What's Up With the Recent Overuse of One-Time Login Passwords?!?

ReKabNad

I'm not sure what's going on here in 2022, but an abnormally high percentage of the time when I go to login to play the game, y'all now make me wait for an emailed one-time login password to be received so I can enter it.

Not only did the game just do this to me at login tonight, but the Forums did, as well, claiming they don't recognize my computer. This is the same gaming laptop I've been playing this game on since I began playing it roughly 2 and a half years ago! So none of this makes any sense.

So, you know... what's up with that? :confused:

I'm not sure what's going on here in 2022, but an abnormally high percentage of the time when I go to login to play the game, y'all now make me wait for an emailed one-time login password to be received so I can enter it.

Not only did the game just do this to me at login tonight, but the Forums did, as well, claiming they don't recognize my computer. This is the same gaming laptop I've been playing this game on since I began playing it roughly 2 and a half years ago! So none of this makes any sense.

It has to do with the ip address. Are you logging in in different locations, using public wifi etc..

it's called two factor authentication and it is done because humans aren't capable of using good passwords. There is an App you can download then you won't have to wait for the E-Mail, obviously the forums require it too since on the website you can turn the security key off, it would be kind of pointless if you needed it for the game, but not the website Edited by ZUHFB

Without going into detail, it's mostly based upon your IP address. Your IP address can change because you log in from different places - such as school, home, work - or, most likely, because it's being changed/reset by your local ISP. The ISP may be doing some maintenance and/or upgrades that (temporarily) result in your IP changing.

Edited by JediQuaker

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 9:19 AM, JediQuaker said:

Without going into detail, it's mostly based upon your IP address. Your IP address can change because you log in from different places - such as school, home, work - or, most likely, because it's being changed/reset by your local ISP. The ISP may be doing some maintenance and/or upgrades that (temporarily) result in your IP changing.

Okay, so, the day I posted this, I was on vacation, and in another state, connected using my phone's Mobile Hotspot Mode, so that makes sense, at least.

But when I'm at home, using my same home internet that I always use, it makes less sense.

Thanks for the additional info everyone, much obliged. :csw_fett:

Are you a robot . .. you're robot . . 😱 guys . . guys  . . they're a robot  ☺️

could also possibly mean phone company working on the lines, just about any type of disconnect, at home or somewhere in between can cause a ip change.

only complaint I have about the Onetime Password, is the time it sometimes takes , a couple times it was longer then 15 minutes, odd thing is when it is sent the second time, almost instant . . now why didn't that happen the first time ?

What I find interesting is that the new forum has been decoupled from the game login. Previously, if I had lost Internet connectivity and needed to enter a one-time password, and entered it on the launcher, I was not confronted with a one-time password request on the forums, and vice-versa. Now, I must enter it in both places.

9 hours ago, Achnaattwo said:

only complaint I have about the Onetime Password, is the time it sometimes takes , a couple times it was longer then 15 minutes, odd thing is when it is sent the second time, almost instant . . now why didn't that happen the first time ?

There can be a difference between the time when something is 'sent' and the time when it arrives. 😏

Edited by JediQuaker

5 hours ago, xordevoreaux said:

What I find interesting is that the new forum has been decoupled from the game login. Previously, if I had lost Internet connectivity and needed to enter a one-time password, and entered it on the launcher, I was not confronted with a one-time password request on the forums, and vice-versa. Now, I must enter it in both places.

After the power went out due to hurricane Fiona, I needed an OTP for the forums, but not for the game. 🤔

You guys do know that you can get a security key set up and never get those again, right? And you don't have to use your phone or anything either. Something like WinAuth will work just fine and run on your desktop. Technically that defeats the purpose of 2FA in the first place if your computer is somehow compromised, but if that happens you probably have bigger problems than the ten year old Star Wars MMO. 

Up to you to decide if that tiny risk is worth it, but imo at least it absolutely is. And realistically it's no more dangerous than receiving a one time password in your email, because you're probably already/always logged in there anyway so it's not as though it's any less secure than that. 

It is very annoying I agree. I have found out what is coursing me to have to use the onetime password so often. It when I am using the VPN, if VPN is swiched of I don't need to use it unless it's on an account I have not logged into for some time. Then only need to use it once as long as VPN of off when I play the game. If like many you want VPN on all the time, unfortunately it's something you need to put up with.

It is VPN in my case, maybe another reason for you OP. If, however, you have recently started using VPN it probably is that.

11 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

So rather than occasionally having to enter a second password, you're suggesting having to enter a second password EVERY FREAKING TIME!? Yeah, that makes logging in easier. 😂

It actually does, since you don't have to rely on their email service to work correctly. You get used to it; takes maybe three seconds longer to log in and you get free CC for it. If they're going to make you do it so much you might as well get a reward for it, right?

17 hours ago, DakhathKilrathi said:

It actually does, since you don't have to rely on their email service to work correctly. You get used to it; takes maybe three seconds longer to log in and you get free CC for it. If they're going to make you do it so much you might as well get a reward for it, right?

so if what I read and understand what I read, is the only difference is your getting free CC ?

5 hours ago, Achnaattwo said:

so if what I read and understand what I read, is the only difference is your getting free CC ?

You also don't have to wait for the one time password or hope it arrives in your email. There's really no downside especially if you run an authenticator on your desktop.