Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

6.0 gearing is the worst in swtor history

omaan

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they nerf the RNG vendor in the last patch? Because I've been getting either pieces that are equal to what my toon is wearing or inferior. Today, I got a 275-rated mod-able belt when my toon was wearing 276. Tried my luck with mods and ended up with a 276. She's iLevel 277 :mad:

I have never used the RNG vendor, there is really no need. You get plenty of drops from just playing the game to eventually get through to the next rating. I am currently on my way to 2nd BiS character, including getting most amps.

Exactly. I played the pvp daily and ended up with 25 fragments for about an hour’s playtime. Doing flashpoints yields 300 in the same amount of time. Seems pretty out of balance, especially for ‘play your way’.

I think people should stop buying into those marketing slogans. They never mean what you would reasonably expect them to mean, so it's pointless to use as an argument really. But what you explain there definitively seems out of balance.

To say it is worse than 5.0 -- is a flat out lie. Even if you don't go their route and run certain FPs until your eyes bleed, we are talking about a few days you are behind.

Both 5.0 and 6.0 are trash gearing systems.

Stop whining.

Dasty

Stop white knighting?

I have never used the RNG vendor, there is really no need. You get plenty of drops from just playing the game to eventually get through to the next rating. I am currently on my way to 2nd BiS character, including getting most amps.

Unfortunately the drops are rng, so--some of us have had to use it. I got stuck in a rut where all of my gear was 276+ except my belt, and everything I was getting had no mods to rip. Finally bought the rng belt just to have something with a higher iRating. Had to do the same thing with a relic as well.

Similar activities with similar time commitments should award similar rewards - but even in PVE, the rewards for the time and effort are all over the place, which is why players have been spamming Hammer Station or Red Reaper stealth.

Other flashpoints provide similar rewards, but take significantly longer due to everything from excessive RP cut scenes to large maps to annoying or over-tuned bosses.

I really wish they would address all the content and do a pass to adjust time and rewards - such that similar time in PVP awards an average (average of win / loss / medal based rewards) rate equivalent to time spent in PVE.

Similarly, instances that take longer than average to complete should have extra rewards (maybe just add rewards to some of the 'bosses' in the massive instances that currently have empty loot tables).

Lastly, the instances need a tuning pass - why waste time on a boss that may have a good chance of wiping the group or is just annoying and excessively long when you can face roll the bosses in Hammer Station for the same reward in much less time?

Beautiful post. Agree 1000%.

I am so sick of Hammer Station I could throw up. It's hilarious that I have all of the FPs equipped, queue totally random, and still get Hammer over and over and over...

Remember how sick we were of Kuat? Now it's Hammer time.

So because they don't hand you full BiS the first week, like no other MMO with a gear grind does, you're quitting? I mean, that's really what this sounds like. The patch has only been out a little over two weeks, so what other MMO with a gear grind (and let's face it, since WoW that's become the standard for MMOs at end game) would you really have FULL BiS by now? Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

It's hilarious that I have all of the FPs equipped, queue totally random, and still get Hammer over and over and over...

Because at least one of 3 other people you randomly grouped with probably have only have HS selected and nothing else. That's just how GF works. If you want real random selection, get 3 other people who are also sick of hammer:D

Edited by Gelious

So because they don't hand you full BiS the first week, like no other MMO with a gear grind does, you're quitting? I mean, that's really what this sounds like. The patch has only been out a little over two weeks, so what other MMO with a gear grind (and let's face it, since WoW that's become the standard for MMOs at end game) would you really have FULL BiS by now?

Yeah that's the attitude that BW sadly has promoted with the two previous expansions. People have grown accustomed to easy moding everything and feel instant gratification is a right they are entitled to. This is exactly the reason I quit the game for almost two years. It's still not great that in 6.0 people are just running HS and RR all the time though. But that I get because the difference in difficulty and length between VM FPs for example is just stupid.

