The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

We need to dye the new Jedi Knight Revan armor set!

sdrakulya

TL;DR: Please make the new Revan's set brown parts be dyeable aswell. On the PTS they remain brown no matter what and that is a big problem!

Let me say this first: the set looks AWESOME! It has so many details and it's so close to being a perfect render of his KOTOR look. Shape wise I would complain that the mask may look a bit too big but it's a minor detail. The problem comes when you try to dye it. Apparently you chose to make the brown bits undyeable, and I ask WHY? I understand this is supposed to be the light side version of his robe, which is why I didn't complain about lack of cape or metallic armor (though I would encourage making a version with cape), but you must be aware that the two Darth Revan sets we got so far are not even close to being accurate to his KOTOR looks. So for those of us that really want to look like Darth Revan, this set would have been almost perfect... Except we can't make it black and red!

There has been this trend lately of making awesome sets with lots of undyeable details. I don't understand it and it's breaking more and more sets for me that I can't use because I can't dye them. It kind of defeat the whole purpose of the dye system. I wish you stopped doing that altogether. But specially on this set??? You must have known the first thing people would try would be a Black and Red dye on the lower robe. Why take that away from us? Why not let us enjoy the set however we want to? Please, please, consider making all the brown parts dye as a secondary color instead of (or together with) the mask. Both for Revan fans (of which there are many) and people who simply would like to use a Black and Black or a White and White and look awesome. Because this armor would look absolutely insane in Black and Black. The brown tone you gave it is beautiful, there's no denying that, but undyeable parts are not fun. At the very least include a version with a black belt and the thing hanging on the skirt red.

Unless you're planning on making a Darth Revan version too, of which I wouldn't complain :D Add cape, give metallic texture in bronze for chest and gloves, use the right colors and get twice the profit while making me happy :D but even then it's just always a bad idea to make things not dyeable so please change it before going live! 😭

Here are few photoshopped samples of how awesome it could look if you allowed us to dye everything: https://images2.imgbox.com/7b/e7/xI9MBgQK_o.png Look at all the insanely looking options you're denying the players!

I agree, players should be able to choose - as it is so unique in design, the excuse of "well just wear something else that is dyable" doesn't really cut it, as there are only one or two others with a similar look, tho they look quite different.

Make it happen plez

Don't forget this will be a Cartel Market set and will probably cost quite a bit of CC to buy, so I don't think it is wrong to ask for them to fix a part of the set that currently cannot be dyed.

And let's be honest, Darth Revan is kinda THE centerpiece of all Old Republic era characters.

Edited by Darthjantom

I do agree, Revan is the best on SWTOR and we need to be able to dye the set to be a full part of revan with this option. It allow to customize the set to all with our particularity in color and then all be a part of Revan.

Its really important for me too.

Absolutely support this! I was super disappointed when I realised the brown tattered skirt part of the Furious Gladiator legs doesn't dye because it was otherwise perf for a look I had in mind for a Sith warrior and there's really not anything else like that particular piece.

It's awesome the Revan Jedi set has so many different pieces but please, please, PLEASE, let us dye it all!

Maybe it's because I haven't really played around with it myself, but honestly, the thought of dyeing that set just feels like... heresy?

Honestly, for me it feels like heresy not to dye it. The starforge white robes were just loot so they were always semi canon. He never wore them in any other canon appearance and as far as we know he used the black robes even when redeemed. So ok, I can accept the white robes and they are cool looking and welcome but if we're gonna stay true to Revan we should go black and red. Regardless the main point is we should always be able to dye everything to our personal taste 😢

Honestly, for me it feels like heresy not to dye it. The starforge white robes were just loot so they were always semi canon. He never wore them in any other canon appearance and as far as we know he used the black robes even when redeemed. So ok, I can accept the white robes and they are cool looking and welcome but if we're gonna stay true to Revan we should go black and red. Regardless the main point is we should always be able to dye everything to our personal taste 😢

Even when your taste goes against the entire point of the LS Revan KOTOR robes?

