Why The Heck Is There No Moddable Gear at 80???

josephxp

So I just returned to SWTOR, left in 5.0 when they introduced command crates and removed gear from OPS etc. Figured I'd try it again because the story has always been decent and I do love GSF.

And I find out coming back leveling my characters to 80 and getting into Legacy of the Sith content that the gear I'm getting for questing doesn't have mods in it to extract and put on my gear (alot of custom gear I have equipped I've had equipped since 3.0 mind you and have become very attached to it) and ask some people who reply there won't be moddable gear until 7.1 and even then only from HM ops.

*** this is the worst decision since removing gear from OPS and having it only come from command crates.

I now have 0 desire to continue playing SWTOR, because I will have to use crappy green weapons without mods and not ability to skin over with the outfitter, and other green items (which I'll have to keep re-augmenting).

Who the hells idea was this? Why? Its a turn off for returning players like me who haven't played since 5.0 7 others in my guild we all decided to go back and try it and no we have 0 desire since we can't mod our gear (ontop of the 7.0 content being very light in content).

I'll happily come back if moddable gear is readily available. Otherwise I probably won't be back for another 2 expansions.

Who the hells idea was this? Why? Its a turn off for returning players like me who haven't played since 5.0 7 others in my guild we all decided to go back and try it and no we have 0 desire since we can't mod our gear (ontop of the 7.0 content being very light in content).

I'll happily come back if moddable gear is readily available. Otherwise I probably won't be back for another 2 expansions.

The current crop of developers decided that too many players obtain 306 gear for the liking and decided that only those who do Nightmare raids can obtain it. So, they gated the modable gear behind that. Furthermore, it's all green gear for everyone unless you do the following:

Story Mode Ops / FPs(?) green gear.

Veteran Mode Ops / FPs(?) blue gear

Master Mode Ops / FPs(?) purple gear.

Mind you that this is nothing but static gear. They tell us the this gear is "good enough" for all who do not participate in NiM ops.

And you are correct, this is the worst decision they've made concerning modable gear. They tried to do that with 6.0 but back tracked it because of the outrage. They're doing it this way to SLOW US DOWN so we play more. They forget players on stay playing any MMO that continually provides new content. SWTOR developers only give us true new content (if you can call it that) 2 to 3 years. This is their history since SoR.

Right now, they are hemorrhaging subscribers. If they don't wise up, their long term financial income will quickly dry up to the point they cannot operate. Cartel Market is short-term influx of income. Subscriptions is the strength of long-term income.

Anyway, welcome back...for however you decide to stay or not. Hopefully you can enjoy some aspects of the game.

The current crop of developers decided that too many players obtain 306 gear for the liking and decided that only those who do Nightmare raids can obtain it. So, they gated the modable gear behind that. Furthermore, it's all green gear for everyone unless you do the following:

Story Mode Ops / FPs(?) green gear.

Veteran Mode Ops / FPs(?) blue gear

Master Mode Ops / FPs(?) purple gear.

Mind you that this is nothing but static gear. They tell us the this gear is "good enough" for all who do not participate in NiM ops.

And you are correct, this is the worst decision they've made concerning modable gear. They tried to do that with 6.0 but back tracked it because of the outrage. They're doing it this way to SLOW US DOWN so we play more. They forget players on stay playing any MMO that continually provides new content. SWTOR developers only give us true new content (if you can call it that) 2 to 3 years. This is their history since SoR.

Right now, they are hemorrhaging subscribers. If they don't wise up, their long term financial income will quickly dry up to the point they cannot operate. Cartel Market is short-term influx of income. Subscriptions is the strength of long-term income.

Anyway, welcome back...for however you decide to stay or not. Hopefully you can enjoy some aspects of the game.

You know if they want people to play more, encouraging alt gameplay is the best way to do it. Especially where the stories are so branching.

I'm not asking for good gear, just mods so I don't have to remove gear that I've had on since SoR and made a transmog I love before we got outfitter.

You know if they want people to play more, encouraging alt gameplay is the best way to do it. Especially where the stories are so branching.

hahahaha, not these developers. If you look at all the changes they made, they are changes that undermine players need to play more. There is a clear push to FORCE people to only play certain ways. PvP, OPS, only a few FPs per week and even undermined conquest...it was almost as if they all got together and asked for ideas on how to shorten the life of this game as much as possible in one go. Heck they even made the UI look so bad as if they even wanted our eyes to hurt more to make us log out sooner.

Edited by gregordunbar

I'm not a fan of the fixed stat gear either, but, then again, with the moddable gear everyone was essentially aiming for the same 110% Accuracy, X % Alacrity**, and a bunch of Crit anyway. Other than some minor BiS tweaks, the modability of the stats didn't really make a lot of change.

Plus of course, you can still tweak your build a bit by selecting earpiece, implants and augments.

