Combat styles explained. It probably doesn't mean what you think

Zergnaut

So there seems to be a lot of confusion on how combat styles will work. It doesn't mean what I have seen a lot of people think it means. Swtorista did a great job of explaining it in detail. Figured I would post this here to clear up some confusion for people.

Edited by Zergnaut

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it. It's reassuring to see that someone else sees the presented feature pretty much exactly the way I saw it.

Thanks for posting the link.

No problem. Long story short. Does this mean you can run around with a double bladed lightsaber on your Sith Warrior? No. This also most likely means that neutral Force players finally have a severe benefit in the game. If you keep your character neutral you can most likely pick between Sith Warrior abilities are Jedi Knight for an example

Does this mean you can do the Sith Warrior storyline as an assassin and have Jaesa as a companion? YES!

This also means if you were on the dark side as a Jedi Knight you can have Sith Warrior abilities in your story line. I can see that being a lot of fun.

With that said neutral players will most likely reap the biggest benefit in the game. They will most likely be able to pick as a Jedi Knight between Jedi Knight abilities and Sith Warrior abilities that's just an example

Edited by Zergnaut

No problem. Long story short. Does this mean you can run around with a double bladed lightsaber on your Sith Warrior? No. This also most likely means that neutral Force players finally have a severe benefit in the game. If you keep your character neutral you can most likely pick between Sith Warrior abilities are Jedi Knight for an example

Does this mean you can do the Sith Warrior storyline as an assassin and have Jaesa as a companion? YES!

This also means if you were on the dark side as a Jedi Knight you can have Sith Warrior abilities in your story line. I can see that being a lot of fun.

With that said neutral players will most likely reap the biggest benefit in the game. They will most likely be able to pick as a Jedi Knight between Jedi Knight abilities and Sith Warrior abilities that's just an example

Well, it does mean your Sith Warrior can run around with a double bladed lightsaber. It however also means they have to be Shadow or Assassin Combat Style.

Well, it does mean your Sith Warrior can run around with a double bladed lightsaber. It however also means they have to be Shadow or Assassin Combat Style.

I see neutral players having the most benefit. They have gotten none till now. They will I am sure the the ONLY ones to pick between lets say sage abilities or sorc. As where pure dark side or pure light side will be bound to one or the other

Edited by Zergnaut

Hell... if anyone needs a visual representation of what it will be like after the switch, just put trooper armour on all your non-trooper tech classes.

You'll have a trooper with a sniper rifle, a trooper with two blaster pistols and so on...

Because that's what it is, more or less.

It's just that you get to keep the trooper storyline, but use the other classes combat styles.

I don't get why so many people are misunderstanding this.

Hell... if anyone needs a visual representation of what it will be like after the switch, just put trooper armour on all your non-trooper tech classes.

You'll have a trooper with a sniper rifle, a trooper with two blaster pistols and so on...

Because that's what it is, more or less.

It's just that you get to keep the trooper storyline, but use the other classes combat styles.

I don't get why so many people are misunderstanding this.

Well, they still want weapon usage that isn't tied to spec. Single Blade Shadow for instance.

While I want that, if I have to go Warrior, I'll go Warrior instead.

This is me guessing Consular will have the same animations as Guardian or Warrior on their single blade use, and not new animations.

I just hope I can pick Warrior and an ability will have to have a light side version instead of it's dark side version. Project vs Lightning for instance.

I see neutral players having the most benefit. They have gotten none till now. They will I am sure the the ONLY ones to pick between lets say sage abilities or sorc. As where pure dark side or pure light side will be bound to one or the other

No, because neutrals can only pick their home faction's combat styles (er, neutral Force users, that is, since Tech users can use whatever they want).

What's not clear (and Swtorista kindasorta mentions it) is the exact rules for picking your home faction's styles.

No one is mentioning the fact that on all of your current character, if you are a Sith Juggernaut and have Dark Side 5 you can not use Jedi Guardian abilities. You have to grind out Light Side points, become Light Side to use them. Seems that that is the main content in this “New” expansion.

