Honest questions from a GSF noob

What is your latency to the servers?

Do you pre-select "Ready" for you ship choice or do you select your ship and hit ready at or just after the timer counts down to zero?

The reason I ask is that as someone who due to accidents of geography has latency in the 30 to 50 ms range, I can tell you that not everyone spawns into a GSF map at the same time.

I usually wait before tensoring. I shift power to engines, then just sit there till I start seeing ships fly past me, and then hit tensor. The reason is that if I hit tensor and boost as soon as I spawn in, only 1-3 players (counting me as one of them), will get the speed boost. Everyone else won't have spawned into the map yet. By the time half of a team has spawned in, I can potentially already be halfway to a satellite. By the time the last person spawns in, I can potentially be about 75% of the way through solo capping a satellite. The problem is that holding a sat 1 v 6 in a Spearpoint/Bloodmark is rough going, so it's better to wait longer and share the Tensor with the rest of the team, even if they're slower to phase in.

So if you spawn in, and a fraction of a second later a sat turns, it's almost certainly someone with a full speed build Tensor scout who has really low latency and was not polite enough to wait and share their tensor with teammates.

It's a valid strategy if you have the network connection needed to make it happen. Not entirely fair perhaps, but until they make modems that work based on "spooky action at a distance" we're stuck with fiber-optics and copper, and the signal delays that go with them.

I assume that the spawn in delay is to support making sure that the server positively knows which ship you have selected. So that's a round trip to confirm the ship choice, and then perhaps another round trip for actual spawning. If each trip is a big chunk of a second, or more than a second, the folks that are boosting with the Tensor buff are going to have covered some serious distance.

My take - if they are too slow to benefit from the tensor, they are not going to be worth counting on to make use of the tensor. I spawn out of the gate with tensor, fast as possible, and activate the field at about 1.00 seconds off spawn. You need to be at the node for tensor to work. If you hold back, it defeats the object of the tensor. But I also don't tensor unless I see a couple of people on my team I know will take advantage and get to work on the nodes. Tensor can win games, but if your team sucks, it ain't gonna do anything. Just my thoughts on it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Triss, just as an example for you I rummaged through some of my recordings and found a fairly average match where I actually stayed in a tensor scout instead of tensoring and then self destructing.

Note that I'm already at C and capturing it by the time the last person on my team reaches the bow of our spawn ship.

Another note, if someone had been in a Blackbolt/Novadive with maximum speed upgrades and barrel roll, they could have used my tensor to get to the satellite a second or two ahead of me. I also could have gained maybe 0.25 seconds if I had tensored and boosted as soon as possible. I didn't really wait around in this one, but I wasn't as quick as I could have been either.

Distances vary of course, and the easiest sat to rapid capture I'd say is C in Lost Shipyards starting from the Republic spawn. Didn't find any good example videos in my folders, but I'm pretty sure I've had that one fully captured before the last stragglers on my team spawn in more than once.

Edited by Ramalina

I'd need to see video evidence to believe it, or have it verified by someone I know for a certainty wouldn't mistake what they are seeing. Not impossible, but I have never come across an accusation of cheating that was not explained by lack of understanding / knowledge of the game.

Again, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I've played GSF for over five years. I know what I saw and it was cheating, by a guy who habitually, deliberately engaged in dodgy behavior, such that he was well-known for it. Plus, he did it and was soon after never seen again. Draw your own conclusions. If you think I'm lying, I couldn't give a damn what you think, then. If you think I saw something that wasn't cheating and not understood what I saw, pull back on your arrogance, dude. You're not the only person who knows how GSF works.

And if you think you're so important that I need to start recording all my GSF matches as proof for you when I see something dodgy, Jesus. Who do you think you are?

Do you honestly think speed hacks are impossible? That it could *never* happen? I've already said that I've only seen this once in the five plus years I've been playing.

Edited by chucique

I'd need to see video evidence to believe it, or have it verified by someone I know for a certainty wouldn't mistake what they are seeing. Not impossible, but I have never come across an accusation of cheating that was not explained by lack of understanding / knowledge of the game.

