I'd like to have the option to skip the main story line and still get ship and comps!

Baldrix

I am a solo-non-endgame subscriber and i'd like to have what the title says!

I know there are ways around it but i would just love to start at lvl 1 and get my ship at a certain level (like my speeder skill) as a 'free agent' and have nothing to do with the main story whatsoever.

It can't be that hard to implement and i see no drawback in it for other players. Give it at lvl 15-ish or sometihing like that.

And throw in the companions as well. You do it with other companions so... why not?

It would greatly enhance my enjoyment.

That's all. Have a nice day!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you want the leveling "experience" but not the story?

The Master's datacron is for those who want to skip leveling but play the story.

The Commander's Character Token is for those who want to skip both story and leveling.

No option to skip story but not leveling, it's not that kind of game, going to a higher level planet won't end pretty, BW would have to revamp the level sync system, to leveled up lowbie chars to the planet's level, and still at some point you would miss skills that the combat design for the later planets expects you to have (like stun break or interrupt).

Edited by Mubrak

It's called a Master's Datacron, available from the Cartel Market.

No, that is a level boost. That is not what i'm saying.

I want to play/level a character WITHOUT the main storyline but WITH my ship and crew. Not nescessarily all at the same time of course.

In a game that has choices it should be the very first choice to make. Do i want to level through the storyline or outside of all that.

Just a little bit of freedom from the linear straight jacket way and a pretty easy to implement one at that imo.

No, that is a level boost. That is not what i'm saying.

I want to play/level a character WITHOUT the main storyline but WITH my ship and crew. Not nescessarily all at the same time of course.

In a game that has choices it should be the very first choice to make. Do i want to level through the storyline or outside of all that.

Just a little bit of freedom from the linear straight jacket way and a pretty easy to implement one at that imo.

Here's the problem, the companions are tied to the main story, so when you make the choice to skip the main story, you make the choice to skip the companions, and ship, barring one of the options listed previously. So if you want to level up naturally, and get the comps, you're going to have to play the story missions, because they are tied to them. The ship is also tied to the story. For a Smuggler, it is an integral part of the beginning of the story.

So, what you're asking for is to completely rebuild the game, from the ground up, to get a different way to get the ship and comps. It's not likely to be a thing, short of the aforementioned unlocks, since a rebuild of that magnitude is prohibitively expensive.

Here's the problem, the companions are tied to the main story, so when you make the choice to skip the main story, you make the choice to skip the companions, and ship, barring one of the options listed previously. So if you want to level up naturally, and get the comps, you're going to have to play the story missions, because they are tied to them. The ship is also tied to the story. For a Smuggler, it is an integral part of the beginning of the story.

So, what you're asking for is to completely rebuild the game, from the ground up, to get a different way to get the ship and comps. It's not likely to be a thing, short of the aforementioned unlocks, since a rebuild of that magnitude is prohibitively expensive.

Nonsense... nothing is tied to anything. You already skip story when you choose an advanced Chapter at certain levels.... where you also auto-complete all storylines before that point in time. The game actually explains that when you make a choice.

Its exactly what happens with the Datacron but without the levelboost. All it needs is its own choice button right after the character creation screen.

So you want the leveling "experience" but not the story?

Yup, pretty much.

No option to skip story but not leveling, it's not that kind of game, going to a higher level planet won't end pretty,

I can do it right now but miss out on my ship and favorite cmp/character combinations. Going to a higher level planet is MY problem isn't it? A players choice.

BW would have to revamp the level sync system, to leveled up lowbie chars to the planet's level, and still at some point you would miss skills that the combat design for the later planets expects you to have (like stun break or interrupt).

You can 'buy' skills at certain levels ... i see no problem here?

Just gimme the Datacron option right after the character creation screen and hold the levelboost.

Its not rocket science.

Nonsense... nothing is tied to anything. You already skip story when you choose an advanced Chapter at certain levels.... where you also auto-complete all storylines before that point in time. The game actually explains that when you make a choice.

