The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I feel stupid, I have no idea how to gear

Screaming_Ziva

I've understood how to gear up my characters in every version of the game except this one. I bought my set of 318 gear from the vendor (which BTW is all worse than the 306 gear I was wearing) and went into a flashpoint. I got no gear drops from the flashpoint but I did get two Medals of Commendation from my daily FP reward. I took them to the "Conquest Gear Vendor" and see that each piece of 320 gear costs 10 - 20 of these medals. There are three other vendors by the "Conquest Gear Vendor":

Conquest Gear Upgrades

Flashpoint Gear Upgrades

Operation Gear Upgrades

But each of those says "No Items Available" when I click on them.

How are we supposed to gear up?

I've understood how to gear up my characters in every version of the game except this one. I bought my set of 318 gear from the vendor (which BTW is all worse than the 306 gear I was wearing) and went into a flashpoint. I got no gear drops from the flashpoint but I did get two Medals of Commendation from my daily FP reward. I took them to the "Conquest Gear Vendor" and see that each piece of 320 gear costs 10 - 20 of these medals. There are three other vendors by the "Conquest Gear Vendor":

Conquest Gear Upgrades

Flashpoint Gear Upgrades

Operation Gear Upgrades

ok be careful. only pick one route to get upgrades and equipment from. if you do other content like pvp or conquest - disassemble that geaar instead of equipping or upgrading it. Otherwise it will screw up your gearing progression because you'll be all over the place.

Sometimes flashpoint bosses drop gear..sometimes they don't... its kinda wack at the moment. You will have to do multiple runs in order to gain enough material to upgrade your 320 pieces (that drop from flashpoints or doing the weekly which has a crate in it) to 322 gear. Do heroics on the side and don't spend anything in the vendors - just disassemble any gear that isnt from the flashpoint named armour.

Do not buy any duplicates of the same rating as its wasting your materials.

Conquest Gear Upgrades

Flashpoint Gear Upgrades

Operation Gear Upgrades

You're not stupid. I copied over my main to see how levelling gear worked and it's so complicated I gave up. I've decided that my 306 gear will have to do when 7.0 goes live and I'll wait for someone who knows what's going on (and how it all works) to do a guide.

I feel the same way. I just reached level 79, and it is not clear how to make progress with armour.

EDIT: IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE IN PTS

1. Go to the Combat section of Fleet, and then to the Knight training area. There is a droid that will automatically grant you level 80!

2. Go to the Supplies section of Fleet, (where you would have gotten your sets for tech fragments). There is a lvl 318 Vendor. Get all your basic green items there.

3. In that same area, there is a Conquest Gear Vendor, that sells lvl 320 gear. For those you need Medals, which can only be earned with certain types of content. You can get medals through your main story content ( like Eternal Throne), Master Mode Flashpoints, Operations, and completing your weekly conquest.

Edited by CommanderOtto

lol its super easy. there are 3 vendors, Conquest , Raid, and PVP. To get conquest gear you do conquest stuff, and you get the materials for the conquest upgrade by doing conquest stuff. and Same goes for raid, you do raid stuff, and pvp you do pvp stuff. I'm not sure what is complicated about it :confused:

lol its super easy. there are 3 vendors, Conquest , Raid, and PVP. To get conquest gear you do conquest stuff, and you get the materials for the conquest upgrade by doing conquest stuff. and Same goes for raid, you do raid stuff, and pvp you do pvp stuff. I'm not sure what is complicated about it :confused:

What if you do all the content?

What if you get mixed up with the different mats required?

Do you disassemble the gear? Which gear?

Do you equip from all 3 vendors or should you only pick 1 vendor's gear?

Can you pick from all as a hybrid approach or is it more optimal to just focus on 1 type of vendor upgrades?

Your response about "lol super ez, Its not complicated" - Is not very helpful. In the previous system you could do what ever you wanted and get gear and even gear up alt characters easier with renown. It's now still doable with 7.0 but not as easily done.

ok that makes a bit more sense, but I can only see a way of getting to 320. How do I go from 320 to 322?

ok that makes a bit more sense, but I can only see a way of getting to 320. How do I go from 320 to 322?

Lets say you have a pair of boots item rating 320 from a veteran flashpoint. You go to the flashpoint gear and upgrades vendor (it has to say upgrades) and the list auto-filters and only displays gear for which you are eligible, namely, 322 boots. It will display this gear regardless of whether you have the currency to buy it.

You get blue (prototype quality) decurion isotope stabilizers from veteran flashpoint drops and completing the weekly.

You get blue (prototype quality) aquatic resource matrices from planetary heroics, and probably also daily areas though I haven't tested them out. Obviously more from the [WEEKLY] for the planetary heroics than the individual missions themselves, but the alderaan and coruscant ones were dropping 3 or 4 at completion.

