The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Unlock: buy more hooks.

BenduKundalini

+1 Yeah really, like the guild ship only has a 600 hook limit - lame, can only decorate about half of it.

Flagship is the absolute worst for hooks available. And don't get me started on the imperial hangar in which you CANNOT break down the starship hook into centerpieces (you can in the pub one)

I want to be able to use more hooks in my strongholds.

Personally, I don't want more hooks in my stronghold - I want better placement in some cases, but the number of hooks already makes some SH's look like a junk shop.

Part of the problem is that I have so many decorations now, that I couldn't possibly fit them all into one SH, especially if I want some sort of "theme".

So, my variation would be to keep the current hook count as 100%, but have the option for hooks beyond 100%**.

I doubt that it would be feasible to just sell random hooks that you could just place anywhere you want. There would be infra-structure considerations.

** It is nice to have that 100%, but I'm willing to go lower than 100% if it maintains my 'theme'.

Edited by JediQuaker

Personally, I don't want more hooks in my stronghold - I want better placement in some cases, but the number of hooks already makes some SH's look like a junk shop.

Part of the problem is that I have so many decorations now, that I couldn't possibly fit them all into one SH, especially if I want some sort of "theme".

So, my variation would be to keep the current hook count as 100%, but have the option for hooks beyond 100%**.

I doubt that it would be feasible to just sell random hooks that you could just place anywhere you want. There would be infra-structure considerations.

** It is nice to have that 100%, but I'm willing to go lower than 100% if it maintains my 'theme'.

I've mentioned several times that the best thing to do would be to abandon the hook system in favor of the x-y-z-scale-skew system everquest 2 has, which ignores geometry collision during placement, so you can push objects halfway through walls, block entrances, make stair cases out of shelving units, all manner of weirdness.

Aside from that fantasy is having SWTOR work like Sims 4 as far as object-on-object placement, i.e., being able to put a flower vase on a night stand because there are predefined "hooks" on the night stand's surface to hold variously-sized objects. Mantels, tables, desks, all have them in Sims 4.

Both games made by EA, I could see some cross-over functionality in that regard. The problem is time. I build mods for both Skyrim and Sims4, and I've added (and removed) the surface hooks from objects in Sims4, and it's tedious, even with a tool there to help you do it, and it would have to be done on a per-object basis, as differently-sized surfaces could vary in their number of surface hooks.

Skyrim uses an x-y-z-scale-rotate system, which then adds physics (the Havok system) to the mix (accidentally nudge a bookshelf while placing something in a Skyrim house and everything on the shelves can fall over, very irritating, that).

Oh I missed the replies. (notifications fubar for me)

Coming back from ESO where you can become an ARCHITECT by building stuff as high as the sky allows, I thought I'd have lost interest in SWTOR's housing due to the miserable hook limitations.

However in the meanwhile The Mandalorian happened and I've had the time of my gaming life creating an immersive mandalorian hideout which hands down beats all the other strongholds I ever made.

(I have to stop being so lazy and publish a tour of them on my swtor blog, especially given I won't be able to post anymore in here soon.)

Anyway, even though I wish we had freedom of placement or the ability to stack decorations on top of one another (kinda works with npcs on solid stuff, but iffy) I know it's never going to happen.

So I just want to be able to use more hooks. And believe me, it's for an immersive experience - not a monty haul thing.

Having to sacrifice a decoration in order to put a new one just sucks.

Edited by BenduKundalini

Having to sacrifice a decoration in order to put a new one just sucks.

I know, it sucks. Sometimes I have the s/h how I like, then suddenly new stuff comes out, and I want to ad it, but can't decide what to remove...lol

Recently I wanted to add some stuff to my coruscant apt, and couldn't decide what to remove. So I left it. Went on to my alt acc, and sorted out some stuff, logged back to my main, and forgot I was on my main....went to delete the s/h and reactivate it for CQ points....and wiped it...lol

But it turned out to be a good thing, as I completed redid it, and it's much better now...lol

I agree that for those who want to exceed the limited hook count should be able to, if we are willing to pay. I am most definitely willing to pay to be able to add more hooks to my strongholds. Yea, the guildships have a really low hook limit that I can't believe that Bioware ever thought it adequate. I would love more hooks on my maxed DK and Coruscant, too, among a few others (namely Alderaan). Edited by BlackSilverDawn

went to delete the s/h and reactivate it for CQ points....and wiped it...lol

I had no idea that was a thing !

Also yesterday I changed guild leadership to one of my alts to buy a land-based strh to get the "move in day" I got on a lowbie guildmaster char... and nope.

I agree that for those who want to exceed the limited hook count should be able to, if we are willing to pay. I am most definitely willing to pay to be able to add more hooks to my strongholds. Yea, the guildships have a really low hook limit that I can't believe that Bioware ever thought it adequate. I would love more hooks on my maxed DK and Coruscant, too, among a few others (namely Alderaan).

