What Keeps You Playing SWTOR?

Ylliarus

Request: this thread is meant as an expression of positive attitudes towards SWTOR. Any negativity can be expressed in other threads, not this one. Keep it positive, friendly and most of all, be respectful!

The thing that keeps me playing SWTOR is the story, or better said the stories. The class stories for example give me exactly the narrative entertainment I am looking for in a game, especially an MMORPG. Not only are they personal experiences that you can customize to your own design, but they make me feel like a hero in Star Wars, which is what I have always wanted to be since I fell in love with Star Wars back when I was a child. The stories of SWTOR are also fully voiced, by both the PC and the NPCs, which is something you rarely see in MMORPGs. And - barring KotFE and KotET - they're simply amazingly written, in my opinion!

I also keep playing the game because of what it means to me. This game has been an escape to me from daily life when I needed it and it always managed to help me feel better or take my mind off of things. Other games and MMOs haven't been able to do that as well as SWTOR does.

Nostalgia is also a huge factor in why I keep playing and most importantly, keep replaying many parts of the game, the class stories in particular. I will never forget the first time I started playing this game back in 2012. I was mesmerised by it and I remain mesmerised until this day :D I call this feeling the SWTOR feel, as I can't exactly describe it but there is just a very unique feel about this game that keeps me logging in every day, it's amazing. Other MMOs like ESO or Guild Wars 2 haven't been able to invoke that same feeling within me.

And well, the fact that the game is Star Wars also plays a huge rule in why I keep logging every day. There isn't any big Star Wars MMO out there at the moment and even if there was, I am pretty sure I'd keep coming back to SWTOR. There is simply no other game like this one :D

So, what about other people? What are other players' reasons to keep playing SWTOR? What makes you want to log in every day? What makes you return to SWTOR after having played other games or MMOs for a while? I am curious to hear what other players have to say!

Edited by Ylliarus

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, the story in general but all the class stories, SoR because of Theron, i like replaying KOTFEET with my JK (and her army of clones) too.

I like replaying the different romances i like too.

And well being a hero i can mostly customize to my likings in the SW universe is also something that draws me to the game.

And mostly now Theron, and the Theron romance with my JK, i really can't get enough of that romance, and always want more.

Why indeed ??

** Fixed income (retired) .. soooo I pick one of the best. (Have to make choices on how to spend $$$). Settled here.

** SW theme: ( STO ST theme is not so good … have a LTS and don't use it)

** Finally have enough credits in the bank to actually enjoy playing the game. Like it or not … it does take quite a few from time to time... ( though not required ) .. but for some of the things I enjoy … needed.

** Strongholds : I really enjoy them. I don't have all of them and have no intention of getting Yavin 4 / Rishi or the new Alderaan. (still waiting to see if that space station happens). And YES even in a MMO I save my credits … pick and choose when, how and on what to spend them. Sooo I'll just keep saving those credits and see what happens. Yeah to me it's worth the wait. (personal preference in life too).

** Companions that (we use to ) have a lot more fun with. Hopefully this will return. Hey don't laugh … CQ got a major overhaul and a GOOD one at that. sooo Yeah .. I'm still looking at that glass that is still half full. ( new companions .. for me Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress) … OR maybe more customizable feature for the ones we have ??? Just a thought .. Anything is possible.

** Forum buds … Yeah I know this ones really over the top in the (seriously) corn ball section. ( Some of you will figure that one out ! ) :D

** There are always possibilities. Never give up on that. Even if we get discouraged (and that happens too) … always sit down and try to think it through.

**** EDIT: Oh … and the stories are pretty good too … ****

IMO this MMO is a far cry from done / dead. With that in mind I still look to the future for the possibilities.

Edited by OlBuzzard

Story and the "Choose your own adventure" aspect combined with the Darkside/Lightside influence. I really like the idea of exploring as well I just wish there was more to explore. Beasts and Droids are a huge part of Star Wars that I like as well...Kinda wish they would add a bit more in that regard.

