The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Gunslinger Feedback Thread

JackieKo

• Dev Post

With PTS now live, you can help test the Combat Style for the Gunslinger.

Please answer the following questions:

• Does the current combat rotation make this experience feel like you are playing a Gunslinger? Why or why not?
  • As you’re beginning from level 1, do you feel you have enough abilities that keep gameplay interesting?
  • Are you able to defeat enemies at a reasonable rate?
  • Do all your abilities feel like they’re working together?

Please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it. Feel free to answer in as much detail as possible to help us understand your thought process and line of thinking.

Thank you!

Edited by JackieKo

Just ran through basically all of Ord Mantell.

In short, yes it feels like traditional Gunslinger so far. I miss a few abilities, but I was able to mow through starter content no problem, pretty much the same as usual. Levelling seems fine so far and in-line with how it's been.

I'm still low-level so no real chance to use loadouts much, or meaningfully play with other styles, but I will later.

I've also run through character creation a few times as well - no real issues with that so far, and no bugs with it.

All in all, pretty smooth so far. It's early, but so far, so good.

[*]Does the current combat rotation make this experience feel like you are playing a Gunslinger? Why or why not?

Having already leveled 2 Gunslingers through this story line on live, the experience of playing the gunslinger at levels 1 through 17 was equivalent. I then boosted my character to level 80 and was surprised to discover my abilities now more closely matched those of my Sniper rather than my Gunslingers. I am also not a fan of losing abilities that I use less often. It felt like I was playing a dumbed-down version of my Sniper with two blasters instead of a rifle. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't pleasing. These are my two favorite classes and I enjoy the differences. Caveat - I still have a LOT of research to do with the different combat styles and classes, so I could just be missing something :confused:.

UPDATE: Changed discipline from Sharpshooter to Saboteur. Now I have the abilities I was expecting on my Gunslinger. Also tested the Loadout system on the two disciplines. It worked and it was very nice :). Putting 2 crystals in my blasters helped too!

[*]As you’re beginning from level 1, do you feel you have enough abilities that keep gameplay interesting?

As mentioned above, game play at levels 1 through 17 was enjoyable as always and the available abilities were more than adequate. I mentioned in another thread my initial confusion in discovering and accessing new abilities as I leveled up. Once I understood how the new automatic ability additions worked, I liked it :).

[*]Are you able to defeat enemies at a reasonable rate?

Yes, no problems at levels 1 through 17. Completing the Onderon dailies at Level 80 in the 318 iRating gear felt slightly less powerful than what I'm used to on live in 306 gear, but I didn't have the stims, legacy buffs and gear augments on the PTS character as I do on live. Taking that into consideration, I was pleased overall at my ability to defeat enemies.

[*]Do all your abilities feel like they're working together?

Yes.

Edited by KickersGT
Clarification & corrections

Question rather than feedback. Apologies if I missed this info somewhere else, has cover bar switching been removed? My bar doesn't change when I drop into cover, which it does on my live smuggler / gunslinger /sharpshooter.

Question rather than feedback. Apologies if I missed this info somewhere else, has cover bar switching been removed? My bar doesn't change when I drop into cover, which it does on my live smuggler / gunslinger /sharpshooter.

I popped in to ask the very same question. It feels broken when you go into cover now as the position retains the cover button after going into cover. Same problem on both Republic and Imperial side of the game.

Another cut scene, fake / nonexistent pistol equipped. The code is already showing my real weapon (the cannon) so just alter it to not insert fake weaponry.

The Story Pistol is all over the place in the cinematics, and even when playing the Trooper story (as Vanguard or Commando) the protagonist often pulls a blaster pistol from nowhere.

So it's not unique to your smuggler commando :-)

It feels broken when you go into cover now

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (edit - I was) but since playing with a lvl 75 copied over toon it looks like the only skill requiring cover to use for the Gunslinger now is "Sweeping Gunfire"? Feels like a lot of the thought process that you needed playing a Gunslinger has switched to easy mode in that case; that makes the class less special, to me at least.

Was removing the cover bar intentional, if not specifically stated in the patch notes? Could someone "in the know" confirm that, please?

Edit - After refreshing the skills by changing the Combat Style a few times I can see that there are a couple more skills that still require cover: "Hunker Down" and "Pulse Detonator".

Edited by DMCC
Additional information

Tested in this iteration of changes (comparing only range):

1) Atm "dmg wise vs ustilities/survivability" i think slinger in not-that-bad spot (mb engi need some buff). But! We really need that heal on roll. Okay, no ballistic-sheild-heal, but we need something. Or add healing on probe, or roll-heal. Against dots, we'll melt.

Let's look: madness sorc can get 2 heals in a row ~30-36k (total arond 70k) hp in 318 basic gear (self-heal + leech). Merc can get ~30k insta-heal + kolto. We have nothing. And if looking better in damage over sorcs ( in basic gear), we have almost same dmg as mercs.

2) And ffs bring back evasion as separate ability. It's bad desicion to put agro-drop, evasion, cleanse, speed-buff in one ability.

• 2 weeks later...
Having already leveled 2 Gunslingers through this story line on live, the experience of playing the gunslinger at levels 1 through 17 was equivalent. I then boosted my character to level 80 and was surprised to discover my abilities now more closely matched those of my Sniper rather than my Gunslingers. I am also not a fan of losing abilities that I use less often. It felt like I was playing a dumbed-down version of my Sniper with two blasters instead of a rifle. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't pleasing. These are my two favorite classes and I enjoy the differences. Caveat - I still have a LOT of research to do with the different combat styles and classes, so I could just be missing something :confused:.

UPDATE: Changed discipline from Sharpshooter to Saboteur. Now I have the abilities I was expecting on my Gunslinger. Also tested the Loadout system on the two disciplines. It worked and it was very nice :). Putting 2 crystals in my blasters helped too!

As mentioned above, game play at levels 1 through 17 was enjoyable as always and the available abilities were more than adequate. I mentioned in another thread my initial confusion in discovering and accessing new abilities as I leveled up. Once I understood how the new automatic ability additions worked, I liked it :).

Yes, no problems at levels 1 through 17. Completing the Onderon dailies at Level 80 in the 318 iRating gear felt slightly less powerful than what I'm used to on live in 306 gear, but I didn't have the stims, legacy buffs and gear augments on the PTS character as I do on live. Taking that into consideration, I was pleased overall at my ability to defeat enemies.

Yes.

This is actually the perfect microcosm of what I am talking about. When I hear the words "Gunslinger" I think maybe Jango Fett, or the guy in the opening cinematic or a dozen other westerns, but the sharpshooter spec makes the class feel like a sniper. Before I know this was intentional as each faction needed to mirror one another. This is the perfect time to make the gunslinger it's own identity and not feel like a mirror of the sniper which, in my opinion, should be completely different in feel.