The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

magnuskn

For the record, this thread goes back like 2 years and 25+k posts and originally spawned from a comment where a dev basically said they did not think appearance tabs would be needed. Since then, their inclusion of different system says all that needs to be said. Maybe you want to argue their points with them but, I'd rather they be developing rather than debating game design options they passed on with forum posters.

I just want to play with a tried & true proven appearance customization system that works, not be part of a large trial & error experiment as I pay to beta test their Orange Item mod system.

Are these crafted crit Orange items the evolution of what we used to have in beta, the modulators that we used to be allowed to add to Orange items so they have the same number of modification slots as a piece of purple gear?

Why are we still dealing with an experimental system on appearance customization that still is not ready 3 months after the launch of the game?

I'd like the devs to develop the game rather than debate with us here on the forums, but it seems our Devs can do neither of those things well anyways. They fail in so many ways. :p

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So BioWare took a drastic stance against appearance tabs.

They were arrogant about it, acting like they were better than "lazy, boring, easy, too simple" A-tabs cause they have something better in place.

When will this better thing than a-tabs be in SWTOR? If you're gonna act like that BioWare, it should be cause you have more than just words to back up your arrogance & bragging.

Yeah, BioWare's unfounded arrogance bugs me. I expected something better than an a-tab from BioWare, this brand new & completely innovative item modification system, but it's been a broken mess for 3 months.

There is just simply not enough item modification distribution as regular quest loot & rewards. My level 42 Bounty Hunter has something like 20 pieces of prized Orange gear that all look very cool, cause lets face it Bounty Hunter armor is the only armor in this game that looks cool, but no matter what I do I never can get enough mods to fill up all my gear slots with current level mods.

An A-tab solved a problem that BioWare has mistakenly & noobishly repeated as a past failure of MMO's, it allowed you to wear whatever gear you want & have the best stats in the game for your current level, if you also had the BiS gear for your level. You had to deal with 2 sets of gear, but it was not a problem that held back anyone from ever using an a-tab.

Now BioWare went backwards in MMO development, taking that freedom to dress your MMO characters however you want them to look back away from the playerbase. Good job, BioWare.

I wanted that thing that you got that's better than an appearance tab & that other thing you have that's better than armor dyes, where they at?

Edited by Tricky-Ha

Why is it that even without an a-tab here in SWTOR, my characters are still carrying around 2 or more sets of armor in my inventory at all times?

What's going on is that my BH character at lvl 42 is wearing a cool looking set of armor that's all nearly the same chrome colors...

-green lvl 42 helmet

-green lvl 40 chest

-green lvl 40 pants

-orange a41,m38,e42 gloves

-purple lvl 38 bracers w/lvl 40 augment

-orange a38,m40,e41 boots

...then in my inventory I have lots of other pieces of gear, mostly my Taris commendation Merc armor set, my lvl 40 PVP armor set & other purple & orange pieces for me & my companions in need of upgraded mods.

So even without an a-tab here in SWTOR, I'm facing the same problem on gear management that I have faced in nearly every other MMO I've played. I guess it's not a major problem, BioWare never claimed that their gear system would mean that we'd get to carry around less gear in our inventory.

I'll be relieved when the changes finally come in March & I hope the patch drops at the beginning of the month. I'll be able to use some of the other 10 or more pieces of orange gear that I have stored in my ship's cargo hold. I wanted to wear them, but it just cost too much to upgrade all of their mods & the colors of the armor pieces didn't match with anything else I had.

I am a lewt hoar & BioWare has created some pretty decent looking set of Bounty Hunter armor. I've got some nice sets, but there's still so much more out there I want, even the Rakata, Columni & Tionese ugly crappity endgame gear just so I can rip the mods out.

I'll bet the goldsink cost for ripping out endgame item mods will be massive, like massive.

So after that patch, I'll end up carrying ever more gear around in my inventory, I'll have to go ahead & buy up that 50k credit inventory expansion.

Does any one of you kind people here want to be my item mod crafter & best friend on the Lord Adrass server? I need some help, I've got alot of cool looking orange gear that needs to be turned into crit-crafted oranges with augment slots. :o

No? :(

Then I guess it's time to work on a alt character crafter. Maybe the Legacy features will offer some benefits to Legacy family crafting, inventory space management, bind on account for my oranges & purples.

....waiting for March....:csw_fett:

Edited by Tricky-Ha

Why are we still dealing with an experimental system on appearance customization that still is not ready 3 months after the launch of the game?

Pretty sure the short answer is that BioWare underestimated how an MMO community would game the mod system and had to revise it late in the process. I like their mod system and see it about to offer all the appearance options other systems would have minus the uninvested one-click changes that aren't universally wanted.

I personally have enjoyed my time in the game and see everything falling into place but, I went into the game with my eyes open and can be a pretty tolerant of such things.

If you don't like bugs and lack of refinement, don't be an early adopter. It's just how these games and just about any product work(Cars, broadway plays, smart phones). Take a look at the game after 1.2 and you'll see the truth in it.

hello old friend.

