You do not have luxury that Blizzard does Eric.

AkidaBushido

FlatTax has a point, our subs are going down in value next to the paying cartel coin skipper.

Previously, our one month sub used to mean something, it meant we could have a companion subscriber preorder bonus in the mail just for subbing for one month at the right date. Now it's devalued to the point, we need to maintain a sub for (up to) 5 months for one companion reward.

This started with HK 55, and I was dead set against them changing the conditions for getting him. However, if you read through some of those threads, you'll find people there that were all for it that are now complaining about something being removed.

your old 1 month sub is now worth 5 months galactic season subscription. the sub time is devalued. one month is worth much less

Nope. in spite of the above, I'm still getting the same things now that I got from the beginning. I just don't pay much mind to promotional sub rewards any more, because I know, at some point, they'll be available some other way. I know this due to past experience. Everything else about my sub remains unaffected by how someone else gets HK 55, to use my example.

On top of the devalued subscription, they are NOW targeting the skippers who would pay extra for some peace of mind. Imagine losing out on 5 months of rewards, but you don't want to grind out 5 months of daily and weekly objectives, I can skip ahead. up to 10,000 cartel coins for the peace of mind that you wont miss a single "monetized game system" reward. It's more egregious when you look passed the current flavor called galactic season and their dreaded Priority Objectives.

None of this adversely affects the value of my sub. A non-subbing player that pays to skip won't get any of the bonuses from the sub part of the reward chain. Any subs that skip ahead? How am I adversely affected by someone unlocking a SH on Fleet?

scheduling rewards is a phrase not used before

The login rewards say "hello".

our previous instant subscriber rewards are being scheduled on a slow drip

Galactic Seasons is just one "monetized game system," and 2 months ago, It didn't exist. it was just recently conjured up. Expect future monetized game system schemes and slow drip scheduled reward systems.

6.0 gearing is a slow drip system, and its the worst gearing system this game has had by far. I only started playing September 2012. I didn't experience the original fifty million different commendations to unlock gear system. but for me, 6.0 takes the cake as one of thee worst.

I posted a video in another of these conversations, showing the contents of my Legacy storage. I've since had to start breaking gear that I'm not going to use down to make room for stuff I want. The majority from Conquest, but some is also from Renown. With the addendum that you can actually buy most of the armor sets from vendors on the fleet.

Instead of increasing subscriber numbers, Bioware is focused on targeting increasing monetization of the whales/skippers, people who have already spent and maybe even willing to spend more if the new "monetized game system" compels them to even more than before.

Some free to play players, simply will not spend. They can't. Unable to.

I have

Shae Vizla

Master Ranos

Darth Hexid

Niko Okarr

Paxton Rall

all rightfully unlocked by meeting the subscription deadline during the original promotional period. I feel like my sub is devalued with galactic seasons.

When people cried for a way to earn old timed subscription unlock rewards, I don't think galactic seasons is what they had in mind.

When people cried for a way to earn old timed subscription unlock rewards, I don't think galactic seasons is what they had in mind.

The problem is, nothing on offer so far has motivated me to grab my wallet and spend. Even if I wasn't spending any "extra" cash on my bike and apparel for it, I wouldn't be motivated. The shop has nothing I want, or don't already have. So any value from my sub is already derived, and will continue to be, as/if I roll any more alts. I get close to 50 letters on a new toon. If my sub was being devalued, that number would surely start going down, yes?

You see, I don't see what Player Y is getting as taking anything away from me, barring the HK 55 fiasco, and then it was just a "violation" of my trust in promotions. The simple solution is, of course, that a promotion won't be the only reason I leave my sub running, so I continue to do what I've always done, sub when I'm planning on playing anything like regularly, and allowing it to lapse when I'm not, regardless of what's going on. Nothing in my sub rewards package is being taken away, even if they give it to someone else. It's not like they took it from me to give it to them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The strawman here is not my own.

What item is it that allows me to "pay not to wait" to equip artifact grade equipment? You have claimed that gearing is monetized beyond our sub, so it should be simple to provide the item/items I need to buy, right?

There is obviously an unlock for F2P/Preferred players, but what unlock does a sub have to buy to equip artifact grade equipment?

