The Legacy System and Trash Characters

Jydradi

This is an MMO.

MMO's are never "done".

If you want to wait to start your characters until all features ever for the game are in it, you should probably wait until the patch after they say the game is ending because Blizzard got the license to start up the next Star Wars MMO.

Failing that, it is up to you to realize that there will always be features coming out that your earlier characters didn't have access to. There will be no "Convert this character to Panda?" option when SWTOR finally gives in and releases pandas.

No, it's not a valid point.

Yes, it is a valid question.

The legacy system isn't an expansion that's coming out 2 years after the fact, or a patch that's going in after everyone is already at the endgame.

In those cases we all know the score. of course we have to make new characters to make new races, that's the nature of expansions etc.

The Legacy system is a new system with unknown factors. All I'm asking for is to know the rules.

If we have to make new characters to take advantage of the new options, that's fine. All I'm asking is weather or not that is, in fact, the case.

On a side note, all you guys that read a question and assuming it's a whine/complaint? You guys need to unplug and get better acquainted with humanity and social dynamics.

I never said it was whine or a complaint, maybe others but you are quoting me.

I disagree with the bulk because it has been stated that you will be able to use legacy features on the other characters you've already created. Things like races i would guess you would need to roll a new character.

That being said you brought up better points in this post (or maybe it's just written better that i understand what you are saying now) and i don't disagree with everything you say.

I do disagree with things like it's making characters useless to play. They are still adding legacy xp and i'd rather have the xp system in place than putting a legacy system in place for xp when i already have 5 max level characters and have to start from zero.

I miss my entertainer and my ID sessions I could perform =(

Side note, yup all I'm leveling are trash alt characters. Experiencing the story of the other faction on a random server and making choices I don't really care about and grouping with people I have no desire to ever interact with again hoping the legacy system will provide me with something meaningful for my main.

Not revealing the legacy system is actually a deterrent to a meaningful community building. Good thing I've known my guild for years and they know why I'm off on a random server.

In fact, I'd rather that Legacy tab and exp bar never existed and they never told us about this until they actually implemented it.

Meanwhile halfway through Legacy level 10! Yay?

Just so you know, legacy XP is server specific. So if you're not playing on the server of your main you're not gaining legacy levels that can be applied to that charater.

I disagree with the bulk because it has been stated that you will be able to use legacy features on the other characters you've already created. Things like races i would guess you would need to roll a new character.

Where has this been stated please?

Hmm-- what is it that you're anticipating the Legacy system might offer? I can't imagine what would make me want to toss my current characters out and re-roll, but I'm curious as to what might make others want to do so.

The three words that concern me are "character creation options", as I recall. The implication is that the legacy system will allow us to create characters that we otherwise could not.

Frankly, this troubles me, too. I'm an altoholic and simply don't know where I stand. It's one thing if the options are just new races or new cosmetics (and this would still matter to some people a great deal) but another thing entirely if e.g. every character you create once you're Legacy lvl 10+ has an extra 5 points to every stat. In other words, we simply don't know if characters created "using" the Legacy system will be in some mechanical sense better than our existing chars. That, in turn, causes some of us to be concerned that we'll have reason to delete chars later.

Put more simply, my question is, would a given char (e.g. human male Light Side Commando) be any more powerful if built with the Legacy system? If so, then every char I make right now is in a sense a placeholder, which is unsettling. I'd just like to know so I can plan.

I have similar concerns.

Ultimately I'd like to have a character of every AC. I'd like them all to be on the same server, but since there's a cap of 8 I've settled on having an all Imperial server and an all Republic server (Note to Bioware: Character caps on servers are so 2004).

definitely want this too

I really want to know what is coming in with the legacy system as well.

Personally I really hope there are more species. Given you have to have played through the game a fair bit to get legacy levels any views that it limits the story is a little redundent. Having played through the same world quests a few times means I don't care if you remove a trandoshians ability to flirt with someone cause the animation for kissing isn't in for different faces. But then Vetts shock collar seems to come and go at will and weapons are held by magnetic fields to my opperatives back make any difficulties caused by alien dimensions a poor argument for not having them in.