Signed especially with the new Augment slot on orange crit items. Now instead of everyone running around in PvP/PvE sets everyone will be running around in the lowest level crit orange gear making all other forms of gear completely useless.

GG Bioware.

Orange gear is only good for modifying gear.

We need an APPEARANCE TAB.

When we start criting on orange gear for augment slots all other gear immediately becomes useless. Raid gear just becomes a treasure trove for mods and nothing else.

Orange gear is only good for modifying gear.

When we start criting on orange gear for augment slots all other gear immediately becomes useless. Raid gear just becomes a treasure trove for mods and nothing else.

How about we wait and see how the improvements to modding, color-matching and social gear impact appearance customization before we return to beating the same old drum for appearance tab inclusion that is NOWHERE on the radar for inclusion in this game.

How about we wait and see how the improvements to modding, color-matching and social gear impact appearance customization before we return to beating the same old drum for appearance tab inclusion that is NOWHERE on the radar for inclusion in this game.

In beta all gear could be modified. Then near the end Bio changed it so that only orange could be modified and you had limited modifications in purple gear. Beta testers told them that this system would make orange gear meaningless at 50 if the mods in set gear were locked.

Bioware refused to change the system saying their new system was superior.

Did we need to wait and see what happens to know that locked mods in gear sets would make orange gear meaningless? No, we knew what would happen and currently no one with set gear uses orange gear. And right now Bioware is reversing nearly every change they made to gear modifications.

If crafters can make orange gear with augment slots and we are able to take out all mods and transfer those mods and set bonuses to orange gear, no one will use anything but orange crit gear. No retaining the look of set gear, no using social gear; at end game, and probably most of sub 50, everyone will want and only use orange crit gear.

7 x 28 = 175 points, end game would you give up that much of your main stat to retain a look?

Edited by illgot

Where's the HUE TO CHEST news from this Guild Summit? No video demonstration of how it looks & works. It's not been dropped, has it?

Finally Emmanuel talks about color matching, he didn't say much tho besides that it's still going to be kinda sketchy looking, more or less.

New info for colormatch!

Each armor/outfit piece can be individually toggled on/off.

More great info on colormatch, sounds good & it's a shame so many quitters quit too soon to be able to see it. I'm quitting until whenever in Hell the 1.2 patch finally drops in April, so color match & Legacy content is all 1.2 has that'll bring me back. I hope that stuff works when it reaches live.

Optional Colour matching is a good step.

Now they just need to create an appearance tab. There are a lot of great Green/blue/purple items out there that I would love to use for appearances. Bioware said in beta that there would be an orange equivalent to every green item out there... I do not see why that has to be the case.

Create an appearance tab and we don't have to swamp our crafter list with thousands of orange recipe items.

Have they specified how much more orange gear is going to be implemented at 1.2?

The lack of choice in appearance is disturbing to say the least. At least one of my good friends unsubbed because of the bad looking gear he had available to choose from. I'm getting sick of seeing cool gear not being customizable or in any way viable.

Optional Colour matching is a good step.

Now they just need to create an appearance tab. There are a lot of great Green/blue/purple items out there that I would love to use for appearances. Bioware said in beta that there would be an orange equivalent to every green item out there... I do not see why that has to be the case.

Create an appearance tab and we don't have to swamp our crafter list with thousands of orange recipe items.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I believe Damon Schubert may have actually been gushing during the summit livestream when talking about how much they love their crafting system.

Have they specified how much more orange gear is going to be implemented at 1.2?

The lack of choice in appearance is disturbing to say the least. At least one of my good friends unsubbed because of the bad looking gear he had available to choose from. I'm getting sick of seeing cool gear not being customizable or in any way viable.

My recollection was that they were unlocking more designs as orange schematics, social clothing would be available in more armor types (not sure if they meant new designs or making the old ones variable) and that high tier armors could have their mods removed for use in orange gear with set bonuses included on the armoring panel. They did not give any real numbers on how much but, seems like viable looks per class at 50 should increase dramatically.

Edited by Matte_Black

Well for one, they said even the "set bonus"es of high end gear will be removable to insert in a different orange gear of the same slot. If we had some more craftable orange gear models this would solve the case. But there are many empty orange gear schematics in the game already (well for one I found lots with Underworld Trading).

I don't know if there's going to be much more orange gear introduced in 1.2, but there is one thing that made me cautiously more excited: the fact that orange gear will have their armour type (light, medium, heavy) removed, allowing all orange gear to be worn by anyone.

This is a huge step in improving gear appearance choices. The fact that the Consular can now wear a Smuggler's leather coat, a Smuggler can wear a Trooper's chestplate, and a Knight can wear a Consular's robe and still be viable just tripled our appearance choices. All that we need to do now is wait to see if this is enough, or if we still need more orange gear.

Okay, who am I kidding? There's no such thing as "enough."

All I want is for my character to be able to:

Wash the grime off his face.

Grow a beard, or shave a goatee.

Change his haircolor and get a haircut.

Change facial jewelry and makeup color.

Is

That

Too

Much

To

Ask?