Its exactly what happens with the Datacron but without the levelboost. All it needs is its own choice button right after the character creation screen.

Well, if it's nonsense, you should already be able to do it. Let us know how that works out for ya'?

So I'm just going to run with SW:

Vette: Story line requires her in the last part of the SW story on Korriban.

Quinn: Joins after Balmorra's arc for the SW.

Pierce: Joins after SW story arc on Taris.

Broonmark: Joins after SW story arc on Hoth.

Jaessa: Is the whole thing you're after for the first chapter of the SW story.

Ship: Awarded after completion of DK arc.

Hmm, seems like they're all pretty firmly tied to the storyline from here. This list could go on for all of the other 7 classes. So untying them from the story arc, while still allowing one to play the planetary arcs, or FPs or PvP w/out the class missions is going to be a rather extensive rework of all 8 class stories. That you don't want this to be true doesn't make it "nonsense", it just means "but I want it, and so it should be easy to get".

Well, if it's nonsense, you should already be able to do it. Let us know how that works out for ya'?

So I'm just going to run with SW:

Vette: Story line requires her in the last part of the SW story on Korriban.

Quinn: Joins after Balmorra's arc for the SW.

Pierce: Joins after SW story arc on Taris.

Broonmark: Joins after SW story arc on Hoth.

Jaessa: Is the whole thing you're after for the first chapter of the SW story.

Ship: Awarded after completion of DK arc.

Hmm, seems like they're all pretty firmly tied to the storyline from here. This list could go on for all of the other 7 classes. So untying them from the story arc, while still allowing one to play the planetary arcs, or FPs or PvP w/out the class missions is going to be a rather extensive rework of all 8 class stories. That you don't want this to be true doesn't make it "nonsense", it just means "but I want it, and so it should be easy to get".

Did you actually read the title of this thread?

The whole point is to skip all of that and its already possible with the datacron but i don't want a levelboost.

Just an option where i get my ship and crew but can still level from 1 and up.

Pretty easy to implement something that is already there i would think. And im actually asking to leave something out, instead of getting something extra. I won't ask for a refund though... LOL.

The whole point is to skip all of that and its already possible with the datacron but i don't want a levelboost.

Pretty easy to implement something that is already there i would think. And im actually asking to leave something out, instead of getting something extra. I won't ask for a refund though... LOL.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hesitate to post on these forums anymore, as everything I say is being scrutinised and used to target me, but I feel this needed a response

This is NOT already in the game, you missed the point everyone was trying to make, you CAN skip the story, but the game still counts you as completing those levels, so essentially you have done them. What you want is to get your ship/crew, without completing the story, which does NOT happen by any means. BECAUSE even if you skip, by ANY means, the game still marks you as having completed the story.

For the record, I'm not saying it's a bad idea, and shouldn't be looked at. Just commenting because you seem to be missing what they are saying. It's probably possible to implement, but that's not the issue, the issue is, how easy will it be, and how much cc's/profit can they get from it (compared to people hours to do it)

Edited by DarkTergon

Except that you've made a critical error (aided and abetted by how JQ described the Datacron).

The Master's Datacron *only* gives you your ship and your ship droid. The rest of the crew are still acquired by playing through the class story. The most problematic is probably Jaesa Wilsaam, since she comes in two versions, and the one you get is selected by how you play the class story.

And how do you propose that the companions' stories would work, seeing as how they are gated by progress through the class story?

But you *are* asking to get something extra. You're asking to have the companions without having to do the work for them.

Except that you've made a critical error (aided and abetted by how JQ described the Datacron).

A critical error no less.

The Master's Datacron *only* gives you your ship and your ship droid.

Okay, i'll take it.

The rest of the crew are still acquired by playing through the class story. The most problematic is probably Jaesa Wilsaam, since she comes in two versions, and the one you get is selected by how you play the class story.

