1.5m subs, best in launch history

Yowfatto

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people honestly calling autocast/sith corruption resetting (takes 1s to fix), and bugged nodes game-breaking?

I mean really?

These people just have a chip on their shoulder.

Not game breaking at all, but a constant irritation none the less and even the smallest itch can be very annoying if it is persistent.

I like how it's been failed to be mentioned that WoW is responsible for bringing million upon millions of people to the MMO genre.

SWTOR's success is largely based upon this. Look at the gameplay of SWTOR and tell me the game would exist if WoW never existed. Say it with a straight face.

WoW brought millions of casuals to the genre which companies like Bioware feed off of. Comparing a launch today with the genre defining launch 7 years ago is laughable.

Edited by BrambLed

Now, if that is true and they can hang on to at least 1 to 2 million subs after the free month then I think it would be safe to say its been a great launch.

If they have made ten USD off every copy sold avrage and sold 2 million or more thats over 200 million in profit, plus the $15 for the next month.

I thought that warhammer boasted 1 million boxes sold, but only pulled in 800K subs after the first month, and then it went down really fast from what I remember.

It was sub 700K players in 6 months.

Logistically: for Bioware and EA to make profit, they need to get in the range of 1 mil subs. For the game to look like a good investment, they need to reach 2 mil subs by the end of the year.

Will that happen? I don't know, and I think anyone's predictions on the matter are as reliable as a weatherman's (which is to say, not at all reliable). I know one thing though: when Daniel Ericson said there'll be new content just around the corner, he's not kidding.

Typically MMOs downsize their Dev teams after launch and focus on running the game before adding more content; except that isn't what Bioware is doing. As far as I am aware, Bioware's SWTOR dev team is still working on the game at roughly the same size as before, meaning almost ever worldbuilder, writer, combat designer, etc. is going to be churning out content that, though probably investigated by Bioware at an earlier date, was not completed for launch. This suggests that if they play their cards right, Bioware can easily keep sub retention by adding new features and content (a major addition should be coming sometime this month, I believe).

As has been noted, SWTOR can only succeed if Sub retention is strong enough to keep it afloat. As I've said, I don't know if that will happen, nor can any of us say with certainty, but I hope that this game will succeed.

That's right, I hope this game will succeed. We live in a world where people are primarily motivated by the negative: you don't want to see one guy win, but you really want his opponent to lose. As we know, (from the G.I.F.T.) people use the Internet as a way to proliferate negativity, but as unrealistic as it might be, I'd prefer for this game (or any game for that matter) to succeed rather than root for it's failure just cause.

So all of this considered, my recommendation: stick around, see how well the game goes. If you don't like it after a couple of months, then leave, but give it a chance.

Tis true though.

Lots of AAA releases got heavy numbers at launch then dropped hard.

Swtor really needs to be grownig to makeup for how many servers they launched, if they shrink then we gonna have some bad times way to fast.

This only fanbois don't see games for what they are. In this day and age of mmorpgs we expect content/features and promises fulfilled. That being said I am enjoying the game waiting for something else to come along(ala Gw2), but I foresee many people leaving the game after 30 days and if none of the fixes and things the player base want done 2-3 months.

Warhammers launch was also terrible, and the game was unplayable for the majority of players.

SWTOR launch has been smooth, and almost everyone can play without any gamebreaking bugs. Which is more than I can say for any other MMO that's been released in the last few years.

lol, where have you been? This game is unplayable for about 50% of the people who bought the game.

And those who can quickly max level and find that there is nothing to do.

Edited by RecondoJoe

was just about to say.

You guys who have been able to play uninterupted and uninhibited by bugs, are completely out of touch with how many of us there are out there, unable to play the game due to lag, fps, disconnects etc. Issues that only affect our gaming experience when we play swtor.

The disconnect error 9000 alone has 200k views, and already spun a 100page thread that was locked before a sticky got created. The many people unable to even see group or guildchat have had just as many views and replies, before a sticky was created.

The people suffering from the patcher bug, have not even been able to install the glorious game, and they get NO HELP AT ALL. - how can anyone be satisfied with such a launch, just cause it aint affecting them personally. - That is frankly pathetic just in a general way.

Now you might wish to just cover your eyes and go lalalalalalalala - and make up all the stuff we have already been told about how its our own fault etc, just go right ahead. Its all been said before. You could also go educate yourself about whats actually wrong with this launch and this mmo if you want to. The stickies are in the CSR forum.

This a fact sirs and ladies. There are thousands upon thousands of players who will not pay to play the game once the free time runs out, because they couldnt play the game eventhough lots of us really want to, regardless. The game has never worked for us in a reliable way.

- Personally I have a lvl 50 toon, but last patch something changed with the client and I am not unable to stay connected long enough to actually play.

( Im just one among the thousands with fps, lag, disconnect issues - but we all share the same problem. We have fine connections and play other games or use the internet without disconnects, except from the moment we load up swtor. Then all bets are off, and we can play anything between 2 days in a row fine, and 2 mins before each crash throughout and entire day.)

And eventhough thousands are not alot out of millions its enough to spawn a lot of noise about it all over the web. - And if you look at some of the stuff going on in the csr department its atrocious, and should frankly get anyone bothering to look into it upset, not just because its going on right under your noses, but because its not BW destroying the game, but EA.

Let me know when Blizzard fixes the bug that keeps turning my profanity filter on.

Not being able to see someone cuss vs having it so you can't interrupt a heal because your character is still doing a lightsaber dance even tho you clicked your interrupt button hmmmmm which would I prefer ;)

Not being able to see someone cuss vs having it so you can't interrupt a heal because your character is still doing a lightsaber dance even tho you clicked your interrupt button hmmmmm which would I prefer ;)

I was refuting a specific point that Sith Corruption turning itself on was game breaking enough for someone to stop playing.