What you want are the DS KOTOR Revan robes, which can easily be added later. I get the sense this particular version is being added because of the 6.2 story, and it was suggested here by another player months or maybe a year ago.

The game already got 2 DS Revan sets. It has evolved a great deal to allow for armor that looks way better, and I completely understand the desire for an updated Darth Revan set. That should be the suggestion, not altering the LS version. It doesn't even look the same as DS KOTOR Revan's set, which has a cape, hood up, and metallic armor.

Edited by arunav

Even when your taste goes against the entire point of the LS Revan KOTOR robes?

What you want are the DS KOTOR Revan robes, which can easily be added later. I get the sense this particular version is being added because of the 6.2 story, and it was suggested here by another player months or maybe a year ago.

The game already got 2 DS Revan sets. It has evolved a great deal to allow for armor that looks way better, and I completely understand the desire for an updated Darth Revan set. That should be the suggestion, not altering the LS version. It doesn't even look the same as DS KOTOR Revan's set, which has a cape, hood up, and metallic armor.

I'll say again, even Light Side Revan wore the black robes so it doesn't go against the point at all. I would definitely be on board for a "dark side" version with the cape, the metal and the right colors but as you said, there are already 2 (not accurate at all) dark side armor sets so it's very unlikely they will make yet another one so this one would be the closest we could get even without the cape. And nobody is asking them to "alter" the set that we can see on PTS, it looks great and the colors look good too, just make them dyeable. More choices for the player are always a good thing, if people like the base colors they can leave them but if others want to dye it black and red (or even white and white, come on, look at my edit, it looks awesome) that should be doable too. The biggest point is not even about whether Revan should use the white or the black robes, but that we should always be allowed to dye all or most parts of every armor set and they are making the dye system pointless lately.

I'll say again, even Light Side Revan wore the black robes so it doesn't go against the point at all.

The set being put in the game is a particular one, from the end of KOTOR. You just proved my point with your comment. The black robes Revan used in KOTOR as a LS user didn't look like the Darth Revan set you're trying to emulate with dyes.

BW has every reason to introduce a new Darth Revan set, updated to the current design capabilities that were unavailable to the original launch and Reborn sets. Revan gear always sells extremely well.

You're correct - there are multiple Jedi sets in the game, some of which have leather, brown areas that can't be dyed. And they look better for it. You're assuming everyone wants the same thing out of dyes that you do, and that isn't the case.

For example, just with this set, it looks way better with black cloth and brown leather portions than what was photoshopped. This just happens to not look like Darth Revan. And, again, the armor isn't Darth Revan's!

It's up to BW what they do with this. But there are tons of players that, frankly, have no sense of aesthetics, take 6 pieces from 5 different sets, stick some black/black dye on it, and think it looks great. They're all over Imperial fleet, and generally look pretty bad. I hope the designers go with what they have in mind, whether or not it conforms to any of our views.

The set being put in the game is a particular one, from the end of KOTOR. You just proved my point with your comment. The black robes Revan used in KOTOR as a LS user didn't look like the Darth Revan set you're trying to emulate with dyes.
I didn't say it was the same set, my only point there was that I didn't see it as heresy because of that.

BW has every reason to introduce a new Darth Revan set, updated to the current design capabilities that were unavailable to the original launch and Reborn sets. Revan gear always sells extremely well.
I agree and hope they would do it, but I still suspect they won't so I have to focus on what seems easier to happen. I still did ask/suggest in my post that they do a separate dark side version too because I agree. It still doesn't change the fact that armor should be dyeable imo.

For example, just with this set, it looks way better with black cloth and brown leather portions than what was photoshopped.
That's a matter of taste, but I agree too and did say in my post that the brown they chose is beautiful. But choices are always better. With the CM certificates that many people got tons of from the nightlife event you can get a cheap black primary only dye for the non photoshopped version easily, while people who prefer the others (and many do and have praised them) can also get their way.