He's not wrong. Latency exploits and data packet manipulation have been a thing pretty much since the start of on-line gaming.

As far as swtor is concerned, the usage of hacks and progs is generally an issue for the more popular pvp modes. Just the other day I saw a thread with screens of a team being attacked in their own spawn before the match started. And that was just recent. But even when I started years ago there was usually something, like I believe the quesh huttball map was notorious for one for ages.

GSF is far less popular and most accusers lack the knowledge and experience to be able to tell the difference. But for example, Lost shipyards TDM has at least 2 spots that I know of where a player can enter terrain (from very specific spots) and fire outward but are completely protected from attack from that terrain. But those are mainly known to lazy bomber pilots.

The real irritating ones are the folks that teleport - lag spikes are unavoidable so its not really as simple as seeing something and making a conclusion in seconds. However, when you see someone constantly teleporting around at speeds not normally possible (ie appear disappear reappear) in either a very controlled or completely random (the ones that tend to crash into terrain they pretty far from last appearance) it tends become blatant.

It was just two to three days ago or so I was fighting a seismic bomber that moved perfectly smooth (like normal flight) until getting near sat then would get extremely jerky teleporting slightly in opposing directions. I'm not talking boost tap and turn, because the bomber doesn't turn fast enough naturally to recreate the extreme angles he'd turn in an instant.

And even years ago, it was still a thing in gsf to occasionally see someone teleporting around. One of the few benefits of GSF being a less popular mode was it was largely ignored by the exploit users.

Again, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I've played GSF for over five years. I know what I saw and it was cheating, by a guy who habitually, deliberately engaged in dodgy behavior, such that he was well-known for it. Plus, he did it and was soon after never seen again. Draw your own conclusions. If you think I'm lying, I couldn't give a damn what you think, then. If you think I saw something that wasn't cheating and not understood what I saw, pull back on your arrogance, dude. You're not the only person who knows how GSF works.

And if you think you're so important that I need to start recording all my GSF matches as proof for you when I see something dodgy, Jesus. Who do you think you are?

Do you honestly think speed hacks are impossible? That it could *never* happen? I've already said that I've only seen this once in the five plus years I've been playing.

It's still incumbent upon you the person claiming hack, to prove it. That's how the devs will approach any claims of hacking. And without evidence, it will fall on deaf ears when it comes to reporting hacks to the devs. I could turn your argument on you. Just because people claim hack, doesn't mean it was. If that was the case I would be a cheater, given that I get accused of cheating roughly once or twice a month. So forgive me for not putting any faith in people who are quick to jump to accusations of cheating, while never having any evidence, and always seems to be the lower skilled players. Innocent until proven guilty - you can't just make the claim and expect people to believe it.

For the record - I am not saying hacks have never happened. Sure, they have on rare occasion. I've seen videos of it. But if it was as common as people claim it is, you would see all the seasoned experienced players jumping all over it. It is simply not as common as people say it is. You account might have been a hack, I cannot say as I wasn't there. But it also might not have been. I don't put weight on someone saying "everyone knew he was hacking" because that has literally been said about me.

He's not wrong. Latency exploits and data packet manipulation have been a thing pretty much since the start of on-line gaming.

As far as swtor is concerned, the usage of hacks and progs is generally an issue for the more popular pvp modes. Just the other day I saw a thread with screens of a team being attacked in their own spawn before the match started. And that was just recent. But even when I started years ago there was usually something, like I believe the quesh huttball map was notorious for one for ages.

GSF is far less popular and most accusers lack the knowledge and experience to be able to tell the difference. But for example, Lost shipyards TDM has at least 2 spots that I know of where a player can enter terrain (from very specific spots) and fire outward but are completely protected from attack from that terrain. But those are mainly known to lazy bomber pilots.