I want to see Krayt Dragons on Tatooine..that sort of thing.

Hm, the story in general but all the class stories, SoR because of Theron, i like replaying KOTFEET with my JK (and her army of clones) too.

I like replaying the different romances i like too.

And well being a hero i can mostly customize to my likings in the SW universe is also something that draws me to the game.

And mostly now Theron, and the Theron romance with my JK, i really can't get enough of that romance, and always want more.

Yes, I definitely feel you on the story part! Maybe not entirely regarding KotFEET, but hey, everyone likes or dislikes different things and that's okay :D

But yes, exactly! You can play a hero in Star Wars (or a villain, depending on the point of view) and customize their story to your liking. And there are a lot of different ways to go about the hero's or villain's tale, especially in the class stories. It's why I love rerunning the class stories so much, creating new toons and pushing them up from Tython or Korriban or Hutta or Ord Mantell up until Corellia and their class story's conclusion.

And contrary to popular opinion, the Jedi Consular story will always hold a special place in my heart. It was the first class I made back in 2012 and the first story I played. I absolutely, sincerely and thoroughly loved it and I do until this day :D

The stories of SWTOR are indeed the primary reason why I want to keep playing the game! And sure, I'll bite, Theron Shan may indeed be a factor in why I enjoy the stories ;P

Star Wars and the atmosphere, particularly of the vanilla stories and surroundings.

The game, like all games, has issues but I would say that if this wasn't Star Wars, I might not have come back as many times as I have. BioWare have made just a few too many mistakes and some of them avoidable. I'm glad the game survived and is still alive, but also think it could've done a lot better. But yeah, it is Star Wars and actually I should mention the voice acting as well. It ranges from decent to very good indeed. It really adds to making things feel engaging and drawing you into the stories and the world.

Star Wars and the atmosphere, particularly of the vanilla stories and surroundings.

The game, like all games, has issues but I would say that if this wasn't Star Wars, I might not have come back as many times as I have. BioWare have made just a few too many mistakes and some of them avoidable. I'm glad the game survived and is still alive, but also think it could've done a lot better. But yeah, it is Star Wars and actually I should mention the voice acting as well. It ranges from decent to very good indeed. It really adds to making things feel engaging and drawing you into the stories and the world.

Yes, absolutely! The atmosphere in the class stories as well as that of the surroundings are just amazing! It's what made me fall in love with the game and they spark that "SWTOR feeling" I speak of. I can't describe it in words, but it's just a feeling unique to SWTOR when I play it. It's amazing :D

But you do make a fair point, yeah. Bioware did make a few decisions regarding SWTOR that I disagree with as well. Primarily I disagree with the decision to go into the story direction that they did with KotFE and KotET. To this day I think they did a lot of damage to the game's setting with it. I recall that after chapter 16 of KotFE was released and I had finished playing through it, I came close to quitting the game for a while. I still ended up going on a break from the game and replayed the Mass Effect trilogy. Yet afterwards I came back to SWTOR and was immediately enthralled by it again when I replayed the class stories while ignoring KotFE.

So yeah, I can definitely imagine why you feel what you feel. KotFE and KotET didn't really feel like Star Wars to me, especially not like a logical continuation of SWTOR's main story. It was what pushed me away from the game for a bit, so I can imagine that if this game wasn't Star Wars, I might not have stayed as long as now. It's why I have fallen in love with the game again now that the story feels like Star Wars and SWTOR again :) so I definitely see where you're coming from!

Yes, I definitely feel you on the story part! Maybe not entirely regarding KotFEET, but hey, everyone likes or dislikes different things and that's okay :D

But yes, exactly! You can play a hero in Star Wars (or a villain, depending on the point of view) and customize their story to your liking. And there are a lot of different ways to go about the hero's or villain's tale, especially in the class stories. It's why I love rerunning the class stories so much, creating new toons and pushing them up from Tython or Korriban or Hutta or Ord Mantell up until Corellia and their class story's conclusion.

