Anyone else think Nautolan’s female model is ugly?

ptsdgirl

I reserved 4 place holder Alts for some funny or witty names. Was a total waste of time because I won’t ever use them unless Bioware make some changes to the female models

I had to delete some Alts to make those place holders. So that’s got me a bit miffed.

The only name worth using now is “smashed crab” and that wasn’t even one of my 4.

Urghh why! Lol You shouldve gone on a serve you never go to..and test it there...you never know..if you never delete that Nautolans..it make come alive on its own and get assimilated XD

and if you go to PVP and find a fugly Nautolan chasing you...you know what you did! LOL

Edited by SerraShar

I reserved 4 place holder Alts for some funny or witty names. Was a total waste of time because I won’t ever use them unless Bioware make some changes to the female models

I had to delete some Alts to make those place holders. So that’s got me a bit miffed.

The only name worth using now is “smashed crab” and that wasn’t even one of my 4.

that's a bummer :(

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I personally do not mind the nautolan face models that much. That is to say, while nowhere near what I hoped for I could live with them. They look very alien and I am alright with that. I do agree that they could have been far better, particularly in terms of eyes, facial structure, complexion, lips and tentacles (including but not limited to the overwhelming clipping issues). To date, it is by far the least developed of the post-launch models. Both the cathar and togruta models are superior to the nautolan, even if they themselves have their problems (particularly togruta).

What I can not overlook though, is the complete lack of eye animation. I tried a few different starting cutscenes as both a nautolan and any other race. The difference in emotional expression is glaring and a little bit unsettling after close comparison. While nautolans have brow movements, their eyes lay dead in their face. This not only severally undermines the emotional facial expressions the game has put forward since the story animations upgrade that came with KotFE, but makes them appear lifeless and doll-like among their more vivacious and compelling surroundings.

Needless to say I won't be playing a nautolan. For me, being able to empathize with my character is one of the most important aspects of my character model. And no, this does not only hold true for story play and cutscenes. The exact same holds true for the countless MM FPs and HM/NiM operations I run. Basic eye animations like blinking, slight changed in direction of gaze and eye expression that moves with the eyebrows make all the difference. I had expected nautolan eyes to be more similar to chiss eyes, only with a different model/aesthetic. Instead, the nautolan models simply don't feel alive at all. Add to that the underwhelming aesthetic of the model itself and I can feel nothing but intense disappointment over a race that I was very excited about playing.

In my opinion, a few things have to happen for the nautolan models to bring them up to the standards of, say, the togruta or cathar models:

- Rework their eyes and tie them into the existing eye animations. Character models should be spirited and show emotion, not look like lifeless dolls. (Chiss are are a good example of solid eyes that still have basic animations.)

- Add more colours to the eye rim and eye itself while at it. The purple eye rim on a green skinned nautolan just looks ridiculous. That is not how skin pigment usually works.

- Improve the nautolan complexion (particularly for females) so their faces look less unnaturally puffy and like they were just stung by a hive of bees and lived to tell about it.

- Fix clipping issues with their tentacles, making sure that a. they don't clip through each other and b. there are also some options available where the tentacle are either falling to the sides or the front of their faces to use in combination with more heavy gear that has packs.

- Create a separate "head" and "tentacle" slider, and a separate "tentacle pattern" and "tentacle color" slider. These things have always been separate, so why combine them now? It makes it needlessly difficult to create your character model.

Additional quality changes that would be great but I am not holding my breath for:

- Rework facial structures to create more interesting and different face models (including reworking the lips).

- Create more interesting and different tentacle patterns and more skintones and pattern colours.

- Make both togruta and nautolan models compatible with headgear, same way as twileks can wear helms and hoods.

Sadly, with the little resources SWTOR has nowadays, I am not expecting any changes to be made at all. I hope I am wrong though, because in their current "beta" version I won't ever be playing a nautolan, even though I was really looking forward to it. They just aren't up there in quality compared to the other character models.

Edited by Iryfindel

Worst part is they already have your money (the sub) for them and I'm not hopeful for a round of touch ups since they never bothered responding to feedback on Cathar, Togruta or Twileks. This was supposed to be their premiere moment. This was the time to get it right. Now what? Wait another few years to get the next race with no notable differences?

If being a Nautolan unlocks some extra dialogue they specifically recorded for Onslaught, then I could understand some of the hype. Otherwise, not even a wiggle here.

"Ugly" is an undeserved compliment to that hideous model! I can sign under every word you said - same story, same feelings.

I’m so glad I am not the only one!! I tried to make one with the second body type and I still couldn’t do it.. ugh sad.

My issue is that there is no hood/helmet support. Even if your character is hideous, at least with other species you could hide it. This makes three species so far that don't have proper support in the head area. Why? Just make a few from scratch.