The real irritating ones are the folks that teleport - lag spikes are unavoidable so its not really as simple as seeing something and making a conclusion in seconds. However, when you see someone constantly teleporting around at speeds not normally possible (ie appear disappear reappear) in either a very controlled or completely random (the ones that tend to crash into terrain they pretty far from last appearance) it tends become blatant.

It was just two to three days ago or so I was fighting a seismic bomber that moved perfectly smooth (like normal flight) until getting near sat then would get extremely jerky teleporting slightly in opposing directions. I'm not talking boost tap and turn, because the bomber doesn't turn fast enough naturally to recreate the extreme angles he'd turn in an instant.

And even years ago, it was still a thing in gsf to occasionally see someone teleporting around. One of the few benefits of GSF being a less popular mode was it was largely ignored by the exploit users.

The flaws in the textures that let people shoot out but cannot be shot, are not hacking are they. You know that is not relevant here. That's at best an exploit of a programming error.

And Roland, you are not the uneducated here. You know as well as I do that hacks and cheats are not nearly as common as people claim them to be. You know full well that 9/10 accusations of hacks don't even need to be looked at, and the 1 out of 10 can usually be explained. We have arrived at a point where people think that every lagging ship is someone spamming Print Screen while flying. Yeah, you can tell when its deliberate, usually. YOU can. I can. Most of these guys? No, they can't tell. I've been lagging before to the point I am rubber banding and been accused of latency exploitation. People will do and say anything in this game to make themselves feel better about losing.

I will take any legit accusation of cheating seriously. But call me old fashioned for asking for video evidence, and not jumping on the band wagon. I guess I am just old fashioned that way.

The terrain exploit is an example of how cheating still exists years after it being "known" and is relevant in pointing out that yes it is possible to cheat in GSF as even old exploits rarely get fixed.

The thing is Luc, is you took a condescending tone towards a stranger as if you're the ultimate authority. A LOT of players that were very good have come and gone and plenty of them were ace level pilots. Also, given that there used to be many more servers, just because you don't recognize a name doesn't mean they're lesser pilots.

Rubberbanding is generally easy to spot as someone floats off in a straight line and can't really be targeted. But teleporting frequently at speeds and distances not normally possible tend to appear a lot different than someone with high latency or spiking.

But these days you can't really go by name recognition anyway - just because I assume every random ace level pilot I'm not familiar with is lightsaber jerk (because of his many many alts) doesn't mean I believe they are actually him/her.

It's rare for newer players to even bother posting in the GSF thread -- so while its always good to be skeptical you shouldn't be so quick to write off others either.

The terrain exploit is an example of how cheating still exists years after it being "known" and is relevant in pointing out that yes it is possible to cheat in GSF as even old exploits rarely get fixed.

The thing is Luc, is you took a condescending tone towards a stranger as if you're the ultimate authority. A LOT of players that were very good have come and gone and plenty of them were ace level pilots. Also, given that there used to be many more servers, just because you don't recognize a name doesn't mean they're lesser pilots.

Rubberbanding is generally easy to spot as someone floats off in a straight line and can't really be targeted. But teleporting frequently at speeds and distances not normally possible tend to appear a lot different than someone with high latency or spiking.

But these days you can't really go by name recognition anyway - just because I assume every random ace level pilot I'm not familiar with is lightsaber jerk (because of his many many alts) doesn't mean I believe they are actually him/her.

It's rare for newer players to even bother posting in the GSF thread -- so while its always good to be skeptical you shouldn't be so quick to write off others either.

My initial reply was not condescending. -"I'd need to see video evidence to believe it, or have it verified by someone I know for a certainty wouldn't mistake what they are seeing. Not impossible, but I have never come across an accusation of cheating that was not explained by lack of understanding / knowledge of the game." - I simply asked for evidence and verification. I've seen too many false accusations of cheating, and extremely few genuine ones (which you have too), that I don't take someone on face value. I make no apologies for that. The devs would do the same if asked to investigate an accusation of cheating. After that he got defensive because his claim was challenged. Then it went downhill, I won't argue there. But that isn't going to make me suddenly accept every claim of cheating just because someone I don't know is certain, and doesn't like their view being challenged. If I am supposed to just randomly accept all accusations of cheating, then I should just roll over next time someone accuses me of cheating, right? No difference here. Provide something tangible we can actually look at, or don't make the claim. We don't live in a world of guilty until proven innocent. I pity you if you have become that person.

