All I want for Christmas is a larger chat window.

Relict_Nephilim

Well, I have moved the chat window to the top left of my screen but when I drag the corner to increase the chat window there is a maximum width and length that I can drag it out... and that's not even a quarter of the screen. So I'm not the one asking but I'm curious what you mean.

What I meant was - incoming rant.....

The OP wanted a larger chat box, and given the way the original, unedited, post was phrased, I tried to be helpful by pointing out how you can resize the chat window.

Then someone posted a screen shot showing the chat box way down on the left side of the screen, so again, I try to be helpful by suggesting they move it up higher. (Note that the screen shot and further explanation has been retrofitted into the original post.)

Then I get some snarky replies about how they did all that but it still isn't big enough.

So, I give up (trying to help). It's like when someone asks "Why won't my car start", and after you give them all the usual advice they come back with "I already tried all that". Well, **** you for wasting my time! 😡

😉 🙄

Edited by JediQuaker

/snip

😉 🙄

That's one of the worst things about people being able to edit their posts, they can change it around after people have already commented on it, to make them look bad....a certain person did that a lot when he wasn't getting his way. It eventually backfired on him, and he slunk away....

But back on topic. did the OP do what I suggested about the global settings?

Edited by DarkTergon

The OP wanted a larger chat box, and given the way the original, unedited, post was phrased, I tried to be helpful by pointing out how you can resize the chat window.

Then someone posted a screen shot showing the chat box way down on the left side of the screen, so again, I try to be helpful by suggesting they move it up higher. (Note that the screen shot and further explanation has been retrofitted into the original post.)

Then I get some snarky replies about how they did all that but it still isn't big enough.

So, I give up (trying to help). It's like when someone asks "Why won't my car start", and after you give them all the usual advice they come back with "I already tried all that". Well, **** you for wasting my time! 😡

😉 🙄

Yeah, I get it but unfortunately that seems to be the way of things. It's like those people that complain about technical issues and don't post the specs of their PCs and then when you ask they get snarky with you or give you incomplete info. I suppose that no good deed goes unpunished... you had to try and be helpful;)

Edited by Tsillah

---snip---

But back on topic. did the OP do what I suggested about the global settings?

I did try as you suggested. As far as I can find the global settings and interface settings hold very little sway over the chat window size at all and will not accomplish the goal I am after. The crux of the issue is trying to fit quite a lot of text onto the screen all at once.

When I play, it is usually 4 to 8 people in a space each typing emotes and text in paragraph form. When you have such a small chat window it makes it difficult to keep up and there is a lot of scrolling involved. We are talking multiple full character limit posts by several people at once. Quite a lot of text.

If the ability to expand the chat window all the way down from the top left to the bottom left corner of the screen were possible with the GUI would be an amazing boon for the RP side of the community. The text buffer size would not need to be increased at all, just the physical limitations of the length of the chat box which are currently in place.

Currently it is not possible to make the chat window even close to the size that would be attractive to the RP community..

huh; maybe the size of the chat window has a limit that is affected by screen resolution, and not necessarily UI scale? i have my chat window HUGE...

Though, I play in 5760x1080 (three screens, ultra wide 21:9 ratio) which the game supports naturally; and have my chat window encompass about half of one whole screen. That said, I play with the general UI scale at about 1.25, so that i can make the mini-map much bigger, and then scaled down most of the other pieces to a 'normal' size... i'd honestly go bigger than that if i could (*for the mini-map only) but then windows like the large map and cartel market are horribly cut-off and impossible to efficiently navigate.

EDIT:

forgot to mention, i'd post a pic if i could but I'm trollin while at work; so i can't rn. :cool:

Edited by leftharted
addition