It's up to BW what they do with this. But there are tons of players that, frankly, have no sense of aesthetics, take 6 pieces from 5 different sets, stick some black/black dye on it, and think it looks great. They're all over Imperial fleet, and generally look pretty bad. I hope the designers go with what they have in mind, whether or not it conforms to any of our views.
Well, honestly, if those players with "no sense of aesthetics" like that outfit that you dislike, I'm happy for them enjoying their outfit the way they want to, and black dyes are expensive so BW wins too. Obviously it's up to them but so far lots of people have agreed that it's always better to have fully dyeable armor. I see a lot of people complaining every time one of these new armor sets comes out and follows this non dyeable trend. I even talked with a player on reddit who refused to support this request because they wanted to use a specific dye without the secondary color showing, but even they admitted that's the dye system's fault and that overall everything should be dyeable. Bioware can certainly ignore the player base but it's not advisable as a general rule. If most people want to be able to dye it, it would make sense that they at least consider it, which is all I'm asking, to be fair :p

I didn't say it was the same set, my only point there was that I didn't see it as heresy because of that.

That's a matter of taste, but I agree too and did say in my post that the brown they chose is beautiful. But choices are always better. With the CM certificates that many people got tons of from the nightlife event you can get a cheap black primary only dye for the non photoshopped version easily, while people who prefer the others (and many do and have praised them) can also get their way.

Well, honestly, if those players with "no sense of aesthetics" like that outfit that you dislike, I'm happy for them enjoying their outfit the way they want to, and black dyes are expensive so BW wins too. Obviously it's up to them but so far lots of people have agreed that it's always better to have fully dyeable armor. I see a lot of people complaining every time one of these new armor sets comes out and follows this non dyeable trend. I even talked with a player on reddit who refused to support this request because they wanted to use a specific dye without the secondary color showing, but even they admitted that's the dye system's fault and that overall everything should be dyeable. Bioware can certainly ignore the player base but it's not advisable as a general rule. If most people want to be able to dye it, it would make sense that they at least consider it, which is all I'm asking, to be fair :p

I didn't say it was "heresy" to implement your suggestion to alter the LS ending robes. That was someone else.

"That's a matter of taste, but I agree too and did say in my post that the brown they chose is beautiful. But choices are always better. With the CM certificates that many people got tons of from the nightlife event you can get a cheap black primary only dye"

While true, this greatly limits the number of CM dyes that can be used if the set is made to dye entirely, generally the best ones, because almost all of them have both primary and secondary portions. In short, your preference would have all dye combinations available, and those who prefer the brown leather be preserved would have a fraction to use.

"Well, honestly, if those players with "no sense of aesthetics" like that outfit that you dislike, I'm happy for them enjoying their outfit the way they want to, and black dyes are expensive so BW wins too. Obviously it's up to them but so far lots of people have agreed that it's always better to have fully dyeable armor."

I'm glad they like their characters, and I'm sure BW doesn't care what they look like as long as they buy CM gear and dyes, within a few specific boundaries that are inconsistent with SW lore.

There's still an objective reality when assessing aesthetic choices, though. This references expertise in a field vs. someone generally unfamiliar with it knowing anything and everything with a couple of internet searches, a trend that unfortunately has taken over the U.S. in recent decades. I don't hold anything against someone who enjoys the game with whatever choices they make for their characters. My point in posting here is, in some cases, design choices have a reason behind them, and people making them aren't wrong for doing so. You've admitted yourself the leather color chosen is "beautiful", and the set can be dyed around that color for LS Revan. The actual Darth Revan KOTOR armor should be added too, for fans of both alignments, and for people that would prefer the DS look.

