horrible lag on star forge

Playing on Satele Shan.

I just attempted to deactivate my mount on Ilum. It took four minutes for the mount to disappear. :mad:

Since when does a back end maintenance create this kind of lag? Isn't it time Bioware find some employees who can run this game? Since 6.0, every time this game goes offline, something else breaks. Get it together! :mad:

How many reports do we read about in forums with a response that the problem is being "tracked". Stop tracking and start fixing! :mad:

Playing on Satele Shan.

I just attempted to deactivate my mount on Ilum. It took four minutes for the mount to disappear. :mad:

Since when does a back end maintenance create this kind of lag? Isn't it time Bioware find some employees who can run this game? Since 6.0, every time this game goes offline, something else breaks. Get it together! :mad:

How many reports do we read about in forums with a response that the problem is being "tracked". Stop tracking and start fixing! :mad:

i love you

I only had lag on Ilum, but that stopped when I swapped layers to one that didn't have 90 people on it all in one spot doing the gree event. I did notice some lag on the fleet at first too, then I swapped to a lower pop layer.

I think for the time being try to stay away from others and be on low pop layers(pvp layers barely have anyone)

I am experiencing the same issue. Connection constantly bouncing between "Red X", 1 bar, 2 bars, 4 bars, 90ms, 6000ms, 210510ms, etc.

Have now tried a lot of other connections: video services stream fine, webpages load fine, and I'm not experiencing these issues in other MMOs.

Began around 3:00 PM PST.

I only had lag on Ilum, but that stopped when I swapped layers to one that didn't have 90 people on it all in one spot doing the gree event. I did notice some lag on the fleet at first too, then I swapped to a lower pop layer.

I think for the time being try to stay away from others and be on low pop layers(pvp layers barely have anyone)

I swapped to another instance, and it worked for about 5 minutes, then started happening again :mad:

Can someone please download ping plotter and see if it’s the actual game servers or just a bad hop.

Download Pingplotter at http://www.pingplotter.com

Install it so you can look at the hops to the server

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Once you have that ip, open pingplotter. You can then enter the swtor server ip you are connected to and it will run a live trace route, showing all the connection hops along the way.

You'll be able to see live statistics and information on what is happening.

Following @TrixxieTriss instructions in PingPlotter shows 100% packet loss at the node "4.68.111.101" (reports no name) and 90% packet loss at the node "4.69.206.77" (ae-1-3502.ear3.Washington1.Level3.net).

0% loss and trivial latency at every other hop.

Edited by SW_display_name

Following @TrixxieTriss instructions in PingPlotter shows 100% packet loss at the node "4.68.111.101" (reports no name) and 90% packet loss at the node "4.69.206.77" (ae-1-3502.ear3.Washington1.Level3.net).

0% loss and trivial latency at every other hop.

You’ll be getting the packet loss due to the hop being a masked one or partially masked. Unfortunately, once hops like this show packet loss, they make it impossible to tell if you have a packet loss problem.

What about the actual ping at the other hops before and after?

Level3 are part of the internet backhaul or backbone that ISPs use and aren’t always great. I used to have problems with being routed through them on the west coast from Australia. When I changed ISPs, they routed me through zayo instead and not lvl3 after I asked them to set my connections to peer to Zayo when going through the US.

Unfortunately this isn’t something you can change easy as most ISPs won’t or can’t offer this type of extra service.

(IMO, lvl3 is the worst backhaul company and if I can avoid them, I do).

One work around I found and still use since the servers were moved is WTFast.com. They are a gaming VPN service.

If you use the paid version you can choose two hops to go through on your way to the game. This allows you to test which is the best route and if you have problems, you can route around them most of the time with a bit of testing.

An example.

My connection to the US west coast from Australia is excellent. I can connect to California at 151ms.

And if I just let the backhaul peering decide my path across the US, my ping can be up 260ms at the server and bounce up and down regularly. Which makes for an unstable experience.

Using WTFast let’s me choose the best hop on the west coast and then the best hop on the east coast (closest tot he servers). There is a feature that lets you ping all the WTFast hops and then you can pick the ones you want. Some are better than others (even with the same ping). With a little bit of testing, you can get to know the better hops.