The fact is cheating is extremely rare in GSF. The odds are in your favor that 9/10 accusations are incorrect. Do I become condescending when someone stubbornly sticks to a claim without providing any evidence whatsoever, thereby being completely indistinguishable from the dozens of false claims every week? Yeah, sorry, but I have no time for that. Its reasonable to ask for verification. I mean Neutrinos put up videos of someone multi-boxing years ago, and he of all people wouldn't need to provide video evidence to be believed - but he still did. The devs won't entertain you without something to work with, and neither will I.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

You missed the primary point - being skeptical is fine but assuming people frequently claim cheating has not been my experience over the years I've been active. It's generally one of those "loud" players suffering from the dunning-kruger effect . Thankfully they aren't too common (at least in my experience).

When I'm being chased by five people simultaneously and still managing 20+ kills I earnestly can't recall the last time someone accused me of cheating. That's not to say I haven't seen it, but that the players quick to think cheating aren't as common as your experience has been so far.

For example, I think since I came back I saw one newer pilot think there was a lot of cheating going on post in the GSF Forum. Typically if there are accusations they're in gen or ops chat (rarely gsf channel) - or tells depending on who you are. I know manakin gets a lot more than I do just because most are too lazy or simply don't know how to whisper folks with alt characters in name.

But again, its not about believing every accusation but realizing that it does happen and the words they use tend to indicate how credible it is or just a misunderstanding or lack of knowledge on their part.

And just to give you an example, I just learned one of the characters of an old guildie and for years never realized that was him. Some people have even gotten upset at me believing I know their characters when in reality I can have seen a character name regularly but have no idea who the player behind it is.

Edited by SeCKSEgai
first sentence unclear

When I'm being chased by five people simultaneously and still managing 20+ kills I earnestly can't recall the last time someone accused me of cheating. That's not to say I haven't seen it, but that the players quick to think cheating aren't as common as your experience has been so far.

I get accused of cheating once every couple of weeks at a minimum. Got a death threat once, even. It might not be common for you but I can verify that at least on Star Forge it happens pretty often during the times I play.

I agree that without video evidence it's reasonable to assume someone just doesn't understand what they're seeing, aside from the LS TDM asteroid thing. Those two would be minor if people would ignore bombers that wedge themselves in there, but they never do and you lose points to it.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

Given the higher pop it's definitely more common on SF - on SS there are usually vets who've seen my characters before or new players who realize they aren't familiar enough with GSF to know what's possible and what's not.

Truth be told aside from the map exploits its typically only the teleporting/excessively jerky movements that catch my attention since everything else is typically a matter of line of sight or abilities like strafing or distortion field.

You missed the primary point - being skeptical is fine but assuming people frequently claim cheating has not been my experience over the years I've been active. It's generally one of those "loud" players suffering from the dunning-kruger effect . Thankfully they aren't too common (at least in my experience).

For example, I think since I came back I saw one newer pilot think there was a lot of cheating going on post in the GSF Forum. Typically if there are accusations they're in gen or ops chat (rarely gsf channel) - or tells depending on who you are. I know manakin gets a lot more than I do just because most are too lazy or simply don't know how to whisper folks with alt characters in name.

But again, its not about believing every accusation but realizing that it does happen and the words they use tend to indicate how credible it is or just a misunderstanding or lack of knowledge on their part.

And just to give you an example, I just learned one of the characters of an old guildie and for years never realized that was him. Some people have even gotten upset at me believing I know their characters when in reality I can have seen a character name regularly but have no idea who the player behind it is.