They can settle on blank copies like they do with all the other comps. I can already take 2 out of my collection at lvl 1 and even more at lvl 10.

But if all that would be a problem i'd settle for the ship + droid. Thing is i'd take the droid anyway, even if i had all the comps.

how do you propose that the companions' stories would work, seeing as how they are gated by progress through the class story?

Who cares? I want to skip all that remember?

And besides.... the 'meaningfull' interactions are just short scenario's using the comp character as actor. Afterwards they just turn back into walking computerfiles who rattle the same standard responses when you click on them. And once the comp-talk sessions are over and the class line is done they turn into their old blank selves permanently.

Pretty sure they can be dropped into the game anywhere at any time and you don't need storylines for that.

But you *are* asking to get something extra. You're asking to have the companions without having to do the work for them.

For starters there is no 'work' involved in playing a game for fun and relaxation. Secondly, i can get a ton of comps anyway without doing "the work" already. Some of them came for free for playing and paying the game.

All i ask is an option to skip the main story/class/comp parts and let me do my own thing with my ship (and maybe a droid and comps even).

Its an easy addition to the content. Where is the problem in that?

...and, if you'd read the replies, instead of "but he's disagreeing with me, and it's nonsense", then you'd know they'd have to rewrite all 8 classes to have an available way to do that. Because despite how many times you may claim it, it's not already there. There is no circumstance at all where you can get your comps, and your ship, at level 1. You're asking for a whole lot extra, which is my point. Just using my example, you'd have to juggle the entirety of the SW arc, in order to get a comp that is the focus of the first act. They can skip you to 60, and give them, but there is no item available that rewards the comps and the ship at level 1. I realize that this is what you want, but you don't realize how much work they'd have to do to grant it.

Comp dialogs are now tied to story completion, instead of influence. How are you going to trigger those? How are you going to trigger any romances, assuming you go for any of them? I'm sure they could revert to the old way, where it was influence based, but do you expect them to run one system for you, and one for everyone else? There's some more work where you're supposedly "not asking to add anything". I just don't think you realize what it is you're actually asking for.

I just don't think you realize what it is you're actually asking for.

A Datacron without the levelboost. Without the comps even... who cares. Just my ship and droid.

But im sure they are empty thread models with different skins and no personality (bar the comp specific standard lines they utter on ocasion). Which is of course why they refuse to have a decent conversation with you after Chapter 3 is done and all comp interactions stop.

You are making it way bigger that it really is.

Hey, i'll even pay CC for an option to remove all Class content when i want a rogue character with a ship an no Class quests. 500 CC should cover that i'd say.... but free for subs of course.

Actually, I think you can consume and use the Master's Datacron, and then use one of the options to skip ahead to Iokath or Ossus or Onsalught, and then use the Companion Locator Terminal on Odessen to get all the original companions back, for most classes at least. So, you've skipped the main vanilla story, and you've gotten your ship, and you have gotten your companions, sort of. The only thing not in your requirements is that you are level boosted to 70, and by skipping all the content prior to Iokath/Ossus/Onslaught, any choices/titles/achievements related to that content is not accessible any longer. That's the best you can do at this time, and that's based on my understanding of how the story skipping works, so I may have some details wrong.

For the record, I see any expenditure related to fully meeting the exact specifications of the OP's request as a waste of developer resources, but that's my opinion.

Actually, I think you can consume and use the Master's Datacron, and then use one of the options to skip ahead to Iokath or Ossus or Onsalught, and then use the Companion Locator Terminal on Odessen to get all the original companions back, for most classes at least. So, you've skipped the main vanilla story, and you've gotten your ship, and you have gotten your companions, sort of. The only thing not in your requirements is that you are level boosted to 70, and by skipping all the content prior to Iokath/Ossus/Onslaught, any choices/titles/achievements related to that content is not accessible any longer. That's the best you can do at this time, and that's based on my understanding of how the story skipping works, so I may have some details wrong.