No one is mentioning the fact that on all of your current character, if you are a Sith Juggernaut and have Dark Side 5 you can not use Jedi Guardian abilities. You have to grind out Light Side points, become Light Side to use them. Seems that that is the main content in this “New” expansion.

I like that in a way. It would be convenient to be able to just flip flop, but with the way we choose “lightside” and “darkside” with the toggle switch, it doesnt take too long to grind and it would be rewarding.

Nobody except the BioWare presenters themselves, I guess. And Swtorista in her video. And me in everything I've had to say on the issue. Charles was quite clear, though, that opposite-faction styles are alignment-locked, although it's desperately unclear about whether opposite-aligned characters can still use their home-faction styles.

...although it's desperately unclear about whether opposite-aligned characters can still use their home-faction styles.

I am 100% certain that home-faction styles will remain unlocked regardless of your alignment. All hell would break lose if people would have to re-imagine all their characters after ten years due to a system that was previously absolutely inconsequential and were now stuck with animations they didn't even like.

Um actually yes it exactly means that you can run around as a Sith warrior with a double sided lightsaber if you pick the assassin archetype if you're DS or shadow if you're LS. You just get to pick from 12 archetypes instead of 3.

I doubt you'll be able to pick separate abilities though - you'll probably only be able to pick one archetype (but yeah, limited to your alignment - I highly doubt a Jedi with an alignment less than Dark III or whatever would be able to pick DS abilities).

They should have a token (CM it would be, of course) that clears / resets your alignment to 0, which his right in the middle.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Nobody except the BioWare presenters themselves, I guess. And Swtorista in her video. And me in everything I've had to say on the issue. Charles was quite clear, though, that opposite-faction styles are alignment-locked, although it's desperately unclear about whether opposite-aligned characters can still use their home-faction styles.

We know that about Force Lightning. I don't think it clarified how else things may work. What if being Lightside Jedi but picking Sorcerer means you just get a different animation for Force Lightning, but animations of the other abilities?

I would want Warrior fighting style over Guardian for example. Even if that means no Force Choke (though there were Jedi who did use Force Choke).

From her video it is clear that if you are Sorcerer want to play Consular, you have to go Light Side and you will use Consular skills, you won’t be able to use lighting.

I can't imagine them stopping Inquisitors from using Lightning Skills just because they're light side, so I'd imagine there's going to be something that allows the class to still shoot lightning while being lightside.

Which means, there should be a way for someone to use Warrior Class and still be light side. What skills it changes, on each style, I don't know.

I just doubt it won't have an option for light side Sith to keep using the original abilities.

I can't imagine them stopping Inquisitors from using Lightning Skills just because they're light side, so I'd imagine there's going to be something that allows the class to still shoot lightning while being lightside.

Which means, there should be a way for someone to use Warrior Class and still be light side. What skills it changes, on each style, I don't know.

I just doubt it won't have an option for light side Sith to keep using the original abilities.

Here's how I understand it:

If you want to use the consular combat styles as a sith inquisitor, you have to be light side.

BUT, you won't be forced into using the consular combat styles just because you're light side.

It's still a choice.

Same with warrior and knight.

Want to use the knight combat styles as your sith warrior? Then you have to be light side aligned.

Want to still use your warrior combat styles on your light side sith warrior? Go right a head.

Whatever character you choose to create is the story that you will be doing. but with combat styles you can play that storyline as a different class/spec. AKA Make an Imperial sorc and your story will be tied to that but you may play through that as a imperial juggernaut instead using a lightsaber along with all of its class skills. As you progress through the game abit you may even consider raising your light side points, allowing you to now be a guardian instead of a juggernaut playing through the imperial inquisitor storyline. this will mean you will have the animation effects and probably the skill icons on your bar as the guardian instead of the juggernaut stuff now, but you will still be playing through the game as an inquisitor story. this is literally all its doing. end game wise sure you will be able to swap between the tech classes or the force classes for whatever purpose PVE but thats about it with combat styles, nothing more to it than that. the weapons will still be tied to the combat style you choose, it does not mean you will be able to use force lightning or w/e as a dual bladed character, because the only ones that can use that are assassins, which means you will be using assassin skills since that is what you chose and the weapon you are currently using, it does not mean you can be a double lightsaber marauder being able to go into stealth and spike people like an assassin. Edited by tharlainmar

how do you even get a neutral character? my diplomacy missions decided I was a dark side agent after space bar + 1 spamming a couple conversations on the starter planet, and now every time I send someone out for a mission, it piles on more dark side points despite the fact that I overwhelmingly choose light side decisions in cut scenes.

