The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

magnuskn

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, 1.2 in March is the latest Messiah patch; it will fix everything that is wrong with this game. :rolleyes: At least, that's what the devs want us to believe. Of course, they didn't actually say what the changes will be on any of the topics coming, just that they will be changes. Anyone who has been watching knows better than to take their "it will be a better version" statements without a whole Dead Sea of salt. The word "better" in BW marketing speak usually means "changes that make everyone scratch their heads and wonder if the devs are even on this planet".

Did everyone notice that even their new and improved ("better") match to chest is going to be followed by more changes? Yup, they are releasing an incomplete feature that will be changed again.

That is not really what I am getting out of their statement.

and there are more customization and quality of life improvements along those lines hot on its heels.

From my point of view the above seems to refer more to customization in general such as allowing us to remove barrels, hilts and armoring mods from purple armor. I really have no reason to believe that they are in fact referring to once again changing the hue system after implementing it.

The below statement is not targeted at anyone in specific.

I understand some of us don't have much faith in Bioware with some of the changes they make but I do think they are trying. For example, Bioware after the outcry over the GCD UI changes will now allow us to tailor it to our own preferences and they could have easily caved in to one segment of the playerbase but instead they are going to give us an option. And yes, there are plenty of things wrong in this game but I do think the bad sides are exaggerated. I find it rather unfortunate that the bad nowadays seems to outweigh the good and I do believe it hurts the MMO market. I don't think any MMO will ever be seen as good again until enough are willing to accept nothing can ever be completely perfect.

I believe that Bioware is more than certainly showing the willingness to make changes and I do think what they want to do in regards to customization is a good step. In my eyes customization will be perfect once most armor can be adopted and I don't really need an appearance tab anymore for this.

Just adding my support for cosmetic gear slots/dyeing/transmogrification type appearance customisations options - haircuts, etc. are nice too but gear customisation would be really good. We do get some options for this through moddable armour but expanding on that would be great - everyone has an idea of what their character 'should' or would look like and it's nice to be able to accommodate that. Plus it can be fun to change outfits for different situations, seasons, etc.

Probably been mentioned before, but as for character customization...

Can we fix the options so that they're in the same order for every race/class? For example, there's 16 (I think) faces for female characters that are shared across most of the races, but many races have them in a different order to give the illusion that they're different choices.

Sure it fools some people, but it's shady and annoying for people that are looking for a specific look.

I logged in twice yesterday. Both times I logged back out after about 30 seconds and returned to the forums. I am just burned out on looking at characters in ugly, mismatched, clipping gear, blurry and blobbed textures, Brown, brown, and more brown, stupid eyebrows that were necessary because I didn't want goggle marks or street-walker makeup or other pointlessly linked customizations, broken GTN interface and searches (when only a small fraction of the orange gear actually comes up when you filter for it, that is broken) with non-functional sorting and no true search, hotbars and ugly UI elements cluttering everything and overlapping each other, empty, lifeless worlds with the occasional statue-like NPC and no other visible players (unless I'm standing at the gtn), two completely different gear systems that don't work together, and, well, I'm just sick of it.

This game was supposed to be this great thing. It was BW and SW. What we got was a half-finished game with the whole bunch of heavily re-used voice-overs.

Great, they're adding back the color match, Now all of my gear that is currently in 6 shades of tan can all be 1 shade of tan! Maybe if they have it apply to weapons the perma-clipping guns sticking through my jacket on both hips will be less noticeable.

They look like heroes to the uninformed; "wow, look at all this stuff they are doing so soon after launch". But it's stuff they took out and are just putting back. Too bad the putting it back doesn't include all of that gear or those titles or the high-rez textures that they had in the game before launch.

Of course, we all know that when they do add these things in they will break something else. Buy hey, whats more down time during my prime play-time for a patch for the patch. (Yes, I know, my prime time isn't the overall prime time; doesn't change the fact that it is always during my prime play time. At least if they split NA and EU down times (a no brainer that doesn't even make sense not to do since the servers are actually in different physical locations on the planet) it would make the EU players happy and I'd have an alternate place to play when they do bring them down. . .

