Alderaan Round 2 Changes and Feedback

EricMusco

I just did a quick stroll through after updating. Some preliminary comments (edited):

- I still don't like the "winter" climate. One of the main things I like in a Stronghold is a place to put a "garden", but most of the available plants would look silly around the snow.

However, since this is Alderaan, I assume I'm out of luck to get a summer place. 😥

Edit: I had fun tonight turning one of the rooms in the Retreat into a spa, with plants, etc.

- on that note, I'd like more, centralized ceiling hooks in all rooms, and fewer default lights***.

- the hook placement in the rooms in the Noble Estate make it impossible to put beds centred on the side walls. At least one of the 3 rooms should have a different hook layout.

- as many have said, there's a broken door in the upper area (retreat).

- I assume that mounting will be fixed by the time 6.1 goes live.

- the SH could use a few slightly smaller rooms to use as bedrooms**, etc. The best place for them would be to add a second floor to the main hall. But dividing up one of the larger existing rooms could also work.

- I like the minor changes to the throne room. A couple more small hooks on the platform would be nice.

Edit: I had fun turning the Throne room into a party room. The throne dias makes a good place to put a band. Party floor in the middle. Lots of hooks for Arrangements, bars, etc.

- I think the "frosted" effect on some of the windows is very well done, but I'm just not a fan of winter.

- as in the past, I don't see a purpose in the maze-like design of the retreat. I think it would be better to have straight corridors and use the recovered space for open utility areas.

- I'd rather a greenhouse than a ruin.

** On a related note. If we can't have any smaller bedrooms, how about making some "privacy screen" decorations that we could put around a bed. They might be an actual screen, possibly clear or translucent, which an occupant would switch to "opaque" for privacy. Or it could just a "base" of a unit that would project a screen. An interactive unit that switches on or off would be nice, but I'll not hold my breath on that one. 😅

*** Another decoration idea - "Grow Lights"

Edited by JediQuaker

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the topic of Alderaanian decorations, I note with pleasure the achievement-linked decoration that was added, "noble throne facade," which lets us place a thin divider like what was at the head of the throne room before it was removed to give a better view. This decoration is very promising (especially if you please give us more than four of them - the achievement implies four, but often achievements actually give us 999, and that's the number I'd like to see). This type of decoration would be very welcome in several more iterations. "Room dividers" are extremely useful to let us turn large rooms into several smaller ones in our own way, but they really need to look like they fit in with the aesthetic of the stronghold or they stand out badly. This facade decoration could be useful for more than just giving us flexibility with the throne room. If longer versions were added as well, they would let the stronghold be more flexible.

You do get 999. I took my sage who hadn't went to Alderaan yet and the cinematic ran on her and it gave her the achievement for the Alderaan stronghold and she was awarded the decoration and I was putting it down and it showed I had 999.

I'm still new to the strongholds but one thing that I did notice as I was touring around is that in the Western and Northern Lodging, both have a room to access but the door has a glitch where it opens and closes in the opposite direction and therefore blocks your entrance. I also notice that the map doesn't show those rooms. I know you guys might be aware of this. I wish we had windows available in some of the rooms but I understand this stronghold is in between a mountain. Other than that, I will say that this is indeed a beautiful stronghold. So far, one of my favorites.

You do get 999. I took my sage who hadn't went to Alderaan yet and the cinematic ran on her and it gave her the achievement for the Alderaan stronghold and she was awarded the decoration and I was putting it down and it showed I had 999.

Cool, I wasn't able to get the achievement to trigger. I'll try doing what you did, then experiment with what this decoration can do for room versatility. Thanks so much for the info.

Hook placement Suggestions:

/The wall at the main entrance needs a hook - Empty Wall

/The stair railings need small hooks for stuff like banners - Stair hooks

/Side rooms should all have varied hook placements to allow for different arrangements - Example

/More hooks in this area - Outside Area

/Aside from these there is definitely a need for more hooks to be scattered about in the outside areas. Too many areas that are empty.