Thanks guys ! Let's keep this idea going !

:ph_use_the_force:

Edited by BenduKundalini

Previous posts are completely true -- the flagships don't have enough hooks!

I know it was upgraded once before, but it's still about 50 hooks short of having rooms that aren't half empty.

They really could use an extra 100 hooks.

I'd love to see the max hook limits increased in all the strongholds, but I would also very much like to see the percent complete column in the stronghold listings changed. People really favor strongholds decorated up to 100% but that encourages clutter. The situation would be worse with greater hook limits. I'd much rather see the % Complete be based on a SH being totally unlocked and having a certain number of decos in place, not the max.

Previous posts are completely true -- the flagships don't have enough hooks!

I know it was upgraded once before, but it's still about 50 hooks short of having rooms that aren't half empty.

They really could use an extra 100 hooks.

I'd love to see the max hook limits increased in all the strongholds, but I would also very much like to see the percent complete column in the stronghold listings changed. People really favor strongholds decorated up to 100% but that encourages clutter. The situation would be worse with greater hook limits. I'd much rather see the % Complete be based on a SH being totally unlocked and having a certain number of decos in place, not the max.

My dear Xina I couldn't care less what others do with their strongholds, if they like to ruin them and turn the bridge of a Harrower-class Dreadnought into a jungle brothel with twileks and grophets dancing to a statue of Karraga, more power to them. :eek:

Meanwhile, I need TWICE as many hooks to create IMMERSIVE SPACES THAT FEEL TRUE TO STAR WARS, not only to have rooms that are not empty as if fresh from the Kuat shipyards, but also to create true vignettes, that sometimes require a lot of elements in the same spot.

Anyway,

ARE.

WE.

GETTING.

MORE.

HOOKS.

YET.

:ph_use_the_force:

:csw_destroyer:

Edited by BenduKundalini

Signed: the hook count from several years ago for the Guild Ships is just does not cut it. Will pay whatever, just give us the ability to exceed the original 100% if we want to buy hook expansions.

PAY?? No.

Cartel Coins (or even credits)?!? Hell. No.

Unlockable with additional encryptions /frameworks - Maybe, within reasonable limits it would be doable, and livable.

If people want to throw money at BW for CM unlocks, ok, personal preferences and all... but still needs to be accessible /grindable via normal game play.

As an expansion on the other parts of the topic:

While respective strongholds and guild ships in general were great concepts (in their time), the years have moved on, and so have the expectations.

Some general retrograde remodeling work is needed for usable hook counts in all SH's, most especially the guild ships, and thats not counting the sloppiness of uneven and flat out missing hooks that would balance out a space that needs to be fixed.

Also, 'Mirror Designs" such as the guild ships and capitol worlds (Coruscant / Dromund Kaas) should be actual mirrors, not blatant tilts in hook layouts that favors one faction over another.

I'd much rather see the % Complete be based on a SH being totally unlocked and having a certain number of decos in place, not the max.

We suggested this very thing years ago, and after some behind the scenes muddling around, they ended up removing the 100% decorated requirement from CQ all together.. but never addressed the 100% issue itself.

/snip

As nice as it would be to get a FO4 settlement type system for our SWTOR strongholds...

"ain't never, never, never, never, gonna happen."

Edited by Kaveat

PAY?? No.

Cartel Coins (or even credits)?!? Hell. No.

Unlockable with additional encryptions /frameworks - Maybe, within reasonable limits it would be doable, and livable.

If people want to throw money at BW for CM unlocks, ok, personal preferences and all... but still needs to be accessible /grindable via normal game play.

As an expansion on the other parts of the topic:

While respective strongholds and guild ships in general were great concepts (in their time), the years have moved on, and so have the expectations.

Some general retrograde remodeling work is needed for usable hook counts in all SH's, most especially the guild ships, and thats not counting the sloppiness of uneven and flat out missing hooks that would balance out a space that needs to be fixed.

Also, 'Mirror Designs" such as the guild ships and capitol worlds (Coruscant / Dromund Kaas) should be actual mirrors, not blatant tilts in hook layouts that favors one faction over another.

We suggested this very thing years ago, and after some behind the scenes muddling around, they ended up removing the 100% decorated requirement from CQ all together.. but never addressed the 100% issue itself.

As nice as it would be to get a FO4 settlement type system for our SWTOR strongholds...

"ain't never, never, never, never, gonna happen."

^ Paying money, credits, or encryptions for more hooks: idc either way, I just want a lot more hooks attainable somehow.

Edited by Willjb

^ Paying money, credits, or encryptions for more hooks: idc either way, I just want a lot more hooks attainable somehow.

That's the idea. Since they havent been moved for 5 years to do it for free, maybe with some $$$ they will...

Edited by BenduKundalini