Removing Ranked was not asked for.

Sithsensor

2 hours ago, TyrFoge said:

This is actually a fairly solid guess and a fair point I have heard no one mention/consider yet. Having players able to spec across 2 classes certainly could have made "Leaderboards" a mess...

I would bet that did play a role. It might have even been the biggest reason why. With how old the game engine is. I wonder if they just couldn't do it (AKA the amount of resources invested to make something like this would be astronomical.)

On 11/11/2022 at 8:29 PM, illgot said:

Maybe the concentration of toxic vile children in ranked drove away potential players which could have saved unranked PvP. You can thank those trolls for killing off this aspect of the game by driving away players before they could get interested.

12 hours ago, Illedros said:

The removal of ranked pvp. I really hope the hardcore ranked pvpers uninstall now.

Lol you guys are funny. Toxicity is everywhere in the game. In fact, you guys are just as toxic as the 1 ranked guy who is telling everyone to KYS. Maybe if I cry really hard, I can get the whole forums removed too based on a few extremely toxic people. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, septru said:

. Maybe if I cry really hard, I can get the whole forums removed too based on a few extremely toxic people. 

I understand you're  upset about the upcoming  change (even though technically we really don't even know exactly how drastic of a change it really is , until we see how things play out over the first couple weeks  post 7.2 being on LIVE servers)  but  continuing with hyperbolic, sarcastic, & totally unrelated statements like that ^^  you're actually starting to undermine your very valid (initial) grievance.

But hey at least you're moving up the umm  'leaderboards' of these new forums. ;)

Irony is awesome.

• Thanks 1

The element that was ranked was just down right awful.......those that defend it.....perpetuated it. 

Once again, looking big picture here, solo ranked was the death of swtor pvp.  The absolute concept of how it was played is the reason. 

For those who don't know, solos used to pop on a regular basis, not designated times by those who determined those times.  Also, solos used to be a team effort, not a couple on a chat channel determining how the match would go. Ranked pvp has become so offensive and wrong now.....no wonder the devs are doing away with it. 

There is no way to fix something that has spun so wildly out of control. 

• Haha 1

im just going to put my 2 pence here

I used to play group ranked in between seasons with a group of friends, we had a lot of fun because people who played in between seasons were often not hardcore players.  the  (the rpm ) rewards were good and our main incentive to play   . we were not the best team and we had about 60% win rate on a good day but we had a lot of fun. we didnt have to worry about loosing causing us to drop ranks as it was off season 

then a group of actual ranked pvp players started queing when they realised a bunch of causual players were doing it. We got slaughtered and the comments thrown at us made us stop doing it, it was not fun anymore. even players on ignore list still would pop in the pvp que (i think due to lack of people in que) so we could not avoid them 

ranked PvP players were toxic, 

we had fun playing 4x4 when we had chance to win, or when it was just for fun. when it became full toxic rude comments on how we all were so poop that we should quit game and never come back, it was just not fun anymore

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalLura said:

im just going to put my 2 pence here

I used to play group ranked in between seasons with a group of friends, we had a lot of fun because people who played in between seasons were often not hardcore players.  the  (the rpm ) rewards were good and our main incentive to play   . we were not the best team and we had about 60% win rate on a good day but we had a lot of fun. we didnt have to worry about loosing causing us to drop ranks as it was off season 

then a group of actual ranked pvp players started queing when they realised a bunch of causual players were doing it. We got slaughtered and the comments thrown at us made us stop doing it, it was not fun anymore. even players on ignore list still would pop in the pvp que (i think due to lack of people in que) so we could not avoid them 

we had fun playing 4x4 when we had chance to win, or when it was just for fun. when it became full toxic rude comments on how we all were so poop that we should quit game and never come back, it was just not fun anymore

You realize "playing with friends for RPM" is actually wintrading? How can you play a competitive game mode and "not worry about loosing"? 

...because you got called out for wintrading in offseason for mats? err, okay

You claim you ignored them, but also claim they insulted you in chat. If you ignored them you shouldn't be able to see their chat or emotes. So which is it? 

