Can't launch game

Taminara

I bought a new laptop and can't launch the game. The laptop is running Windows 11 and it is NOT running an Intel chip. Its AMD. I've read the bug reports, googled everything I can think of and read it and none of the suggestions have worked so far.

I have:  run it in admin mode, changed the compatibility, updated video drivers, done all windows updates, checked to see if I can repair files (I cannot) and even sat there clicking play whenever it lights up for over the period of an hour (because some players said it took them a few times but it finally went). I am at my wit's end with this.

I do not run it on Steam. Is there any help or fix for this? I am hoping I'm just missing something stupid.

2 hours ago, Taminara said:

I bought a new laptop and can't launch the game. The laptop is running Windows 11 and it is NOT running an Intel chip. Its AMD. I've read the bug reports, googled everything I can think of and read it and none of the suggestions have worked so far.

I have:  run it in admin mode, changed the compatibility, updated video drivers, done all windows updates, checked to see if I can repair files (I cannot) and even sat there clicking play whenever it lights up for over the period of an hour (because some players said it took them a few times but it finally went). I am at my wit's end with this.

I do not run it on Steam. Is there any help or fix for this? I am hoping I'm just missing something stupid.

hi there Taminara,  whenever possible , always read the sticky threads, like this one: https://forums.swtor.com/topic/924959-upcoming-update-of-the-game-launcher/   ....  And  also be sure to see the more specific 'Dev Tracker' posts from BioWare , like this other one here: https://forums.swtor.com/topic/924959-upcoming-update-of-the-game-launcher/page/10/#comment-9725230

If  that ^ thread doesn't  help , then maybe try this link here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en  ...and/or try sending an Email to:  support@swtor.com  (with as many details, computer specs, crash-logs, screenshots, etc. etc.   as are related )

Hope this helps you at least get on the right path back to playing.

14 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

hi there Taminara,  whenever possible , always read the sticky threads, like this one: https://forums.swtor.com/topic/924959-upcoming-update-of-the-game-launcher/   ....  And  also be sure to see the more specific 'Dev Tracker' posts from BioWare , like this other one here: https://forums.swtor.com/topic/924959-upcoming-update-of-the-game-launcher/page/10/#comment-9725230

If  that ^ thread doesn't  help , then maybe try this link here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en  ...and/or try sending an Email to:  support@swtor.com  (with as many details, computer specs, crash-logs, screenshots, etc. etc.   as are related )

Hope this helps you at least get on the right path back to playing.

Well really, its very kind of you to post those things since apparently you think I haven't read them. I assure you that I have and I have tried those things as I mentioned above. Forgive me for forgetting to post that I also disabled my antivirus software as well. The only thing I haven't done is send in the host.developer.log because I didn't actually encounter any errors (there were no error codes or messages). It simply failed to launch. I was hoping for something more recent than from a month or two ago, as well as I sincerely hoped that the team would have a fix within such a time window.

I don't have any issues on my Desktop PC which is running Windows 10 Pro but its currently out of commission, hence the use of the laptop, which I just bought, that is running Windows 11 home.

Just now, Taminara said:

Well really, its very kind of you to post those things since apparently you think I haven't read them. I assure you that I have and I have tried those things as I mentioned above.

ah ok , and i was just posting them to make sure is all . (since most people  with your similar type issue  typically haven't  read  those links yet )

2 minutes ago, Taminara said:

I was hoping for something more recent than from a month or two ago,

Just making sure (again) ... You also saw this slightly more recent  thread from another player, correct? --> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925826-i-cant-click-play/

39 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

ah ok , and i was just posting them to make sure is all . (since most people  with your similar type issue  typically haven't  read  those links yet )

Just making sure (again) ... You also saw this slightly more recent  thread from another player, correct? --> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925826-i-cant-click-play/

Actually, out of that, the one thing that stood out to me that I also have not tried is reinstalling Direct X. I do have ToR listed as exceptions/allowances. I can try the reinstall of that component too! Thank you.

• Like 1

Just had that happen to me on a new laptop. I installed the game as I usually do but could not click on the "Play" button.

What I found was that a .NET version was missing from my new laptop.

In the game folder there should be a directory named "Extras". In that folder is an install for DirectX 9. I ran the installer and the first thing it did was to download and install a .NET version, I think it was version 3.0. It then installed any DirectX 9 files that were missing that SWToR needs. 

