pvp (currently 28-10). I'm not trying to bad shame, but its a pretty transparent 'ELO' system that uses our cumulative/historical winning percentage to form teams, placing high winning% with low winning% (and probably tries to balance average dps as well). It creates a ton of uphill battles.

A friend said he went 22-0 before basically maintaining a .500 winning % until were he is currently, 95-70~. I went 34-4 on another account, on another server fwiw, now I'm like 39-11.

It's just a pretty obvious trend imo. There's a point where it makes me hesitant to queue.

Also.... premades. I get them being in the same queue as solo players. Our poor population dictates that. But why should their battle log not indicate that they are in a group or not? Just like specs, Solo or Group should have unique battle logs.

• Thanks 1

I guess to answer my own concern, as well as propose a fix... I know the issue is pop. 'elo' systems are 'supposed' to punish high percentile players (winning %) via placing them in matches where they form the upper-end of the balancing mechanic and thereby get placed in with lesser winning% players. I just think it needs to be a 24 hour or 1 week 'look-back'.

Knowing that I'm queuing into a carry, where my winning% is muted to 50% bc i started 24-4 is, ...bad. its a bad system.

Ya it’s pretty terrible. I start off well on a new toon then sometimes I’ll have 5 or 6 games in a row with 2-3 undergeared people who have absolutely no clue what they’re doing. I’ll lose a bunch in a row then I start getting put back in winnable situations, etc. I think the only “fair” matchmaking system is just random assortment, no premades. The better people will have better win records because they can carry to some extent worse people will have worse records because they only win when they get carried. Really anything other than that is pretty stupid imo. 

• Like 2

I think the only “fair” matchmaking system is just random assortment, no premades. The better people will have better win records because they can carry to some extent worse people will have worse records because they only win when they get carried. Really anything other than that is pretty stupid imo. 

I agree. but I think some of the new pvpers will have really bad experiences if that were the case. The system definitely feels like an effort to ... level out... the winning for all types of pvpers. Fun for everyone! Equally! Democratic!

I guess my thinking is... if you're gonna make a metric like battlelogs - something that is shareable/gloat-able and a pretty clear replacement of 'rankings'... then have it reflect something meaningful. currently, there seems to be a cap of about +20 wins before it tries to overcorrect. Making all good-to-great-to-elite players roughly +20 wins. It waters down the upper end of winning percentage imo.

I honestly thought I was imagining this on my end.  As I noticed toons with good records get put into matches that are uphill battles and I really, really have to try to win vs. some newer toons that I've not pvp'd much on, who can go on a massive winning streak without me trying all that hard. Hell I could have probably afk'd for a few of those matches, and just the quality of my team mates alone would have been enough to get us through.  Yet on my primary pvp toons it's a very different story. Had one match on my main where it was 4 dps (my team) 2 of our dps was 324 & 325 gear rating respectively missing augments and such vs a group that consisted of a tank, heals, & 2 dps in 332 or above (not a premade far as I could tell, since I've gotten some of the enemy players on my team in earlier but not all on the same match).  We still managed to squeak out a win on the count of them playing really, really poorly that match. Yet it's one of those things where I wonder, am I just meant to lose this round?  Like match maker could have easily given one of the dps to the other team in exchange for either the healer or tank to make it more even, but no.  The match after, we just got demolished, although it felt like the quality of the enemy players was well above that of myself, or my team. Just destroyed, so badly I figured it was better to log for a bit.

I realize it's all anecdotal, and rng might just be rng, with me thinking to much into this, but I do believe you're right.  I think the system does try to push for a more 50 / 50 win to loss ratio.  Thankfully I'm still well above that, but I see that percentage dropping little by little, and it feels like it's out of my hands sometimes.  Where as my other toons can just breeze through things, when they have no right winning. 

I've noticed the same thing. I had a win rate at about 90% and then started getting complete uncarriable bots on my team. The only way I can get decent matches now is to run a full premade. I can't really queue solo anymore because it puts the worst players on my team.

I can confirm the same experience on multiple different type of dps classes. Very high starting win rates, always top dps, then I am constantly put into teams where I have more dps then the other three dps in my team alltogether. If not 4 dps scenario, then I end up with a tank whereas the other team has a healer or healer-tank combo, guaranteed defeat. The more I play, the closer I get to 50-60% win rate without having any chance of altering the outcome, most matches feel like 3 vs 4.

I rarely see teams of equal chance of winning. Bioware does not understand that in terms of skill level 10 + 9 + 3 + 2 does not equal 4 * 6. Each player should progress between brackets until they become the weakest link, but instead the better you get, the worse team mates you are teamed up with.

And what is worse, I was teamed up with a sorc dps a few days ago. 324 gear, totally clueless about the fundaments of the class, got killed in a few second both rounds. He started complaining why the enemy targeted him and when he was told not to queue ungeared and unskilled, he said he did not understand our suggestion, he has over 50% win rate and I had no reason not to believe him. What a brilliant ELO-based matchmaking system ... Good to know Bioware rewards all your efforts into improving yourself.

Edited by varietasplus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1