Can we talk about how annoying crew missions are?

SoonerJBD

I really loathe running crew missions while leveling, especially early on when they go quickly. It is beyond annoying to have to take yourself out of the game to keep assigning missions. But wait, you don’t have to run crew missions, you say. Well you do if you want to craft with any of your toons. I really wish there were a way to make the process less annoying.

If companions could sandbox at your strongholds and be rigged for automated crew missions it would certainly make things more convenient. But swtor doesn't work that way and honestly it isn't that bad. I never send comps on missions or craft while leveling or doing story content myself, but I will spend hours doing them in my stronghold of I'm bored or not doing anything else.

I really loathe running crew missions while leveling, especially early on when they go quickly. It is beyond annoying to have to take yourself out of the game to keep assigning missions. But wait, you don’t have to run crew missions, you say. Well you do if you want to craft with any of your toons. I really wish there were a way to make the process less annoying.

But wait, you don't have to run crew missions, even if you're going to craft. The main thing you need to do on any crafting character, is "craft" to increase your level. But you don't actually "need" to level up your gathering or mission disciplines**, especially in the early stages. You can just buy the mats from the GTN, which are quite cheap. Note also that it requires some credits to send your companions on the missions, so the mats aren't 'free' either way.

You may, of course, eventually want to level them up, but there's no hurry.

** Also keep in mind that you can level you 'gathering' by gathering yourself while levelling. You really only need to send your companion out on "mission" disciplines like Underworld Trading, etc, and then only if you need the materials.

Edited by JediQuaker

It is beyond annoying to have to take yourself out of the game to keep assigning missions.

It takes me mere seconds to send 8 companions on crew skill missions at the highest level (grade 11 missions) and a few seconds more if I want to send them on lower level missions. What on earth are you doing that requires you to "take yourself out of the game" to send your companions on crew skill missions? Are you sending your active companion & waiting for him/her to return?

I think they should be overhauled, but this kind of thing is rather common in other MMOs. There really isn't much one can do about it. Maybe increasing the time it takes for the mission to be completed (but in return boost up the rewards) could be one way to do it?

It takes me mere seconds to send 8 companions on crew skill missions at the highest level (grade 11 missions) and a few seconds more if I want to send them on lower level missions. What on earth are you doing that requires you to "take yourself out of the game" to send your companions on crew skill missions? Are you sending your active companion & waiting for him/her to return?

As stated, it is particularly noticeable at early levels where missions take only a minute or two, meaning you are having to pause for 20 seconds to accept mission results and reassign. At higher levels it is not as much of an issue because the missions take so much longer.

I think they should be overhauled, but this kind of thing is rather common in other MMOs. There really isn't much one can do about it. Maybe increasing the time it takes for the mission to be completed (but in return boost up the rewards) could be one way to do it?

This would be my preference. Let earlier missions take longer but provide more leveling to the skill and more mats per mission. Make them fee more like higher level missions so you aren’t pausing after every pull to send companions out again.

But wait, you don't have to run crew missions, even if you're going to craft. The main thing you need to do on any crafting character, is "craft" to increase your level. But you don't actually "need" to level up your gathering or mission disciplines**, especially in the early stages. You can just buy the mats from the GTN, which are quite cheap. Note also that it requires some credits to send your companions on the missions, so the mats aren't 'free' either way.

You may, of course, eventually want to level them up, but there's no hurry.

** Also keep in mind that you can level you 'gathering' by gathering yourself while levelling. You really only need to send your companion out on "mission" disciplines like Underworld Trading, etc, and then only if you need the materials.

But wait... mats are expensive, genius.

Thhis has been broughr up a few times, one of the solutions was that when you accept the reward, there's a button that will say accept, and resend, or something along those lines, so that you can just hit a button and quickly go back to what you were doing. Obviously, you won't be able to do that on the quests you buy, and it's not automatically in the list.

But if it was something they could do, it would help a bit.

I'd categorize this as a minor irritant - not something that I would prioritize highly.

That said, even something like an auto accept setting and / or ability to increase cost / time of mission in return for more skill points would be an improvement.