8 hours ago, Mycroft-Tarkin said:

You realize "playing with friends for RPM" is actually wintrading? How can you play a competitive game mode and "not worry about loosing"? 

...because you got called out for wintrading in offseason for mats? err, okay

You claim you ignored them, but also claim they insulted you in chat. If you ignored them you shouldn't be able to see their chat or emotes. So which is it? 

no i mean we would que as friends against random teams.  we were only 4 people in total, !!!  we didnt worry if we lost because it had no negative impact on us.  worst case we wasted  few min then went back to running heroics and could reque and try again. out of the 4 of us, one person wanted to get into ranked [and had won 2 group ranked matches overall with a guild group before being told they were not good enough to keep running with the guild, [they had died first in both match] so this was a way to play without worry

its only win trading if you intent to fix outcome of game, 

, we were group of friends who did heroics while we waited for que to pop, we played against random groups., sometimes we did really well (like time we got matched multiple times with an all sorc dps group and kept winning , others not so much. usually we won a round but lost other 2 or lost our first round, changed our tactics and won second and third 

off season was the only time casual players joined the grouped ranked que, i think most had another group lined up to go against, but we did not .  we just relied on fact that there were people in the que which gave us better shot.  The fact that we had a chance to actually win against a team meant we could for once get the rewards that ranked players could so it was worth doing. 

now that 4v4 is going to be option, we are hoping to do more group pvp with our friend group/.

we got fed up with having bad talk in pvp so after a bit we did legacy ignore, but that did not stop them being in que against us in pvp. 

Edited by TalLura

2 hours ago, TalLura said:

we got fed up with having bad talk in pvp so after a bit we did legacy ignore, but that did not stop them being in que against us in pvp. 

if people are saying mean things, then you can ignore them like you did.  group ranked during preseason is pretty dead, which means even if you ignore them you would likely get against them.  all of this would be fixed with 7.2 by combining regs/ranked que, and brining more players into the que. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, septru said:

if people are saying mean things, then you can ignore them like you did.  group ranked during preseason is pretty dead, which means even if you ignore them you would likely get against them.  all of this would be fixed with 7.2 by combining regs/ranked que, and brining more players into the que. 

its something we are excited about for 7.2 chance for our friend group to do pvp together again.

its something we are excited about for 7.2 chance for our friend group to do pvp together again.

I hate to break it to you but a lot of the people that trolled you are most likely still gonna be in the game. And if you think those trolls are gonna all of a sudden have a different attitude you're dillusional.

Edited by Prapcaster

7 hours ago, Prapcaster said:

I hate to break it to you but a lot of the people that trolled you are most likely still gonna be in the game. And if you think those trolls are gonna all of a sudden have a different attitude you're dillusional.

no we dont think they will be gone, but with more people in the que people on our ignore list should actually be ignored and not grouped against 

13 minutes ago, TalLura said:

no we dont think they will be gone, but with more people in the que people on our ignore list should actually be ignored and not grouped against 

You still get grouped aginst people on your ignore list on pvp. Unless they announced it and I missed it.

I don't even participate in ranked and am sad to see it go. I don't like seeing the removal of the game modes other people enjoy. 

I can't be bothered with HM raiding. I would never go into a thread saying too small a percent of players nim raid so they should just delete them all. Just a weird hill to die on. 

I hope all the ranked pvpers are able to continue to have fun with the new system, or find another game you can go have fun in. 💚

• Like 8

On 11/11/2022 at 10:09 PM, illgot said:

your analogy aside, Ranked PvP was not popular enough to keep supporting for such a small player base.

You know why the player base was so small right? The Ranked PvP community was so toxic that even listening to the chatter on /2 PvP in fleet chat was enough to convince most people to stay away.

The toxic players got their wish, new and learning players stayed away and as a result ranked PvP was canceled.

The reason ranked arena populations were small is because it was a very different form of pvp from that which most ppl learn to play. arenas are NOT user friendly. you could get waxed by the other team in 8v8 ranked, but you could still die and respawn and get back into the game. arenas are one and done each round. so there was no bridge between ranked and pvp before jumping into ranked. and even if there were, TDM is pretty brutal as the only form of ranked.