Hense me expressing my wish for an option to level characters outside the main storylines.

For the record, I see any expenditure related to fully meeting the exact specifications of the OP's request as a waste of developer resources, but that's my opinion.

That's okay, i'm sure there are parts of the game you like that i would find a total waste of time and effort as well.

There is none.

None of the items that are in game that have been listed here are "free for subs". So "I'll pay, but it['s free for subs" is ironic. Your argument is that it should be really easy to make what you want, and that you'd pay for it, unless you're a sub, and then it should be free. This from someone posting as a sub, so that item that you'd pay for will be free for you.

Hmm, maybe there is another word for that...

None of the items that are in game that have been listed here are "free for subs". So "I'll pay, but it['s free for subs" is ironic. Your argument is that it should be really easy to make what you want, and that you'd pay for it, unless you're a sub, and then it should be free. This from someone posting as a sub, so that item that you'd pay for will be free for you.

Hmm, maybe there is another word for that...

There are actually options already ingame where you can skip content that i never had to pay extra for. I don't really know how that is for non-subs and i don't really care.

500 cc for non-subs seemed reasonable to me but could be anywhere from 0 to 100.000 cc.... as i said, i don't care.

I am subbed and I still buy and spend CC in this game because i enjoy it a lot. But i don't think its reasonable to charge extra for an option for SKIPPING content that is already possible to leave out at higher levels through similar options.

I simply want a small part of an existing option to be available at a lower level so i can 'sandbox' a little.

Its not a big deal and would be very easy to implement since its an existing mechanic already.

To be honest, it should have been an option for players a long time ago imo.

There are actually options already ingame where you can skip content that i never had to pay extra for. I don't really know how that is for non-subs and i don't really care.

500 cc for non-subs seemed reasonable to me but could be anywhere from 0 to 100.000 cc.... as i said, i don't care.

I am subbed and I still buy and spend CC in this game because i enjoy it a lot. But i don't think its reasonable to charge extra for an option for SKIPPING content that is already possible to leave out at higher levels through similar options.

I simply want a small part of an existing option to be available at a lower level so i can 'sandbox' a little.

Its not a big deal and would be very easy to implement since its an existing mechanic already.

To be honest, it should have been an option for players a long time ago imo.

You do, of course, realize that the content you're thinking should have been skippable "a long time ago" is the content that put the game on the map in the first place, right? Options to skip it now do exist, but when you read the forums long enough, you see a pattern that emerges, and starts on Ilum: The class story uniqueness is gone. From Ilum on, everyone essentially has the same story, and that drives this community batty, and understandably so, since the vanilla game is essentially 8 games, with parallel planetary arcs on each planet, for each faction.

You can't actually *skip* the main-story content. (For this purpose, Ilum, Makeb, Oricon, and CZ-198 do not count as main-story content, for ... reasons.) What you can do is have the game play it for you and mark it as completed, which it does very much more quickly than you could ever manage. Your goal of being a "free" or "rogue" actor is not currently possible, except by buying that Master's Datacron and levelling immediately to 70. If you use a Commander's Character token, or if you level up by slaughtering the highest-level foes you can find on your starter world until you qualify to play lowbie PvP, then level up using PvP, and then directly begin Jedi Under Siege (and let the mission rot in your log), your character will be treated as having played through the class story, the Revan/Emperor stuff, KotFE, KotET, and the Traitor arc FPs. *You* didn't play those things, but your character did.

But anyway, let's say they built this thing. Where exactly would you *go* in your level 1 character's ship? The only planets where you could survive would be, er, the other starter planet of your faction. Or the Fleet. Level Sync does not sync you *up* if you are below the recommended level (ref: occasional complaints of being unable to injure foes in the later parts of Tatooine, or (more rarely) being unable to even go *down* to Quesh becuse the character is level 30), except on Onderon and Mek-Sha (which are like that for "special" reasons).

