Not a "new" player just confused

DarkCrossing

I've finally gone to Win10 leaving my old trusty Win7 by t he wayside. I'm a bit confused on one thing and hopefully someone will set me on the straight and narrow once again! Yes, I am an Old Guy and happily admit it! On my Win7 machine when I placed my mouse on a power it told me what it is/was. Having set up SWTOR 2020 on my Win10 machine it doesn't do this. Am I missing something to get to do this or is this a test of "Dementia" built into the game?

Did you upgrade the windows on the machine, or buy a new machine, perhaps with a 4k monitor. The mouse on the 4k monitors can be finiky at best, you have to use the windows settings to make it bigger, or at least I did, it was very hard to see on the standard setting

I think it will depend on where you are looking. If you open your "Abilities" list in the UI, and mouse-over the items in the list, you will see a tooltip positioned above the Ability name.

But if you mouse-over one of the occupied buttons on a toolbar, you will see the tooltip information appear in a window whose position is defined in the Interface Editor, as "Large Tooltip". In my UI designs, this tooltip is attached to the Minimap (a specific property that can be defined only for that tooltip), so it appears as a window that grows up from the minimap. However, as the "Large Tooltip" can be undocked from the minimap, it could be anywhere... it can even be disabled, so it is entirely possible that yours is disabled, hence the reason why it is not showing.

Open your Interface Editor, make sure that the Interface selection (about 2/3rds of the way down the main pane of the editor) is set for either "Main HUD" or "All", and somewhere on the screen you should see an item "Large Tooltip". If it is disabled, it will be in red, or if it is enabled it will be green.