Too many things that all add up to me being fed-up with BW Austin. So, no, I have no faith in anything they said about what is coming. If I'm wrong, I'll admit as much when the time comes. But BW Austin has given me absolutely no reason to have any faith in anything they say or do.

As my sig says: Not a hater, just a disillusioned and disappointed fan.

...yeah, I feels that, Vod. I'm gonna let my sub drop soon, wait on significant changes before coming back.

I picked the colors of these gear pieces myself, was lucky to get a sorta RASTA-thingy going on with the colors, but it's not the color scheme I'd personally have for this armor set if I had a choice.

Edited by Tricky-Ha

Nice and simple, appearance tab really would be for the win. I understand it might undermine what has been done so far with orange gear, but I am sure something could be figured out to accomodate crafters. The main reason I'd like to have an appearance tab is that they're flexible, you can have different appearances for different situations without having to have multiple sets of gear on you.

"broken GTN interface and searches (when only a small fraction of the orange gear actually comes up when you filter for it, that is broken) with non-functional sorting and no true search,"

Clearly the GTN interface could use help but, I find sorting the items by level and then inverting the order shows me the overwhelming majority of orange gear in my search. I hadn't really thought it out much but, I guess when it's slots are open it lists as very low level. This probably is the smallest of your issues with the game but, hope it can help a little.

Already done. Only two days of subs remaining if I'm correct.

I'll be back when all the issues in my sig will be fixed - including appearance customization of course.

I bought a 60-day gamecard, so I'm not quite sure when my time is up, but I'll be back too when some of the issues in your sig are fixed. Turns out, this game isn't as totally bad as I thought it would be & I'm sorta having fun. I constantly fill out /bug reports about how my gear doesn't match, but maybe I'll see a change on that before my sub runs out.

Clearly the GTN interface could use help but, I find sorting the items by level and then inverting the order shows me the overwhelming majority of orange gear in my search. I hadn't really thought it out much but, I guess when it's slots are open it lists as very low level. This probably is the smallest of your issues with the game but, hope it can help a little.

Thanks for the tip. I did some searches last night (on two servers, both factions) and found that, at least at this point, most orange gear is coming up when selecting <prototype and custom> for quality, but not all. I ran searches without limiting quality and compared my results (searched between 56 and 98 pages, depending on the server and faction) to searches with the quality selected. One example of an item that does not show when searching by quality is a medium piece that I actually liked for Risha but hadn't seen before because of the search problems, I don't remember the name exactly now, something like Knights Training Vest, it's a basic shirt with a bit of an elegant, yet utility look to it that fits Risha's personality and. . . we'll just say rank to avoid spoilers.

Of course, then there is the issue of class restrictions on so much of the orange gear. Even though Risha is a smuggler, she's not a "smuggler", and can't actually wear it; something I didn't notice until after I purchased it.

You are right, though, that the GTN interface is one of the smaller issues I have, but it's such a glaring issue since it that it grates on me relentlessly. Actually, the whole UI does. Their "UI team" must consist of sophomores at the local Tech college who built the UI as a homework assignment. . . But that's for a different thread.

The problam with the moddable gear is its only good until you start raiding once you start picking up tier a good chunk of the stats are baked in and cant be replicated in current "armoring" mod items. so even if you gut the enhancment and mod your still losing stats because of the baked in armoring. and then were back to social armor has no heavy/mediam varients so the only classes that can use them productivly are counselors and inquisitioners and as said before only until you start running ops. Eaither fix moddable gear to beable to beable to match even the high end stuff (if the mods can only be aquired through doing ops so be it) or more preferably just add an apperence tab.

I bought a 60-day gamecard, so I'm not quite sure when my time is up, but I'll be back too when some of the issues in your sig are fixed. Turns out, this game isn't as totally bad as I thought it would be & I'm sorta having fun. I constantly fill out /bug reports about how my gear doesn't match, but maybe I'll see a change on that before my sub runs out.
What happens is that we have took part to this thread since and for more than one year already, and back then we were already saying that if such feature was missing we would be leaving.