I'd say that yes, I agree, moddable armor is more 'fun' but it's not worth quitting over. 🙂

** speaking of Alacrity, what is the base number to aim for?

I'm not a fan of the fixed stat gear either, but, then again, with the moddable gear everyone was essentially aiming for the same 110% Accuracy, X % Alacrity**, and a bunch of Crit anyway

Elitists were. The minority of the minority. Most people did not do ops or pvp and did not even ask about let alone aim for that. The point was, there was customizability, and its gone for a thing that once again does not matter if you are not doing OPS or PvP. There is no difference between having 318 or the highest IR outside of them, combat takes the exact same amount of time now no matter what you wear with this new horrible scaling change.

No change = no goal = less reason to play. Why would anyone put in 100s of hours to increase a number for zero change?

Modable armor opened many goals, variants and ultimately, possibilities.

What a great money-making time sink thrown out the windows trash bin.

A cookie cutter amor cap for solo players does not achieve the monetary goal particularly when dopamine bursts are the drug that keeps the bulk of players playing in these genres.

It is like the phrase,,, you will own nothing and be happy with this patch.

Don't matter how hard you work or how valuable your work is, you're ether with our narrow vision or you're not allowed to participate. :eek:

I'm not a fan of the fixed stat gear either, but, then again, with the moddable gear everyone was essentially aiming for the same 110% Accuracy, X % Alacrity**, and a bunch of Crit anyway. Other than some minor BiS tweaks, the modability of the stats didn't really make a lot of change.

Plus of course, you can still tweak your build a bit by selecting earpiece, implants and augments.

I'd say that yes, I agree, moddable armor is more 'fun' but it's not worth quitting over. 🙂

** speaking of Alacrity, what is the base number to aim for?

The new gear system was one of the major reasons I unsubscribed. There was something satisfying about getting your accuracy and alacrity numbers dead on for whatever build you were running.

Elitists were. The minority of the minority. Most people did not do ops or pvp and did not even ask about let alone aim for that. The point was, there was customizability, and its gone for a thing that once again does not matter if you are not doing OPS or PvP. There is no difference between having 318 or the highest IR outside of them, combat takes the exact same amount of time now no matter what you wear with this new horrible scaling change.

Elitist? No. They were (are?) just the ordinary 'standard' stats for everyone**. If you think those stats were only for OPs or PvP, then that's probably why you have trouble playing the game. 🙂

I've noticed a lot of improvement in my performance just going from 318 to 322.

** Of course, as you are progressing through the game and upgrading your gear, those stats are not always attainable, but are what to aim for. At this time for example, my Accuracy is only 108%, but I could easily get to 110% by just adding a few Accuracy augments - I just don't want to waste augment slots on gear less than 324.

Minor gripe - when you upgrade an armor piece through those vendors that just swap your old piece for a better one, there's no warning that you'll want to remove any augment or tuning first. 😡

Edited by JediQuaker

Well, that was pre-7. Is it still the same?

The percentage is still the same if you want to reduce your GCD by 1/15th. With the new stat equations, that equals ~2054 Alacrity for a 1.4 GCD

Add in 2694 Accuracy for 110%

At 326 augmented gear, thats quite attainable. (326 gives 532 tertiary points)

Accuracy: 2x Gear pieces from.basic set, 1 Acc earpiece, Adv Proficient Stim, 9x blue Acc augs (less if you have any gold augs)

Alacrity: 2x base gear pieces, Offhand, and either 1 Alacrity implant, or an extra alacrity gear from a different set

Critical: Main hand, remaining gear/implant, at least 5x crit augs

Min-maxxing It gets slightly more complicated for the disciplines with extra alacrity (TK/lightning, Gunnery/Arsenal, Combat/Carnage), but its still reachable with a couple piece swaps

The percentage is still the same if you want to reduce your GCD by 1/15th. With the new stat equations, that equals ~2054 Alacrity for a 1.4 GCD

Add in 2694 Accuracy for 110%

At 326 augmented gear, thats quite attainable. (326 gives 532 tertiary points)

Accuracy: 2x Gear pieces from.basic set, 1 Acc earpiece, Adv Proficient Stim, 9x blue Acc augs (less if you have any gold augs)

Alacrity: 2x base gear pieces, Offhand, and either 1 Alacrity implant, or an extra alacrity gear from a different set

Critical: Main hand, remaining gear/implant, at least 5x crit augs

Min-maxxing It gets slightly more complicated for the disciplines with extra alacrity (TK/lightning, Gunnery/Arsenal, Combat/Carnage), but its still reachable with a couple piece swaps

im going to take the months of PTR testing and live stats over yours.

Its been proven that the current sets only have a power difference in PvP and OPS, outside the, your power is not effected. It will take the exact same amount of time to defeat enemies in 306 gear as it will in 326 gear.

So long.

What bothers me the most about no moddable gear at 80, is that they rewarded me with a bunch of nice weapons as part of Galactic Seasons, which i really want to equip, but by doing so, i will gimp myself with a 306 weapon. Was anyone there actually thinking when they made the decision to put moddable weapons on the GS reward schedule, while removing mods for most players?!!

Of course, this wouldn't have been an issue if they had released weapons in outfitter, as promised. Now they tell us the new outfitter is coming in 7.1. Well, from 25 years of experience with these sort of games, I'm making an educated guess that it will be pushed again, perhaps for months, as they try and deal with this mountain of bugs.