And contrary to popular opinion, the Jedi Consular story will always hold a special place in my heart. It was the first class I made back in 2012 and the first story I played. I absolutely, sincerely and thoroughly loved it and I do until this day :D

The stories of SWTOR are indeed the primary reason why I want to keep playing the game! And sure, I'll bite, Theron Shan may indeed be a factor in why I enjoy the stories ;P

There are things i don't really like in KOTFEET, some chapters are a bit boring or force me to go with a companion i don't like, some other have the walkers in them, which i find particularly annoying.

Maybe i enjoyed KOTFEET mostly because by the end of their class stories, none of my main characters were fully happy with where they were at the time (imps more than pubs though) and it felt like a nice continuation for them.

Then my main is a JK and i always intended for her to go in that kind of direction, being a bit dissatisfied with the Jedi Order and the Republic, but not to the point of turning against them, being tired of the constant war and trying to find a nice place to settle with the person she loves, and with other people who feel the same way. So for her, KOTFEET + really felt like a natural continuation. The fact she's worked quite closely with more pragmatic Sith like Scourge, Lana and Marr made her realise that with more Sith like them, maybe there could be peace.

Which is also why i'm really glad we had the choice to fully rejoin our faction or stay independant with the Alliance, because being forced back, would've been completely off for her. And well my other main characters all have their reasons to be happier with the Alliance too.

Well and the Theron romance is also one of the main appeal to KOTFEET for me.

But i still find new things to try out in the class stories, i've recently started a JK that i play as DS. It doesn't really make sense to me, but i can discover new dialogue option that i've never seen before. I don't know yet if this one will become a saboteur or will turn ou t to be a loyalist who'd go as DS as she has to to protect the Republic, i'll see depending on how the DS playthrough plays out i guess.

Well, i'll admit, the JC's story is one of my least favourite. There are some interesting pieces of lore, some nice moments, but overall i find that story somewhat boring.

I've a lot of Shadows, because they're the best to grind Heroics for credits with their stealth and pub side is where you have the highest number of H you can stealth through, but i usually just lvl them through H and skip the story with most of them. As for their crew, i don't think there's a companion i dislike, but none of them are among my favourites either.

Another thing that slightly bothers me too is that i feel like prologue + chapter 1 and chapter 2 + 3 seem a bit diconnected at times, which make it seems like they could be played by 2 different characters and feel the same.

I'd probably put the JC above the smuggler though in term of story

Edited by Goreshaga

My first instinct is to reach for the content that I enjoy the most. I will play an absolutely obscene amount of flashpoints just because I enjoy playing them. I love playing operations with my guildies. I thoroughly enjoy the original class stories and get a kick out of great lines of dialogue that I'd somehow never seen before or just plain forgot about.

But those are what I keep playing, and not why I keep playing. I keep on going because of the insane amount of characters they allow us to make here. Same old class story, hammer station, eternity vault, black hole, they all feel fresh to me again when I just created an interesting new character. :D

Edited by cyrusramsey

This is the only MMO that I keep coming back to...

Mostly because I'm fascinated by Star Wars, and the class stories (which is weird because I usually like gameplay more then the Story in most games). Love being able to dress up my character as well as their companions, love how many alts we can get as well.

Love that the class stories can be repeated (my characters are usually more complicated then simple light and dark).

Love the Legacy system, as well as how cheap the game can be. I also haven't even come close to completing the expansions (my most advanced character still hasn't began Iokath).

…Just so much to work on and do!

