suggestion to make sellers name on GTN clickable to copy&paste

Pepermint

It would be very handy to have this feature, to copy & paste the sellers name into your friends or ignorelist.

1. Some names have so many accents or are totally unreadable

2. Not everyone has an keyboard that supports all funny signs or know what the correct code is for the sign.

3. You can notice directly if that seller is Republic or Empire player.(I case you like to take contact, not stalking ofcourse)

4. Fast way to find out guildbankthieves:csw_probe:

It is a suggestion, and my personal thought, don't need snide or cynic commentary on it please.:rolleyes:

For clarification, why would a person need to "ignore" a player from a GTN listing?

Also, if this helps, you can order a USB numpad to plug into your PC if your Keyboard doesn't have one already.

Edited by BRKMSN

Also, if this helps, you can order a USB numpad to plug into your PC if your Keyboard doesn't have one already.

I think that OP was actually referring to the (physical) keyboard layout, the difference between QWERTY and (say) AZERTY (for French). AZERTY has some direct keys for accented letters (éèçàù) and "dead key" sequences that work for others (e.g. âêîôûäëïöü), obviating the need for me to use Alt+numpad codes for those letters.

He said why: identifying guildbank thieves. And I'm guessing he wants to ignore them to find out the legacy name.

My advice to OP: limit access to your guildbank instead. I know there are people who take the max amount of items each week, no matter how small the limit is and no matter how worthless the items are. But selling them piles up eventually. There are tons of easier ways to make credits in game, but some people just have that kind of personality.

If you suspect someone of doing that, take screenies of the bank log, compare to older logs and what other people take, keep an eye on that person to see if is even playing in the guild or just logging in to take weekly items from the bank. Then just confront them. I've seen a leech like that rage quitting a guild when their intentions were questioned.

He said why: identifying guildbank thieves. And I'm guessing he wants to ignore them to find out the legacy name.

You can get all the information you need from the guild logs if that's the case. I'm just curious what the underlying reason is for wanting to have name-click functions on the GTN. Even if you "ignore" someone, you will still see their GTN listings.

There have been a couple times where someone has contacted one of my characters about a trade offer for something I had listed on the GTN. I suppose adding a player to your friend list would allow you to know when they are online if you are trying to contact them.

You can get all the information you need from the guild logs if that's the case. I'm just curious what the underlying reason is for wanting to have name-click functions on the GTN. Even if you "ignore" someone, you will still see their GTN listings.

There have been a couple times where someone has contacted one of my characters about a trade offer for something I had listed on the GTN. I suppose adding a player to your friend list would allow you to know when they are online if you are trying to contact them.

He doesn't want to ignore the seller, he wants to find out the legacy name of the seller. You find that out by ignoring them.

He doesn't want to ignore the seller, he wants to find out the legacy name of the seller. You find that out by ignoring them.

I don't use the ignore feature, but if that is in fact the case, I think the devs made a huge mistake allowing people to have access to a player's legacy name (outside of guild participation which is a player's choice to join).

I don't use the ignore feature, but if that is in fact the case, I think the devs made a huge mistake allowing people to have access to a player's legacy name (outside of guild participation which is a player's choice to join).

The information is less useful than people think, of course, since legacy names aren't constrained to be unique. (The constraint was removed in patch 1.3.7, ffs.)

And if legacy-ignore *doesn't* show the ignored account's legacy name, how would you propose that it should show the information? (Bearing in mind that the ignored *character* can be deleted, renamed, etc., and if it's renamed or deleted, some other player could use that name.)

EDIT: And of course the ability to display, either as a "surname" or as a legacy title ("Of the XXXXXXX Legacy"'), your legacy name is also a way for me to learn that player's legacy name, although at least there it's that player's choice...

Edited by SteveTheCynic

The information is less useful than people think, of course, since legacy names aren't constrained to be unique. (The constraint was removed in patch 1.3.7, ffs.)

And if legacy-ignore *doesn't* show the ignored account's legacy name, how would you propose that it should show the information? (Bearing in mind that the ignored *character* can be deleted, renamed, etc., and if it's renamed or deleted, some other player could use that name.)

EDIT: And of course the ability to display, either as a "surname" or as a legacy title ("Of the XXXXXXX Legacy"'), your legacy name is also a way for me to learn that player's legacy name, although at least there it's that player's choice...

Obviously displaying the legacy name is the player's choice.

But to answer your other question, since Legacy names are not unique, the game is tracking something different than the legacy name itself. What it is actually tracking (probably some identification number), isn't available for other players to see anyway. Therefor, there is no reason to display the legacy (surname) of another account unless you are trying to give players a way to identify players' characters that are otherwise trying to remain anonymous.

So in all the threads requesting Legacy ignore over the years, I argued against the feature in defense of protecting player anonymity. Everybody assured me that "it wouldn't actually display the surname" in players ignore lists. Now, if this information is correct, I'm finding out that the devs have indeed botched legacy ignore and allowed an easy exploit feature to remove anonymity.

You're arguing that the information is "less useful than I think." That is true in most cases, but take a player like myself for example. I have nobody on my ignore list. I play GSF regularly on many characters, but not a lot on just 1. I come across good pilots out there with different character names. Now I can simply add that character to my ignore list, find out the legacy name, remove that character from my ignore list, add another good pilot later and start comparing legacy names to find out who is behind each character. The information is useful to anybody that wants it obviously. It also makes things easier for stalkers.