Ruhnuk is very nice, the story is pretty good, but...

Gokkus

it feels a bit like we are stuck in spectator mode again.

I like how the new planet looks, a lot of effort obviously went into making it this beautiful and with different kinds of locations. It fits the an abandoned mining colony very well.
Also, the story is interesting and feels high stakes, though there could have been a bit more progress. It did not advance the main storyline much, just like Manaan did little for it.

My biggest problem with it though, is that nothing really seems to matter. Not who you are, your faction, your class, whether you are a mandalorian, dark or light, the decisions you make. It all ends the same and it is hard to find any new dialogue in multiple play throughs. I have not played it on every single class yet so correct me if I am wrong. But often it really feels like I could have send a companion to Ruhnuk instead of going myself.

Yeah there may be a different reason why certain events happen or there might be a different character in a cutscene but in the end its all the same. This gets even more apparant when you realise it is not your story but that of Shae. You are the companion here more or less. So that feels like having even less agency. Also, as a non-force user you pretty much always use a blaster in cutscenes even if that is not your main weapon. Nothing new, I know, but again, it does not matter who your are.

This could be the result of limited budget but it is dissapointing. One of things SWTOR had going for it is that it was interesting to see how different choices panned out. Say about KotFe and KotET what you want but choices really did make for a different experience. And with Manaan and Makeb, your faction mattered a lot for the story.

Anyway I enjoy the story, but the replayability suffers while there were A LOT of opportunities for your character or choices to have meaning and for your character to have more impact.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, casirabit said:

My only complaint in the story is, come on, my force users (and the others p) dealt with the emperor, and yet they get caught by a stupid machine?  I know it is for the story, but lol come on now.

At least now you know that you could have destroyed Tenebrae/Vitiate/Valkorion far easier if you had brought a sonic device to the fight...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I wouldn't say my character has no motivation in the new story. The Mandalorians have been his allies for years, he is interested in maintaining Shae as the current Mandalore so long as she pledges allegiance to him. Any instability within the clans threatens him as he relies on Mandalorians to bolster his forces, which is needed after the destruction of the Fleet. He is also interested in learning the secrets of Nul's holocron so it makes sense for him to care, especially with Sa'har being part of the Hidden Chain. This is honestly a complaint I never get, people said the same about KOTFE back in the day but I always feel our characters are front and center of the stories.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, casirabit said:

My only complaint in the story is, come on, my force users (and the others p) dealt with the emperor, and yet they get caught by a stupid machine?  I know it is for the story, but lol come on now.

Didn't almost all force users get owned by simple clones

Luls

Edited by Ergecrs
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, casirabit said:

The shock drum almost killed Master Kiwiiks and that was in vanilla story

Edited by TalLura
more info added
  • Like 3

On 12/19/2022 at 7:42 PM, casirabit said:

Neither Jedi or Sith are immune to technology. You can do DF/DP with a full group of tech users and still kill a bunch of guys who are some of the most powerful Sith in the Galaxy. That should tell you something. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hrafnhildur said:

Neither Jedi or Sith are immune to technology. You can do DF/DP with a full group of tech users and still kill a bunch of guys who are some of the most powerful Sith in the Galaxy. That should tell you something. 

In some interpretations of the situation, it tells us that class-vs-class balance is more important than the lore.  I'm actually in favour of that interpretation...

2 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

In some interpretations of the situation, it tells us that class-vs-class balance is more important than the lore.  I'm actually in favour of that interpretation...

Oddly enough IIRC ... they use 4 of them on capturing us (regardless of which class we are) ...  but only use one to "hinder" Shae.  Too many more would have come across REALLY suspicious.  IMO the only hole in the plot I saw was whether or not Shae's opponent accidentally stepped into the line of fire or not.

And for whatever it's worth ...  I also agree with your assessment  (as long as it's not too far-fetched).   "Red matter" in SWTOR would just be totally wrong.

Besides that ... IMO it's yet another plot device!  And (as others have mentioned) ...  already in SWTOR.

9 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

Oddly enough IIRC ... they use 4 of them on capturing us (regardless of which class we are) ...  but only use one to "hinder" Shae.  Too many more would have come across REALLY suspicious.  IMO the only hole in the plot I saw was whether or not Shae's opponent accidentally stepped into the line of fire or not.

And for whatever it's worth ...  I also agree with your assessment  (as long as it's not too far-fetched).   "Red matter" in SWTOR would just be totally wrong.

Besides that ... IMO it's yet another plot device!  And (as others have mentioned) ...  already in SWTOR.

Maybe at the time Shae & Heta were fighting only one device was still functional? Maybe the Varad recruit who threatened to bleed Ri'kan and his sister sabotaged 3 of them? You can't exclude that possibility. 

I like you are not the center of the story for once. You are helping a friend and ally because you were asked. It's been a long time since first meeting on Rishi. I also like that despite the holocron it has nothing to do with the Force. It's always been about the Force since Revan. The Force is important to Star Wars, but the Force is not everything nor the only thing about Star Wars.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Hrafnhildur said:

Maybe at the time Shae & Heta were fighting only one device was still functional? Maybe the Varad recruit who threatened to bleed Ri'kan and his sister sabotaged 3 of them? You can't exclude that possibility. 

Actually ... the use of only one IMO was intentional.  More than one ...  that shows up.  People will notice something is wrong almost immediately.   By using ONLY one ... (and easily used at a lower setting) ... then it makes things look like Shae was simply beaten!  Overall, the plot device was used quite well.  If I came across differently earlier ... sorry.  That's on me!

Still you cannot exclude the possibility of sabotage, because not everyone in Hidden Chain seems to like Ri'kan & Sa'har. While playing the SoV fp , I've heard one Ash'ad telling another " they are playing a dangerous game" so this kind of confirms my theory. 

Why use four to capture the Commander  aka the dude or dudette who defeated the Sith Emperor twice and is way more famous than Shae but use only one on Shae? If they wanted to make it look like they defeated your character fair and square, they would have used only one too. 

• Like 1