The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

MODDABLE "orange" quality gear ONLY for levels 1-49, very disapointed :-(

Rheemus

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would disagree as a mid-level database analyst and rogue programmer. This project could be accomplished will relatively little effort, perhaps 1-2 weeks development time plus testing.

The scripts already exist to determine if the item is appropriate for the slot, for example try equipping a pair of gloves in the boot slot. That same logic could be applied to mods with specific attributes. The next task would be to programmatically recreate the lvl 50 artifact gear with slot specific mods and then globally replace every instance of the existing item IDs with the new item IDs.

Except mods don't currently work under that logic. Which means you have to change your single mod to 8 different versions of the single mod, each with a unique ID. Up to 10 different versions for universal mods. That's only 1 step in the process, which is absolutely not simple....and worse, causes massive clutter beyond even the original mod system.

Crafting moddable euipment will become obsolete at lvl 50 without the availability of artifact quality armor mods for both PvE and PvP. Converting all artifact gear to moddable items would help make high-end crafting more viable.

perhaps 1-2 weeks development time plus testing.
You can't really apply your personal "rogue programming" experience to this. There's so much red tape on a project this large even the smallest changes take weeks to complete. Something you could design, code, and then test in two weeks would take much, much longer in a professional environment this large.

First an architect (or architects, though probably just one) creates the design. Modeling, sequence diagrams, etc. Then the design gets passed down to a developer or developers for the actual implementation. Finally, the first draft gets sent out for testing, and will likely come back with bugs, which can start the whole process over again.

And this is just the coding, mind you. If you need a new interface, then you need a designer to whip up a mockup screen, and yet more developers for the actual GUI implementation. So you would have a framework architect and developer(s) for the control, a designer and developer(s) for the interface, perhaps some people from the art department if any new assets need to be created, and maybe a database architect and developer(s) as well.

For sufficiently large projects, sometimes you'll need to create a proof of concept first, which means you take all of the above, get something working, and then start over again with the real thing. If you take into account dependencies on other projects that might not be finished when yours is and upper-management decisions on when to actually release it (e.g. "we'll wait for a major content patch for XYZ reasons"), then any estimates anyone other than a project manager at BioWare could make are not very helpful.

Except mods don't currently work under that logic. Which means you have to change your single mod to 8 different versions of the single mod, each with a unique ID. Up to 10 different versions for universal mods. That's only 1 step in the process, which is absolutely not simple....and worse, causes massive clutter beyond even the original mod system.

Let me clarify, I'm not advocating slot-specific mods for every mod in the game. This project would apply only to lvl 50 artifact gear obtained through PvEPvP, and the mods would become BOP as soon as they are removed from the item.

I will agree that the task is challenging, but it is not impossible.

You can't really apply your personal "rogue programming" experience to this. There's so much red tape on a project this large even the smallest changes take weeks to complete. Something you could design, code, and then test in two weeks would take much, much longer in a professional environment this large.

First an architect (or architects, though probably just one) creates the design. Modeling, sequence diagrams, etc. Then the design gets passed down to a developer or developers for the actual implementation. Finally, the first draft gets sent out for testing, and will likely come back with bugs, which can start the whole process over again.

And this is just the coding, mind you. If you need a new interface, then you need a designer to whip up a mockup screen, and yet more developers for the actual GUI implementation. So you would have a framework architect and developer(s) for the control, a designer and developer(s) for the interface, perhaps some people from the art department if any new assets need to be created, and maybe a database architect and developer(s) as well.

For sufficiently large projects, sometimes you'll need to create a proof of concept first, which means you take all of the above, get something working, and then start over again with the real thing. If you take into account dependencies on other projects that might not be finished when yours is and upper-management decisions on when to actually release it (e.g. "we'll wait for a major content patch for XYZ reasons"), then any estimates anyone other than a project manager at BioWare could make are not very helpful.

Good points, but BioWare has brought issue on themselves and they have the resources to make this happen before the next major content patch.

Wow, really, orange gear not really usable (if you want good gear) at 50?

Why go through all the trouble to make a really cool armor/item system if you just destroy it at 50, where the vast majority of people will spend the vast majority of their time, over the life of this game?

The more I read about this game, the more baffled I am at the design decisions.

You provide a solution to an existing issue in every MMO to date, and then put all kinds of obstacles to using the solution at max level. Not brilliant.

Whats wrong with the epic armor mods barrels and hilts from the daily vender? Sure theyre not the best of the best epic mods but theyre still ranked [51] and the same quality as entry leve 50 epics. All the other mods can be taken out other epics.

All im doing is using mostly mod gear with epic daily mods and taken the mods out of PvP bag reward. I get that you might loose your look after you've got even higher level epics. But its pretty early days for that for most people. Im sure they'll add more custom options soon.

This is the reason I'm in no hurry to get to 50 and the main reason I will end up quitting if its not changed. I hated the clone syndrome in WoW and now even they have added gear that you can restyle to old drops. Star Wars needs to get with it cause my MMO burnout cant handle a lot of disappointments.

This is the reason I'm in no hurry to get to 50 and the main reason I will end up quitting if its not changed. I hated the clone syndrome in WoW and now even they have added gear that you can restyle to old drops. Star Wars needs to get with it cause my MMO burnout cant handle a lot of disappointments.

The lack of an appearance tab is not why I quit. I can understand if they are working on one.