PvP is "toxic." Ranked wasn't any different. for example, that nickodamus dude or pepe'whatever rages all the time in regs. yelling at ppl for not doing what he wants. another dude (forget his name - he's a sin tank) tries to win every objective map until someone doesn't follow his exact instructions. then he stealths in a corner and verbally abuses everyone trying to get them to quit the WZ. it's PvP. other players just run around farming kills. and still others sit and "guard" an objective with no real idea how the map works, and if you try to correct them, they lash out at you.

Edit: also, the objective maps are ALL broken. most of them were designed around abilities from from the 1.x version of the game. now every class can walk/roll through a fire plate, or can solo guard a node against two attackers long enough for a teammate to cross the map (e.g., from one pylon to another), and instead of actually tanking, a tank can just stall a node for eternity. so good luck getting ppl on the same page in that format. between a bad engine and abilities that cheese the maps, the objectives are too easy to manipulate.

Edited by krackcommando
objective maps are broken
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, waisting said:

I don't even participate in ranked and am sad to see it go. I don't like seeing the removal of the game modes other people enjoy. 

I can't be bothered with HM raiding. I would never go into a thread saying too small a percent of players nim raid so they should just delete them all. Just a weird hill to die on. 

I hope all the ranked pvpers are able to continue to have fun with the new system, or find another game you can go have fun in. 💚

Might be the most kind post in pvp section this year.

God Bless these casual pve players :)

• Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 4:24 PM, Prapcaster said:

I'm beginning to wonder if this is all because of combat styles. Their leaderboard system is pretty outdated and probably doesn't allow the same character in multiple classes leaderboards. That could be a nother reason for the 10 month long preseason and then this bombshell.

I agree and believe this was one of the major reasons. SWTOR is looking to have new players subscribe to the MMO and make it easier for them to enjoy and hopefully sustain subscriptions. Providing resources to the ranked PVP community didn't fit the new direction of SWTOR comfortably enough to argue it would be a profitable endeavor to keep supporting. I think most can agree that ranked PVP was "toxic." Rank PVP is relatively small; although a loyal, community that didn't support growth. The toxicity, innate lack of community support for nobe, and general disdain for anybody to try to enter rank PVP with; may God forgive them, wrong gear on just doesn't inspire support to keep Rank PVP going. I wish rank could stay a part of the game.  However, I think it is clear that it would have needed changes to the Rank PVP community as well as to the dev team supporting it.  Can anybody honestly say that the Rank PVP community and the players that made it toxic could change to help make it more inviting to a new player?  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, after-party said:

I agree and believe this was one of the major reasons. SWTOR is looking to have new players subscribe to the MMO and make it easier for them to enjoy and hopefully sustain subscriptions. Providing resources to the ranked PVP community didn't fit the new direction of SWTOR comfortably enough to argue it would be a profitable endeavor to keep supporting. I think most can agree that ranked PVP was "toxic." Rank PVP is relatively small; although a loyal, community that didn't support growth. The toxicity, innate lack of community support for nobe, and general disdain for anybody to try to enter rank PVP with; may God forgive them, wrong gear on just doesn't inspire support to keep Rank PVP going. I wish rank could stay a part of the game.  However, I think it is clear that it would have needed changes to the Rank PVP community as well as to the dev team supporting it.  Can anybody honestly say that the Rank PVP community and the players that made it toxic could change to help make it more inviting to a new player?  

Just speaking on the toxicity, the reason it's even noticable is because the community is small. If you look at games with cross server queues in their ranked system like WoW. There's still bad/new players  queueing up but since the queue size goes to tons and tons of players from every server you don't have to play with them match after match. Get one bad player and there's no need to tell him to get better gear because you'll most likely never see them again. But here since they refuse to add cross server queues there's a chance you'll get that person in 320 gear 10 matches in a row. Anyone would get toxic after that happens.

