The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A returning player point of view

brutall

coming back after a few years break i just wanted to give my innput on how it was

1: the story is good like always

2: the new flashpoints was fun and i wish there where more :)

3: Galactic season is cool, fun side thing to grind for

4: set bonuses i love it hope they add more

5: Tacticals also love this i hope they keep building on this system maybe give us more that changes the looks on abilitys or somthing cool

things that felt a litle bit off for me was

1: leveling feels abit to fast, am always 5-10 lvl over my current zone, might not be bad for most ppl but it makes it feel less rewarding every time i level upp

2: Conquest also feels to easy now compered to when it came out, your done with your personal cap after like 1 random mastermode flashpoint

3: Performance could also be better. maybe they could do what most MMo got this days, add toggle to turn down other players abilitys effects since it sems like if you do a warzone at lvl 40 you run around with 100+ fps but when you do a warzone at lvl 75 it spikes down to 40/50 from time to time,

and no its not my computer its legit stuff

still love the game and cant wait for 7.0 and what that will bring

i hope for a class system like ff14 :p

Edited by brutall

1: Take off your gear, dismiss your companion, don't assign utility points and don't train new skill. Instant difficulty increase without affecting other peoples game.

2: If you want a conquest bonus, join a guild that does invasions. Conquest is already a bonus system and you want a bonus for getting your bonus? Sheesh!

3: Performance varies from player to player because every PC is different, check your end first.

You may want changes to levelling and conquest, but they are how they are because people who stayed wanted them changed. I think they're fine as they are.

I just came back as well, and I'm astonished how easy it is to level. I did notice however, that when I sent my companion Khem Val out to do a crew skill the golden icon mobs killed me. They were around 5 levels below me on Dromund Kaas, and they still messed me up. So apparently having the companion healer does make a big difference against certain enemies.

Still though, being at level 18 and scaled down I still wreck most areas mobs with the AoE Lacerate assassin ability. I remember having to be very efficient with my abilities and not pull too many mobs in the past. Too easy for me imo. There needs to be a little modicum of challenge

Edited by Forceconduit

2: If you want a conquest bonus, join a guild that does invasions. Conquest is already a bonus system and you want a bonus for getting your bonus? Sheesh!

I think OP was asking for an extra bonus for doing extra CQP above the 50K. Currently, once you get to 50K on a character, there's no special incentive *from*Conquest* for doing more on that character.

1: leveling is way to fast. you out leveling your zones way to fast and it makes the game feel smaler, 30% slower would be nice :p

You know what? This has come up once before in recent times, and I'll condense my reply to that one here:

Come back when you've leveled 3-4 toons to lvl 75 and then repeat that if you really feel like that then.

Because it might feel too fast the first one or two times you play, but trust me... doing sidequests and such gets very boring very fast when you've done the same quest ten times.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

I also returned recently.

I don't think leveling is fast I think PvE is overly easy because of healing companions. More specifically because companions auto heal and pretty effectively at that (no player management involved).

If PvE is engaging and moderately difficult it slows down the leveling considerably (can't run past or just decimate all NPCs with little to no effort) which would make mission completions take much longer. (If they made PvE mildly difficult maybe they could see fit to put some form of decent drop table in the game instead of massive junk loot).

Of course you could just tweak the XP requirements which now makes the lame PvE more of a thing since you now have to do side missions to maintain appropriate levels for each area.

Only thing keeping me engaged right now is Story and the ability to break down the useless loot I constantly get so that I can eventually purchase a good piece...and saving up my Sub CC so I can purchase skins for the gear which should be in the game and not on the store to begin with...(Sub game w/ a massive store with the majority of all game cosmetics for sale is disgusting).

Edited by Soljin

Come back when you've leveled 3-4 toons to lvl 75 and then repeat that if you really feel like that then.

No, let him come back when he's on his 37th toon, like I am.

I think OP was asking for an extra bonus for doing extra CQP above the 50K. Currently, once you get to 50K on a character, there's no special incentive *from*Conquest* for doing more on that character.

As I said, join a guild that does invasions for more CQ rewards. CQ isn't the game, you play and accumulate CQ points, which give a bonus if you hit a target. CQ isn't the point, it's a bonus system, like login rewards or renown levels.

As I said, join a guild that does invasions for more CQ rewards. CQ isn't the game, you play and accumulate CQ points, which give a bonus if you hit a target. CQ isn't the point, it's a bonus system, like login rewards or renown levels.

Tell me this, do the dailies at Max level provide a challenge? Back in the day they did. I am not big on OP's and group content outside of some pvp.

As long as there is some kind of end game content other than Operations and Flashpoints, I'll be happy. I just wanted a little bit of something other than mobs dying in one hit. I have all these abilities, yet I can kill packs of mobs with Lacerate. It's disappointing. I don't feel like I'm progressing as much as I'm just going through the motions to get to max level.

