Launcher is not working since update around noon today

zvbm

Same here from linux/Windows10/Windows 11 on an Asus Zephyrus GA401IV (2020 Model, Ryzen 7 4800HS, RTX-2060 MaxQ, 16GB of Ram)

So i've paid 3 month of sub for 7.0 becoming 1 week due to the delay, and now this without ETA or workaround waiting a stripped down expansion (or should i say patch?) ...

While i do know devs are busy (preparing 7.0 launch), the way clients are treated is counterproductive and potentially destructive from the point of view of the image of the company

Edited by softreaper

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i got randomly lucky was able to log in to play once. Created an in-game customer ticket to discuss what was going on. And ya got the most generic reply in existence as they didn't even know about the problem..

But that one random luck of getting logged in, has yet to happen again im back to it crashing over and over and over.

My hopes for a fix any time soon are gone. I assume if there is one it will come inside 7.0s update on Tuesday. I just hope there is some sort of compensation for lost items, lost time, ETC

Edited by ASperry

Well ill keep sharing my status lol

So... i have a solution for us, those having this problem :)

playing Swtor is now RNG based. from my attempts this last days i figured that i manage to launch the game in an interval.

So if you press play over and over youll eventually manage to enter between the 10th ( fastest one i got) and 208th attempt ( latest i got before quit). so if RNG is with you you can start playing sooner than later.

It ads excitment to the game lolol

For real presssing play over and over eventually laucher launches :S :rolleyes::mad:

So if you press play over and over youll eventually manage to enter

I wish this was the case for me, the launcher will occasionally load, but then if I do eventually get into the game, there are no servers appearing. I thought it was linked but is this a separate issue? I didn't have this problem before Tuesday...

I'm finding that, at present, BioWare has managed to give me a huge dose of nostalgia. I feel like I'm back trying to get my NES working, blowing on the cartridge and sliding it all over, hoping one of the times it catches. I've been able to play each day, but that's only with persistence of trying the launcher time after time. That includes running the verify of files over and over, etc. I have no idea that any of it works, or there is a magic formula, just one out of every 50 times, it catches, lets me log in and we're good. For me personally, when I'm in, it's fine. I'm seeing servers, all that good stuff. But watching the launch screen flicker over and over, no idea if it'll actually work, is becoming a tedious affair. They need to work on a solution, or if this was in response to a patch, roll it back until Tuesday, then make darn sure the Tuesday new release works for all processors.

2022-02-11 18:18:00 INFO Loaded settings from C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher-app.settings
2022-02-11 18:18:00 INFO Loaded settings from C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.settings

Those "settings" files? They don't exist. When the launcher can't find them it crashes.

2022-02-11 18:25:41 INFO SWTOR Launcher [Core:{BuildVersion} Lib:MJan.11.2022.17:31:35] initialized.
2022-02-11 18:25:41 INFO File info: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.exe size=8006368, created=2/8/2022 22:50:48, accessed=2/11/2022 18:10:30, written=2/8/2022 22:50:48
2022-02-11 18:25:41 INFO Initializing download manager
2022-02-11 18:25:41 INFO Loaded settings from C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher-app.settings
2022-02-11 18:25:41 INFO Loaded settings from C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.settings
2022-02-11 18:25:41 INFO Sending crash dumps to [https://patcher-crash.swtor.com/crashcatch]
2022-02-11 18:25:41 INFO completeLauncherInit()
2022-02-11 18:25:41 INFO -----------------------------(360)-----------------------------
2022-02-11 18:25:41 INFO Timezone: 360
2022-02-11 18:25:42 INFO SpecsHash=3460457271.3558841107
2022-02-11 18:25:43 INFO Skipping patcher patch
2022-02-11 18:25:43 INFO Loaded agreements from C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\eula.settings

Now, when I create empty versions of those files the launcher shows as running in the Task Manager and continues to run.

2022-02-11 18:28:06 INFO SWTOR Launcher [Core:{BuildVersion} Lib:MJan.11.2022.17:31:35] initialized.
2022-02-11 18:28:06 INFO File info: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.exe size=8006368, created=2/8/2022 22:50:48, accessed=2/11/2022 18:10:30, written=2/8/2022 22:50:48
2022-02-11 18:28:06 INFO Initializing download manager

The window never pops up, but the launcher is running and at least attempting to do something.

So, the issue appears to be that the files launcher.settings, launcher-app.settings, and eula.settings do not exist, and it needs proper versions of those to continue.

Now if you tell Steam to verify local files it will delete launcher.settings and eula.settings; launcher-app.settings remains.

Again, hitting play will just cause Steam to think the launcher is running but no window appears. Log files shows the launcher looking for eula.settings.

So there ya are devs, something to work with. MISSING FILES that are required for the launcher to do it's job.

Edited by Mckor

So, the issue appears to be that the files launcher.settings, launcher-app.settings, and eula.settings do not exist, and it needs proper versions of those to continue.

Now if you tell Steam to verify local files it will delete launcher.settings and eula.settings; launcher-app.settings remains.

