Faction imbalance on my server is ridiculous.

Crossknive

Come on people, roll Republic. I login to my republic character, go to the fleet. Fairly empty, got a large pack of people all grouped into one spot in the middle.

Login to my Empire character, go to the fleet. I see massive groups of people everywhere.

:mad::mad:

EDIT: Ignore my sig. I made that during beta, and plans changed since then, and I was too lazy to change it.

Edited by Crossknive

This is a pretty common problem in most MMOs. Everyone wants to be the "cool, evil" class. Their cookies taste better or something. Not much you can do besides giving some incentives to go republic. But what? One positive is the ability to make both faction toons on the same server. I have both. I'd encourage every player to have a character on both sides.

This is a pretty common problem in most MMOs. Everyone wants to be the "cool, evil" class. Their cookies taste better or something. Not much you can do besides giving some incentives to go republic. But what? One positive is the ability to make both faction toons on the same server. I have both. I'd encourage every player to have a character on both sides.

Eh, I would say that the opposite was for the majority of players in WoW where the Alliance was the dominant force.

In DAOC it always seemed Albion (Good guys) were the major faction.

The dual faction scheme established by Blizzard and WoW is going to have this problem where the factions only interact with lightsabers and blasters and little else.

I preferred the faction designs of FF XI where the nation states were in a very loose alliance with one another and battling a bigger enemy but could still battle one another in FF XI's attempt at PvP.

Just my own thoughts. =)

If you like PvP, then you are in luck!

When you queue up for PvP encounters you will get right into the game, while the other side probably have waited for a long long time. .. so its always something good in any situation :)

If you like PvP, then you are in luck!

When you queue up for PvP encounters you will get right into the game, while the other side probably have waited for a long long time. .. so its always something good in any situation :)

Yea we seem to be stuck with huttball all the time on Empire. I rolled empire as I always thought the sith and their background was much better than the republic, nothing to do with "cool evil dudes."

Eh, I would say that the opposite was for the majority of players in WoW where the Alliance was the dominant force.

The dual faction scheme established by Blizzard and WoW is going to have this problem where the factions only interact with lightsabers and blasters and little else.

I preferred the faction designs of FF XI where the nation states were in a very loose alliance with one another and battling a bigger enemy but could still battle one another in FF XI's attempt at PvP.

Just my own thoughts. =)

Wow had an alliance majority at the start. This was because all horde races were ugly, specifically the female toons. Blood Elves solved that problem, and after faction transfers were allowed, a lot of people switched to Horde. If you look at wowprogress.com, most top guilds are horde. Also, horde greatly outnumber alliance on pvp servers.

I made a JC to PvP with for this very reason. I love the empire Class and Story. I find the Jedi/Republic to be very dull. However, I am tired of only playing huttball on my Imperial characters. Rolling republic for PvP was my only option to get WZ diversity.

I was of the mind that cross server WZ's would solve this issue, but now I do not think it will. It would be the same problem, just on a much larger scale.

I always play the dark/bad side of an MMO and it is always over populated.

I feel sorry for the other side when it comes to grouping up and do raid content.

The dark/bad side never have a problem there. I still have horrid memories of trying to do pvp faction content in other mmo's where you had to wait what felt like forever until the other side managed to fill up their spots.

This is MMO's however... in all my MMO time, starting in UO, it has always been the same.

On a side note.. why dont they make MMO's with 3 factions?? Would probably even out the population.

Yeah, having the "evil" side be the majority is a first in my experience. I was Alb in DAoC and you had to consciously avoid accumulating a zerg and keep it to 8-man. In vanilla WoW my server was easily 3:1 Alliance to Horde, but ultimately Alliance would complain that the Horde players had a better community. I think the "underdog" side tends to end up with the stronger, more tight-knit feel, especially on pvp servers where you are forced to cooperate to survive. Being under fire all the time has it's own advantages, and often the less populated side has the most skilled players. I'm considering switching to Republic myself, it's just that my GF and RL friends are all Empire.

