The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Prices too high

I hate complaining about prices, because I think to some extent the CC has kept the game afloat...

but 3k-4k CC for some of these sets? That is like $40 for an armor, when there are entire premium-PC games that cost less than that. Good luck selling that during this downturn...

Edited by CommanderOtto

I'm inclined to agree it's rather steep, though being cosmetic only I'm not too fussed about it.

If you're looking for a good way to get free CC though, invite some friends with your referral and put it in your forum sig.

It takes patience but it can add up to a lot

I'm sure bean counters at EA pay attention to any drop-off of sales when prices change, and aren't going to commit demand destruction of their own products by pricing themselves entirely beyond the price range of the people purchasing them.

Commodities are only worth what people are willing to pay. That means there are people paying those prices, or the prices would have come down already.

Until widespread demand destruction occurs via very high prices (and EA subsequently reacts to that), the best one can hope for is watching the daily fire sales.

Edited by xordevoreaux

People pay it, some people buy them to sell them on the gtn, some people for themselves. As Xor says, as long as people key the spree going, EA/BW will rub their hands in glee, and keep charging these prices. A nice summer sale would be great though :)

I hate complaining about prices, because I think to some extent the CC has kept the game afloat...

but 3k-4k CC for some of these sets? That is like $40 for an armor, when there are entire premium-PC games that cost less than that. Good luck selling that during this downturn...

quality has gone down along with frequency of quality items - yet in keeping prices high on stuff that isn't new, it is not helping their lack of production, just not a good long term business move

Edited by BlackSilverDawn

quality has gone down along with frequency of quality items - yet in keeping prices high on stuff that isn't new, it is not helping their lack of production, just not a good long term business move

the quantity has gone down, but the quality has gone up, some of the newer armour and mounts are far superior to what they had at the start of the CM. Prices will vary, but it's usually what people will pay, if people didn't pay as much, the prices would come down.

the quantity has gone down, but the quality has gone up, some of the newer armour and mounts are far superior to what they had at the start of the CM. Prices will vary, but it's usually what people will pay, if people didn't pay as much, the prices would come down.

quality has gone up with some. the new Basilisk war droid mount is fantastic and I also love the new TOR version of armor of "The Armorer" from The Mandalorian that is also in that bundle. however that is not most items. for every great set there are a pile of eh *yawn ones that hardly mediocre - that is the stuff should not be overpriced, as people should not be price gauged for the stuff that is not that good

If you don't like the prices, don't pay them.

There's nothing new about really high prices, and 3900 CCs is far from the highest we've seen. If memory serves, the Darth Emo Lightsaber (more properly "Defiant Ventilated", I believe) was 7100 CCs when it first released.

the new Basilisk war droid mount is fantastic

It would be even better if the audio part of the flourish worked.

I agree completely. I understand that they need the money to keep the servers up and running but holy sh*t are some of the items expensive. It's like $12 worth of cartel coins for a weapon. And unless I'm mistaken, I've only bought one piece of armor back 2013 and I don't have it anymore, you only get one of them. But the permanent things like races or hair styles cost no more than $6 in cartel coins. What the f**k is that about? That's like the batteries costing more than the remote. It makes no sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I can guarantee you that if financial analysts from Bioware were to actually do some Elasticity of Demand analysis, then you would see these high prices actually hurt sales.

But I am 100% sure they are just setting the price with "Rule of Thumb". Some guy is thinking about the price, and says "EHH, 40 bucks" and then the manager rubber stamps it.

But I am 100% sure they are just setting the price with "Rule of Thumb". Some guy is thinking about the price, and says "EHH, 40 bucks" and then the manager rubber stamps it.

Don't forget you also have people in here saying, I want x, y, and z, and I'll pay anything to get it. It happens quite a lot.

And when they do put $40 on it, stick it on the CM, how many times is it bought? That's all they see.

quality has gone up with some. the new Basilisk war droid mount is fantastic and I also love the new TOR version of armor of "The Armorer" from The Mandalorian that is also in that bundle. however that is not most items. for every great set there are a pile of eh *yawn ones that hardly mediocre - that is the stuff should not be overpriced, as people should not be price gauged for the stuff that is not that good

And maybe someone can remind them that their rep vendor items could really use a face lift, considering most of it is trash, old or lacking quality. Really, some of these sets could have been amazing for legendary ranks or an extra rank like Mythical or something. Updating vendors adds longevity to events, this isn't new.

If you don't like the prices, don't pay them.

If only it were that simple. Conditioning is part of the whole machine, we voluntarily walk into an interactive market every time we log in. That's something we just have to accept, but the prices of the newest things isn't something we just have to excuse. It's a fair criticism, even if futile. I think telling people if they disagree with the price to not buy it neither helps address the issue, or keeps the eye on the ball. Yes, we have the alternative of the GTN, as ridiculous as that can be when nearly every addition to the CM can easily jump higher than 50m by themselves.

There's nothing new about really high prices, and 3900 CCs is far from the highest we've seen. If memory serves, the Darth Emo Lightsaber (more properly "Defiant Ventilated", I believe) was 7100 CCs when it first released.

Even then, it was out of pocket. We can acknowledge that that was and remains exorbitant to this day. They've shown their hand time and time again and we're still seeing poor quality control on patches, a complete lack of response to input on things related to gameplay, radio silence of feedback to unwanted changes (or OPTIONS) and dripfed content even before the pandemic so I'm 'wondering' where's that influx of revenue going if not reinvesting in the game?

I guess we can agree that its overtly expensive but I hate how 'normal' its become to see it.

And maybe someone can remind them that their rep vendor items could really use a face lift, considering most of it is trash, old or lacking quality. Really, some of these sets could have been amazing for legendary ranks or an extra rank like Mythical or something. Updating vendors adds longevity to events, this isn't new.

I wish, but as it doesn't generate cash for them, they'll probably ignore it :(

I guess we can agree that its overtly expensive but I hate how 'normal' its become to see it.

The reason it's becoming 'normal ' is, people are accepting it. It's like other issues recently, some people spoke out against it, but you had others that said, it doesn't effect me, etc, etc.

It's the same here, to some people $30 on a pixel isn't a lot, especially if they are going to sell it on the gtn.

And now we have the ad bar, shoving CM stuff in our faces, some people spoke out against it, some shrugged, some liked it. Chances are, we're stuck with it, everyone will accept it, BW will go, this idea is brilliant, how else can we profit from it. What wasn't the norm yesterday, is today, what isn't the norm today, could be tomorrow, and so on.

It's the way the game has progressed. It was slow at first, but it's pace has quicked recently.