As it stands right now, this leveling system isn't teaching players how to CC or manage CD's and it doesn't teach the player the importance of rotations and situational awareness which is required for harder content.

In short, it's not preparing them for the true end game portion of the game. Even me, whom is a solo player, knows that coming from other mmo's.

Newly returned, myself. Rolled a new character to level with my wife, we're still on Alderan and already past lvl 50. Leveling does feel pretty quick, but I don't see it as a negative. Thus far my only issues are game performance and ability bloat. The latter supposedly being looked at for 7.0, dunno if there are any plans on improving performance and optimization. Overall still very much enjoying the game and glad to be back.

Story content will always be easy to the lowest common player. This was a problem when the game launched half the player base couldn't even get past the starting flashpoint. They will never make that happen again thus results in trivial story difficulty.

Always good to see returning players ..

** the stories to me have (for the most part) been one of the TOP selling points of the game. And yet ... as of late it is very quickly shrinking to only a small part of what it once was. Many of us are looking forward to see if the 10th anniversary will restore part of this !!

** The tacticals and amplifiers have definitely affected how the game is played. IMO it has resulted in the decision to make some of the new changes coming up in 7.0.

** Fast leveling has been mentioned several time in recent months which also might be responsible for the up coming changes in order to slow the game down. Many of us think this is a bad idea ! (at least as it is bein currently proposed).

** The difficulty level of the game has often been debated. There are a couple of good suggestions that have been made. But with the current resources be utilized for 7.0 as they are right now .. it's unlikely that this will be addressed equitably suiting PvP / PvE (solo and or group).

I am very curious to see what plays out when 7.0 is released.

1: Take off your gear, dismiss your companion, don't assign utility points and don't train new skill. Instant difficulty increase without affecting other peoples game.

so this is how you do it? :p i just feel like the leveling sems to easy you can spam 1 ability and you will kill every thing inn your path with out dying once, and yes you can ofc play with out your comp but that not how the game is balanced around, its not a problem it was just my point of view coming back to the game from how it used to be, leveling used to feel more rewarding, its still fun tho

no but when conquest came out it used to take more then 1 mastermode flashpoint to fill upp your personel cap. yes iam inn a guiild that do conquest, and the guild is even crushing the cap :p 1 day inn

i like the system i just wish there could be more do strive for

3: Performance varies from player to player because every PC is different, check your end first.

well i did ask my guild members and most of them reported the samme that if you do a low level warzone your frame rate is close to 40% better then it is at lvl 75 so maybe if we had the ability to turn down the effects of other players abilitys it would get better.

also my pc is inn the high end and can run most new games on max with out a problem inn 4k

and like i say i got good frame rate normaly its just when i do warzone i see this fps drops, but its playble i just wanted to say a point that might help

Indeed, Or when you're on alt number 98 like some of us.

I don't understand this "levelling fast is a problem" thing. I frequently buy the level 70 boost for alts now (because I want my ship now reasons) or use my XP gear set from the DvL to level from 1. Even at higher than area levels I still enjoy the class stories and other story content and the game lowers your level to match the area anyway. I find my character's level is irrelevant until I get to the latest content (story content not true "end game" stuff).

If it still took forever to get high enough to go the the next planet (like it used to) I doubt I'd be playing. I've said before when I returned to the game after a couple of years away I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of life changes.

You may want changes to levelling and conquest, but they are how they are because people who stayed wanted them changed. I think they're fine as they are.

Wow you did not comprehend one thing the OP posted. And gave advice that was nonsensical because you didn’t comprehend what they wrote. Go back and reread what the OP said and try again.

coming back after a few years break i just wanted to give my innput on how it was

5: Tacticals also love this i hope they keep building on this system maybe give us more that changes the looks on abilitys or somthing cool

things that felt a litle bit off for me was

1: leveling feels abit to fast, am always 5-10 lvl over my current zone, might not be bad for most ppl but it makes it feel less rewarding every time i level upp

2: Conquest also feels to easy now compered to when it came out, your done with your personal cap after like 1 random mastermode flashpoint

3: Performance could also be better. maybe they could do what most MMo got this days, add toggle to turn down other players abilitys effects since it sems like if you do a warzone at lvl 40 you run around with 100+ fps but when you do a warzone at lvl 75 it spikes down to 40/50 from time to time,

and no its not my computer its legit stuff

still love the game and cant wait for 7.0 and what that will bring

i hope for a class system like ff14 :p

Welcome back and don’t stress over some of the rude responses.

You’re not alone in your assessment. I’ve been here since day 1 and have had well over 200 Alts and that’s mainly because of lvling too fast.

But some people in the game now like that and others like how super easy the game has become.

Unfortunately they are the people BioWare have pandered to the last several years because they want people to rush to the end instead of enjoying the journey.