What item do I have to buy, as a sub, to unlock my comp's full potential, in so far as the max number of items they can craft when I send them out? Note: This is not affected by comp influence, so an item that caps influence has no effect on the number of items they can craft at one time.

As I mentioned earlier, the "grind" for XP boosts is atrocious. How dare they make me have to finish class story missions to get XP boosts for free??? The horror that is that grind, right? But I'm the one arguing from a strawman?

Again with the straw man. Your questions are diversions, and don't deal with the facts presented. The fact subscribers don't have artifact equipment gated says absolutely nothing about the state of monetization elsewhere in the system.

Sabotaged mechanics, gated by frustration-tuned grinds or cash, absolutely constitutes monetization, and our core systems are festooned with this.

Just one example: Companions:

After purchasing a L50 comp, you've accrued a combat advantage that fights harder, heals better, and crafts more effectively, which you didn't have prior to paying additional cash on top of your sub. As an expensive transaction, it also allows you to bypass other sabotaged/monetized mechanics, like slowed gift-giving.

The existence of secondary grinds for these things doesn't erase the fact core systems were sabotaged to incentivize advantage-producing cash transactions beyond our subscriptions.

On what planet does pay-not-to-wait not constitute monetization? Korriban?

Edited by FlatTax

The Universe (or BW) does not owe you an SWTOR game. They are in it for the money. If you don't like that, or think there's "too much monetization", quit and go play something else.

Agreed. SWTOR is in a gray zone, where perhaps education and advocacy can save us from the game's decline. For now, I'd rather advocate for positive change than walk away.

As you can see, we have members of the community actively obscuring the facts on the ground, which makes it difficult to have meaningful conversations about why the game is producing increasing levels of dissatisfaction.

At the end of the day, our subscriptions are being devalued by post-subscription monetization of core mechanics.

We should be talking about it. We should all expect, and advocate for, subscriptions that live up to their 'PREMIUM' billing.

Edited by FlatTax

Just one example: Companions:

After purchasing a L50 comp, you've accrued a combat advantage that fights harder, heals better, and crafts more effectively, which you didn't have prior to paying additional cash on top of your sub. As an expensive transaction, it also allows you to bypass other sabotaged/monetized mechanics, like slowed gift-giving.

I'm a bit confused here, where can I buy a level 50 companion for money?

I'm a bit confused here, where can I buy a level 50 companion for money?

People are usually just buying the levels, via the Commander's Compendium, available in the cash shop. Companions themselves are also for sale.

Edited by FlatTax

Again with the straw man. Your questions are diversions, and don't deal with the facts presented. ?

They deal with things that you have claimed are monetized beyond our subs. It's fairly obvious, to me, that you can't support these claims, so now it's deflection time, right? As I said, I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just countering your misinformation.

People are usually just buying the levels, via the Commander's Compendium, available in the cash shop. Companions themselves are also for sale.

I don't see how you relate this to "devaluing" our subscriptions? If you already play the game, you already have companions. If you craft three Dark Projects you can buy a Commander's Compendium for 4,250,000 credits at the Conquest vendor.

Isnt this whole discussion purely falling...or depending on choice?

If players cant control how fast they want to obtain things.....then of course purchases above the sub are going to happen. If players.....like Robert for example...are not content locusts then its his choice to not spend any more money past the sub.

Im not really following how theres money on top of the sub unless its being chosen to do so.

Isnt this whole discussion purely falling...or depending on choice?

If players cant control how fast they want to obtain things.....then of course purchases above the sub are going to happen. If players.....like Robert for example...are not content locusts then its his choice to not spend any more money past the sub.

Im not really following how theres money on top of the sub unless its being chosen to do so.

Okay lets put this a different way. Why is there a way to purchase with cc to begin with? There is no reason for it.

BIO Decided to have DAILY/WEEKLY Conquest style rewards for this.

BIO Decided to not include an other way to acquire points through game play without Time Gating

BIO Allows CC + Credits to be used...due to BIO choice to time gate.

They didn't add this in any way shape or form for players benefit.

If this event was done right, there would be story unlocking throughout the event, the stronghold would not be 8 coins but an unlock for completing it, and there would be no Time Gating, just rewards for completing objectives or if time gates were needed to drag this out then make certain story levels say 20,40,60,80 100 unlock one a month so you can only get to level 20 one month etc.