EDIT: no, that thing about Quesh is not made up. I was actually in-game, on the surface of Quest when the person asked in /general how to get to the surface. Turns out that Quesh is the only class-story planet where you have to have the <Story Arc> mission in your log or already completed in order to go down to the surface, and the NPC that gives it to you won't do so unless you are at least level 32. The person asking was only level 30. END-EDIT.

Note what I said about about it not being *skipping* from a game-mechanical point of view. And in any event, the two paragraphs are contradictory - you either don't care how much it costs, or you think a non-zero cost is unreasonable.

Shame this is a themepark game... (Yes, I'm yanking your chain here.)

Except that, as noted, it *isn't* an existing mechanic. It shares some vague similarities with some existing mechanics, but it *isn't* those mechanics.

Ultimately, as might have already been said, this smells of "I want them to restructure vaste swathes of the game's infrastructure just to suit me", for whatever quantity of "vast swathes" is relevant. And that's not going to happen.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

You do, of course, realize that the content you're thinking should have been skippable "a long time ago" is the content that put the game on the map in the first place, right?

And here i am desecrating the Holy of all Holyness by skipping all that goodness and even asking for a convenient button to do so from lvl 1 and up. :rolleyes:

Options to skip it now do exist, but when you read the forums long enough, you see a pattern that emerges, and starts on Ilum: The class story uniqueness is gone. From Ilum on, everyone essentially has the same story, and that drives this community batty, and understandably so, since the vanilla game is essentially 8 games, with parallel planetary arcs on each planet, for each faction.

What is your point here? That i should not be allowed to skip the Class storylines i already did a million times?

Or is the fact that i manage to play the game without them offending you in any way?

Parts of the game are already skippable... just one option more on the characterscreen would be a PLUS for some people. Sorry if you are unable to see that.

Came here to say similar to this.

I see OP's point though - an item to skip class story, get ship and companions? I personally think that's madness because I love most of the class stories, but I can see why some people would want to skip. I want to be able to skip KotFE/KotET/Iokath on many alts BUT be able to choose the outcomes rather than have the game's default options.

And here i am desecrating the Holy of all Holyness by skipping all that goodness and even asking for a convenient button to do so from lvl 1 and up. :rolleyes:

This is the whole issue you're having, right here. Assigning motive isn't going to help you out much, mostly because you're wrong about what I'm even talking about, or where that opinion of your idea is coming from. But hey, it's your world, and we're all just figments, right?

What is your point here? That i should not be allowed to skip the Class storylines i already did a million times?

Or is the fact that i manage to play the game without them offending you in any way?

Parts of the game are already skippable... just one option more on the characterscreen would be a PLUS for some people. Sorry if you are unable to see that.

That the method you want to use isn't likely to happen. It's what I've been saying since my first post in the thread. Of course, you're off on tangents of assigning motives. Here's my motive: reality. As was pointed out subsequently, you get to "skip" it, but your character doesn't. This is how the "skip to 60" tokens work, as well as the "skip to 70" and the skipping of the story arcs that you can do at your ship's mission terminal. None of what you're asking for exists in the game, in it's current state, and adding it isn't cost effective. As you said, you feel like it should be free for subs, and 500 CC for everyone else that may want to use it, for no benefit whatsoever to the player. You have your ship, your droid, and your crew, and no where to play.

PvP doesn't open up until what, level 10? Any where besides your starter world you try to go is going to outright own you, unless, of course, you expect them to revamp all of that to suit your little niche desire too? That's a lot of money you want them to spend to accommodate something you're going to get for free through your sub, right? "But I'd be willing to pay" is cool and all, but how many others are going to? I certainly won't be. I can already skip all the class missions, if I want to, and I still don't. Hell, I've still got a freebie from way back whenever. If I'm not using that, why would I want to pay for one, and it's not going to be 500 CC, the current iterations of "skip to X" cost a lot more than that, and there's no reason to think this one would be any different, other than your fiction of "but it's already in the game, so it should be easy".