It’s BioWare’s intrinsic ego to always want people playing the newest content. Then they wonder why they can’t keep up with development because they made lvling too damn fast and easy. :rolleyes:

Also it’s probably not your PC (like others are suggesting). Most people have issues, even those of us with the best PCs and fibre internet have issues.

It’s the definitely the game engine. I agree Bioware could and should do something that fixes the FPS and Desync problems at lvl 75 in pvp. You don’t get most of the problems in lowbie or mid pvp.

One thing I do in pvp to help with performance is have shadows completely off and bloom off. Then I reduce the grass and tree quality to 50%. That should increase the performance in pvp some (depending on your hardware).

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Welcome back and don’t stress over some of the rude responses.

You’re not alone in your assessment. I’ve been here since day 1 and have had well over 200 Alts and that’s mainly because of lvling too fast.

But some people in the game now like that and others like how super easy the game has become.

Unfortunately they are the people BioWare have pandered to the last several years because they want people to rush to the end instead of enjoying the journey.

It’s BioWare’s intrinsic ego to always want people playing the newest content. Then they wonder why they can’t keep up with development because they made lvling too damn fast and easy.

Also it’s probably not your PC (like others are suggesting). Most people have issues, even those of us with the best PCs and fibre internet have issues.

It’s the definitely the game engine. I agree Bioware could and should do something that fixes the FPS and Desync problems at lvl 75 in pvp. You don’t get most of the problems in lowbie or mid pvp.

One thing I do in pvp to help with performance is have shadows completely off and bloom off. Then I reduce the grass and tree quality to 50%. That should increase the performance in pvp some (depending on your hardware).

thanks ill try that :)

thanks ill try that :)

I second this...Shadows and Bloom settings turned off makes a big difference in performance. I am running pretty much the strongest gaming laptop on the market and it still slows it down when I crank everything up in SWTOR... Not to mention it will give me a 3rd degree burn to play with settings maxed.

I tend to run the shadows on low even when I'm not in Warzones since the game just runs better. I used to run SWTOR on a pretty strong desktop build and it reacted the same way to SWToR...the game doesn't run great.

Edited by Soljin

I second this...Shadows off, Bloom off makes a big difference in performance. I am running pretty much the strongest gaming laptop on the market and it still slows it down when I crank everything up in SWTOR... Not to mention it will give me a 3rd degree burn to play with settings maxed.

I tend to run the shadows on low even when I'm not in Warzones since the game just runs better. I used to run SWTOR on a pretty strong desktop build and it reacted the same way to SWToR...the game doesn't run great.

hehe my pc is also prety sick new 2021 pc with 3080 and stuff but till test this out :)

hehe my pc is also prety sick new 2021 pc with 3080 and stuff but till test this out :)

I’ve actually found that depending on your CPU (the game is CPU intensive), that you can turn down some of the Anthropic and antialiasing settings in the game too and turn them right up outside the game using the Nvidia software. It can even give you a better image.

The only problem with that is when BioWare do a performance or graphics update patch and it ends up changing some colour textures.

I found my self swapping back and forth between in game settings and out of game nVidia settings last year when they were trying to fix stuff. In the end I just stuck with the in game settings. But you might have a different experience with you 3080

Ok, so here's the issue with asking for slower leveling.

Right now, the arguments I've heard for slower leveling speeds is that you "miss out" on all the side quests and exploration missions.

That's a pretty flimsy argument, seeing as there's nothing stopping you from doing those even if you happen to be over leveled.

If the game is kept at the current leveling speed, the players who don't want to do all the side quests and exploration missions can skip them without much issue.

And the people who want to do them can do all of them without any issue either (I'd argue that the game is already easy enough that your level is irrelevant to much of the gameplay anyway, so being over leveled isn't an issue. Not to mention the fact that you get down-leveled on planets if you're over leveled.)

However, if you change the leveling speed, the people who don't want to play the side quests and exploration missions will be forced into playing them.

So, the way I see it, if the leveling speed is unchanged, both sides can do what they want.

If the leveling speed is lowered, only one side gets to play the game the way they want.

You're asking for change that will impose your gameplay preferences on others that don't want to play the game that way. And all because you don't want to be over leveled, which really isn't an issue anyway.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Tell me this, do the dailies at Max level provide a challenge? Back in the day they did. I am not big on OP's and group content outside of some pvp.

Depends which dailies you're talking about. The Section X and Black Hole H4 missions *are* soloable (the multiplayer scripted mechanics at the end were rebuilt to not require multiple players), but they aren't "blindfold yourself and charge in spamming your basic attack" soloable.

You're asking for change that will impose your gameplay preferences on others that don't want to play the game that way. And all because you don't want to be over leveled, which really isn't an issue anyway.

