Treasure Hunting Lockboxes vs slicing lockboxes

Bellaralo

I know this is going to come off very silly, but... bear with me!

I have a very low treasure hunting alt. who I have been sending out on missions for just lockboxes, and is yielding more profit now then the slicing ones. I typically get back the cost of the mission, or a little more + sometimes a item which I avoid the GTN 100% and vendor it.

I ran as many TH missions at the lowest tier.. been making about 200c-500c profit off these TH lockboxes.

I know how people like to pick on slicers for getting credits "just by pushing a button", but what about treasure hunters who can do the same thing? Not only do they get credits, but they get BOE's which can fetch quite a bit just by vendoring.

Anyone have an spreadsheets, or data on TH lockboxes, with average profit? I would like to see if I should replace slicing with TH since the nerf to get more out of my credit investment.

Edited by Bellaralo

I know this is going to come off very silly, but... bear with me!

I have a very low treasure hunting alt. who I have been sending out on missions for just lockboxes, and is yielding more profit now then the slicing ones. I typically get back the cost of the mission, or a little more + sometimes a item which I avoid the GTN 100% and vendor it.

I ran as many TH missions at the lowest tier.. been making about 200c-500c profit off these TH lockboxes.

I know how people like to pick on slicers for getting credits "just by pushing a button", but what about treasure hunters who can do the same thing? Not only do they get credits, but they get BOE's which can fetch quite a bit just by vendoring.

Anyone have an spreadsheets, or data on TH lockboxes, with average profit? I would like to see if I should replace slicing with TH since the nerf to get more out of my credit investment.

Wait TH gets cash boxes too?

Yeah, when I send my companion on a treasure box mission I usually get around the cost of the mission it self plus a little extra, and from time to time a boe.

So what you are saying it was better than slicing all along?

Did TH see a drop in credits from credit boxes? I figured this fix changed the cash amount in the boxes, as the world nodes for slicing are quite a bit less now too. Or was there two different "Credit Box" loot tables.... hmmmm...

So what you are saying it was better than slicing all along?

Did TH see a drop in credits from credit boxes? I figured this fix changed the cash amount in the boxes, as the world nodes for slicing are quite a bit less now too. Or was there two different "Credit Box" loot tables.... hmmmm...

they give you green or blue gear and relic (which was selling at 3k each yesterday)

Edited by ryancwn

I only have my TH at 188 but so far I found what you said to be untrue. Most the time I get a green item rarely a blue. Most the time it is not useful and when I put it on the GTN for whatever amount it normally expires and I end up dropping it on a vendor.

The very few times I have gotten creds its been for around 75% of the cost of the mission.

But in general using TH primarily for rares it's pretty much left me broke. I have done quite a few lockbox missions but that only helps in recupping some of the cost and leveling up TH.

I agree with the above person. Most of the time it is a green item to be auctioned off. Occasionally it is useful to a companion. Rarely, it will pull up a blue relic. With about the same chance, it will just have credits in it for about 75% of the mission.

Treasure Hunting is profitable....if people buy your auctions.

Thanks for letting me know more details. I have been thinking about switching from slicing to TH all day, sadly my companion mako gives me that slicing boost which is holding me back -.-

How are the lockboxes at the highest tier? Do they drop purples? I know the lower tier drops customs, I have gotten several, but how about the higher up?

OP dont post false information, i got TH long ago 400 along other crew skills. Only time i got very good credits rewards was with 340 purple missions that CAN give box with credits but usually no credits. Those white boxes that come from 49-50 giving you less bac kthan you invested for missions.

my TH is around 260 on my sniper (at work so i cant be exact!), the past few days of playing ive looted, 5-7 blues, 2 mod-able armor pieces, a large amount of greens and a couple epic mods, this is on top of lockboxes. love it when i get a green lockbox and a blue item box :D

I only have my TH at 188 but so far I found what you said to be untrue. Most the time I get a green item rarely a blue. Most the time it is not useful and when I put it on the GTN for whatever amount it normally expires and I end up dropping it on a vendor.

The very few times I have gotten creds its been for around 75% of the cost of the mission.

But in general using TH primarily for rares it's pretty much left me broke. I have done quite a few lockbox missions but that only helps in recupping some of the cost and leveling up TH.

This is exactly the reality to lockboxes for Treasure Hunting. I have never turned a profit in credits from a box. When credits are present, it's roughly a 25% loss on mission cost.

Treasure hunters do not also have boxes of money spread across the landscape waiting for them to collect.

TH is still primarily designed for a person to go after gemstones. These lockboxes are a thematic side-affair that might occasionally end up returning more than the cost, but not usually.

The profitability of TH does not approach that of slicing. It never has.

Bioware knows what skills people are using, and they know what results they are having. That data is collected.

If treasure hunting was, or becomes, an issue, they will fix it, but that will be motivated by examining data, not looking at what people are claiming on the boards.

Edited by Mithros
Edited for tone, not content.

OP dont post false information, i got TH long ago 400 along other crew skills. Only time i got very good credits rewards was with 340 purple missions that CAN give box with credits but usually no credits. Those white boxes that come from 49-50 giving you less bac kthan you invested for missions.

And that was the same with Slicing. The trick was to backtrack to the lower levels and only do Bountiful and Rich level missions.

Treasure hunters do not also have boxes of money spread across the landscape waiting for them to collect.

TH is still primarily designed for a person to go after gemstones. These lockboxes are a thematic side-affair that might occasionally end up returning more than the cost, but not usually.

The profitability of TH does not approach that of slicing. It never has.

Bioware knows what skills people are using, and they know what results they are having. That data is collected.

If treasure hunting was, or becomes, an issue, they will fix it.

Trying to make up stories about it's profitability as a result of sour grapes over the slicing thing is not going to change reality.

its been quite profitable for me :/ im not making this up.