Misc Suggestions:

/Allow us to disable the stained glass visuals on the floor. They dont match various themes and look odd passing through objects - https://puu.sh/F1hQI/88907dc07b.png

/Increase the size of the throne step and replace the medium hook with a large one. Or just remove it entirely and place a large hook- Throne area

/Let us place our own lights in hallways - Fixed lights

Edited by micnevv

Increase the size of the throne step and replace the medium hook with a large one. Or just remove it entirely and place a large hook- Throne area

If they want to go with one of these suggestions, personally I prefer keeping the throne step but making it larger (or even, if there isn't time to make it bigger, just putting a larger hook on it; not everything that uses a large hook would be too big for this step). I feel like having the throne step makes whatever throne or chair we place on the step look more grand and more in-keeping with the aesthetic of the stronghold.

Edited by Estelindis

If they want to go with one of these suggestions, personally I prefer keeping the throne step but making it larger (or even, if there isn't time to make it bigger, just putting a larger hook on it; not everything that uses a large hook would be too big for this step). I feel like having the throne step makes whatever throne or chair we place on the step look more grand and more in-keeping with the aesthetic of the stronghold.

Oh I completely agree, it's a cool concept but unfortunately it's a bit too limiting in what you can do with it in its current state. This seems to be a recurring problem throughout this stronghold with interesting features that we have no control over.

Edited by micnevv

Only a preliminary post

O boy o boy

Better but in it’s present state I’m not convinced I’ll get it honestly.

A few points.

The throne room

I do not understand why the elevated platform only supports a medium hook and 4 small hooks, if ever there was a place to have at least a large hook placed this is it. Decorations like Throne of Enlightenment are part of the Alderaan themed decorations as I like to call them, but it doesn’t fit here, an Alderaanian throne, that doesn’t fit the throne room of the Alderaan stronghold…

Lack of rooms & second floor

Yes, I am saying it again, we need more rooms inside the palace, this place is Huuuuuuuuuge from the outside and then we get inside and “ow, this is it”. Ideally I’d have loved to see something like the Senate tower on Coruscant. A second floor accessible by a staircase, and 4 more rooms similar to the ones currently connected to the grand hall.

Perhaps as a minimal substitute the elevator can lead to another floor with another grand hall and adjoining rooms, though the hall can be the normal size ceiling wise? It would give us more rooms to decorate which I feel is sorely lacking.

That door on the side of the mountain retreat is already there, how about making that into a room, or have it lead to a basement with a few more rooms or something, again more rooms.

Hook count and placement

This place needs a higher hook count, and more hook placements, I am missing a lot of small and medium hooks outside, especially the front courtyard.

I’d appreciate the ability to make a starship hook before the ancient ruin, I need a central spot to finally put that Ossan Orrery.

As for the amount of hooks, I filled up Rishi, which means if I move main strongholds I’ll have to pick and choose with what I take with me, I hate that.

Statue of the Serene pilgrim, another Alderaan themed decoration, it would look great in the great hall on the elevated parts to the side, currently those have 2 small hooks next to one another yet you’re not able to turn those into medium rare hooks making the placement of this deco impossible. It’s a minor change that doesn’t even require moving anything, 2 small hooks next to one another have always been able to turn into a medium narrow hook, yet here this isn’t an option?

Statue of the Serene pilgrim, another Alderaan themed decoration, it would look great in the great hall on the elevated parts to the side, currently those have 2 small hooks next to one another yet you’re not able to turn those into medium rare hooks making the placement of this deco impossible. It’s a minor change that doesn’t even require moving anything, 2 small hooks next to one another have always been able to turn into a medium narrow hook, yet here this isn’t an option?

I thought exactly the same thing (we need to be able to put those statues on those pedestals!) and asked for that during the previous feedback phase. Of all the things I requested, I thought it would be the simplest, but who knows? :confused:

In general, please make hook combinations as flexible as possible. For instance, wherever there are two small hooks side by side it should be possible to switch layout to a narrow medium hook. See this example in the main hall of the noble estate.

Some needed changes. Some have been mentioned.

Small hooks on staircase rails on ground level.

Put elevator control inside the elevator, not outside.

Need to mount in stronghold.

Need additional hooks in throne area(s) so can put a large throne there and not just a small one.

Fix northern lodge door opening.