Again, hitting play will just cause Steam to think the launcher is running but no window appears. Log files shows the launcher looking for eula.settings.

So there ya are devs, something to work with. MISSING FILES that are required for the launcher to do it's job.

I checked this on my SWTOR installation (standard website launcher). All these files are not required for successful start of the launcher; launcher-app.settings file does not exist at all.

As for eula.settings and launcher.settings files, they can be deleted or moved elsewhere, then launcher will show EULA, empty user name and some other default settings; it may also ask to confirm account by code in e-mail. So, these files are normally created by launcher and not required for start, otherwise it's a bug, and such report may help developers to locate the faulty code.

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

Follow up question specifically for players who were in a working state before the update was rolled out and is now experiencing issues with the launcher.

Did the game crash while you were on the most recent phase of PTS? Even if you were able to get past the launcher, were you able to play on PTS?

Another reminder to please keep your posts related to giving us the info we are requesting.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

Follow up question specifically for players who were in a working state before the update was rolled out and is now experiencing issues with the launcher.

Did the game crash while you were on the most recent phase of PTS? Even if you were able to get past the launcher, were you able to play on PTS?

Another reminder to please keep your posts related to giving us the info we are requesting.

Thank you

Nope. Was all good before recent patch.

Hi everyone,

Thank you

It's not the game that is crashing, it's the LAUNCHER. Can't even get to the game, let alone the PTS (which I don't even have installed.) The launcher updated, crashed, and stopped working completely.

Why are you asking about the test server when we can't even access the regular game?

• Dev Post
It's not the game that is crashing, it's the LAUNCHER. Can't even get to the game, let alone the PTS (which I don't even have installed.) The launcher updated, crashed, and stopped working completely.

Why are you asking about the test server when we can't even access the regular game?

Hi Mckor,

I am aware of what the current issue is. We are troubleshooting various user cases and I am requesting information from players who were fine before the update and whether or not they were able to play on PTS when it was live. I am not asking if people can connect to PTS now. I am asking about a past experience to help the team gather data to find a solution to a live issue. Please only post if you have relevant information to report in this thread. I would like to keep this thread as clean as possible so we can track all the reports coming in and we can pull necessary info quickly and efficiently.

I checked this on my SWTOR installation (standard website launcher). All these files are not required for successful start of the launcher; launcher-app.settings file does not exist at all.

As for eula.settings and launcher.settings files, they can be deleted or moved elsewhere, then launcher will show EULA, empty user name and some other default settings; it may also ask to confirm account by code in e-mail. So, these files are normally created by launcher and not required for start, otherwise it's a bug, and such report may help developers to locate the faulty code.

I pulled launcher.settings and eula.settings from a VM install I haven't launched in the last month or so (use it for guild invites) and copied them over to my actual play directory. Login window appears and crashes immediately, so yeah, not those files. Oh well, was worth looking into.

I then ran the game in the VM and let the launcher update. Works fine. Entered game, exited to desktop, started it again, no problems. Unfortunately performance in the VM is horrid, which is why I only have it around to invite my own characters to my one-person guilds.

Hi Mckor,

I am aware of what the current issue is. We are troubleshooting various user cases and I am requesting information from players who were fine before the update and whether or not they were able to play on PTS when it was live. I am not asking if people can connect to PTS now. I am asking about a past experience to help the team gather data to find a solution to a live issue. Please only post if you have relevant information to report in this thread. I would like to keep this thread as clean as possible so we can track all the reports coming in and we can pull necessary info quickly and efficiently.

Fine. No, the PTS did not crash on me, because I don't have the PTS installed. I tried to play on Tuesday, the launcher updated, and immediately crashed without me being able to log in. I have been unable to log in for what, 4 days now?

The problem is not with swtor.exe, the process the game runs. It's with launcher.exe, the process that handles logging in, patching, and starting swtor.exe. That process will briefly display the login screen and then halt. Whatever fix was made to the launcher to fix crashing on Alder Lake is now causing the same problem for, apparently, Ryzen.

Please provide us with the launcher that was in use before the Alder Lake problem, so that we can use that until this problem is solved.

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Everything was working perfectly fine. I logged in after work Tuesday and it said the launcher needed to be updated. After that the launcher would not open again and it continues to constantly crash.

I am affected by the current launch issue and I was able to play on the PTS for 7.0. However I am not absolutely sure if the version I played on was the most recent version of the PTS. I don't think I went on the PTS for about a month before it was taken down. My recollections may not be sharp enough to be useful - but here they are, for whatever use they may serve.

Hi everyone,

Thank you

I was able to play successfully the night before the launcher update. The next evening when I tried to play I encountered the launcher crash. However I was able to log in with the launcher one time where the servers actually showed (there were a few other times I was able to log in but then no servers were found). On this one occasion I was able to successfully play the game with no errors until I quit the game. Then I was again unable to use the launcher without it crashing. I have had no issues with the game itself as far as I can tell.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.