Nope, didn't misunderstand anything :) I echo Sriia's comments. Claims of cheating either leveled against me personally, or accusations against others that I have witnessed, are so ridiculously common that its like the boy who cried wolf for me now. I immediately go into stop-being-a-nancy-and-try-to-learn-something mode - because it is absurdly tedious now. There are even active players around who are seasoned veterans (albeit not very good ones) that are still convinced certain very well known players are cheaters. I just have no time for it because it shouts of willful ignorance and reluctance to fully understand the game. I am more patient with absolute newbies, like the OP of this post, because Trixie Triss doesn't know any better, but hopefully will educate herself soon. Also, as I said I was like her once. When I was a newbie I thought Neutrinos was cheating because of the amount of damage he deals out. Hence why my comments to Trixie have been much more measured and calmer, trying to reason with her. But the claims of cheating that come from people who have been playing years? Please, give me a break. Show me a video or can it. I have no time for it. Or at least if you are someone like Drakolich, Yui, Invis etc, and you recount an occasion of someone cheating, then people will listen to you. But how often do you see those guys recounting occasions of cheating?

As for why you don't personally get accusations of cheating, I can only guess. Do you play Gunship much? Do you actively pick up DOs? I never encountered a player who makes a lot of DO powered one-shots who doesn't get accused of cheating on a semi-regular basis. Same goes for Piledriving. The speed at which it kills you when you have DO, is to the less observant masses, as fast as a one-shot. By far most of the accusations of cheating leveled against me, are of the "you deal out impossible damage" nature.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

The fact is cheating is extremely rare in GSF. The odds are in your favor that 9/10 accusations are incorrect. Do I become condescending when someone stubbornly sticks to a claim without providing any evidence whatsoever, thereby being completely indistinguishable from the dozens of false claims every week? Yeah, sorry, but I have no time for that. Its reasonable to ask for verification. I mean Neutrinos put up videos of someone multi-boxing years ago, and he of all people wouldn't need to provide video evidence to be believed - but he still did. The devs won't entertain you without something to work with, and neither will I.

You can’t post any proof here without being sanctioned by BioWare. So it’s pointless even if you have it because by the time you get back online, BioWare have most probably removed it and given out a warning to the poster.

That being said. There is a pvp report email now for reporting cheats and you can email them your evidence if you have any. pvpReports@swtor.com

And if anyone has proof and wants to share with rest of us, please feel free to post it on the swtor discord for Theory Crafters. Ground pvp hack videos are uploaded there so we can see and the dev, ChrisS is on the channel sometimes and can see them too.

I’ve not seen anything since I made that post to ask. So I’ve nothing to post at the moment. I also understand many hack reports are false positives because most people can’t tell an ability from a hack most of the time.

But there are things in the game that are impossible to do without hacking and even the biggest noobs can identify them. Ie, fly hacking in ground pvp is obviously not an ability you can mistake. Especially when the person fly hacks into your spawn point before a round starts. The same as someone instant capping in GSF as soon as the match starts. The mechanics don’t allow for it unless they are hacking.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You can’t post any proof here without being sanctioned by BioWare. So it’s pointless even if you have it because by the time you get back online, BioWare have most probably removed it and given out a warning to the poster.

You can still use the PM system on the forum, and you can post to say that you've sent a PM. You are also welcome to join the unofficial GSF Discord with us (see the link in my signature and in multiple places in this subforum) and post it there, though I understand that not everyone is willing to do that.

So no, that's not really an excuse.

Could post it to the Theorycrafters Discord too I guess but I've never seen any worthwhile GSF content there. Last time I checked, they don't even have a channel for it, do they?

The same as someone instant capping in GSF as soon as the match starts. The mechanics don’t allow for it unless they are hacking.

Gonna side with Luc here: without video evidence, I'm calling inexperience on this one. In over 10k games I've never seen this. Ever. Not even a single time. In fact, I can't say I've ever seen anything I would call cheating in the way that you are describing here. Maybe a couple of cases of intentional lag.

