So...most players will NOT get 5 days of early access.

Larishet

Game launched on the 13th and early access was "promised" on the 15th. Now, since we learn that early access is actually until the 19th, that means that 57% of players won't get those 5 days.

Is there any reason to keep a pre-order now? Gamestop already messed up by not getting pre-order codes to customers. I'm ready to just tell them to screw themselves and I'll buy the game online or cheaper off ebay from a rage-quitter. It'll save me a trip to the store.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game launched on the 13th and early access was "promised" on the 15th. Now, since we learn that early access is actually until the 19th, that means that 57% of players won't get those 5 days.

Is there any reason to keep a pre-order now? Gamestop already messed up by not getting pre-order codes to customers. I'm ready to just tell them to screw themselves and I'll buy the game online or cheaper off ebay from a rage-quitter. It'll save me a trip to the store.

Even from the day pre-orders were available it said "you MAY get UP TO 5 days access".

--------------->

English comprehesion website is that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I wasn't so bored I wouldn't even bother reading/posting here. *sigh*

They never promised 5 days of early access. I never had that impression and I haven't been following the game very closely until recently.

You do realize that early access is the ONLY incentive to pre-order, right? This is the year 2010, and digital downloads have the concept of "sold out" obsolete. If they want our money before the game actually comes out, they better give us something worth it. I didn't preorder for an asterisk, I preordered for early access.

What part of "up to five days" did you not understand?

No it didn't.

yes it did:

''Welcome Message from Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk '

This is a big day for us; we are launching Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare’s largest and most ambitious project to date, and we’re very proud that you’ve been able to join us. It’s an honor to be able to share this game with you.''

Edited by Dogblaster

Please show the math you used. Thank you in advance. :)

Please learn to comprehend what you read. They said up to 5 days of early game access. The only guarantee I've seen is 1 day of access. If you don't like it, cancel your pre-order and play the game on the 20th.

You do realize that early access is the ONLY incentive to pre-order, right? This is the year 2010, and digital downloads have the concept of "sold out" obsolete. If they want our money before the game actually comes out, they better give us something worth it. I didn't preorder for an asterisk, I preordered for early access.

where did you get your asterisk from? it didnt come with my preorder :/

Here is a reality, while it states "up to 5 days" most everyone who pre-ordered probably did so with the belief their pre-order was buying them access 5 days early, not just 1 or 2. Why, because customers had no way of knowing how many of those 5 days they would get depending on when they ordered. A person pre-ordering on December 12th was given the same promise as the person who ordered on July 1st, yet the reality is that the person who ordered on Dec 12th in no way shape or form will get more than 1-2 days early access, yet he paid the same early access cost.

If anything you could make a somewhat valid argument BioWare was using deceptive marketing techniques to play on this belief when in reality they knew fully well most people probably won't get anywhere near to 5 days of early access. It's about as honest and ethical as saying you created and/or saved jobs.

If anything this staggered launch will go down in the annals of MMO history as an abysmal customer service fiasco, or people will rapidly forget about it and the bottom line of BioWare will show it was a financial success (at the cost of a little customer satisfaction capitol) and you can rest assured future MMO launches will replicate it.

Edited by Godzillamax

What part of "up to five days" did you not understand?

You missed the point. It's about what a pre-order is actually worth. It's the same amount of money either way, BUT investing money into a game early despite knowing whether or not it's good requires an incentive.

You missed the point. It's about what a pre-order is actually worth. It's the same amount of money either way, BUT investing money into a game early despite knowing whether or not it's good requires an incentive.

You do know that you aren't fully charged the whole amount until the game is shipped or on the official release date, right?

Even from the day pre-orders were available it said "you MAY get UP TO 5 days access".

--------------->

English comprehesion website is that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I wasn't so bored I wouldn't even bother reading/posting here. *sigh*

The 'up to' part wasn't actually translated in all languages and was omitted in some countries.

First of all, its 2011. Second, they said from the beginning "UP TO 5 DAYS", meaning you could get 5, you could get 1. Turns out they decided to open the doors 2 extra days early.

And they don't just do early access to sell more pre-orders. They give in game incentives to also entice people to pre-order. They do early access to ease the servers and the software into it. Have you never played a game on launch day that didn't offer early access? Server crashes, login queues, authentication and account server crashes. Anyone remember SWG? Even WoW had a few bumps in the first few days.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.