Edited by Prapcaster

22 hours ago, after-party said:

general disdain for anybody to try to enter rank PVP with; may God forgive them, wrong gear on just doesn't inspire support to keep Rank PVP going.

I don't want to be a jerk, but showing up for in-season rated competition without expertise gear (using very old gear system for clarity) is unacceptable. it RUINS the entire premise of rated competition. it guarantees that your team will lose because someone (nub) just jumped into NFL or the Premiere League after having played high school football for a week. if that nub is you, then YOU are ruining the game for others. so yeah, they're going to flame you, and deservedly so.

that's drastically different from being new to rated arenas (e.g.) on your sorc and getting globalled and then having to be told about how to kite or what where to go.

and btw, BW agreed. they set a minimum ilvl for entry into rated competition. you don't have to be good to play. but you do have to at least show up to a gun fight with a gun. eesh.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 5:26 AM, septru said:

I usually don't post in the forums but I had to address this issue of ranked pvp being toxic over and over again.

I was playing solo ranked on SF and SS preseason and was looking forward for season 15. Bummed they took it out!!!! Not sure if I will continue to play because I think Swtor is such a great PVP game and that's what I enjoy the most. (eps 4v4s).

As for the "toxicity" of ranked...I didn't really notice any. Only few "do this in this situation or do that" etc etc. Just like how raid leader would tell you know to fight the boss. I am not saying there is no toxic people in ranked but I think ALL games have toxicity. I got chewed out little bit here and there but nothing crazy because they knew I knew how to play but still learning ranked. So I would have good games and bad games, but never did they go past the to the level it would be called "toxic"

I think over the years getting a bad reputation of being toxic the veteran players were actually more careful NOT to be overly toxic, and I found the experience enjoyable. Like nobody wanted to tell a brand new 320 gear player "hey maybe you should practice in regs little bit more" after getting globaled 15 times in a row.

Maybe it was super toxic back in the days but the toxicity level of how it is NOW is overly exaggerated. It was the opposite. If you count the vet players being "stand off-ish" as "toxic" then maybe. But after I msg'd few vet players and asked for help, they helped me so much. 

I am truly sad the removed ranked......because this was one of my favorite game since the weekend beta launch....I wish the best of luck to all the pvp'ers and maybe I'll be on here and there as a non-subscriber in arenas

and shout out to Prum (septru), I see him pushing back against removal of ranked and I appreciate that. The couple games that I was in with you, you were very laid back and helpful with direction of what to do. (Months back I saw you hesitate telling someone nicely to practice little more in regs because he was ruining the games with 320 gear and wrong tactical) 

Well that was my 2 cents that probably doesn't matter to BW or anyone else but had to get it off my chest.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, makaveliin said:

I was playing solo ranked on SF and SS preseason and was looking forward for season 15. Bummed they took it out!!!! Not sure if I will continue to play because I think Swtor is such a great PVP game and that's what I enjoy the most. (eps 4v4s).

sorry to you and anyone else that went into ranked with a good mindset, looking to improve... and now have nothing to work towards. :(

Dunno about others, but for me - The only reason I'd ever try ranked would be for the ranked rewards like the weapons, outfits, etc. 
But the road to get those cosmetics was a real pain for someone new to ranked. Sure, I get that the struggle is the price in this case - But that doesn't stop me from wanting those rewards. 
This just makes them more accessible to me, which again, for me - Is a big win. That's why I'm personally happy with the change. But I'm not a regular ranked player so take that opinion for what it is. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IIHawkerII said:

Dunno about others, but for me - The only reason I'd ever try ranked would be for the ranked rewards like the weapons, outfits, etc. 
But the road to get those cosmetics was a real pain for someone new to ranked. Sure, I get that the struggle is the price in this case - But that doesn't stop me from wanting those rewards. 
This just makes them more accessible to me, which again, for me - Is a big win. That's why I'm personally happy with the change. But I'm not a regular ranked player so take that opinion for what it is. 🤷‍♂️

It's a big win to you because those rewards were locked behind skill

• Like 2
  • Confused 1