No, OP was giving his opinion, which you and others here immediately jumped all over because omg can't let the devs hear that other players might want something different from you!! jfc they don't read these threads anyway and even if they did, people are allowed to like different things. No it is not a "flimsy argument", it's merely one you DISAGREE with. Lol "it isn't an issue"...to YOU. Note the difference:

A "flimsy argument" is the cocky assumption that players with a lot of alts must automatically want faster leveling. I have 60 alts and I want to level at the game's recommended, at-planetary level pace, and if you don't like me stating that opinion, too bad for you!

@brutall: Here are 2-3 things you can do to slow your leveling speed which will not gimp your character, unlike the 'suggestions' you were given before:

1) Use the White Acute Module. The Gree Vendor sells this on fleet at 2XP. It will slow your leveling considerably, not just during 2xp but at all times. I slap it on level 1 characters and after doing all quests and exploration missions, they leave the planet around lvl 10-11, and usually arrive on Corellia at lvl 48. You can toggle it on or off if you think you're going too slow.

2) Try to follow the recommended planet levels as best as you can. For example, the capital planets have a level range from 10-16. Try to leave DK/Coruscant at level 16. That means picking and choosing which quests you do, and which you skip. Do NOT follow the level sync recommended leveling, or you'll keep overleveling the planets. You can find the level range on the galaxy map for each planet.

3) You may want to consider leveling as a pref. I sub so i can do endgame stuff, buy expensive things from the GTN, and play forum pvp. I don't level new characters while subbed, because subs have a permanent +50% xp boost. As the devs explained back in the day, this is something they added on as a 'reward'; prefs and f2p level normally, in theory. So the WAM may not be as efficient for subs as it is for prefs, which may explain why subs have reported the WAM not working for them.

Oh, and if any devs do happen to read this: please make a sweeping change to the leveling process when you roll out 7.0 to slow it down for EVERYONE. I am supremely confident that you will not only read this textwall but make changes solely on my sayso, and not like the 50 other threads in the Suggestions Box that you don't read. :rak_03:

Edited by Ardrossan

No, OP was giving his opinion, which you and others here immediately jumped all over because omg can't let the devs hear that other players might want something different from you!! jfc they don't read these threads anyway and even if they did, people are allowed to like different things. No it is not a "flimsy argument", it's merely one you DISAGREE with. Lol "it isn't an issue"...to YOU. Note the difference:

A "flimsy argument" is the cocky assumption that players with a lot of alts must automatically want faster leveling. I have 60 alts and I want to level at the game's recommended, at-planetary level pace, and if you don't like me stating that opinion, too bad for you!

@brutall: Here are 2-3 things you can do to slow your leveling speed which will not gimp your character, unlike the 'suggestions' you were given before:

1) Use the White Acute Module. The Gree Vendor sells this on fleet at 2XP. It will slow your leveling considerably, not just during 2xp but at all times. I slap it on level 1 characters and after doing all quests and exploration missions, they leave the planet around lvl 10-11, and usually arrive on Corellia at lvl 48. You can toggle it on or off if you think you're going too slow.

2) Try to follow the recommended planet levels as best as you can. For example, the capital planets have a level range from 10-16. Try to leave DK/Coruscant at level 16. That means picking and choosing which quests you do, and which you skip. Do NOT follow the level sync recommended leveling, or you'll keep overleveling the planets. You can find the level range on the galaxy map for each planet.

3) You may want to consider leveling as a pref. I sub so i can do endgame stuff, buy expensive things from the GTN, and play forum pvp. I don't level new characters while subbed, because subs have a permanent +50% xp boost. As the devs explained back in the day, this is something they added on as a 'reward'; prefs and f2p level normally, in theory. So the WAM may not be as efficient for subs as it is for prefs, which may explain why subs have reported the WAM not working for them.

Oh, and if any devs do happen to read this: please make a sweeping change to the leveling process when you roll out 7.0 to slow it down for EVERYONE. I am supremely confident that you will not only read this textwall but make changes solely on my sayso, and not like the 50 other threads in the Suggestions Box that you don't read. :rak_03:

How dare you show empathy and common sense! Reported for a violation of the terms of sarcasm!

Hiya, I would like to ask you a question on each point, just to clarify.

1. How do you feel about the stories going from 8 different class stories to a single story for all?
  2. How often would you say you replay the same Flashpoint and in which mode do you play them?
  3. No question
  4. Since in the end there is always one or maybe two bonus sets that are the best, why would you want more of them?
  5. It would likely affect performance to do some cool visual effects. Would you still want it then?

Again, not to attack your opinion, but I'm interested to get your views on these things.

Why in the world would you suggest that they level more characters when they already don't like the process? It's not about the time involved, but the experience.

You know what? This has come up once before in recent times, and I'll condense my reply to that one here:

Because it might feel too fast the first one or two times you play, but trust me... doing sidequests and such gets very boring very fast when you've done the same quest ten times.