The fact they have hardly posted in a month should be clear enough to all. June is a couple days away...anyone know what the events are??? NO? How about when the companion unlocks are getting fixed?? No??

But hey they made sure to post about the credit sinks.

Eric is just a pawn on the board. he have higer ups as well.

But at some point the game is indeed in a struggle state, the Hero Engine alpha state is reached its limit, reguardless how many patchey they releasing something elese got bugged. the grafic motor also needs a huge overhaul, that inclueds character creations as well. the whole game in engine vise including grafic motor needs a complete replacement. the game still runs on a DX9 32 bit version. Desync issues durring ops bosses mechanical vise, pvp desync and teh list goes on. The motors reached its limits, The company needs to ask EA to give them more resource instead of syphoning out of it and put it into dead projects (like we saw with Anthem). it is not just the developers and the producers responsibilities but also the publishers as well. the game needs at least a BDO type of grafical and engine look a like overhaul.(ofc in SW enviroment) with constant work in progress conetnts, becasue the level sync system wont make a 7 years old ops revelant to the todays efforts. Also about this sync sheet show, whoe ver came upw ith teh idea to sync down teh players instead of sync them up to the same level as the ops i would fire that person ASAP. it is no logic behind of it at all. let the players be the same level as the operation ARE. becasue prewious operations wont going to become revelant if you sync down the players and upscale the operations. F logic.

I changed my mind, i hope whne the IP licens is out from EAs hand i hope this game getting shot down for good, becasue at this state it is nothing more then a hot mess. and we cant just blame the devs for that becasue it is also the CEOs fault and the publisher fault as well. and lets not even mention teh share holders as well. oh and btw with less then 15 member of the dev team at the SWTOR what do you all suspect is going to happen? let me answer for this question: THE INEVITABLE.

As you can see, we have members of the community actively obscuring the facts on the ground,

Nobody can obscure anything here; everything is available for everyone to know. Disagreeing with you is not the same as obscuring something.

* No body is being forced to do or not do anything.

* There is no need to spend credits or CC, unless one wants to.

* No body "deserves" anything just because they exist.

* You want something, you have to put in some effort to get it; everywhere in life.

BW did a decent job here. (I'm not a White Knight; I have often been unequivocally critical of BW when I have seen fit.)

- No story content

- Completely optional

- All rewards are cosmetic

- Variety of activities

- Can finish season while getting only 55% of the max points available

- Can finish season while doing only logins and daily activities (no weeklies at all) with a 25% buffer

- Free re-rolls for daily and weekly activities

- Free cartel coins for doing content (starting as early as level 3) for a total of 4,000 CC per legacy, 20,000 per account

- Optionally buy progress with cartel coins

- Optionally buy progress with credits (which amounts to buying cartel coins with credits)

I see the complaining and this is what it reads like to me⁰:

High School student: I don't like Math or Science; I prefer Hospitality, Band, Fashion, and Poetry¹. I'm not doing college, who has time to spend 4 years in an institution?² But, I deserve the cars, house, income, and lifestyle of an Interventional Cardiologist³. Because, reasons.

(0) Only mildly hyperbolic

(1) This is like saying I won't do PvP or FPs, or Ops, or GSF, or ... I will only do <something> <something>.

(2) This is like saying I don't have time to even log in 4 times a week; I will log in 2 times and play 2 hours per week at most. Or something similar.

(3) This is like saying I deserve the GS rewards.

Edited by mike_carton

Eric is just a pawn on the board. he have higer ups as well.

But at some point the game is indeed in a struggle state, the Hero Engine alpha state is reached its limit, reguardless how many patchey they releasing something elese got bugged. the grafic motor also needs a huge overhaul, that inclueds character creations as well. the whole game in engine vise including grafic motor needs a complete replacement. the game still runs on a DX9 32 bit version. Desync issues durring ops bosses mechanical vise, pvp desync and teh list goes on. The motors reached its limits, The company needs to ask EA to give them more resource instead of syphoning out of it and put it into dead projects (like we saw with Anthem). it is not just the developers and the producers responsibilities but also the publishers as well. the game needs at least a BDO type of grafical and engine look a like overhaul.(ofc in SW enviroment) with constant work in progress conetnts, becasue the level sync system wont make a 7 years old ops revelant to the todays efforts. Also about this sync sheet show, whoe ver came upw ith teh idea to sync down teh players instead of sync them up to the same level as the ops i would fire that person ASAP. it is no logic behind of it at all. let the players be the same level as the operation ARE. becasue prewious operations wont going to become revelant if you sync down the players and upscale the operations. F logic.