You get gold (legendary quality) Medals of Commendation from completing conquest goals and other things as well, but you get the most from conquest (that I've seen so far).

You don't get enough Aquatic Resource Matrices from vet flashpoints alone, you have to supplement with planetary heroics. At least, that's what I found. It's possible if I was hitting flashpoints harder I might see more.

Eventually when you have 322 or higher in most of the slots your average will finally hit 322.

Completing the alderaan and coruscant heroic [WEEKLY] missions, three vet flashpoints (including the [WEEKLY] for that) and, in the process, completing personal Conquest, got me enough currency to upgrade I think maybe three pieces or so from 318 to 320 and maybe my mainhand to 324? I'm not in game so I can't verify but I'll try to check tomorrow. I was using my healer main, so I didn't have to worry about accuracy, but there was no way I could get enough alacrity to make the 1.3s GCD with the gear I could purchase, and I opted not to augment since I saw the gear was consumed in the upgrade transaction, so I'm only at 1.4s GCD.

I'm sure people have found more efficient ways to gear and I'd love to read their responses. I also tried to do a couple of unranked arenas, I think I did three, but didn't earn enough of anything to buy any upgrades from those vendors. I don't have JackieKo's post on itemization and currencies, and their sources, memorized yet.

I don't think its necessary to stick to one content-area to upgrade your character overall per se, but as you acquire pieces of gear for specific slots, it is most beneficial to stick with whatever content from where you got that piece originally. So, going back to my example above, I would stick with flashpoints to upgrade the boots since you've already invested a fair bit into upgrading them, but if you have a stubborn anatomical slot with which you have bad luck (for example, you just don't seem to be getting any helmets; or any relics), you can use one of the other vendors to buy the initial piece and upgrade from there, assuming you do a variety of content. For example, GSF never pops on PTS unless there are actually GSF updates (like with 5.5), but on LIVE it will definitely be an important source for me to supplement those stubborn unlucky anatomical gear slots.

Lets say you have a pair of boots item rating 320 from a veteran flashpoint. You go to the flashpoint gear and upgrades vendor (it has to say upgrades) and the list auto-filters and only displays gear for which you are eligible, namely, 322 boots. It will display this gear regardless of whether you have the currency to buy it.

You get blue (prototype quality) decurion isotope stabilizers from veteran flashpoint drops and completing the weekly.

You get blue (prototype quality) aquatic resource matrices from planetary heroics, and probably also daily areas though I haven't tested them out. Obviously more from the [WEEKLY] for the planetary heroics than the individual missions themselves, but the alderaan and coruscant ones were dropping 3 or 4 at completion.

You get gold (legendary quality) Medals of Commendation from completing conquest goals and other things as well, but you get the most from conquest (that I've seen so far).

You don't get enough Aquatic Resource Matrices from vet flashpoints alone, you have to supplement with planetary heroics. At least, that's what I found. It's possible if I was hitting flashpoints harder I might see more.

Eventually when you have 322 or higher in most of the slots your average will finally hit 322.

Completing the alderaan and coruscant heroic [WEEKLY] missions, three vet flashpoints (including the [WEEKLY] for that) and, in the process, completing personal Conquest, got me enough currency to upgrade I think maybe three pieces or so from 318 to 320 and maybe my mainhand to 324? I'm not in game so I can't verify but I'll try to check tomorrow. I was using my healer main, so I didn't have to worry about accuracy, but there was no way I could get enough alacrity to make the 1.3s GCD with the gear I could purchase, and I opted not to augment since I saw the gear was consumed in the upgrade transaction, so I'm only at 1.4s GCD.

I'm sure people have found more efficient ways to gear and I'd love to read their responses. I also tried to do a couple of unranked arenas, I think I did three, but didn't earn enough of anything to buy any upgrades from those vendors. I don't have JackieKo's post on itemization and currencies, and their sources, memorized yet.

I don't think its necessary to stick to one content-area to upgrade your character overall per se, but as you acquire pieces of gear for specific slots, it is most beneficial to stick with whatever content from where you got that piece originally. So, going back to my example above, I would stick with flashpoints to upgrade the boots since you've already invested a fair bit into upgrading them, but if you have a stubborn anatomical slot with which you have bad luck (for example, you just don't seem to be getting any helmets; or any relics), you can use one of the other vendors to buy the initial piece and upgrade from there, assuming you do a variety of content. For example, GSF never pops on PTS unless there are actually GSF updates (like with 5.5), but on LIVE it will definitely be an important source for me to supplement those stubborn unlucky anatomical gear slots.

ty for this info!