I get 220-230ms to the servers using WTFast. Which is much better than the flakey 260ms

ie. When I ping the east coast hops, The Washington ones are usually good, but it’s flaky and always gives me ping spikes in the game. Where as the Atlanta Georgia hops can be a few ms higher, they are usually rock solid in stability, so I sacrifice a few ms ping for stability.

If anyone is interested in using WTFast, here are the hops I find the least problematic.

(If you are coming from the pacific) California 1, 5, 20 or 8

(On the east coast) Atlanta Georgia 4, 5, 8 or Reston Virginia 1.

Sometimes I still get problems with these. But you just need to do some quick trial and error to find the best.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You’ll be getting the packet loss due to the hop being a masked one or partially masked. Unfortunately, once hops like this show packet loss, they make it impossible to tell if you have a packet loss problem.

What about the actual ping at the other hops before and after?

Level3 are part of the internet backhaul or backbone that ISPs use and aren’t always great. I used to have problems with being routed through them on the west coast from Australia. When I changed ISPs, they routed me through zayo instead and not lvl3 after I asked them to set my connections to peer to Zayo when going through the US.

Unfortunately this isn’t something you can change easy as most ISPs won’t or can’t offer this type of extra service.

(IMO, lvl3 is the worst backhaul company and if I can avoid them, I do).

One work around I found and still use since the servers were moved is WTFast.com. They are a gaming VPN service.

If you use the paid version you can choose two hops to go through on your way to the game. This allows you to test which is the best route and if you have problems, you can route around them most of the time with a bit of testing.

An example.

My connection to the US west coast from Australia is excellent. I can connect to California at 151ms.

And if I just let the backhaul peering decide my path across the US, my ping can be up 260ms at the server and bounce up and down regularly. Which makes for an unstable experience.

Using WTFast let’s me choose the best hop on the west coast and then the best hop on the east coast (closest tot he servers). There is a feature that lets you ping all the WTFast hops and then you can pick the ones you want. Some are better than others (even with the same ping). With a little bit of testing, you can get to know the better hops.

I get 220-230ms to the servers using WTFast. Which is much better than the flakey 260ms

ie. When I ping the east coast hops, The Washington ones are usually good, but it’s flaky and always gives me ping spikes in the game. Where as the Atlanta Georgia hops can be a few ms higher, they are usually rock solid in stability, so I sacrifice a few ms ping for stability.

If anyone is interested in using WTFast, here are the hops I find the least problematic.

(If you are coming from the pacific) California 1, 5, 20 or 8

(On the east coast) Atlanta Georgia 4, 5, 8 or Reston Virginia 1.

Sometimes I still get problems with these. But you just need to do some quick trial and error to find the best.

This is all well and good for someone who A) is this kind of tech-savvy, and B) doesn't mind doing all the extra steps to ensure their "hop" is a good one. However, it doesn't give any type of resolution for those of us who just want to be able to log into the game and play without headache-inducing lag and/or jumping through hop-pinging (whatever) hoops.

Can confirm on my end. Logged in real quick to check sales and the fleet lag is certainly noticeable. I live in California, USA and it wasn't this bad before their 'back-end maintenance' this morning. Two steps forward and one step back, or however that saying goes... Always reminds me of Don Knotts in The Andy Griffith Show. They have to have a couple of Barney Fifes running around... :D

I'm on Star Forge as well, and I've started noticing weird ability delay as of earlier this afternoon.

My internet upload speed is 28.12 MBps, my download speed is 290.99 MBps, and my ping is <1 ms. My ingame server lag is showing between 50 and 70 ms.

All of my abilities seem to be going off at least a cooldown later than when I activate them.

I'm on Star Forge as well, and I've started noticing weird ability delay as of earlier this afternoon.

My internet upload speed is 28.12 MBps, my download speed is 290.99 MBps, and my ping is <1 ms. My ingame server lag is showing between 50 and 70 ms.

All of my abilities seem to be going off at least a cooldown later than when I activate them.

Go into settings and check your activation delay

This is all well and good for someone who A) is this kind of tech-savvy, and B) doesn't mind doing all the extra steps to ensure their "hop" is a good one. However, it doesn't give any type of resolution for those of us who just want to be able to log into the game and play without headache-inducing lag and/or jumping through hop-pinging (whatever) hoops.

I was just trying to help if anyone wants to take the steps.

My point is it’s not always Bioware or the game. 99% of all the complaining about the servers is usually got nothing to do with them.