I changed my mind, i hope whne the IP licens is out from EAs hand i hope this game getting shot down for good, becasue at this state it is nothing more then a hot mess. and we cant just blame the devs for that becasue it is also the CEOs fault and the publisher fault as well. and lets not even mention teh share holders as well. oh and btw with less then 15 member of the dev team at the SWTOR what do you all suspect is going to happen? let me answer for this question: THE INEVITABLE.

A huge rant with no relevance to the thread.

Nobody can obscure anything here; everything is available for everyone to know. Disagreeing with you is not the same as obscuring something.

* No body is being forced to do or not do anything.

* There is no need to spend credits or CC, unless one wants to.

* No body "deserves" anything just because they exist.

* You want something, you have to put in some effort to get it; everywhere in life.

BW did a decent job here. (I'm not a White Knight; I have often been unequivocally critical of BW when I have seen fit.)

- No story content

- Completely optional

- All rewards are cosmetic

- Variety of activities

- Can finish season while getting only 55% of the max points available

- Can finish season while doing only logins and daily activities (no weeklies at all) with a 25% buffer

- Free re-rolls for daily and weekly activities

- Free cartel coins for doing content (starting as early as level 3) for a total of 4,000 CC per legacy, 20,000 per account

- Optionally buy progress with cartel coins

- Optionally buy progress with credits (which amounts to buying cartel coins with credits)

I see the complaining and this is what it reads like to me⁰:

High School student: I don't like Math or Science; I prefer Hospitality, Band, Fashion, and Poetry¹. I'm not doing college, who has time to spend 4 years in an institution?² But, I deserve the cars, house, income, and lifestyle of an Interventional Cardiologist³. Because, reasons.

(0) Only mildly hyperbolic

(1) This is like saying I won't do PvP or FPs, or Ops, or GSF, or ... I will only do <something> <something>.

(2) This is like saying I don't have time to even log in 4 times a week; I will log in 2 times and play 2 hours per week at most. Or something similar.

(3) This is like saying I deserve the GS rewards.

This is the direction i keep going the more i read.

The only only thing that im interpreting from the complainers is the fact of not being able to obtain items as quickly as they would like to....so naturally the system is annoying to them. They are not in agreement in said system....so what better way to attempt to counter that is to post here stating that the practice needs to stop. The people who are just playing the game and patient arent worried about it......yet they are accused of being indifferent.

Again, i asked the question.....its all about choice, right? If you choose to be impatient, and the system is enabling you to get said items quickly rather than through natural process....then of course youll be disturbed about it. You see yourself needing to spend money to get it quicker. Its fomo syndrome pretty much. Its the way all games are headed now.....have been headed is more accurate.

Now comes choice....do you spend the money to get the items now....or do you play the game and get if free later. The carrot stick is the oldest trick in the book now and to this day.....still works.

Im sorry, but thats how this thread reads to me.

Edited by HiltoftheDragon

A huge rant with no relevance to the thread.

This is the direction i keep going the more i read.

The only only thing that im interpreting from the complainers is the fact of not being able to obtain items as quickly as they would like to....so naturally the system is annoying to them. They are not in agreement in said system....so what better way to attempt to counter that is to post here stating that the practice needs to stop. The people who are just playing the game and patient arent worried about it......yet they are accused of being indifferent.

Again, i asked the question.....its all about choice, right? If you choose to be impatient, and the system is enabling you to get said items quickly rather than through natural process....then of course youll be disturbed about it. You see yourself needing to spend money to get it quicker. Its fomo syndrome pretty much. Its the way all games are headed now.....have been headed is more accurate.

Now comes choice....do you spend the money to get the items now....or do you play the game and get if free later. The carrot stick is the oldest trick in the book now and to this day.....still works.

Im sorry, but thats how this thread reads to me.

