Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Female Operative Concern

timeflies

Let me start by saying that my character is a FEMALE Operative.

Yet in the "loading" screen Chapter summaries, I am constantly referred to by the pronoun "his."

Also, in quest dialogs, NPCs consistently call me "Sir."

Is this intended? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

---------------

On a separate note, has anyone noticed how weak Dr. Lokin is in Rakghoul form?

Let me start by saying that my character is a FEMALE Operative.

Yet in the "loading" screen Chapter summaries, I am constantly referred to by the pronoun "his."

Also, in quest dialogs, NPCs consistently call me "Sir."

Is this intended? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

---------------

On a separate note, has anyone noticed how weak Dr. Lokin is in Rakghoul form?

The "sir" part is intentional.

The "his" part I'm not sure about, but I would assume not.

Edited by Phated

Every modern military force uses gender specific honorifics as far as I am aware. Including the British Royal Navy (which I think is the closest we can assume the Empire is in general).

The SIR is either a mistake or something Bioware has picked up from Science Fiction movies...

I don't know enough about the EU to know if female officers were referred to this way in any other book / material.

This has NOTHING to do with the game, but I sometimes coach and officiate different youth and college sports, and I find it interesting that girls and women will use the male pronoun all the time while competing. For example, I will oftentimes hear one player say to a teammate "You got a man on you." Never do I hear "you got a woman on you"

Never do I hear "you got a woman on you"

Good thing, too. I'm afraid I would laugh hysterically every time I heard that.

But then again, I'm ticklish that way. I giggled every time I saw a "Wild Forest Buck" in WoW, just because a B in that game looks so much like an F.

So you are in the US military and currently referring to your female officers as Sir? That is what you are telling me?

It depends on the officer for the most part, but officially, yes, you can refer to female officers as Sir.

It depends on the officer for the most part, but officially, yes, you can refer to female officers as Sir.

I'm not in the military, but I'm thinking that this policy is based largely on the fact that officers should be seen by their rank and not by their sex. While it would not surprise me to find out it may be a layover from when it was a male-only military, I do know some women hate being called 'miss' or 'ma'am'

It's not unlike referring to a doctor or professor as 'Doctor [Name]' or 'Professor [Name]'. Why is this concept so strange to some people?

The proper form of address for a female officer is either her Rank+name or Ma'am. Anything else is incorrect. My original point was this is something that Sci-Fi movies tend to disregard. In the context of this thread, a previous poster mentioned the Star Wars Codex said it was tradition for all officers to be called Sir, and therefore intentional in the game.

I'm not in the military, but I'm thinking that this policy is based largely on the fact that officers should be seen by their rank and not by their sex. While it would not surprise me to find out it may be a layover from when it was a male-only military, I do know some women hate being called 'miss' or 'ma'am'

It's not unlike referring to a doctor or professor as 'Doctor [Name]' or 'Professor [Name]'. Why is this concept so strange to some people?

It actually is different because it is military protocol. Where there are finite definitions on what can and cant be done, and more importantly how to refer to your superiors. You are talking about etiquette, which is completely different.

It actually is different because it is military protocol. Where there are finite definitions on what can and cant be done, and more importantly how to refer to your superiors. You are talking about etiquette, which is completely different.

I said 'it is not unlike'

Like = similar, not exact

My point still stands

As I had it explained to me, at least in the US military, many female officers will clearly state that they prefer and DEMAND that they be addressed as "Sir". "Ma'am" is viewed as being informal or de-elevated in terms of standing by most.

I am unsure if there is an official protocol for usage of "Sir" vs. "Ma'am" as codified in any of the US military branches (I'm sure there is for at least one), though it is even demonstrated in pop-culture that many women will prefer and insist on the use of the term "Sir" (as an example, reference Castle and the new police chief).

That said, as mentioned previously, as per the codex, the Star Wars universe is codified that ranking females be addressed as "Sir".

This not only seems natural but simplifies a large amount of coding, voice recording, and scripting. The use of "he" though is definitely a bug.

I said 'it is not unlike'

Like = similar, not exact

My point still stands

Ok and oranges are not unlike apples because they are round. Your point does not stand because you are still comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by STGrant

As I had it explained to me, at least in the US military, many female officers will clearly state that they prefer and DEMAND that they be addressed as "Sir". "Ma'am" is viewed as being informal or de-elevated in terms of standing by most.

I am unsure if there is an official protocol for usage of "Sir" vs. "Ma'am" as codified in any of the US military branches (I'm sure there is for at least one), though it is even demonstrated in pop-culture that many women will prefer and insist on the use of the term "Sir" (as an example, reference Castle and the new police chief).

In pop culture maybe, in movies definitely. In military service, not a chance. In the 15 years I have been serving in the US Army I have never had a female officer either request or accept (it does happen on accident) being called Sir. It ALWAYS results in some sort of punishment, usually of the physical nature. Now granted I can't attest for what happens at some backwoods Airforce base in a foreign country, but as far as protocol is concerned it is unacceptable.

Most female officers find it extremely offensive as it suggests a female officer honorific is somehow not the equivalent of a male honorific. If a female officer chooses to ignore it then that is her choice, but it is by no means acceptable practice.

Edited by STGrant

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.