You don't need Satellite B to win

illgot

I keep running across this, your team will own satellite A and satellite C. 1-3 people on your team will stop guarding and attack B because "You need satellite B to WiN!!"

No you don't. You only need 2 satellites to win the game.

Yes, it is harder to get from A to C, but scouts and strikers can move between locations and Hypergates makes owning B unnecessary. There is no reason to stop guarding A or C just because your team does not own B.

This same mentality can be seen in unranked PvP. Your team may own East and West but players will constantly throw themselves at Mid because they think that you need Mid to win.

You do not need Satellite B to win in GSF.

Edited by illgot
  • Like 3

that is true if you already have A and C.

you do how ever still need to attack B, not necessary take it, and you still need to defend A and C, at this point defending is priority to taking B. So yeah, your correct, don't need B to win, unless you're behind.

A win can happen with just one sat, if you can keep the other 2 neutral.

In WZ, some if not most modes, Kills win, not objectives, it's not like that in GSF , were the objective is capture and hold. The enemy can have a gazillion kills, and not win, if they don't capture and hold.

Yes you do not need B to win thats true. Ive been in more than one match where we won with A and C.

the trick is that first as Achmaattwo said above you do need to pressure the off sat and keep your enemy aware of it. if the enemy team thinks they can leave B unguarded or with only one guard then they can send between 7-11 pilots to hit A or C at their leisure. which means with 4-6 defenders tops your outnumbered and might lose one of your prime sats

Also B is the center prime sat for more than just the fact that its in the middle. its easier to defend and float between A and B or B and C than it is trying to provide defense coverage for the two furtherst apart.  This can be especially dangerous on a map like Denon where distance is ever further than on the others, or with a well coordinated team that can work together well,

In conclusion you always want to pick your two primary Sats based on which side you start on A and B or B and C and harass the off sat A or C  at the start try to cap the prime sats then hold as best you can. if the match puts you in an A C situation sure good to go defend your sats but dont forget to put pressure on B so the enemy team doesnt get comfortable

I would also say it depends on the Domination map. For Mesas, and shipyards B is definitely not needed.

However if your in a Denon match, while it may not be needed, I seldom see groups win without B, due to the fact the map size is so large, that it makes it far more difficult to protect A/C. In this case having B and either A or C makes that specific map a lot easier to win.

Edited by Toraak

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 10:30 AM, Toraak said:

I would also say it depends on the Domination map. For Mesas, and shipyards B is definitely not needed.

However if your in a Denon match, while it may not be needed, I seldom see groups win without B, due to the fact the map size is so large, that it makes it far more difficult to protect A/C. In this case having B and either A or C makes that specific map a lot easier to win.

you seldom see groups without B win because the majority of players will focus on B no matter what is going on. Even when skill levels between the teams is even, a team owning A and C will often keep trying to take B even if it means losing A or C. There are no tactics, people who are bad in PvP will always focus on the closest location, this happens in Unranked PvP as well.

The only ships that have issues traveling between A and C on any map are gunships and bombers. Those ships can not make the distance but scounts and strike fighters can with the proper kits.

I've seen too many games lost because someone starts screaming about needing to take B to win even though we own A and C and the enemy is close in skill to our team.

When this happens we lose one satellite due to lack of guards and fail to take B.

5 hours ago, illgot said:

you seldom see groups without B win because the majority of players will focus on B no matter what is going on. Even when skill levels between the teams is even, a team owning A and C will often keep trying to take B even if it means losing A or C. There are no tactics, people who are bad in PvP will always focus on the closest location, this happens in Unranked PvP as well.

The only ships that have issues traveling between A and C on any map are gunships and bombers. Those ships can not make the distance but scounts and strike fighters can with the proper kits.

I've seen too many games lost because someone starts screaming about needing to take B to win even though we own A and C and the enemy is close in skill to our team.

When this happens we lose one satellite due to lack of guards and fail to take B.

In Mesas, and Shipyards you are correct that only Gunships, and bomber's have issues getting from A to C. However on Denon, this is FALSE. The gap between A, and C in that particular map is so large that Strikes can easily have issues getting from A to C or C to A in time to stop a cap without running close to empty on Engines (If they don't run out on the way). If your not topped off on Engines when you need to swap from one to the other you will run out.

this is why I said it depends on the map. The size of Denon is far bigger then the other 2 maps, so in this map only B is far more important.

Edited by Toraak
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Toraak said:

In Mesas, and Shipyards you are correct that only Gunships, and bomber's have issues getting from A to C. However on Denon, this is FALSE. The gap between A, and C in that particular map is so large that Strikes can easily have issues getting from A to C or C to A in time to stop a cap without running close to empty on Engines (If they don't run out on the way). If your not topped off on Engines when you need to swap from one to the other you will run out.

this is why I said it depends on the map. The size of Denon is far bigger then the other 2 maps, so in this map only B is far more important.

The Quell and Rycer with the Speed Thruster have no issues getting between A and C.

For anything that does have issues I self destruct and respawn then travel to other side of the map. Even if you get caught with a 10 second respawn timer that is less time traveling than running out of engine power and slowly regenerating especially if you have to cross an opposition occupied B.

