SWTOR - Vulkan API

rafalgrzpl

I just started playing in SWTOR. But even if my PC is good (4GHZ Ryzen 3600 + RTX 2070 + 16GB RAM) game performance was not to great and also I can't use sharpening from my driver and etc. (because of dx9).

I found this: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases it's adding Vulkan API to SWTOR and making (in my case) performance much better and smoother. Just unpack file open x32 folder and move all dll files to: X:\Star Wars The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient and X:\Star Wars The Old Republic.

Edited by rafalgrzpl

Hmm interesting. I use Vulkan when I play Ghost Recon Breakpoint. It seems to help me out a lot there because that game is very taxing on my system. I don't really have any issues here however if it speeds up my framerates then it's worth giving it a gander. Thanks for the post.

So, for the less sophisticated of us, this is adding some files into our swtor directory. Is it over-writing any game files? Besides using the recommended version number of the video drivers, are there any other pre-requisites?

I suggested they do this in the suggestions thread and people kept telling me it was impossible.

Something like this should show it's very possible.

Tsk. People say that rebuilding the engine to work directly on a new API (especially one as radically different as DX9=>Vulkan) is prohibitively expensive. This thing is an adaptation layer, which will in no way make full use of what Vulkan can do, because SWTOR itself cannot ask for things that Vulkan can do and DX9 cannot.

Tsk. People say that rebuilding the engine to work directly on a new API (especially one as radically different as DX9=>Vulkan) is prohibitively expensive. This thing is an adaptation layer, which will in no way make full use of what Vulkan can do, because SWTOR itself cannot ask for things that Vulkan can do and DX9 cannot.

Ofc is only layer. Is like dx12 in GW2 (https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/releases). You will not have a super performance after - is just smoother, and You can use function like sharpening from Your AMD/NVIDIA drivers. Is a not revloution is little evolution.

And no, is not replaced any files. Is just dx9.dll - like reshade.

Edited by rafalgrzpl

Ofc is only layer. Is like dx12 in GW2 (https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/releases). You will not have a super performance after - is just smoother, and You can use function like sharpening from Your AMD/NVIDIA drivers. Is a not revloution is little evolution.

And no, is not replaced any files. Is just dx9.dll - like reshade.

For sure, but that wasn't my point. Zion said that people keep saying it's impossible, but in fact, a *full integration* would be too expensive to consider ("prohibitively expensive"), so we can't expect the full range of stuff that Vulkan can do. On the other hand, it *can* improve the things you've noted.

So it isn't contradictory to say "we can use Vulkan by this means" combined with "integrating Vulkan fully with SWTOR is too expensive to consider". (Comparing these two things is rather like comparing apples and electric drills.)

That's all I was saying.

I just started playing in SWTOR. But even if my PC is good (4GHZ Ryzen 3600 + RTX 2070 + 16GB RAM) game performance was not to great and also I can't use sharpening from my driver and etc. (because of dx9).

Just for context but which resolution are you running and what do you consider "not too great"? Also which monitor and cable do you use to connect the monitor to the PC?

Edited by Tsillah

4K ,144Hz (so 144fps), displayport, Acer Predator XB273K.

Game is working ok normally (default on dx9 32bit), just sometime not so smooth, after Vulkan 100% smooth everywhere. And for me biggest problem was I can't use sharpening.

And gosh... Guys, if You want USE/TRY Vulkan API layer - just try. For someone will be working beter for some not. I'm not Your enemy here. I just found something, I try this, work for me, so come here to share with You. Some people play in 720p in 30fps and they are happy - that's ok! No need to rating me and how I want play, and what is good for me. Everyone is different.

I just share what I found. That's all! You can ignore, You can try. I don't take money for this, I don't want sell You magic.

That is my last post in this forum. Bye.

Edited by rafalgrzpl

4K ,144Hz (so 144fps), displayport, acer nitro XV273K.

Game is working ok normally (default on dx9 32bit), just sometime not so smooth, after Vulkan 100% smooth everywhere. And for me biggest problem was I can't use sharpening.

And gosh... Guys, if You want USE/TRY Vulkan API layer - just try. For someone will be working beter for some not. I'm not Your enemy here. I just found something, I try this, work for me, so come here to share with You. Some people play in 720p in 30fps and they are happy - that's ok! No need to rating me and how I want play, and what is good for me. Everyone is different.

I just share what I found. That's all! You can ignore, You can try. I don't take money for this, I don't want sell You magic.

That is my last post in this forum. Bye.

Thanks, I'm just a bit confused why you react like this. Nobody is saying your idea is bad but there are just a couple of questions for clarification. Nobody is berating you here from what I could tell.

It's just that when it gets technical it's good to know the specifics that's all.

Edited by Tsillah

I tried it.

8700K, 2080 RTX 16GB, SSD.

Windows 10 2004. 451.22 Nvidia drivers. G-Sync.

First thing I noticed : Windowed fullscreen stutters like HELL with those .dll.

But with Exclusive Fullscreen I fixed it. Also, for some reason, Exclusive fullscreen works like windowed with those .dll. You get background pop sounds, you alt tab instant, etc.

Now, performance and smoothness. Placebo effect IMO. Looked similar. I did 4 warzones with Vulkan and 4 without. Same performance. You put a single Pyro PT and fps goes down => 20 30 fps.

We need some tech-savvy guy to test it. Someone who can benchmark it well, compare frametimes, use Rivatuner RTSS, etc etc.

But I don't expect a miracle with those DLL. Maybe you gain like 5% more performance, tops, or maybe its placebo or even worse.

Edited by roupe