I have some fairly educated guesses as to why the tools used by cheaters in PVP wouldn't work well in GSF, but I don't want to speculate on that here because I don't want to enable them on the off chance that I'm right.

The instances where people get into geometry aren't that; you can follow anyone in there if you know the hole they're getting in through. It would be pretty nice if Bioware would patch those out, but the impact they have on a game is fairly low.

As an aside: Assuming it's more than just knowing to hit F3 and use spacebar, I think I know how this "got to the node really fast" thing is happening, and it should be a fairly simple thing to recreate. Speed thrusters T1S with booster recharge or S2E combined with tensor + speed upgrade T3S ought to do it. It would be good at only one thing and require two people, but boy would it get you to a node fast.

Would be willing to throw together a custom game to test if anyone wants to, or if a couple of you can manage to do that yourselves feel free to get that on video and share here.

You can’t post any proof here without being sanctioned by BioWare. So it’s pointless even if you have it because by the time you get back online, BioWare have most probably removed it and given out a warning to the poster..

Can you elaborate on this? So if I saw something suspicious, I uploaded the video to Youtube and then linked it here, the devs would take it down and take action against me? Genuine question, I didn't know this.

But there are things in the game that are impossible to do without hacking and even the biggest noobs can identify them. Ie, fly hacking in ground pvp is obviously not an ability you can mistake. Especially when the person fly hacks into your spawn point before a round starts. The same as someone instant capping in GSF as soon as the match starts. The mechanics don’t allow for it unless they are hacking.

I am glad you are taking an open minded approach to this, but I'm still very skeptical that someone was insta-capping like you suggest. Can you do me a favor please and take a look at the component options for a Tier 3 Scout (Spearpoint / Bloodmark). Let me run you through something. Take a look at the advanced tool-tips for the following. (If you don't have advanced tooltips active, go to Prefs>Starfighter>Tooltips and tick that box).

Tensor field for Systems, with the tier 5 upgrade for +15% extra speed, 30% speed boost overall.

Interdiction Drive for Engines, with the tier 2 upgrade for +10% extra speed, 60% speed boost overall.

You now have a Scout, that is 90% faster than standard, for 6 seconds, and 30% faster for a remaining 14 seconds, if you use Tensor and Interdiction Drive at the same time. Its not so common to use to interdiction Drive here, because you sacrifice a missile break, but I do know someone (Grav, feel free to wade in here if you are reading this) that used this exact build to effectively cap a node before anyone else was anywhere near close to it.

Also please consider that I am 90% certain you are not as fast out of the gate as you may think you are. I don't mean to be rude here, its just that the odds are in my favor to believe this. Most noobs, even those keen to learn (me included) take a while before they realize they are not insta-spawning and boosting as quick as possible. This means your frame of reference is skewed. You're thinking they got to the node so much quicker than you, but you're not factoring in whether you were actually as quick as can be.

Now, tell me, did you realize its possible to build a ship with a 90% speed boost? And factoring in your potential to be a bit slow out of the gate, how do you feel now about the possibility that someone was capping a node before you thought it was possible to do so?

Edited by Ttoilleekul

I have some fairly educated guesses as to why the tools used by cheaters in PVP wouldn't work well in GSF, but I don't want to speculate on that here because I don't want to enable them on the off chance that I'm right.

I'll say it :D Or at least part of it. GSF is the only content in Swtor that requires aim. And a lot of pilots couldn't aim even if they had an aim bot. This is what sets GSF apart from anything else. It's amazing how many accomplished ground pvpers come into GSF and suck once they need to add aiming into the management of a complex range of abilities. Ground PVP has an equally complex range of abilities to understand and execute at the right time. Like recognizing all the different reflection ability animations from the all the different classes, seeing it quick enough, and not feeding it. For sure, its complexity is equal to that of GSF. But add in that aim factor, and most ground PVPers fall apart.

And this is why hacks don't make someone good at GSF.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

You are also welcome to join the unofficial GSF Discord with us (see the link in my signature and in multiple places in this subforum) and post it there, though I understand that not everyone is willing to do that.

