Reworking the ELO rating system for solo rank.

SwtorThrill

There were some ranked teams that could draw out the matches back then. Civil war could have some really long stalemates from what i remember

I don't think we can come to a consensus since at that time there were so many servers; most of what I saw were whole teams getting wrecked pretty quickly. I mean the match would go on for 20 mins LOL

20 mins of the team wiping 20 times 20/20 vison ig

I've seen the YT vids of more balanced scenarios but personally I didn't see that or even hear of that, and I was on the biggest server.

I believe the reason is they didn't/don't want 8 people quin together because they think it's too OP and hard to get 8 very good players to counter a very good team. Hence, why you can't q 8 in regs.

I mean they (The DEVS) saw the full metrics; more than what any one individual would be able to see. Then again sometimes they just do things that don't make sense.

Edited by AocaVII

That's because ELO was never designed to be used in a group setting. It was designed for chess, a 1v1 situation. It can sort of work in teams as long as the team is the same people every time, but any group content that involves the randomness of solo players grouping up is gonna be a problem. Its one of the many reasons why I don't think solo ranked should even exist. Should be group ranked only.

Yep, I don’t think people who advocate ELO understand it’s origins.

Removing it and adding yolo arenas straight up killed pvp guilds. Back then there were dozens of pvp guilds. Now there's 1 or 2 legit ones and the rest are troll groups with like 5 people in them.

There was a long period of time when PVP was flourishing, around the time they finally opened up gearing for PVP and had the PVP vendors with token bought gears, there were tons of PVP guilds and this was during the 4v4 arena ranked days long after the ranked 8s.

As conquest became a bigger part of the game, it seems that took over and PVP guilds seemed to die off around that time, too. Just other changes contributed, not that conquest killed PVP off, but it seems around that time the game design really went into a different direction.

Most PVp guilds were running 3-5 groups at one time in the queues back then, it was pretty fun. In some of the guilds I was in, we'd even end up fighting other guild groups in the queues I always enjoyed those matches the most.

Glad people are keeping the thread alive through discussion, sad it's about group rank though. I really hoped for more support on changing the current solo ranking system. You don't need to support my idea but something has to be done different, right?

I never agree with Trixxie, but I had instances when I got good ranked premades on the other fence and I was solo and with a couple other good players and we won.

I remember a case in point versus an Impulse premade (one of the best and strongest ranked guilds in 2013 on Tofn and top 3 team on the server and Top 10 in all SWTOR at the time). It was a NC game, I back filled the map and they had Vivdom the Guild leader and tactician of the ranked team in this four men Impulse premade. When I back filled they had three turrets we took mid, and then eventually we stole them East and we turned it around and we won 0 - 10. That was a good game. :D

I had another case in point in around early 2012 versus Fubar premade, in TCW.

Fubar was also the strongest team on Tofn around Autumn 2012 with most members coming from the remaining Warmongers who did not flee to GW2 in Summer.

Yep, I don’t think people who advocate ELO understand it’s origins.

ELO is obviously not perfect, but it generally works. There's a reason many competitive online games use it. If you play enough matches in a random setting, you are the only constant. There are times when you cannot win because your teammates hold you back. There are times when you win because your teammates or composition carry you. But there are plenty of games where your performance affects the outcome. That is why all of the decent players can reliably get high ratings season after season. If it were truly all luck like some would have you believe, that would be impossible.

Glad people are keeping the thread alive through discussion, sad it's about group rank though. I really hoped for more support on changing the current solo ranking system. You don't need to support my idea but something has to be done different, right?

I have nothing against the idea, in principle. But I don't see how it would actually lead to an improvement. The main purpose of elo is to balance the teams properly to create fair matches. How would that happen in a system such as yours? And would it actually end up sorting people more accurately?