Character flip/flopping - Need to keep name, how do I do this right?

Relict_Nephilim

I have an old main that I want to transfer from one server to another, using the name of an advanced character on the destination server. How do I do this properly so I am not locked out of the name on the destination server?

I would prefer NOT to delete the current character on the destination server but I will if I have to.

I see 3 options, I need to know which option will allow me to keep the name I have on the destination.

1: Transfer "Keep Name" off destination server, Transfer "New Char" on to destination server and rename.

2: Delete "Keep Name" off destination server, transfer "New Char" onto destination server and rename.

3: Rename "Keep Name", Transfer "New Char" onto Destination Server and rename.

Option 3 is the best option for me, but I have heard rumors of people being locked out of their character names for 3 to 4 months because the server somehow reserves the name for a while after a transfer or rename or something?

Any guidance is helpful, trying to figure this out, thank you.

I've created chars, and then delete them because something wasn't right, and was able to use the name straight away. I've also renamed my main char, because I wanted to create the same char, but as a chiss, so rather than wasting credits/cc's on it (I wasn't as well of in game then, as I am now...lol) I used my free rename, then created the new char, and then name was ready to use.

once you release the name, it seems to become free almost instantly. So which ever option is easier for you to do, would be best. Bear in mind, there is always a chance, small one, but still possible, that when you move, rename, etc. That once the name is free, someone could be just about to pick it. Highly unlikely I know, but stranger things have happened...this is 2020 after all ;)

Either way, you'll experience at least a few minutes where someone can take the name.

For not wanting to delete the first toon, I believe this creates the narrowest window in which someone could steal the name:

1. You leave the original toon on the destination server alone

2. Transfer the other character to the destination server

3. Rename the first character once the transfer is complete

4. Rename the transferred character to what you want

Edited by xordevoreaux

How about this to minimize the vulnerability window:

1. Rename the "New Char" (currently on source server) to "Keep Name"

2. Rename, move, or delete "Keep Name" character on destination server.

3. Move the "New Char" to destination server

Deleting will minimize the time window but will cause loss of the effort you put into the character. If you're going with deleting, you can do it two separate programs quickly one after another; delete within the game, move the character using the browser. You can do everything need to set up the move except for the final click to do it in the browser and then switch to the game and delete; switch back to the browser and click the button.

Deleting will minimize the time window but will cause loss of the effort you put into the character. If you're going with deleting, you can do it two separate programs quickly one after another; delete within the game, move the character using the browser. You can do everything need to set up the move except for the final click to do it in the browser and then switch to the game and delete; switch back to the browser and click the button.

Preferable to have both characters already on the server prior to renaming anything, as I mentioned above, to avoid any hiccups with the transfer and subsequently lose the name because of a transfer delay / failure.

And in addition to all this, remember to buy and claim the relevant name-change object(s) *before* you begin, to reduce the window for problems as far as possible.

But also note that transfers are not instantaneous, so if OP wants to reduce the window for accidents as short as possible, the schema should be (assumption: OP wants to move Frobble to the new server and use the name of the existing new-server character Elbborf):

* Have Frobble buy and claim a rename token.

* If you want to keep the existing Elbborf character under a new name (that is not "Frobble"), buy and claim the rename token. If you want to delete Elbborf, don't bother with the token.

* Transfer Frobble to the new server

* When the transfer is complete, log into the existing Elbborf and rename it to Newelbborf (or whatever name other than Frobble you want).

* Then log into Frobble and rename it to Elbborf.

It's a little different if you want the characters to swap names, and I'd recommend doing it a different way:

* Have Elbborf (on the new server) buy and claim a rename token and *immediately* rename it to Frobble.

* Transfer old Frobble to the new server

* It will collide with the existing character called Frobble on the new server and be forced to rename.

* As soon as the transfer is complete, log in to the character formerly called Frobble and now called (in red) something like DOINNFZFYBZOINOIFN (the exact letters will vary, and I've probably got the wrong number of them, but they *will* be all-caps and red). You will be forced to propose a new name before you can log in. Enter the new name you want and go.