Looks good. Love that there are many floor hooks.

A couple more suggestions (v3.0)

1. The more I think about the "ruins" being turned into something more productive area such as a green house (suggested by someone else actually) .. the more I like it !! If that were an area with a lot of glass overlooking that valley below … that would be a really nice view. (yeah.. there would be some frost and ice on the windows... but not entirely ! ) IMO.. this would be much better.

2. If you are looking toward the main building from the entrance to what is now the ruins... you can clearly see 3 structures with additional elevations to the main building... One spire and two others. IMO .. it would be very nice if those were additional rooms. Please open those up. At least the one larger domed structure in the middle.

OH … possible bug?? I was able to place some really strange items in the ceiling at the entrance to the Noble estate (the one in the front) other than lighting. You might want to check into that !

(edited for clarification of the ceiling area at the entrance)

Edited by OlBuzzard

1. The more I think about the "ruins" being turned into something more productive area such as a green house (suggested by someone else actually) .. the more I like it !! If that were an area with a lot of glass overlooking that valley below … that would be a really nice view. (yeah.. there would be some frost and ice on the windows... but not entirely ! ) IMO.. this would be much better.

2. If you are looking toward the main building from the entrance to what is now the ruins... you can clearly see 3 structures with additional elevations to the main building... One spire and two others. IMO .. it would be very nice if those were additional rooms. Please open those up. At least the one larger domed structure in the middle.

OH … possible bug?? I was able to place some really strange items at the entrance to the Noble estate (the one in the front) other than lighting. You might want to check into that !

I wanted them to install a vault under the ruins and make so we can get behind it.

OH … possible bug?? I was able to place some really strange items at the entrance to the Noble estate (the one in the front) other than lighting. You might want to check into that !

Agreed.

I disagree about turning the ruins into a green house, there are ruins on alderaan so of course the stronghold should have ruins. not having ruins would be the same as having a stronghold on ossus and not having ruins. it would be better to expand the ruins a little and have a vault under it.

I do agree with making additional rooms, the outside is too big compared to the inside.

I disagree about turning the ruins into a green house, there are ruins on alderaan so of course the stronghold should have ruins. not having ruins would be the same as having a stronghold on ossus and not having ruins. it would be better to expand the ruins a little and have a vault under it.

I do agree with making additional rooms, the outside is too big compared to the inside.

Well... the thing about the ruins .. Is that this is more of a secluded "noble" estate. The ruins kind of takes away from that idea. While it is true that some areas are more "battle ravaged" … many areas are not. With this being somewhat more secluded it could easily be seen as both a palace and a retreat. And the greenhouse seems to fit that sort of an estate. Just my opinion.

Also I think that many of us ask for a "second floor" … technically the "mountain retreat is "up to" the second floor.

The request would be for an additional stair case or elevator that would go up to at least one of the towers that are a part of the main structure in the retreat.

edited for additional clarification

Edited by OlBuzzard

Just wanted to post a quick update after having a chance to play around with the "noble throne facade" decoration. Kudos once more for adding this, and thanks. It gives us more versatility not only for the throne room but for all the interior areas of the stronghold (and for Coruscant too), by letting us subdivide rooms using a large structure that fits in with the look of existing stronghold architecture. Some other strongholds already have decorations like this, but I wish every stronghold did, and in a variety of sizes too.

Well... the thing about the ruins .. Is that this is more of a secluded "noble" estate. The ruins kind of takes away from that idea. While it is true that some areas are more "battle ravaged" … many areas are not. With this being somewhat more secluded it could easily be seen as both a palace and a retreat. And the greenhouse seems to fit that sort of an estate. Just my opinion.

/agree. I haven't seen any ruins on Alderaan in the palaces that I have had to go to when on Alderaan.