Edited by ImputantRage

Yes, absolutely! The atmosphere in the class stories as well as that of the surroundings are just amazing! It's what made me fall in love with the game and they spark that "SWTOR feeling" I speak of. I can't describe it in words, but it's just a feeling unique to SWTOR when I play it. It's amazing :D

But you do make a fair point, yeah. Bioware did make a few decisions regarding SWTOR that I disagree with as well. Primarily I disagree with the decision to go into the story direction that they did with KotFE and KotET. To this day I think they did a lot of damage to the game's setting with it. I recall that after chapter 16 of KotFE was released and I had finished playing through it, I came close to quitting the game for a while. I still ended up going on a break from the game and replayed the Mass Effect trilogy. Yet afterwards I came back to SWTOR and was immediately enthralled by it again when I replayed the class stories while ignoring KotFE.

So yeah, I can definitely imagine why you feel what you feel. KotFE and KotET didn't really feel like Star Wars to me, especially not like a logical continuation of SWTOR's main story. It was what pushed me away from the game for a bit, so I can imagine that if this game wasn't Star Wars, I might not have stayed as long as now. It's why I have fallen in love with the game again now that the story feels like Star Wars and SWTOR again :) so I definitely see where you're coming from!

Ummm ..

Just for the record some of us were OK with KotFE / ET as far as the story was concerned. It definitely felt like SW .. with a few things that might have been overlooked. Some of the elements of the story actually began with Revan and Tenebrae was actually back to when we rescued Revan from the prison : FP Maelstrom Prison.

JK encounters Scourge .. and Scourge is taken to the Jedi council for a more detailed debriefing thereby revealing the eventual conflict with Vitiate (Tenebrae).

What REALLY did hurt the entire process:

** the content drought (probably spent too much time on the afore mentioned KotFE / ET

** the consolidation of all 8 class stories

** the immediate elimination of ALL previous companions..w/o any explanation or warning (some players had just recently spent tons of credits maxing out said associates at a time when credits were much harder to come by).

*** other decisions which were evident that some streamlining was done due to cost savings.

That said: we can't undo the past. BW (IMO) has learned from it. It takes time to lay a good, solid foundation for the next story. IMO … that's where we are right now. We're just seeing the beginning of what will be the next major conflict / major players … etc.

BTW.. I did appreciate your earlier insight on the possible leader of the Empire .. very interesting really.

Now is a good time to begin introducing the next group of major players for both the Republic and the Empire. Yes .. I do agree that that would be a good focal point. This is a great opportunity to introduce:

** new leaders ( both sides)

** begin to lay a foundation in dealing with the fate of the alliance (please remember that players really like that 3rd option and subsequent independence.)

** new factions that might arise ( new smuggling rings / pirates … etc)

** New class (maybe) … :D

In any case … this a fantastic time to be playing the game. It should be really interesting to see where we go from here !!!

Don't know about you .. but I'm eagerly waiting to see !

Just for the record some of us were OK with KotFE / ET as far as the story was concerned. It definitely felt like SW ..
There are people that are ok with it and enjoy(ed) it. Not me personally but that's always going to be subjective. What's not subjective is that too many people didn't like it. And although people like to talk about plot holes, I prefer to talk about plot faults. Not going into them here but what irked me most were the inconsistencies, illogical story steps and the overuse of certain story mechanics (like character deaths). Especially when you are the type of person who's more analytical with an eye for detail, these things stick out and cannot be unseen.

True, the Zakuul atmosphere was not something that felt Star Warsy to me but that could've been ok for me if it didn't have so many issues with the story telling itself.

Don't know about you .. but I'm eagerly waiting to see !
I would be too, if it weren't for one problem. The current story line has no overarching story anymore. So the main events do NOT turn out the same on either side (faction) of the story. I find that a real issue because I have toons on both side that I would like to be part of the same story. Now that's no longer the case and that makes me not care about the story anymore.

A real shame because if I'd only played one faction and never played the other side I would find it enjoyable. So when 6.0 came out and I played the imp side first I thought it was great. Then when I started playing my rep characters through I realized it wasn't the same story anymore because the main events had opposite outcomes. I really wish they hadn't done that cause the story itself had been a lot better since Ossus. Now I wish I hadn't played my rep characters through it.