Indifferent is more or less a correct assessment of my feelings about it. So far, the vendors haven't had anything that interests me at all, or isn't something that I already have. I haven't been in PvP or GSF because of rewards from the system, and while it looks like I'm on track to actually finish the season before it ends, I'm not all that fussed about that either, because I'm not interested in the SHs. I've had the max benefit from SHs for years now, adding more doesn't do anything for me. I bought the Rishi SH, and have done very little with it, because it gives me an easy way to get to Rishi, if I need to, for free. I can exit any SH to fleet, so I don't need a SH on the Fleets.

The CC has been the most interesting thing in the reward track, by far, and I've already put them to use on Legacy Perks, specifically HK 51, which, despite what was claimed earlier has had a credit or CC method to unlock since it's introduction, along with a free method, if you own Section X, so even preferred players can get HK for free, if they are preferred because they bought Sec X. I've missed an entire day a couple of times, but am firmly in level 26, with no weeklies done, at all. I'm so worried about the unlocks that I noticed this morning that I hadn't even claimed the one I unlocked the other day.

Your critical when something doesn't fit your play style, otherwise you defend and twist things to "white knight"

You go on about how people can complete only half of the required things to finish...ignoring you would need to play 5-6 days a week for 5 months. Maybe your play style and life thinks that's normal, but many would disagree.

That people can get free 4000 coins , again ignoring that you only get that for subbing for 5 months. So you get an extra 800 cc a month...for $75.00 of subbing...yippy..more crap people don't need. To sell to people with too much credits...Im sure for people who pay their $ regardless if new content is out or not its a nice bonus for them. $75.00 buys more cc than the sub will cost for the 5 months lol.

Oh people can buy with credits? WHO? cap is 1 mil for anyone not subbed...that wont get 5 levels. and 6 billion...you might have that...most dont.

Whatever continue telling us how wrong we all are and that BIO is amazing and handing everything well. Im sure many will believe you.

Indifferent is more or less a correct assessment of my feelings about it. So far, the vendors haven't had anything that interests me at all, or isn't something that I already have. I haven't been in PvP or GSF because of rewards from the system, and while it looks like I'm on track to actually finish the season before it ends, I'm not all that fussed about that either, because I'm not interested in the SHs. I've had the max benefit from SHs for years now, adding more doesn't do anything for me. I bought the Rishi SH, and have done very little with it, because it gives me an easy way to get to Rishi, if I need to, for free. I can exit any SH to fleet, so I don't need a SH on the Fleets.

The CC has been the most interesting thing in the reward track, by far, and I've already put them to use on Legacy Perks, specifically HK 51, which, despite what was claimed earlier has had a credit or CC method to unlock since it's introduction, along with a free method, if you own Section X, so even preferred players can get HK for free, if they are preferred because they bought Sec X. I've missed an entire day a couple of times, but am firmly in level 26, with no weeklies done, at all. I'm so worried about the unlocks that I noticed this morning that I hadn't even claimed the one I unlocked the other day.

I fully agree with you Rob.

Honestly, i think i can safely state that your play style and mine are very similar. It must be the reason im swaying more to your side of this discussion rather than the competitors side. I can see it from both sides in a way.....i mean there are many justifiable reasons to be slightly annoyed with this system, but i also see it as the ever growing trend that video game companies are pushing. Theres nothing that will stop that trend......no matter how much one tries to "stand up" to them.

Ill never be in any rush for any items in this game. Ive been a part of this community back when the Bioware forums had the blue interface...been in this game since day one....ive been in my hurried rushes during my many visits here in the past 10 years....lost a bit of sanity doing it that way....no more of that. I see no need to rush and pay additional monies beyond the sub when i know ill get them eventually if i continue to play.

Again, thats my choice to do that. :)

Wow, well first off...

What are people reading when they suggest "we should consider listening to what the OP is expressing"? All I read was some entitled guy rich enough to pay $15/month complaining in broken English how much he disapproved of Galactic Seasons and threatening to leave if they didn't stop trying to make profits of all things, not a lot to mull over in bed at night, TBH.

And second off...I don't care how much people believe game companies should "care" about their consumers over their bottom line, their #1 objective is making money, that's it; without money this game is not going to run. Pleasing every disgruntled consumer who continues paying money to EA (apparently against their own self-interest) is waaay at the bottom of the list, if it's on the list at all, because in reality it's a herculean task that they'll go bankrupt trying to accomplish.