"Obviously it's up to them but so far lots of people have agreed that it's always better to have fully dyeable armor. I see a lot of people complaining every time one of these new armor sets comes out and follows this non dyeable trend. I even talked with a player on reddit who refused to support this request because they wanted to use a specific dye without the secondary color showing, but even they admitted that's the dye system's fault and that overall everything should be dyeable. Bioware can certainly ignore the player base but it's not advisable as a general rule. "

The number of people that post on the forums or reddit is quite small. It's not representative of the player base. This is an area for feedback, though, and you've certainly made your views clear. BW will do whatever they think is best, which I kind of expect will be to make everything dye. I'd just prefer, like the Force Apprentice armor set, for example, that the leather stays one color, and the rest of the set dyes around it. It makes the set distinct from Darth Revan, and keeps the focus on it being Revan's LS ending set from KOTOR.

Edited by arunav

I didn't say it was "heresy" to implement your suggestion to alter the LS ending robes. That was someone else.
Yeah sorry, I admit I didn't check that since it was the same conversation.

this greatly limits the number of CM dyes that can be used if the set is made to dye entirely, generally the best ones, because almost all of them have both primary and secondary portions.
I see this point, which is why this reddit user chose not to participate in this despite agreeing with my overall view. But I consider that a fault of the dye system itself, which is another matter and something that should be addressed aswell. But imo one mistake doesn't justify another and it's overall better to not have static colors in armor. I myself have taken advantage of non dyeable parts I liked on occasion, but tbh I'd be willing to have those outfits start looking bad if it meant we can dye everything else that is undyeable currently.

in some cases, design choices have a reason behind them, and people making them aren't wrong for doing so. You've admitted yourself the leather color chosen is "beautiful"
Since this is all subjective, it's true that they are not wrong for doing whatever they choose to do. Anyways, yes, I like the brown and it's not even about looking like Darth Revan anymore. For instance, I think that's a very beautiful belt and would like to use it with several other outfits, but brown won't work with all characters or outfits so that's a big problem for me and many other people, no matter how beautiful said brown is.

The number of people that post on the forums or reddit is quite small. It's not representative of the player base.
True, but I did also mention comments I've seen from people in game. Not being able to dye something that's gold (as used to be the case) or brown (as is the trend lately) tends to cause more trouble than it prevents and I've seen this view shared with me many times so far.

I'd just prefer, like the Force Apprentice armor set, for example, that the leather stays one color, and the rest of the set dyes around it.
This I don't understand. Force Apprentice is for me the perfect example of how a set should be done, and is in fact one of my favorite sets in game. It has very beautiful base colors, it actually has three base colors, but allows you to easily work with 2-color dyes without leaving anything undyeable. It works well with so many different dye combinations, be it primary only, secondary only, and nothing remains unchanged if you give it a full dye. Well, other than the very small metal bits. The complaint comes when the undyeable parts are huge like they are doing lately.

I kind of expect will be to make everything dye.
Oh, how I hope you're right! Regardless I thank you, it's always good to see other points of view ^^

But there are tons of players that, frankly, have no sense of aesthetics, take 6 pieces from 5 different sets, stick some black/black dye on it, and think it looks great. They're all over Imperial fleet, and generally look pretty bad. I hope the designers go with what they have in mind, whether or not it conforms to any of our views.

In YOUR opinion, who made you the lord and master of design? There are many more people who put brilliant sets together from mixing and matching, and the dye's. All you have to do is look at tor fashion, and sworista, plus any other numerous sites. Your basically saying that your way is the right way, and all these people are wrong. Not everyone in SWTOR are lore dictators , and like to play around with the outfits, if they want to dye them any colour, it's their choice, they've paid the money for it, so they can do what they like.

Taste has absolutely nothing to do with this.

With a game selling EXPENSIVE PREMIUM cartel market armor sets designed with the purpose of people using either the full set or parts from that set for their own cool outfits, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for it to be fully dyeable.

Many of us do like to mix & match sets to make our own custom outfits.

Having a big part that doesn't dye at all will really limit its use regardless if people want to dye the full set to be a more accurate Darth Revan from the KOTOR games or use specific parts along with pieces from other armor sets to create their own cool and unique outfits.

EDIT: not to mention many of the best dyes are also PREMIUM one-time usable dyes from the cartel market.

Edited by Darthjantom