And in addition to all this, remember to buy and claim the relevant name-change object(s) *before* you begin, to reduce the window for problems as far as possible.

But also note that transfers are not instantaneous, so if OP wants to reduce the window for accidents as short as possible, the schema should be (assumption: OP wants to move Frobble to the new server and use the name of the existing new-server character Elbborf):

* Have Frobble buy and claim a rename token.

* If you want to keep the existing Elbborf character under a new name (that is not "Frobble"), buy and claim the rename token. If you want to delete Elbborf, don't bother with the token.

* Transfer Frobble to the new server

* When the transfer is complete, log into the existing Elbborf and rename it to Newelbborf (or whatever name other than Frobble you want).

* Then log into Frobble and rename it to Elbborf.

It's a little different if you want the characters to swap names, and I'd recommend doing it a different way:

* Have Elbborf (on the new server) buy and claim a rename token and *immediately* rename it to Frobble.

* Transfer old Frobble to the new server

* It will collide with the existing character called Frobble on the new server and be forced to rename.

* As soon as the transfer is complete, log in to the character formerly called Frobble and now called (in red) something like DOINNFZFYBZOINOIFN (the exact letters will vary, and I've probably got the wrong number of them, but they *will* be all-caps and red). You will be forced to propose a new name before you can log in. Enter the new name you want and go.

You've made that far, far more complicated that it needs to be, and riddled with risky delays in renaming in several steps. ALL transfers should be complete BEFORE any renaming starts.

There's a somewhat easier way to do this without having to buy TWO rename tokens. You'll only need one, but you'll need two open character slots on the destination server.

1) Create new character on Destination server that is the same name as Transferring Character's Current Name.

2) Transfer character to Destination server. Since a character with that name already exists there, you'll get a free name change. Don't use it yet.

3) Buy name change token for character with Desired Name.

4) Use token and change Desired Name character to another name of your choice.

5) Immediately switch to Transferred Character and use the free name change to assign the Desired Name.

6) Name change complete!

You've made that far, far more complicated that it needs to be, and riddled with risky delays in renaming in several steps. ALL transfers should be complete BEFORE any renaming starts.

Did you bother reading? Summary of what I said for the first case:

* Buy and claim tokens (so they are in your inventory)

* Do transfer

* Do renames.

For the second case (where the characters swap names, you either rename the new-server character (to set up a name collision) first, *or* you use *three* tokens after the move:

* Elbborf ==> Junkytemporaryname

* Frobble ==> Elbborf

* Junkytemporaryname ==> Frobble.

On reflection, to swap names:

* Create a temporary Frobble on the new server (option for the terminally stingy: sell its gear and put the credits in storage, although it hardly seems worth the effort)

* Run the transfer

* The original Frobble (from the old server) is now called something like IUFHBZIUFBTVYZ.

* Delete the temporaty Frobble

* Rename Elbborf ==> Frobble

I have an old main that I want to transfer from one server to another, using the name of an advanced character on the destination server. How do I do this properly so I am not locked out of the name on the destination server?

The only real 'risk' here is the small chance that someone else may try to use your name at the exact same timeframe that you do.

So, the safest way would be to transfer the character first, and then do the name changes. This would cost two name change tokens.

The cheapest way would be to transfer the old character and then rename it to something that's just spelled a little differently than your desired name such as "Jedi'quaker" or "Jediquak'r" instead of "Jediquaker"

HoloTweed's method would be somewhere in between as far as risk and costs are concerned.

Edited by JediQuaker

The cheapest way would be to transfer the old character and then rename it to something that's just spelled a little differently than your desired name such as "Jedi'quaker" or "Jediquak'r" instead of "Jediquaker"

Btw, a bit off topic but, this is also how you can have several characters with the same "name".

My very first character, a Sentinel, is named "Quaker". Some time later, I made a Juggasnot named "Qwakur".

More recently I made a Gunslinger called "Qua'ker". I also made a 4th character with a similar variant just in order to unlock Tw'lek species, but it's subject to deletion any time I need a slot. 🙂

So before you spend a bunch of CC or credits on rename tokens, ask yourself if you really need to keep the same spelling. 🤔

Edited by JediQuaker