Here's how I understand it:

If you want to use the consular combat styles as a sith inquisitor, you have to be light side.

BUT, you won't be forced into using the consular combat styles just because you're light side.

It's still a choice.

Same with warrior and knight.

Again from the video, that is exactly how it is going to be. You will not be able to use Dark Side skills if you chose a Light Side AC. I would absolutely love to use dual wield on my Sorc and still throw lighting around. It would be great to finally have a few actual lightsaber skills to go with it but it is not going to happen.

So, I will ask because I have no idea, who is Swtorista? She is a content creator but does she have the inside know? Has she been right about this stuff before? Because if she has then a lot of people are going to be disappointed on the day of release.

Going by the video, all this means is that now I can finally play as a Jedi Guardian and a Sith Warrior while doing the same Consular and Inquisitor story and to be able to use the opposite faction skills, you will have to grind out the corresponding Light or Dark side points or you will not be allowed to us them. Dark Side 5? Go run a crap ton of Flash Points until you a natural again and then get Light Side points. That does not sound fun to me.

The only benefit I see if you roll a new character, you can then start off how you wanted, do the story the way you wanted and select the advanced class you wanted and a big thing for me, getting the Jedi title on my Guardian. Again, many of use are tired of the stories. For me IMO is that my characters will now actually have the correct voices for their classes. That is all.

Yeah, yeah, I get it, may RP people will love this, we all get it but again, it is not what the majority is hoping for, this is not new content, this is BioWare hoping we will roll new characters to keep us busy.

Edited by Effec

Most people are still confused.

You get to pick your character's story at character generation.

After that, you can change your advanced class at any time -- with ls/ds points opening up and restricting choices for force users.

So, if you start as a Juggernaut, you have the Sith Warrior warrior story and pull your skills from Sith Warrior and Juggernaut skill lists.

You can then switch to whatever class -- let's say Sith Assassin. You then, magically, lose all your skills from the Sith Warrior and Juggernaut lists and they get replaced by all the skills from the Sith Inquisitor and Assasin skill lists. But you keep the Sith Warrior story. You can be whatever, but you still keep the original story you chose. That's it.

You're NOT mixing Sith Warrior base class skills (including armor/weapons, which is a skill) with a new advanced class.

So many people are hyping themselves up to be disappointed by combat styles. But this is great for new players.

Edited by Daemonjax

Most people are still confused.

You get to pick your character's story at character generation.

After that, you can change your advanced class at any time -- with ls/ds points opening up and restricting choices for force users.

So, if you start as a Juggernaut, you have the Sith Warrior warrior story and pull your skills from Sith Warrior and Juggernaut skill lists.

You can then switch to whatever class -- let's say Sith Assassin. You then, magically, lose all your skills from the Sith Warrior and Juggernaut lists and they get replaced by all the skills from the Sith Inquisitor and Assasin skill lists. But you keep the Sith Warrior story. You can be whatever, but you still keep the original story you chose. That's it.

You're NOT mixing Sith Warrior base class skills (including armor/weapons, which is a skill) with a new advanced class.

So many people are hyping themselves up to be disappointed by combat styles. But this is great for new players.

Yeah it seems pretty clear to me so I'm confused people are not getting it...

how do you even get a neutral character? my diplomacy missions decided I was a dark side agent after space bar + 1 spamming a couple conversations on the starter planet, and now every time I send someone out for a mission, it piles on more dark side points despite the fact that I overwhelmingly choose light side decisions in cut scenes.

You fiddle the alignment toggle thing back and forth to generate the right points that you want.

This thing: https://i.imgur.com/aMQdyc6.jpg

It might be hiding wholly or partially behind the minimap.