I believe they're coming out with what they can based on the metrics they have on what's going to keep the game going while still hanging on to a player base, and that's all we can hope for. If they're really idiots running the game into the ground with so much as a new rewards system, they'll pay for it when the game crashes, and whoever comes out with a new SW MMO will see where things went downhill and try like crazy not to replicate those mistakes.

For now, I'd rather have a game where some of the features make me happy and are worth paying for, than berate the makers into running their team, servers, and creditors into the ground within the year, by wasting time running around trying to acquiesce to every angry gamer's ideas of what's best for their game when they see the PTS

Edited by MagicTerror

When you only focus on making money...

One day a man opens a balloon shop.

For a time the shop is bursting with people every day.

But over time shop owner gets greedy and realizes if he puts a little less helium in the balloon it wont last as long.

He doesn't notice a large change in his customers so he starts using cheaper strings and offers to sell PREMIUM color strings for a large cost

He notices he has less customers but over all the customers he has are buying more balloon, and expensive colorful strings so it works out.

Over time less and less people come to the store and eventually he even notices customers that were there since he opened were no longer coming to buy.

One day he sees and stops one of these customers and asks why they never come to the store any more. They tell him that his prices had gotten to high and the quality had gone down.

The shop owner takes insult and gets upset and tells them they are wrong, the quality is still good enough the balloons can be played with and are still fun.

The customer tells the shop owner that many had tried to express concern but that concern had been dismissed.

The shop owner gets even angrier and tells them, people are ungrateful and they have no right to demand anything. He tells the customer to leave, they wont get another balloon as good anywhere else.

The customer mocks, but I already do. A store across the street sells them at 50% of your cost and they last longer. They don't have the bright colorful expensive strings, but its the enjoyment thats important.

The shop owner storms off and confronts the competition demanding to know how he can sell so cheap and still make money. The other shop says they don't make as much per balloon but they sell many more than they would at higher prices.

Well the shop owner greedily buys the competition up, and starts selling the their balloons also...now at a higher price. With no competition the shop owner thinks he will sell even more than before.

Over time both shops close because no one shops at either.

When you only focus on making money...

One day a man opens a balloon shop.

For a time the shop is bursting with people every day.

But over time shop owner gets greedy and realizes if he puts a little less helium in the balloon it wont last as long.

He doesn't notice a large change in his customers so he starts using cheaper strings and offers to sell PREMIUM color strings for a large cost

He notices he has less customers but over all the customers he has are buying more balloon, and expensive colorful strings so it works out.

Over time less and less people come to the store and eventually he even notices customers that were there since he opened were no longer coming to buy.

One day he sees and stops one of these customers and asks why they never come to the store any more. They tell him that his prices had gotten to high and the quality had gone down.

The shop owner takes insult and gets upset and tells them they are wrong, the quality is still good enough the balloons can be played with and are still fun.

The customer tells the shop owner that many had tried to express concern but that concern had been dismissed.

The shop owner gets even angrier and tells them, people are ungrateful and they have no right to demand anything. He tells the customer to leave, they wont get another balloon as good anywhere else.

The customer mocks, but I already do. A store across the street sells them at 50% of your cost and they last longer. They don't have the bright colorful expensive strings, but its the enjoyment thats important.

The shop owner storms off and confronts the competition demanding to know how he can sell so cheap and still make money. The other shop says they don't make as much per balloon but they sell many more than they would at higher prices.

Well the shop owner greedily buys the competition up, and starts selling the their balloons also...now at a higher price. With no competition the shop owner thinks he will sell even more than before.

Over time both shops close because no one shops at either.

Pretty good analogy of this game’s development and the responses we get back from Bioware regarding our feedback.

Thankfully EA are not so big as to buy out “all” the other good game developers. So we still have some, if sometimes limited options (or none when it comes to SW).

Sadly the other big gaming companies see how much money EA makes from running on the fumes of smelly rag and have started to follow suit.

Lots (and I mean lots) of Blizzards talent has left since Activision blizzard became combined because of similar practices. The problem in most business is the company’s board and management only care about profits and their own bonuses they get for hitting “x” target or “y” percentage for the share holders. The shareholders don’t care about the product or even the employees as long as they get their dividend or can sell the Shares for more than they paid for them. That’s the underlying issue with pure capitalism.

Edited by TrixxieTriss