Honestly BW, I was a launch customer on another account. An account I couldn't recover because customer support for non-subscribers is basically non existent and it would have taken actual human interaction to verify my account details, due to me not having access to the original email account. So i started a new account last summer and I really started to get into the game again. Even as a preferred player, this game has so much to offer. Two months ago, I resubbed again and was planing on keeping it going, because finally my 8 toons were done their class quests, my crew skills were maxed on all 8 toons and I wanted to sit back and explore some of the expansions I missed over the last several years. Then this update hit and I am now making preparations to drop back to F2P and possible leave the game for good. From July last year until last week, i played every-single-day. I no longer feel like it anymore. I can't do the weeklies i used to do. The rewards for dailies (not bound in the weekly wrapper) are the same useless Odessan relics for appearance gear.

I pushed my main toon to 80 and tried to see how progression would work for a solo, casual player like myself. After 3 hours, doing two sets of Heroic +2 weeklies, I made about 80 aquatic resource matrix. This was enough to get one piece of 322 gear for my main toon. And since the upgrade consumes the old piece of armour, I can't even hand them down anymore.

Sorry BW. I am not interested in pointless grinding, with bottlenecks of people doing the same missions, over and over again, to outfit my Legacy. And yet, if i stick with the base 320 gear, I find that many of the missions I try naw,take way more time then they did before 7.0. and a lot of content is basically broken for the new gear and companion changes (like the Mayham arena cycle on Zakuul) I wasted 3 hours there, got to the 6th event, only to realize nobody was doing it in Solo mode because it was broken.

I've had it. I'll spend the next few months decorating my empty SH's a few times per week. No money from me until this game makes a big change back to playability.

Boy did I pick the wrong time to try SWTOR again.

I've been gone for years. I should've read more about 7.0's changes and the inability to mod gear en masse before resubscribing. I absolutely would not have resubscribed if I had understood this. When I used to play regularly I was majorly into modding gear--like majorly. I had gear pieces not only for healing/damage/tanking but different specs and even for specific situations or bosses. I was drowning in modded gear and I loved it. I often tinkered with this mod or that enhancement and shared that info. with my guidmates at the time and they did the same.

Was there a community outcry for this change? Are today's players, in general, mod-averse? If so, I don't see much hope and will abandon this game.

This is a mind boggling decision. Moddable gear has been a staple of Old Republic since KOTOR. It's one of the things that made SWTOR gear more interesting and even better than that of other MMOs. The sooner we get moddable gear, for all item ratings at Level 80 the better.

This is a mind boggling decision. Moddable gear has been a staple of Old Republic since KOTOR. It's one of the things that made SWTOR gear more interesting and even better than that of other MMOs. The sooner we get moddable gear, for all item ratings at Level 80 the better.

You know what they say, "Wish on one hand, and crap on the other. See which one fills up." Kieth, based on his damage control post from Friday, not likely going to change anything. I believe they are all in with 7.0 no matter how much they loose monetarily or subscribers or losses in the CM. This is what they wanted with 6.0 and back away from. Now, they "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead."

A breaking point is fast approaching, they'll either relent and revert back to most of 6.0 and leave only the story and possibly Combat Styles, or they're going to see this through to the end when the game is shut down because its operating in the red. You know what the definition of insanity is right? Well, we're seeing that play out right now, right here with them sticking with 7.0 believing that only "a few are having issues." Right....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So I just returned to SWTOR, left in 5.0 when they introduced command crates and removed gear from OPS etc.

incorrect. They made it possible to get the gear without doing Ops, for sure, but Ops still offered a shortcut compared to non-Ops PvE methods. (Unassembled doodads to buy Ops tokens was way slower than running the Ops themselves, and the crates were slow *and* unreliable. RNG is fun, right?)

Moddable gear was just too complicated ok? It's much simpler to:

1. Find out which stat you're missing

2. Look up a guide online that shows which pieces give which tertiary

3. Give your gear to a different character which can get the piece

4. On the slot you want the piece, place a piece one item rating lower than the rest

5. Do a weekly that can give you an upgrade crate

6. Open the crate, hope it doesn't disappear

7. Transfer the gear back to your main

8. Repeat multiple times if you're a healer trying to get 1.3 gcd

Edited by Eli_Porter

Moddable gear was just too complicated ok? It's much simpler to:

1. Find out which stat you're missing

2. Look up a guide online that shows which pieces give which tertiary

3. Give your gear to a different character which can get the piece

4. On the slot you want the piece, place a piece one item rating lower than the rest

5. Do a weekly that can give you an upgrade crate

6. Open the crate, hope it doesn't disappear

7. Transfer the gear back to your main

8. Repeat multiple times if you're a healer trying to get 1.3 gcd

There's a problem with that method. Any gear that drops, not from the boss, will be the spec gear for the class using another class' gear. If you're wearing Boltblaster gloves playing a VG/PT dps, the drop will be the gear associated with the VG/PT. So, you'd be exchanging the same gear again that you did with before. Their system is set up so this happens to keep you wearing the originally recommended gear or slow you down to a crawl in updating the gear. As was their purpose and intent from the start; just to play the game longer and longer and longer, ad nauseum.