After doing this I was able to click on the "Play" button and play the game.

Don't know if this will help you but it can't hurt to try....

Hope works for you too....😊

Oh something I just noticed in your post... My New Asus ROG laptop also is using an AMD processor but I am running Windows 10 pro not win 11. Have not gone that rout yet....

Edited by denavin
Added new comment...

2 hours ago, Taminara said:

Actually, out of that, the one thing that stood out to me that I also have not tried is reinstalling Direct X. I do have ToR listed as exceptions/allowances. I can try the reinstall of that component too! Thank you.

Do you have the Visual C stuff installed? I can't find the thread now, but I saw a thread where someone couldn't launch the game and it started working after they installed it. The installer should be in swtor folder somewhere with a name like "vcredist_x86.exe." I can't tell exactly because I'm playing Steam version, and it puts them in a shared folder used by all games instead of the swtor folder.

Edit:
I found on Steam that SWTOR needs these files:

• VC 2008 Redist
  • VC 2019 Redist
  • DirectX Jun 2010 Redist

So those would be the installers to look for in the swtor folder.

Edited by ThanderSnB

No I did not install Visual C of any kind.

I have been just simply copying my SWToR game folder to the new machine then copy over the 2 profile directorys from %AppData/local% to my new PC. I have been transfering my game from computer to computer this way for years. I never RE-Download the entire game to put it on a new PC.

Other than the DirectX 9 files needing to be installed it has never before failed. It seems that the new Launcher may need a .NET version that is NOT included in the installation of the game.

Edited by denavin

49 minutes ago, denavin said:

No I did not install Visual C of any kind.

I have been just simply copying my SWToR game folder to the new machine then copy over the 2 profile directorys from %AppData/local% to my new PC. I have been transfering my game from computer to computer this way for years. I never RE-Download the entire game to put it on a new PC.

Other than the DirectX 9 files needing to be installed it has never before failed. It seems that the new Launcher may need a .NET version that is NOT included in the installation of the game.

Oh I'm sorry, I was responding to Taminara. I should have made that clearer.

23 minutes ago, ThanderSnB said:

Oh I'm sorry, I was responding to Taminara. I should have made that clearer.

Oops missed that.... 😧

But the thing is that what ever is causing this issue with the new launcher is most likely local to that particular PC and not so much with the launcher. Though they obviously changed something in the operation of the launcher that is now looking for a system that is no longer standard in windows, and with all the different versions and installs of windows that are it was inevitable that somebody would have problems.

But it would also seem that the tools to fix and repair this were included in the games install files years ago since other than all the updates, my game files are the same ones I originally installed on my PC 8 years ago. And I have moved these files 5 times to different PCs as I upgraded my systems. Including yesterday when I copied it over to my new Laptop.

I have NOT Installed SWToR in 8 years I simply copy it....

2 hours ago, ThanderSnB said:

Do you have the Visual C stuff installed? I can't find the thread now, but I saw a thread where someone couldn't launch the game and it started working after they installed it. The installer should be in swtor folder somewhere with a name like "vcredist_x86.exe." I can't tell exactly because I'm playing Steam version, and it puts them in a shared folder used by all games instead of the swtor folder.

Edit:
I found on Steam that SWTOR needs these files:

• VC 2008 Redist
  • VC 2019 Redist
  • DirectX Jun 2010 Redist

So those would be the installers to look for in the swtor folder.

I'll take a look! Thank you for the suggestion/response. This is my first experience with Win11 too and I'm not a fan. >.< But everything is fresh/brand new on the PC, including this ToR install. If those files are missing, I have to imagine that somehow they weren't included in the download.

Well, I didn't see vcredist in any of the ToR folders. I searched my drive and found it in Origins and Zenimax's ESO and a couple of other files that had unrecognizable names. I'm not going to install it willynilly without knowing more so I've been searching for threads or posts that mention it. I've found some but they are related to Steam. One without but it had no helpful answers. So, still searching for something that works and hoping for responses that help. o/

Well, some weird magic happened and the launcher finally launched. I wish I could say that any of the suggestions I tried helped or that I could say exactly why it worked this time. I cannot. I opened up the launcher with the intent of continuing to try and poke at it. I didn't see if there was an update (if there was, it was small/fast). When I clicked play, it launched. Its worked every time since then and I hope it continues to work.