^^this, that's a great place to find out if something is truly a cheat

Tensor field for Systems, with the tier 5 upgrade for +15% extra speed, 30% speed boost overall.

Interdiction Drive for Engines, with the tier 2 upgrade for +10% extra speed, 60% speed boost overall.

You now have a Scout, that is 90% faster than standard, for 6 seconds, and 30% faster for a remaining 14 seconds, if you use Tensor and Interdiction Drive at the same time.(Grav, feel free to wade in here if you are reading this)

I seem to have been summoned(BTW, the extended duration T3 on interdiction drive would make it 9 seconds at 90% and 11 at 30%). In case anyone is wondering how fast a 190% speed scout is, well let this video explain it for you.

If it was significantly faster than that, maybe it was hacking. If so, please go send the proof to the discord server, they'll be happy to help you out/ show why it's not cheating.

Can you elaborate on this? So if I saw something suspicious, I uploaded the video to Youtube and then linked it here, the devs would take it down and take action against me? Genuine question, I didn't know this.

I’ll answer this part for you.

Yes, if you record someone blatantly cheating and up load to YouTube and link it, BioWare will first remove your post and then give YOU a warning for posting it.

Why? They say you broke the TOS rules by naming and shaming. And even if you can somehow block the names they will take it down and give you a warning because they say you are promoting hacks. Sometimes they even lock you out of forum posting for 3 months

How do I know this? Because I’ve been on the receiving end of the warning. All the while the (ground pvp) hacker got away with it for months and then on got a slap on the wrist.

Back when ground pvp hacks happened more and we didn’t have discord, the hackers would try and discredit reporters on the forums and bait them to post proof so they’d get you banned. Now we have discord, those tactics don’t work so well and we mostly know who the hackers are.

On a side note. I’ve not seen this instant capping issue again that I reported. I’m 99.9% sure of what I saw, but I wasn’t recording and have nothing to post in discord. I’m now recording some matches when I think of it. But like most things in this game, it’s usually only one or two bad apples that cheat and running into them is rare or random.

^^this, that's a great place to find out if something is truly a cheat

I seem to have been summoned(BTW, the extended duration T3 on interdiction drive would make it 9 seconds at 90% and 11 at 30%). In case anyone is wondering how fast a 190% speed scout is, well let this video explain it for you.

If it was significantly faster than that, maybe it was hacking. If so, please go send the proof to the discord server, they'll be happy to help you out/ show why it's not cheating.

Yes it was much faster than 9 seconds. As I stated, it was 2 seconds. And no I don’t have anything to upload at the moment because I wasn’t recording.

Yes, if you record someone blatantly cheating and up load to YouTube and link it, BioWare will first remove your post and then give YOU a warning for posting it.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to post a link if you're framing it as a question. "Can someone tell me what is happening here?"

Of course, I say this because I'm 99% certain that what you're describing simply didn't happen the way you think it did. That said, see my posts. You can still DM or post them to the community Discord server.

Yes it was much faster than 9 seconds. As I stated, it was 2 seconds. And no I don’t have anything to upload at the moment because I wasn’t recording.

You misread. It was 9 seconds at that speed. Not 9 seconds to get to the node.

Well looking at the linked video of the Tensor-Interdiction Drive combo, it takes about 8-9 seconds to get from the spawn point to a point just past the middle of the map, so that's probably the minimum time for a game start transit time. Unless there's a railgun that has "fires a hyperspace beacon" as the tier 5 upgrade hidden in some April Fools easter egg somewhere.

So Triss, if it really was 2 seconds, then yes a speed hack is probable. The engine for GSF is still basically the SWTOR engine under the hood, so in principle a hack that works in WZ or arenas should probably do something in GSF, though it might act weirdly, and is a good recipe for splattering into an asteroid due to uncontrollable movement.

Don't feel that we're all ganging up on you Triss. I recognize you as a long time player, poster to forums, and generally the sort of classy, polite, well informed community member that's nice to have around.

