Issue with the Launcher and Intel i7-12700k

digitalfreak

Please try to use the launcher repair, need to download it from this website: LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.25.exe.

Despite the date in its name, it contains the updated launcher which works with Alder Lake CPU. Run the updated utility, it will fix the SWTOR installation. EA recommends then to remove the folder bitraider and all its content.

Note that the link to repair utility on EA support page is still not updated, that file LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.18.exe is old and cannot work with new CPU.

I have an Intel i9-12900KF and this worked, thank you! You were more helpful than customer support

Can you check i updated the repair utility on this link yesterday morning unless it is linked some where else too ?

Thanks for this update, although the link on the original EA support page can be updated only by EA staff. But it maybe for the best that it's still the old: the last BioWare changes in the launcher resulted in new incompatibility with some Ryzen CPUs, and obviously the repair utility should be updated again. Let's hope that Ryzen problem will be fixed soon (unfortunately I cannot help developers this time because of no such CPU in a few my PCs).

Edited by Cassianus

Thanks i have asked to get that updated

Nice to know that you are in contact with them, so people looking at the official support page will have the same links and recommendations.

The issue isnt specifically ryzen CPUs it appears to be ASUS ROG Zephyrus mostly affected

I see, not any Ryzen CPU is affected with this bug, mostly the users of that Asus laptop series. And this is a problem for developers: acquiring this (quite pricey) laptop only to fix this side effect of Alder Lake fix isn't very reasonable. Maybe some more easily obtained CPUs, incl. desktop ones, are affected too, it would be a bit easier.

But if I were a developer, I would solve this problem in different way: the old launcher code was fully compatible with Ryzen, so need to use it now, but also add the fixed code specifically for Alder Lake. As a result, launcher should have both the old and new codes which will be used depending on Alder Lake detection, for example, by the CPU string "12th Gen Intel". Not a universal nor a perfect solution, but it will work for a while and will give the developers enough time resources to improve the code and make it really universal, so the upcoming Raptor Lake and new versions of Ryzen will no longer be a problem. Otherwise delaying of 7.0 will be imminent: there is too few time left to fix the bug and properly test it on affected and still not affected machines.

Cassianus:

Thanks much for all that you have done to help the SWTOR community.

I was literally done with this game after buying my new computer and nothing from the DEVs on it.

The BW launcher does finally work... after several months of it not, and several months of really no word from the DEVs.

Thanks again, Cassianus. /salute

Jahrl, thank you for kind words! Thanks all who supported my work last month, who expressed their thoughts and asked the questions about Alder Lake patcher and Windows 11 compatibility. Such moral support meant a lot for me and allowed to continue my work here. Happily, it's over (almost) and now I can remove the patcher link from my signature. The files of patcher and source code will remain for a while for anyone who may be interesting in them.

I should thank BioWare staff too, but with mixed feelings. Although they never officially noticed my work, they also silently allowed it despite my fears that the modifying the game code in the memory may be counted as "TOS violation" and the links to patcher (and even my account) may be removed. Happily, the common sense took over. Thanks for this!

Some final thoughts:

• A good system programmer would be able to discover the source of Alder Lake incompatibility in a debugger and modify the code in 2-3 hours. Of course this cannot be predicted in advance, I estimate it counting on the reason of incompatibility I have found.
  • I spent about 3 days only on the patcher code. While I had an idea of a patch similarly to operations in the debugger, programming was too unobvious, code didn't work. I studied programming in common University course for scientific and statistical calculations; Asm x86 and Win32 API are a result of episodical self-education after. I needed much more time for coding the operations which a professional could do in a few minutes.
  • BioWare has eventually fixed the launcher after 3 months since discovering the bug, and a side effect of this fix is a new bug with some Ryzen CPUs, which they try to fix right now. Apparently they didn't have a system programmer at all...

Please try to use the launcher repair, need to download it from this website: LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.25.exe.

Despite the date in its name, it contains the updated launcher which works with Alder Lake CPU. Run the updated utility, it will fix the SWTOR installation. EA recommends then to remove the folder bitraider and all its content.

Note that the link to repair utility on EA support page is still not updated, that file LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.18.exe is old and cannot work with new CPU.

im on a i9 12th gen, this bypassed it for me nice one :)

Nice to know that you are in contact with them, so people looking at the official support page will have the same links and recommendations.