We all rolled Empire thinking that Republic would be by far the majority on release. Usually folks gravitate to the "good guys". Perhaps it's a sign of the times that the opposite seems to be true...

Yeah, having the "evil" side be the majority is a first in my experience. I was Alb in DAoC and you had to consciously avoid accumulating a zerg and keep it to 8-man. In vanilla WoW my server was easily 3:1 Alliance to Horde, but ultimately Alliance would complain that the Horde players had a better community. I think the "underdog" side tends to end up with the stronger, more tight-knit feel, especially on pvp servers where you are forced to cooperate to survive. Being under fire all the time has it's own advantages, and often the less populated side has the most skilled players. I'm considering switching to Republic myself, it's just that my GF and RL friends are all Empire.

We all rolled Empire thinking that Republic would be by far the majority on release. Usually folks gravitate to the "good guys". Perhaps it's a sign of the times that the opposite seems to be true...

Yeah in wow i didnt have this problem, thats true... could just go up to an pvp instance and get right in... guess thats our republic now.

Everyone thinks that all the kiddies will go Republic so they roll Empire. I'm honestly considering a reroll to Republic because of shorter Q times (plus I hate playing Sorc/Sage in PVP it is just unfun to me).

For example, everyone in WoW used to play Alliance and the Horde got this reputation as the ******, mature side. So what did everyone do? Become ****** and mature by rolling Horde.

People want to be ******es, so they roll the side that tolerates this the most.

I miss SWG where you could A) flip flop from faction to faction and B) be neutral if you wanted. it kept things way more realistic.

I want to see a game like that again.. where EVERYONE starts on the same couple of planets no mater if your going to go good or evil and then you slowly grow apart depending on what direction you decided to go.

I rolled Republic knowing that everyone would roll Empire. It was obvious:

1)The empire has much cooler races (the two empire-only races "Sith Pureblood" and "Chiss" are far cooler than the idiotic Republic races - I dont even know their names.

2)the spell effects for the sorceror look much better than the sage's. The names themselves, would you rather play a class named "Sorceror" or "Sage"? "Bounty Hunter" or "Trooper"

3)The gear, as shown in the previews looks way better for the empire side.

4)All the kids run evil. MMORPGS attract an ever younger crowd.

5)All the "hardcore gamers" "pvp pros" and "elitists" choose the evil side.

You're left with a smaller proportion of kids, about half the older gamers, and 2/3 of role-players going Republic.

I'm surprised the ratio is not even more unbalanced.

Edited by monimoni

I rolled Republic knowing that everyone would roll Empire. It was obvious:

1)The empire has much cooler races (the two empire-only races "Sith Pureblood" and "Chiss" are far cooler than the idiotic Republic races - I dont even know their names.

How do you not know the names of staple species of Star Wars?

It seems I always pick the most populated faction. I have a few character in their teens(alt-aholic). But I prefer my Imperial Agent. While when I tried a Smuggler I couldn't get past the voice. And I like Bounty Hunter animations better as the Trooper ones(I rather have two blaste as one huge gun).

But who know, I still like the Republic, maybe I'll try a Jedi next. :D

I will admit I don't know the current sever populations of WoW but my experience was exactly like yours.

In the case of TOR a lot of my gaming friends, avid WoW players, took a poll after I had left the game and decided to establish a guild for the Empire. I tried to argue the case that I was tired of playing the bad guy (Horde, City of Villains, Villains in DC Online) and wanted to be good.

In the end they stuck to their guns so I was forced to make the choice many players have; to either play alone with the faction I want or play with my friends and stomach the Empire.

In the end I don't mind the choice but its hard to stomach how Empire = Evil and only evil. All its missing is the sinister laughs and dooms day machines. In reality a faction isn't out to be EVIL, they're out to survive, colonize, etc. But the way the Empire acts feels very cartoonish in its delivery.

There's being subtly evil and then there's being overtly evil merely to establish the player that Empire = bad.