Likewise if a Legacy character is given additional game play options only accessable from character creation then people need to know to avoid turning a main into a trash and so they can plan ahead of time to make sure the experience is as enjoyable as possible.

Has it ever occured to you that not everyone plays the game in the say manner that you do? That all the people on earth do not have the same values as you, nor appreciate the same things?

Some people do not play this game to PvP or to kill operation bosses. Some are roleplayers, some are questers and personally - with how much time and dedication is spent onto making our characters personal, fully voice acted, and have personality - I find the visual appearance of my characters to be important.

Please take your ignorance elsewhere. You are not contributing at all.

When did I ever say anyone played the same as me? Let me try this again - let's pretend an expansion releases, and it includes new races. There are really only three possibilities regarding how a player handles those new races:

1) They switch their "main" character (whether that is Main Raiding or Main RPing character is irrelevant) to a character of the new race.

2) They make an alt of the new race, but do not make it their "main".

3) They do not make a character of the new race.

These are literally the only possible options a player has when a new race releases. So my point is this is no different than new races coming as part of an expansion (common practice) EXCEPT that you don't have to pay for them. If you want to play a Mon Calamari why does it matter if you get them through Legacy or "SWTOR: Attack of the Trap Jokes"? You don't know what races will be coming in future expansions, and you don't know which ones, if any, will come from legacy level.

That means that how you react to a new race through legacy level is, logically, the same way you react to new races released in expansions.

Stop being a keyboard cowboy and trying to pick a fight and READ what I wrote. It has no bearing on playstyle.

Edited by Syas

Ok, I know you aren't going to give any details about the Legacy System before you're ready, and that's a good thing. BUT there are some burning questions surrounding the Legacy System that I'm hoping you'll be able to answer for me.

In the 'k' menu, under Legacy menu, if you mouseover the question mark, it states Coming Soon, blah blah, Character Creation Options blah blah. The concern this raises is that I'll have to delete and re-make my characters in order to take advantage of these delicious new options (when they are released), essentially making the characters we're playing now trash characters.

This is bad imho. Point of fact this is currently keeping me from playing my other characters even though I am rather desperately wanting to see the other storylines.

My question is this: Will there be some kind of system for existing characters to make use of unlocked options?

For that matter is there any plans to include a hair salon,face merchant type system so we can change our appearances in game at all?

Same , im not creating a new char until im 100% if they will or not open togruta based on this system.

Shockingly, aesthetics matter to some people. Who knew?! :D

LOL... for some games they mean nothing to me but for some games they are everything. I own like 4 shirts IRL but for some reason in SWG I had HOUSES FULL of clothing and armor. I have no idea why :D

I think the RP aspect of this game is what separates it from MW3 or BF3 or Halo(whatever number they are on LOL)

LOL... for some games they mean nothing to me but for some games they are everything. I own like 4 shirts IRL but for some reason in SWG I had HOUSES FULL of clothing and armor. I have no idea why :D

I think the RP aspect of this game is what separates it from MW3 or BF3 or Halo(whatever number they are on LOL)

I'm kind of the same way.

Playing dress-up is half the reason I play MMOs! ^_^

Let me try this again - let's pretend an expansion releases, and it includes new races.

Let's pretend that in an upcoming patch, BW announces that new characters created will get a permanent +1 to all stats for every legacy level at the time of their creation. That, my friend, is a wholly different matter than the introduction of NEW options for character creation.

It's not about races or new options; the issue is that there's a possibility that our existing characters, with their existing races and classes, could become essentially second-class citizens compared to new characters of the same races and classes.

Will this happen? I have no idea. Is it likely? Probably not. Would I like to know anyhow? Absolutely. :D

• 2 weeks later...