Edited by Tsillah

And here was me saying the Ossus Masterwork crystal was grindy. I can't believe how bad this new gearing system is. If you go to a vendor you have a chance to get what you want instead of just giving me exactly what I want! It's nuts. EA definitely got there slimy mitts into my once favorite game. "Surprise mechanics" are just awful. I wish we could go back to the way things were. Back when you earned tokens or crystals and just bought the stuff outright rater then rely on RNG. I really hope they dial this crap down. It's getting way out of hand quickly. I'm seriously considering canceling my subscription. I don't want to attempt going after 306 gear. Having to unlock some 20 + sets or armor and weapons to get there is just too time consuming. I DO in-fact have a life.

I am so sick of Hammer Station I could throw up. It's hilarious that I have all of the FPs equipped, queue totally random, and still get Hammer over and over and over...

Remember how sick we were of Kuat? Now it's Hammer time.

If you're looking to not run Hammer you might watch for pops with non-75s. Might take you a lot longer to get one, but the chances are better of a non-all-75 group being something other than HS than it is a team loaded with end-gamers. Just a thought.

And here was me saying the Ossus Masterwork crystal was grindy. I can't believe how bad this new gearing system is. If you go to a vendor you have a chance to get what you want instead of just giving me exactly what I want! It's nuts. EA definitely got there slimy mitts into my once favorite game. "Surprise mechanics" are just awful. I wish we could go back to the way things were. Back when you earned tokens or crystals and just bought the stuff outright rater then rely on RNG. I really hope they dial this crap down. It's getting way out of hand quickly. I'm seriously considering canceling my subscription. I don't want to attempt going after 306 gear. Having to unlock some 20 + sets or armor and weapons to get there is just too time consuming. I DO in-fact have a life.

What I do is simply not be in a hurry. My main has 286/288 gear now. A sorc healer. I have a second sorc healer and a sage healer. I rotate the gear between them to do conquest. This way I will get to 306 gear and I will use the same trick to get them all in 306. By the way it's worth being in a big conquest guild because the large yield gives about 3 random gold shells with set bonuses per character. That really helps the collection. And I can easily gain enough to buy one more piece per dag from the vendor just by playing a couple of hours. In a few weeks I'm sure to have quite a bit of things collected. I haven't even been able to play most of this week. But regardless, 306 gear will come. I'm not too worried about that.

Because it takes a week at most to be fully geared and bis ? Be happy you don’t have to gear thru nim ops like previous expansions. Or war zones that drop coms to by pieces of war zone only gear.

Because the gearing system benefits pve'ers more than it does pvp'ers, you go through mastermode red reaper and you are fully geared by day two of the grind if not more. Pvp'ers have to work twice as hard to get their gear, I'm not much of a pve'er but this just baffles me to the point that leaves me frustrated.

Edited by RaithHarth

Because the gearing system benefits pve'ers more than it does pvp'ers, you go through mastermode red reaper and you are fully geared by day two of the grind if not more. Pvp'ers have to work twice as hard to get their gear, I'm not much of a pve'er but this just baffles me to the point that leaves me frustrated.

It's honestly not just PVE'ers.

It's anyone who doesn't feel like running Hammer and RR over and over. These 2 flashpoints should not be used to determine the "good" or "bad" status of gearing.

To ppl who run HS MM over and over, gearing is great. Of course it is, I mean, they have a 1/4 chance of getting a set bonus/tactical every 12-15 minutes.

I seriously doubt this is the experience of ppl running ANY VET FP (when was the last time you got a valuable piece of gear from any VET FPs?), or any MM FP that is long and difficult, or any SM OPs, Vet OPs or NiM OPs. For all of those, you lose money instead of get anything of real value for your time spent.

I seriously doubt this is the experience of ppl running ANY VET FP (when was the last time you got a valuable piece of gear from any VET FPs?),t.

Hate to break it to you, but it's perfectly possible to get to 306 in 2-3 days by spaming random Vet FP. I did exactly that. And it wasn't always Hammer or Reaper either. Gear drops just fine. Multilple items per single boss.

Edited by Gelious

Engaging in the acquisition of the shells and tacticals, and having quickly geared up some alts, i have better thoughts to share on the gearing system.