I rarely play the Imperium because it is more of a support ship and lacks the Speed Thruster option.

and back on topic, you don't need B to win. If your team can defend A and C they can win. If they abandon A or C because "you always need satellite B to win" your team is wrong. Satellite B offers an advantage backing up A or B but that is not the most important factor in Satellites. Playing smart and defending the two satellites your team owns does more to help win the game than panicking and refusing to defend a satellite because you don't own B.

Lets say your team abandons A or C to try and take B. Three primary scenario's can take place.

1) Best case scenario is you take all three satellites. If any team managers to take all three satellites, that team is probably far superior to the opposition and would have easily won with A and C only.

2) you take B and lose the satellite you abandon. Now you have the same number of satellites with the advantage of going between two satellites faster. But now the enemy team is going to try and focus on B because that's what players do, they tend to focus on mid over anything else.

3) you fail to take B and lose the satellite you abandon. Now your team has lost the advantage of owning two satellites and given the enemy team the advantage of going between satellites faster.

The team that owns B and a second satellite has an advantage of traveling between satellites, but it is 100% incorrect to think that the only way to win satellites is to own B.

Edited by illgot

On 11/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, illgot said:

The Quell and Rycer with the Speed Thruster have no issues getting between A and C.

For anything that does have issues I self destruct and respawn then travel to other side of the map. Even if you get caught with a 10 second respawn timer that is less time traveling than running out of engine power and slowly regenerating especially if you have to cross an opposition occupied B.

I rarely play the Imperium because it is more of a support ship and lacks the Speed Thruster option.

and back on topic, you don't need B to win. If your team can defend A and C they can win. If they abandon A or C because "you always need satellite B to win" your team is wrong. Satellite B offers an advantage backing up A or B but that is not the most important factor in Satellites. Playing smart and defending the two satellites your team owns does more to help win the game than panicking and refusing to defend a satellite because you don't own B.

Lets say your team abandons A or C to try and take B. Three primary scenario's can take place.

1) Best case scenario is you take all three satellites. If any team managers to take all three satellites, that team is probably far superior to the opposition and would have easily won with A and C only.

2) you take B and lose the satellite you abandon. Now you have the same number of satellites with the advantage of going between two satellites faster. But now the enemy team is going to try and focus on B because that's what players do, they tend to focus on mid over anything else.

3) you fail to take B and lose the satellite you abandon. Now your team has lost the advantage of owning two satellites and given the enemy team the advantage of going between satellites faster.

The team that owns B and a second satellite has an advantage of traveling between satellites, but it is 100% incorrect to think that the only way to win satellites is to own B.

Now I see. Your basing your comments on Strikes having a specific build. Well not everyone uses Speed Thrusters on Quell or Rycer for Dom matches exclusively. I build my ships for both Dom and TDM's, so I use Regen thrusters, and I can confirm you can easily run out of Engines going from A to C. 

Also I don't know to many people that would intentionally Self Destruct to launch from the other spawn point.

51 minutes ago, Toraak said:

Now I see. Your basing your comments on Strikes having a specific build. Well not everyone uses Speed Thrusters on Quell or Rycer for Dom matches exclusively. I build my ships for both Dom and TDM's, so I use Regen thrusters, and I can confirm you can easily run out of Engines going from A to C. 

Also I don't know to many people that would intentionally Self Destruct to launch from the other spawn point.

oh yeah, you need to have thrusters option to get between locations. I play a lot of hit and run builds but when I'm on a slower ship I self destruct to travel between A and C. Sometimes I get lucky and a smart bomber has dropped a hypergate closer to the attacking location. I wish more people understood that self destructing on satellites can be a huge advantage when attacking multiple locations.

I don't care about my stats though :)

Edited by illgot

• 1 month later...

The reason B is tactically important, but not necessary to win with is, that it is central to the other two nodes.

If you capture B and C, you only have to go that distance to help the other node.  Same for B and A.

Having A and C, makes travel longer to be able to help your other node.

But, if like me, you have potato team mates (because I solo queue), it doesnt really matter, haha

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It should also be added that if you have to go from A to C (or vice versa) to reinforce it, you may come under fire from enemies at B, unless you waste time and engine energy to skirt around it. So by the time you reach the far end, you may not only be tapped on engine power, but possibly shields/hull as well. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/4/2022 at 8:31 PM, illgot said:

I keep running across this, your team will own satellite A and satellite C. 1-3 people on your team will stop guarding and attack B because "You need satellite B to WiN!!"

No you don't. You only need 2 satellites to win the game.

Yes, it is harder to get from A to C, but scouts and strikers can move between locations and Hypergates makes owning B unnecessary. There is no reason to stop guarding A or C just because your team does not own B.

This same mentality can be seen in unranked PvP. Your team may own East and West but players will constantly throw themselves at Mid because they think that you need Mid to win.

You do not need Satellite B to win in GSF.

Amen, I have seen so many games lost because of this mentality.  Keep what you have, and deny the other team access.