The game is fun to an extent, but as we foresaw, once the class story is done, that's when retention features should kick in instead of lacking, and that's precisely the situation we are living in atm.

In a nutshell, is the game fun? certainly. Is the game is successful at offering retention? Relative and subjective but currently for me, certainly not.

Appearance customization is one of the features that would help such retention, that's what we fought for more than one year, and seeing it is not appearing to the wished extent, that's what creates such situation.

I'll be back for chapter IV or sooner, if patches fix enough of what I am expecting.

Gear that has slots is an interesting idea. I have a chest piece i really enjoy with a matching helm and i am glad i can keep using it. But I have not found matching legs, modifiable hands or belt. The Boots i am wearing are the same style as the chest but different color. So even with modifiable armor i still run into the principle problem which is my character looks like he is made up of different parts.

Modifiable armor is a poor solution when compared to an actual Appearance tab.

the SWG Dev that created that appearance tab, Matt Boudreaux, is a Dev at BioWare here on SWTOR. I was sure with him on board that we'd have an appearance tab at launch or shortly after, but it seems that some of the higher-up's in BW don't want to use an a-tab. I hope they change their minds real soon.

This game NEEDS an a-tab at this point, I thinks. And dyes/paints that can be used on every piece of armor, not just a simple & boring "hue to chest" color match system. BioWare can do so much better than that, I mean look at all the options we're eventually going to get for UI customization. It would be so cool if we got at least that many options for character & gear customization.

Edited by Tricky-Ha

Well Ethern and Tricky, I'm joining you in leaving. I've not updated my payment method on my account and don't plan to. I just re-downloaded CoH last night. I have about 50 characters between the different servers. I have nearly 3 years of paid-time in that game. I figure I'll play it again until GW2 comes out and I give that a shot. It saddens me that the SW universe that I love so much isn't available in an MMO that is actually more than a single-player story with a limited chat box and clunky market. Edited by Vodalus

I think the wardrobe system theat was featured in Rift is by far the best I've seen personally. Would love to have something similar in The Old Republic. Where you can wear a piece of clothing/armour with no stats that looks how you want and then use the stats of your choice from w/e piece of clothing/armour you wish. Cos lets face it, in near enough all RPG's the best stats are usually for the most stupid and non matching items! haha

The best-looking clothing for my sith sorc was one of the first outfits: plain, black, no hood. Why couldn't this (and everything else) just be made into orange gear? Now my options are all clothing that I don't like at all: either a hood, huge shoulder pads, or a "robe" that looks like an astronaut suit minus the glass helmet.

The best-looking clothing for my sith sorc was one of the first outfits: plain, black, no hood. Why couldn't this (and everything else) just be made into orange gear? Now my options are all clothing that I don't like at all: either a hood, huge shoulder pads, or a "robe" that looks like an astronaut suit minus the glass helmet.

Theoretically, based upon a pre-launch dev posting that is no longer available, there are orange-version schematics for those items available from underworld trading. Of course, your character can't actually equip items that theoretically exist, I know. But hey, they have "customization" in this game! :rolleyes:

Edited by Vodalus

Um, you can. Check your GTM (Auction House) under light armour. Click the level tab until all the orange gear appears and search there, you should find both the chest and skirt to be moddable.

Um, you can. Check your GTM (Auction House) under light armour. Click the level tab until all the orange gear appears and search there, you should find both the chest and skirt to be moddable.

If:

-Someone on his server won the Underworld trading lottery

and

-Their schematic lottery award was the particular piece he's looking for

and

-That someone had the skill and decided to produce the item/sold the item to someone who had the skill and decided to produce it

and

-That person has the item available on the market at the time that he happens to log in and check

and

-He has enough credits to buy the item at whatever price it was put on the market (200,000 is a common selling price for orange items on my server)

Yup, aside from the customization being dependent on multiple layers of randomness, your look is also subject to the arbitrary pricing of other people who happen to win the UT lottery because they know the odds of those who actually want the item getting that specific schematic are extremely slim.

And he's looking for more than one piece, so all of the above must be multiplied by the number of pieces needed.

. . . it also means using that abomination that is the (non-)galactic trade network.