House Organa-From starport to where House Organa is-No Ruins

House Alde- From taxi to Entrance where guards and the imperial characters would enter- No Ruins

House Teral- (and not one of the major Houses) Which is hard to acess unless you are a consular and on the mission- They have been attacked but the ruins for the Killiacks are further back not in the enclosed areas but you can say -Ruins

Castle Organa- (one for the sith missons)- No ruins (From the beginning entrance to the back)

House Hugo- No Ruins (From starport to the entrance of the Castle)

House Rist- No Ruins (From the entrance all the way through to the entrance for the special mission for various classes)

Edited by casirabit

I dunno, personally I like the idea of a ruin being there. I don't think it has to be a sign of an area being battle-ravaged (maybe there was a battle a thousand years ago). It could be a mark of the estate's history and heritage that the site includes a ruin.

Maybe I feel this way because my country is full of old ruins, hundreds or (ocassionally) thousands of years old, and I like the connection to our history that it gives to see these structures as one goes through normal life.

I would reiterate my view though that a subterranean area added to the ruin would be nice! I see some others have posted the same in the meantime.

Edited by Estelindis

I dunno, personally I like the idea of a ruin being there. I don't think it has to be a sign of an area being battle-ravaged (maybe there was a battle a thousand years ago). It could be a mark of the estate's history and heritage that the site includes a ruin.

Maybe I feel this way because my country is full of old ruins, hundreds or (ocassionally) thousands of years old, and I like the connection to our history that it gives to see these structures as one goes through normal life.

I would reiterate my view though that a subterranean area added to the ruin would be nice! I see some others have posted the same in the meantime.

Maybe the ruins should be relocated next to the "cave" area... That could be the entrance to an ancient land mark. And the inside of that cave more marvelous and less "buggy" (sorry I that's the only analogy I could think of for the Killiks.)

The suggestion that was made for this … https://www.rolepages.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/crystal-caves.jpg ( made by casirabit) is really great as well.

Now THAT seems very doable... One compliments the other !

Again... just a thought !

Edited by OlBuzzard

I get that, but you are thinking of ruins as if it is ruins because of a battle. the ruins in the estate doesn't look like it was ravaged from battle, rather that it was a building of some sort that became ruins do to changing time/ no one taking care of it. if you look at it, there is not blaster marks or war marks; it looks as if it was a stone building that was left to rot because the galaxy moved away from stone building to metal buildings. if you thought in a story concept where it is makes perfect sense. its a secluded mountain area, that was the original estate from a millennia ago. (if it has a vault down below) that could be the "treasure" room. when the galaxy moved from stone to metal, the Nobel received a metal palace (the main palace - where it is now) and left the original stone one to decay over the centuries.

as for the killik cave, like if mentioned before I dont mind it, but I think the mounds shouldn't be there. the cave should open to a killik mound nest. I wouldn't mind having a crystal cave though. it would help me out since this estate will be a jedi academy for my jedi knight to teach others.

I Think We're Going to Need a Bigger Deco Cap

At this point I've placed 207 of the 1035 decorations allowed; 9 of 9 rooms unlocked. Although I've used 20% of the total number of decos allowed to be placed; the Alderaan Stronghold is no where near 20% decorated. I think players who unlock all rooms are going to be frustrated by the current 1035 decorations placed cap.

Here's an example, the Stained Glass room where I've placed some decorations.

The other side of that same room, with a total of 5 decos placed there.

I also placed 48 of the small Trophy decorations on the walls of the castle's entrance. No room or outside area is yet fully decorated in the SH. In fact, except for the castle's entrance, very few decorations have been placed throughout the Stronghold, with the highest number placed in the area of the Stained Glass room shown in 1st image above. A few (around 10) in the Throne room, and a couple of decos in two of the rooms off the Stained Glass room. And, these:

Landing Zone. -- Built-in fire.

I'm going to keep decorating, but I think I'm going to use up 50% or so of the decorations cap just in the Stained Glass room. I think the hook layouts allow for a much welcomed flexibility in placing decos. However, the current 1035 deco cap when all nine rooms are unlocked is too low.

An aside, I like the ruins in the Mountain Retreat area.

Bugs:

I'll post these in here, and in the previous Alderaan SH Bug Report thread.

Using one of the small hooks near the built-in fire glitches the decoration window. This hook I've circled in red.

