Allow players to choose which class ship to use

Xishan

I would like to put forward the idea of allowing players to choose from class ships rather than being locked into the one their class gets. I am not fond of all of the ships and would very much like to have the option to use any of the class ships I have unlocked.

Long term you could then sell us new ships in the cartel market. Just look at what they are doing with this in Star citizen and there is a market there and some people will pay crazy money for an uber cool new ship.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If they do let you switch ship class, and later add new ones, I hope they make them have bunks for you companions, at least your initial story companions. It has always bugged me that there is no place for your companions to sleep on the Defender, while there are bunks on all of the other ships.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jacksoundwave said:

If they do let you switch ship class, and later add new ones, I hope they make them have bunks for you companions, at least your initial story companions. It has always bugged me that there is no place for your companions to sleep on the Defender, while there are bunks on all of the other ships.

I assumed since it's a Trooper ship, they slept on the floor. All but Forex. Who stood guard and ready to blast anyone who made fun of them sleeping on the floor...

Edited by greenhor

Awesome idea! My smuggler, married to Akaavi Spar ( and, in my headcanon, an adopted Mandalorian) would love to have a D5 Mantis ( the BH class ship) . How? They could trade their ship for a Mantis ( or any other ship) in a side-quest. Or do a mission to aquire another ship? Or steal it ? 😆

On 1/9/2023 at 7:54 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

What would the map of your hangar show?

I'm sure they could figure out a way to make it either sync with your choice or maybe they could just keep the map empty. I doubt that many people look at the map in the hanger anyways. 

On 1/9/2023 at 2:54 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

What would the map of your hangar show?

If my smuggler completes the quest to trade his ship for a D5 Mantis, then the hangar will display a D5 Mantis. If other players decide to to change their class ship for something else, then the map will display the " something else" 🙂

3 hours ago, bluehufsa said:

If my smuggler completes the quest to trade his ship for a D5 Mantis, then the hangar will display a D5 Mantis. If other players decide to to change their class ship for something else, then the map will display the " something else" 🙂

It might even be simpler than that (not a coder, so don't take my word for it).

The hangers are instanced, linked to class - now origin. The seperation of combat styles from origin shows that it's possible to unlink things, so it could be as simple as, once the class stories are complete and there's no more cases of cutscenes and events in hangers (messagers before you leave a planet and so forth), the hangers become linked to the ships themselves rather than the origins.

Yeah, I know, probably would be too complicated to work in actuality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turbomagnus said:

It might even be simpler than that (not a coder, so don't take my word for it).

The hangers are instanced, linked to class - now origin. The seperation of combat styles from origin shows that it's possible to unlink things, so it could be as simple as, once the class stories are complete and there's no more cases of cutscenes and events in hangers (messagers before you leave a planet and so forth), the hangers become linked to the ships themselves rather than the origins.

Yeah, I know, probably would be too complicated to work in actuality.

OK, so if my Smuggler chose mercenary as his first combat style, powertech as his second, maybe, just maybe there should be an option for him to get a D5 Mantis instead on the default Smuggler ship?

12 hours ago, MagesKickass said:

They could simply change the labels of the hangers to the ship type instead of class. e.g. instead of Trooper Hangar, it's "Thunderclap Hangar", etc.

Fair point, although...

12 hours ago, MagesKickass said:

Real trick would be allowing cross-faction ship choice and how they'd make that work if it came to that.

This is one part of the problem, and the occasional request to allow some completely other type of ship is a similar problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Fair point, although...

This is one part of the problem, and the occasional request to allow some completely other type of ship is a similar problem.

You have a point there, Steve. I can easily see ships becoming selectable and within the first week there being people wanting Koth's Shuttle as their ship, for an example...