Honestly, the vertical progression system is what the problem is. It serves no purpose but to frustrate players. The way to ease the situation would be to have upgrades drop at 280+ just as much as much as they drop below it. This also matters for 306 cause i often get non 306 stuff that is just trash to convert into tech fragments. So, at the point the question poses itself. Why not just have the bosses drop more tech fragments than force us to go through this process? So, at max ilvl the bosses should drop less gear but guaranteed 306 and more tech fragments.

Obviously that would alleviate the max level issues of acquiring the gear parts you want. But personally, i think the whole thing should be removed and stats (armoring/mod/ench) just added to the shells.

The rolling of the amps and the augments are enough of a hassle to keep us going. Don't need the vertical progression system piling on.

Edited by Nemmar

Hate to break it to you, but it's perfectly possible to get to 306 in 2-3 days by spaming random Vet FP. I did exactly that. And it wasn't always Hammer or Reaper either. Gear drops just fine. Multilple items per single boss.

While I did do it in 3 day with my wife and some MM FPs (once she had her confidence), we played 12 hours a day to do that, so 36 hours (you get more drops in a group).

Of course you could do it in two days, but I wouldn’t suggest people do it unless Bioware announce another patch (because there is always a chance they’ll nerf the drops).

My advice is spread it over a week and do other content in between so you don’t feel burnt out after it,

To ppl who run HS MM over and over, gearing is great. Of course it is, I mean, they have a 1/4 chance of getting a set bonus/tactical every 12-15 minutes.

That’s not exactly right. A set bonus or tactical doesn’t always drop when you do a MM flash point. Although that might be different if you have a 4 man group, but in a 2 man group it dropped a group loot item about 10% of the runs. The other runs didn’t drop anything but the standard personal gear.

That’s not exactly right. A set bonus or tactical doesn’t always drop when you do a MM flash point. Although that might be different if you have a 4 man group, but in a 2 man group it dropped a group loot item about 10% of the runs. The other runs didn’t drop anything but the standard personal gear.

My experience has been in 4 man groups, in which 100% of the runs always have ended with a set bonus or tactical on the final boss.

Don't bother with the RNG vendor. Play the game. Don't even need to spam HS/RR ad nauseam. Grab your friends, queue for random MM Flashpoints, you'll get 2 crates everytime. Use whatever until 302, *then* start opening the crates. Only buy SB pieces with the tech fragments or Kai's stuff. Keep a generic 306 set to pass to alts with no class restrictions so you can skip the vertical progression altogether. Once you're at 306 you can start minmaxing. Don't bother with the new augments at least for now, use the purple 228, cheap and we already have a lot of power from gear. If you're so inclined, build a specific level-locked set that fully prioritizes tertiary stats (including crit and alacrity relics).

It's crafting that's an unreasonable grind steeped in RNG as you want to roll the right amplifiers to mitigate it a bit. Gearing has never been faster. I thought it would be worse than early 5.0, it's not. It's okay. The only issue is you can't do it as quickly if you don't want to PvE at all. And people spamming HS so queuing solo on GF can be annoying. But people were spamming HS before as well, so, meh.

Edited by nyrkverse

My experience has been in 4 man groups, in which 100% of the runs always have ended with a set bonus or tactical on the final boss.

Shame it doesn’t do that for two man MM every run. I’m still missing 2 pieces of my set bonus and I had to buy two at the vendor.

But, we were also held back because 90% of the drops were for tank gear when we were both dps. I ended up with nearly a whole set of tank gear and 3 tank tactical’s.

The only times I got deception spec gear was when I ran it solo in vet mode. So there is something seriously wrong with the drop system when two deception sins get tank gear as a group drop. The only non specific tank gear drops were generic tactical’s or set bonuses.

While I did do it in 3 day with my wife and some MM FPs (once she had her confidence), we played 12 hours a day to do that, so 36 hours (you get more drops in a group).

Of course you could do it in two days, but I wouldn’t suggest people do it unless Bioware announce another patch (because there is always a chance they’ll nerf the drops).

My advice is spread it over a week and do other content in between so you don’t feel burnt out after it,

First of all, I have a lot of free time.:D

Secondly, once you finish the story, there simply nothing else in SWTOR to do. (unless you are a new player, which I am not)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.