I was thinking about what you said, and today I realized when you try on a helmet, they act like they are adjusting it, even though there is nothing to see lol. Sad

After reading this thread I thought ok challenge accepted.... Had a go at making one, didn't turn out too bad. But I get what looks odd now compared to the NPC versions. They have little button noses instead of sweeping noses, on the one closest to the NPCs look. It's like someone in the SW TOR offices has a Princess Fiona from Shrek fixation when she is in Ogre form :p

I ended up deleting my male SI,I don't know but I just wasn't feeling how he looked after going through Korriban, something just seemed off to me during cutscenes. Might give the female another go on a JK, see how she goes and if I can get past Tython looking at her. :p

Well the one thing Tython does better than Korriban is lighting. And for aliens, which usually have more interesting skin tones, that can matter a lot I think. The lighting in the character editor is rarely representative of what the character looks like most of the time while playing.

I ended up deleting my male SI,I don't know but I just wasn't feeling how he looked after going through Korriban, something just seemed off to me during cutscenes. Might give the female another go on a JK, see how she goes and if I can get past Tython looking at her. :p

I used a lvl 70 token for a male. I chose a smuggler so weapons wouldn't clip through his tentacles and I chose tentacles that were behind the shoulder to reduce clipping in clothes, even though I love the once that are over the shoulder. I thought I was set.

He looked reasonable in creation, but like you said, something is just off. Part of it is that his head is just a little to small for his body, though other body types have it worse. But it's also the way his relaxed face is a smirk and there just isn't much facial animation. Like he's heavily botoxed.

The other thing that bothers me is how his tentacles have no weight. They drift behind him when he walks. Not even regular hair does that! And they drift in one solid clump. I would love to see them fan out or flair up in action sequences like they do in the comics!

Edited by Damask_Rose

Well the one thing Tython does better than Korriban is lighting. And for aliens, which usually have more interesting skin tones, that can matter a lot I think. The lighting in the character editor is rarely representative of what the character looks like most of the time while playing.

I will admit the skin tone does look nicer on Tython, I'll see how far I get with her. I really, really want to have Nautolan character so I might just have to make do, maybe she'll grow on me. :p

The other thing that bothers me is how his tentacles have no weight. They drift behind him when he walks. Not even regular hair does that! And they drift in one solid clump. I would love to see them fan out or flair up in action sequences like they do in the comics!

Sounds really cool, but I can only imagine it'd be hard to do. Do the tentacles (right word?) float upwards when you go on an elevator like the lekku on Tiw'leks do sometimes as well? :confused:

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

Sounds really cool, but I can only imagine it'd be hard to do. Do the tentacles (right word?) float upwards when you go on an elevator like the lekku on Tiw'leks do sometimes as well? :confused:

I haven't tried that yet, but when he does emotes like the cartwheel they tuck into his body :eek:

I played around with moods and I think he looks better with the "annoyed" mood than he does with his normal expression. This is Kherre Karom all annoyed.

If you want a laugh, check out the racial skill "inspire loyalty."

I haven't tried that yet, but when he does emotes like the cartwheel they tuck into his body :eek:

I played around with moods and I think he looks better with the "annoyed" mood than he does with his normal expression. This is Kherre Karom all annoyed.

Wow your character actually looks really good, couldn't get my male to look anywhere near that good and my current female JK I think would make younglings cry just by looking at them.

I was super underwhelmed with that skill, weird question but did it leave your character with this really creepy grin? After I used it it leaves this really creepy grin that I cant' get rid of unless I emote something else, her running around with that grin is scary stuff lol, here https://imgur.com/vYIzivA.

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

Wow your character actually looks really good, couldn't get my male to look anywhere near that good and my current female JK I think would make younglings cry just by looking at them.

I was super underwhelmed with that skill, weird question but did it leave your character with this really creepy grin? After I used it it leaves this really creepy grin that I cant' get rid of unless I emote something else, her running around with that grin is scary stuff lol, here https://imgur.com/vYIzivA.

The creepy grin is hysterical!

I just finished Ossus with him. Sooo much clipping! Tentacles digging into his back. Tentacles slicing though his neck. I can understand the aesthetics not being everyone's cup of tea since that is subjective, but how did the horrific clipping pass QA?

I lol'd, that is a creepy looking grin.

Lmao the grin is very creepy, lolol omg.. I never looked at mine to see if she was doing that haha

Edited by ptsdgirl

Wow he looks awesome! Males can really pull off the look well. I will have to make another one just to see the skill haha

No, no and no! Your male Nau looks good, Damask_Rose (I might even consider one) but posted females... OMG, I think I'll have nightmares after those pics. I tryed to make one, but that bottoxed mask does not fit any voice we have in the game. And when I imagine that with any LI in the game, I just cry. BW butchered the whole race. Edited by Mirandel

I ended up deleting my male SI,I don't know but I just wasn't feeling how he looked after going through Korriban, something just seemed off to me during cutscenes.

I can make a male which looks ok during most cutscenes, but when I look at him from the side out in the world, the dirty great big poo streaks up the side of his face are impossible to love.

And when I imagine that with any LI in the game, I just cry. BW butchered the whole race.

My JC is one planet away from meeting Iresso, I'm very curious to see how the romantic scenes/kissing scenes look with one.

I can make a male which looks ok during most cutscenes, but when I look at him from the side out in the world, the dirty great big poo streaks up the side of his face are impossible to love.

Poor Nautolan's, Fisto's race deserve better.