When I first clicked that hook, I wanted to place a Thranta pet there, and did a Decoration Window search for "thranta." The two thranta pets showed up in the Decoration Window. While still in "show hooks" I changed my mind about placing a thranta, and did a search for a different deco. I could no longer enter a name in to the Decoration Window's search bar, and although the search bar was blank, the only decorations I could pull up were those with the word "thranta" in their description that fit whichever hook I clicked. I wound up turning off "show hooks" and moving to a different area. Then, I turned on "show hooks" and entered a random (but real) decoration name in the Decoration Window search bar. The search bar remained blank, but items appeared as available. After that, I've been able to use the Decoration Window search without problem, although I have not clicked that particular hook again.

Stuck point:

Stained Glass room shown here, and a screenshot of the map location shown here.

I was jumping up to that location to get a better perspective while placing a deco nearby. I got stuck. Which leads me to the next bug:

After typing /stuck, I was no longer stuck. However, instead of being sent to the Mountain Retreat which I'd previously clicked as the set arrival point on that character, the character was sent to the initial landing zone, that bridge.

My issue with the stronghold is that there is no real quarters for the lord of the estate. Sure with a lil imagination and creative decoration placement you can divide one of the larger rooms into something that would suffice.

If we're going to get all technical in medieval terms with what we have so far then we need a Solar.

Main Hall- serves as place for congregation and dining.

Throne room- where the lord conducts ceremonies, council, grant audiences and other official business.

Study-Library or a private place where the lord would retreat to.

Drawing-Lounge where the men would "draw to" after dinner and discuss manly things. Also can be a living room where guests are entertained.

Guest rooms-simple with a bed and chest.

Lodgings- barracks

The lord does not sleep with his subjects. He has his own room where he sleeps, a Solar.

Let's be realistic now. Bioware is not going to add a second floor to the main castle or they would have done it for Round 2.

If any place was appropriate to be the lord's manor then it would have been where the ruins lie. It's its own Solar separated from the rest of the structures. The grand stairs creates the illusion of a building where someone important resides. It should have large wide windows to partake the magnificent views. Casirabit suggested a green house with atrium style windows. That definitely could fit as a lord's manor. The open space before it would be for statues, fountains and gardens.

The Ruins ruins it! Right now the ruins is an eye sore. I'll repeat it again. It should not be a focal point. As it stands, it is a complete waste of space. It's not a practical building due to a lack of a door and roof. The ruins should be in a secluded, off to the side location somewhere on the grounds for players to discover. A hidden gem. That would create far more of an impact then where it lies now. I suggested it be located in the empty space to the East. A series of cave tunnels could connect to the lonely waterfall.

Edited by TonyTricicolo

From what I understand they are planning a February release date for this?

I know you can't please everyone but a second floor, or at the very least more rooms seems to have been the most consistent thing requested since it first hit the PTS. Why ask for feedback and then not use it.

If I'm being completely honest whenever I look up into the great hall and see those arches where second-floor railings could be from another floor, it looks like it was once available to the past tenant, but has been hastily bricked up. It doesn't scream Alderaanian opulence to me at all.

A complete rework of the great hall is, without a pushback to the release date (which I would support if it gave us what we want btw) likely unrealistic but we do have an elevator and I don't see how it can't lead to another floor somewhere that houses more rooms, a corridor with side rooms, a large round library (copy existing artwork), or that tower room some have asked for.

I also support raising the hook limit, 1035 remains far too small, these limits have been an eye soar since I first started decorating our guild ship (while on that subject, I could use 300+ more there as well) and provide too many limitations. We get more decorations released, what's the point if we can't place them, not to mention putting down extra ones, I have 60 statues of the serene pilgrim put aside just for Alderaan.

If the conquest bonus is an issue then keep the "basic stronghold cap" but allow it to be modular with an option to go over it, so, for example, Rishi has 1600 hooks, you fill 1600 you get that strongholds bonus, but if you choose to you can fill up 2000 hooks or something.

Possible bug

Inside the room designated “Northern Lodging”, I cannot seem to click the large right wall hooks (facing them from the entrance). Can anyone confirm this doesn’t work for others?

Also, the Alderaan floor tiles from the Alderaan deco bundle do not come through on some floor hooks, on some they appear fine, on others you only see them stick out halfway through.