Edited by Tsillah

I would be too, if it weren't for one problem. The current story line has no overarching story anymore. So the main events do NOT turn out the same on either side (faction) of the story. I find that a real issue because I have toons on both side that I would like to be part of the same story. Now that's no longer the case and that makes me not care about the story anymore.

A real shame because if I'd only played one faction and never played the other side I would find it enjoyable. So when 6.0 came out and I played the imp side first I thought it was great. Then when I started playing my rep characters through I realized it wasn't the same story anymore because the main events had opposite outcomes. I really wish they hadn't done that cause the story itself had been a lot better since Ossus. Now I wish I hadn't played my rep characters through it.

That's my major issue with the latest storylines.

Up till the end of the Traitor arc, all my main chars could live in the same universe, all i had to do was pick the same choices in KOTFEET+ and i ended up with the same outcome.

And that's not possible anymore. This is seriously annoying to me, as my imps are far less enjoyable now considering their story contradict my JK's story, who is my "canon" Outlander/Commander.

Edited by Goreshaga

[/snip]

Believe it or not … on this point we agree ! :eek:

Both sides can't have a decisive victory !

IMO .. there really needs a good reconciliation with the story lines.

With the Republic successfully repelling the Empire … and Malgus on the loose ( he's still alive by ALL accounts) …

That just means that the Republic is licking its wounds and will be months cleaning up behind the well orchestrated attack by Malgus / Empire.

I agree … the writters need to clean this one up while they have the opportunity. Who knows.. maybe the attack was a ruse. Just something to side track the right people while something else was stolen?? If the Empire withdraws after a devastating blow to the Republic (causing huge damage to the ship yard ) and steal something that was seemingly unimportant .. BUT NECESSARY for Malgus … then we have a whole new story! What a better way to cover up what the real target was.

IMO... that could be a very real possibility.

I know … I know …. that's why I'm waiting.

For me it's a combination of several things...

1) Agency / Purpose

I enjoy playing alts b/c I play them RP-wise differently. It's true that the outcome may be the same in terms of ultimate story arc but I enjoy the journey.

To wit:

I'm very, very capable of separating myself from characters. I have a complete bat guano crazy anarchist operative who is romancing Kaliyo. I have a complete goody two-shoes (to the point of annoying) jedi knight. I have both male and female characters romancing Theron and Lana. Hell, I even have one now romancing Khem Val and one banging Scourge. And I've done (and do) everything in between. (Don't ask for details, you really don't want to know.) :eek:

I'm about to commit heresy here...

I like defining my character's personality. The heresy part is...I found it really difficult to get in to Witcher 3. I recognized the brilliance of mechanics, and story, but I found the actual Witcher to be too much. I'm not saying it was badly written, it's more like, I grew up liking New Order, Depeche Mode, and Erasure so not really into Hip Hop. I recognize the talent of Hip Hop artists, but it's just not my thing.

To compound the point, I hate the Fed Ex quests in others games with no meaningful purpose. So, for example, in ESO (a game I play and subscribe to) I hate the side quests where some stranger suddenly trusts me to deliver a letter to his beloved. The side quests in SWTOR are still purposeful.

2) Combat Fluidity / Class Differentiation

I know some call for new classes, but I can't really think of what more they can add. Classes and even sub-classes are pretty distinct. I enjoy pushing the limits on different classes on harder content.The combat also seem to flow well. I love ESO but a lot of the classes play the same way.

3) Constantly proving to people how much more brilliant I am on the forums, which (as you know) I do with ease.

:rak_03:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Because it's Star Wars!

But I play for the stories. I enjoy them all for the most part. I play it like I would any other single player game. I'll play the stories from start to finish. Some characters I'll keep to continue through story updates, some I'll delete and re-roll. Not really into endgame or group stuff, but I'll help folks with missions or FP's if they ask.