But telling us they are controlling how we look because they don't want to hurt the feelings of their art team... wow.

Wow, really, orange gear not really usable (if you want good gear) at 50?

Why go through all the trouble to make a really cool armor/item system if you just destroy it at 50, where the vast majority of people will spend the vast majority of their time, over the life of this game?

The more I read about this game, the more baffled I am at the design decisions.

You and me both.

I am just happy to see others making a stink about this. I know the mod system is a work in progress, so I am still hopeful that mods will be viable for end game gear. That includes PvP gear.

They don't need an appearance tab they just need to refine the mod system. It's a good system they just need to make it viable with endgame PvE/PvP.

Edited by pixelelement

I would add the fact many armors looks like ... crap =.=

My own example - centurion/champion/battlemaster items have great design [in my opinion of course some people could say they are crappy by their standards of course] but pve gear looks horrible...

They should make a vendors available at lvl 50 so we could easly get any set we want. Those vendoors could sell all available in game set designs as empty orange equipment [similiar to social items vendors], so anybody who like lets say centurion gear could just buy the design and put there his pve or pvp mods, or people that like rakata gear could buy the empty set with that design.

Other way to settle this is creating a cosmetics slots and a proper vendor that would sell all game design sets we could put in cosmetic slot to gain a desired appealing of our avatar.

I do hope bioware will consider creating such system, in the end TOr is one huge Theampark and we should get the possibilities of customising our avatar as we like them [i have great mods but im damn bored of my char design so far.... i would love to use some apperance of centurion or champion gear, but even if i get those items i wont use them since i already got better mods than overall those can provide]

So will everyone in PvP gear look exactly the same based on the Advanced Class and Spec. I play a Jedi Shadow and I really don't like the big heavy shoulder pads look. I want something leaner and lighter and I would only wear the hood if this was the case.

They just need to add a customization slot and that you fill with your desired look. I think the companions have this slot from the security key vendor.

Edited by richardya

So will everyone in PvP gear look exactly the same based on the Advanced Class and Spec. I play a Jedi Shadow and I really don't like the big heavy shoulder pads look. I want something leaner and lighter and I would only wear the hood if this was the case.

They just need to add a customization slot and that you fill with your desired look. I think the companions have this slot from the security key vendor.

Without changes to the current system, everyone won't look exactly the same. You'll likely see some overlap in the 4 pieces of a given favored set that a particular build or AC of a given level 50+ wears. But that still leaves many other slots to be varied. You won't have all the looks you want at complete optimization but, you should have many useful options.

A potential option to add in a big variation is to mod out the orange robe or chest of your choosing with the best possible purple mods coupled with the boots, gloves, pants and headpiece(hidden optionally) for a full 4 piece set bonus. It remains to be seen if custom-tuned BIS mods in an orange piece of gear specifically chosen for your build will be competitive with the off-the-rack non-set bonus statting of set gear. (The flexibility in the chest becomes particularly useful should colormatching be fixed.)

Let me get this straight….as it is today, 1 to 49 gear is going to be useless at 50 AND the only way to get anything better is going to be through raids and raiding content only? So if you don’t want to be a clone, you have to suffer by not having the best gear, and if you want higher level gear you can only get it through group raiding (which I don’t enjoy) but getting it means I will look like every other assassin in the game within a month? Who's the frakin genius that thought this was a good plan? Edited by VladMorbius

Let me get this straight….as it is today, 1 to 49 gear is going to be useless at 50

not useless but, suboptimal

AND the only way to get anything better is going to be through raids and raiding content only?

50+ gear comes from raiding and PvP(?)

So if you don’t want to be a clone, you have to suffer by not having the best gear,

If you demand optimal gear, you will have to share a few pieces with others of the same build. Possibly as few pieces visually as pants, gloves and boots.

and if you want higher level gear you can only get it through group raiding (which I don’t enjoy)

Again, yes basically. I suppose the biteersweet news would be that if you don't intend to do the raiding, you best gear should be able to fully customized visually.

but getting it means I will look like every other assassin in the game within a month?

Not like everyother but, certainly you'll have pieces in common if pursuing full optimization.

Who's the frakin genius that thought this was a good plan?

Consider me among those geniuses, I like the system in general but, would like to see tweaking to keep the statting gap between customized outfits and BIS sets down to a minimum if the stylishly minded player put in the effort to collect the mods and orange gear he or she likes.

Edited by Matte_Black

What's that?

•The Appearance tab has been added. All characters may now access a window that determines the outward appearance of their characters. This Appearance window allows you to equip armor, clothing, and jewelry that do not alter your stats, but instead are simply for show.

Let me get this straight….as it is today, 1 to 49 gear is going to be useless at 50 AND the only way to get anything better is going to be through raids and raiding content only? So if you don’t want to be a clone, you have to suffer by not having the best gear, and if you want higher level gear you can only get it through group raiding (which I don’t enjoy) but getting it means I will look like every other assassin in the game within a month? Who's the frakin genius that thought this was a good plan?

yes...

Me too.

They should make the elite loot a mod in and of themselves that can either be worn as is and look like they do?

Or drop into an orange piece and over write all of the existing mods and basically keep the item stats of the epic gear you earned and the look of your orange items.

They should make the elite loot a mod in and of themselves that can either be worn as is and look like they do?

If they made it like-for-like, ie boots for boots then that's not a bad idea. Very "appearance tab" like but better than being more-or-less forced to wear gear you may not like.