I see, not any Ryzen CPU is affected with this bug, mostly the users of that Asus laptop series. And this is a problem for developers: acquiring this (quite pricey) laptop only to fix this side effect of Alder Lake fix isn't very reasonable. Maybe some more easily obtained CPUs, incl. desktop ones, are affected too, it would be a bit easier.

But if I were a developer, I would solve this problem in different way: the old launcher code was fully compatible with Ryzen, so need to use it now, but also add the fixed code specifically for Alder Lake. As a result, launcher should have both the old and new codes which will be used depending on Alder Lake detection, for example, by the CPU string "12th Gen Intel". Not a universal nor a perfect solution, but it will work for a while and will give the developers enough time resources to improve the code and make it really universal, so the upcoming Raptor Lake and new versions of Ryzen will no longer be a problem. Otherwise delaying of 7.0 will be imminent: there is too few time left to fix the bug and properly test it on affected and still not affected machines.

OMG.........i have a Asus Rog Zephyrus G14......so this an issue with just Asus laptops??? The game was working just fine until Feb 09. Then this all launcher issue started from nowhere...i tried everything even you launcher repair and nothing. I am just so frustrated, its only my brand or model...guess ill just have to wait. Dunno. I was truly happy playing the game for two months now...damm...! Thanks for all your support btw

• 2 weeks later...

The only time I come here Is when something is broken. Once again here I am. Just bought a new alienware computer and started to do my game installls.

FF14 = done

Warframe = done

Star trek online = done

Star wars the old republic = busted.

The good news is the devs came up with something that worked.

Good Show Devs.

You could try the process from https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/GUIDE-Launcher-Troubleshooting/m-p/4805820/highlight/true#2

Just choose to save the utility into the same folder where you actually installed the game (The highest level folder where the game is.

You ROCK! Thank you so much! I tried all the other troubleshooting methods, and this worked with no problems!

• 2 weeks later...
THANK YOU! Just finished building my new rig after 2 very frustrating weeks of DOA components and compatibility nonsense. Finally got it up and running and was about to leap off the roof when my favorite game wouldn't come up. Really appreciate the fix!

• 3 weeks later...
This worked thanks!

This should be pinned to the start of this post along with detailed instructions on how to run the fix. I just went through several pages of forums trying to find a fix for this. EA needs to get on the ball and make this an official fix with an official post explaining how to run this fix.

Thanks to who ever finally got this fix out there. I am now watching the installer load the game onto my New PC.

Once the installation has completed what exactly do I need to do. I am reading that I need to uninstall the bitraider folder. Is this all I need to do? Then moving forward can I just use the desktop shortcut that was installed when I first downloaded the game?

• 5 months later...

Upgraded laptop to ASUS Strix Scar G773 w/ a i9 12900H & 3070 ti this evening & apparently this is still an issue.  Double click the shortcut after initial launcher install & nothing....

Tried Cassianus's Alder Lake Fix on a brand new download & install of the launcher on a brand new NVMe in a brand new Win 11 Pro load but no dice, exact same behavior after the initial successful launch of the launcher completing its update. 

Stock launcher works on my 10th Gen i9 Win10 box & the old 8th Gen i7 Win 10 laptop well enough but might be time to unsub & quit playing if there's no support for "new" hardware & no communicated timeline for support for a ~year old, mainstream CPU architecture that I've found yet...  

Edit: well my last bit about no time line for support was incorrect, I'm going blame my fail at finding the below thread in my first 15 minutes of searching on a 65 hour work week so far thanks to Hurricane Ian, lol

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/917489-alder-lake-issue-fix/#comment-9672578

Fingers crossed it works for me on the new laptop...  Still kinda screwed up they can't get a launcher out that just works for recent hardware,

Edit #2: So far so good w/ the EAWare launcher patch, successful update of launcher & login & download in progress...

Edited by SidNitzerglobin
Added updates & some mea culpa

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Has this blocker been open for two years now??

I was going to play some on my new setup with an Intel i5-13400F, but the launcher won't start at all. I suppose that is the bug covered in this thread?

Who is doing triage on the launcher bugs over at EA/Bioware/Broadsword? A cat?

After digging through the forum I found that one can get a startable launcher by downloading a repair utility, but why would that step be needed in a fresh installation of the launcher? How are new players supposed to know this stuff?

Edited by JohanGill