It's just that seeing a speed hack in GSF is a very extraordinary claim. In playing and hanging out in the forums since the early release of GSF, I've heard rumors of a plausible speedhack in GSF only once before this.

Think of it like explaining a 4.5 meter long shark to fishermen that have only ever fished on a freshwater temperate zone lake. Ok, so pike and muskies can get big, but bigger than your kayak? Really? We sorta want to see it before we believe it, even if it is real.

Edited by Ramalina

I did some testing! In real match conditions because I thought it important to illustrate what your average player looks like in an average game:

https://i.imgur.com/jvM4fI5.png

This is the minimap at the moment the enemy team first came into view. You will note that they are nowhere near the satellite yet. My team largely isn't either, and they even had the benefit of tensor. I'm in yellow along with my tensor buddy. Everyone else is red and green as appropriate. (let me know if you have issues with red/green and i'll happily recolor)

As you can quite clearly see, to them, it probably looks like we did something impossible. The difference between this build and tensor alone is only a second or two.

Here's the video, if you want to watch how it was done:

The relevant part was only the first minute or so, but I recorded the rest of the game because why not? No sound because I was too lazy to set it up.

Why? They say you broke the TOS rules by naming and shaming. And even if you can somehow block the names they will take it down and give you a warning because they say you are promoting hacks. Sometimes they even lock you out of forum posting for 3 months

How do I know this? Because I’ve been on the receiving end of the warning. All the while the (ground pvp) hacker got away with it for months and then on got a slap on the wrist.

Back when ground pvp hacks happened more and we didn’t have discord, the hackers would try and discredit reporters on the forums and bait them to post proof so they’d get you banned. Now we have discord, those tactics don’t work so well and we mostly know who the hackers are.

On a side note. I’ve not seen this instant capping issue again that I reported. I’m 99.9% sure of what I saw, but I wasn’t recording and have nothing to post in discord. I’m now recording some matches when I think of it. But like most things in this game, it’s usually only one or two bad apples that cheat and running into them is rare or random.

Interesting, because I have recorded several self destructors throwing games, and sent the videos directly to the Devs using the customer service tab, and had no action against me. I don't doubt your word on this. But they didn't sanction me. Perhaps they changed their approach?

9 seconds of boost time at 190% speed.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

I did some testing! In real match conditions because I thought it important to illustrate what your average player looks like in an average game:

https://i.imgur.com/jvM4fI5.png

This is the minimap at the moment the enemy team first came into view. You will note that they are nowhere near the satellite yet. My team largely isn't either, and they even had the benefit of tensor. I'm in yellow along with my tensor buddy. Everyone else is red and green as appropriate. (let me know if you have issues with red/green and i'll happily recolor)

As you can quite clearly see, to them, it probably looks like we did something impossible. The difference between this build and tensor alone is only a second or two.

Here's the video, if you want to watch how it was done:

The relevant part was only the first minute or so, but I recorded the rest of the game because why not? No sound because I was too lazy to set it up.

I would be very willing to bet, to the uneducated average player, they were on the other side thinking, how did those guys cap B so fast! The problem with Trixie's claim is the "2 seconds after the game started part." This video shows how fast you can cap a node, but it also shows you can't do it in 2 seconds. So all that remains here is whether Trixie's perception of 2 seconds was genuinely accurate. I bet if you ask any of those players on the other side how fast they spawned, they would have you believe they were quick out of the gate. But the map shows where they were. It shows they were slow out of the gate. This is why there will always be doubt over Trixie's claim, and why she only saw it once and not since. I strongly suspect such lengthy detailed discussions have opened her eyes to how quick she is spawning and her frame of reference has changed. It's also astronomically unlikely that a newbie sees something that several vets have never seen in over 40k games combined.

At any rate, there is no point going round and round with this. I have made my stance clear, and Trixie knows we are here to help her. IF she sees something again, hopefully she will have remembered to hit the record button.