Just been on PTS loving the Gear change thanks Chief Keith and Eric!

DarthSealth

One thing though: Could we please remove this whole (2) +2% [insert Stat Here] mechanic?

Maybe just make it (3 + 5) piece set bonuses than we can mix between the two. (2 + 4) piece set bonuses. Than we can truly our way? e.g. (3+5+2) or (2+4+3)

But anyways hats off to you guys, this is going to be the best patch to date! I'm so stoke.

I give credit when credit due.

Edited by DarthSealth

One thing though: Could we please remove this whole (2) +2% [insert Stat Here] mechanic?

Maybe just make it (3 + 5) piece set bonuses than we can mix between the two. (2 + 4) piece set bonuses. Than we can truly our way? e.g. (3+5+2) or (2+4+3)

But anyways hats off to you guys, this is going to be the best patch to date! I'm so stoke.

I give credit when credit due.

This sounds VERY familiar !

I think you didn’t test much on obtaining the gear. Rose coloured glasses I think.

Well I tested enough to tell my opinion, that I quite like the variations of set bonuses and Tacticals.

Yes two aspects was annoying such as acquiring mods, equipment and amplifiers because of the RNG aspect which I don't see being the final state of acquiring these items.

I didn't like parts of the set bonuses and would do away with the (2 pieces with a percentage increase on a stat) I would have removed that and made 2/4/6 into 3/5 and merged the set bonuses that in the 2/4 sets into one since a few use the percentage increase rule.

However acquiring set bonuses and tacticals are far better than phase two, i would like to also add the whole legacy binding is great in my opinion.

Big rose colored glasses in a rose text world.

The blind leading the blind off a cliff like lemmings. Just like RNG you don't know when you will fall but you will know when you hit the bottom.

How do you know what i know or don't know? Are you on PTS? Have you tested between phases? Do you have an insight into how the release will exactly be from the information on PTS that isn't final? This isn't like changing a major story plot they have plenty of time to iron out the kinks.

I know Phase 3 is a lot better than Phase 2.

I'd find yourself to be more of a lemming in the terms of "I see, I do." keep following the trend train, if it is what makes you sleep at night.

Well I tested enough to tell my opinion, that I quite like the variations of set bonuses and Tacticals.

Yes two aspects was annoying such as acquiring mods, equipment and amplifiers because of the RNG aspect which I don't see being the final state of acquiring these items.

I didn't like parts of the set bonuses and would do away with the (2 pieces with a percentage increase on a stat) I would have removed that and made 2/4/6 into 3/5 and merged the set bonuses that in the 2/4 sets into one since a few use the percentage increase rule.

However acquiring set bonuses and tacticals are far better than phase two, i would like to also add the whole legacy binding is great in my opinion.

I hope the tacticals and gear sets turn out as a success in 6.0. This is the only chance we have of the meta changing and improving.

You also point out you dislike the RNG on the vendors but you also note that hopefully they change that before 6.0 is finished and that's the biggest concern of many players is they will not peel back the majority of RNG that's part of the 6.0 gearing system.

I think it's fine to tell them you like parts of the gearing system and dislike other parts, maybe if they get more feedback like this they will take it more seriously when they see it's not just the typical naysayers on the forums who are unhappy with how the 6.0 gearing system is working as it stands now.

We basically have a larger vocal minority that criticize the system, then we have a smaller vocal group of a few individuals that support and offer zero criticisms to the gearing system. I imagine it's hard to follow feedback when most of it is negative, but at the same time it isn't helpful to blindly worship whatever the devs put together and plop on PTS, this doesn't give the devs anything constructive, either.

I think posts like this are important, it offers a viewpoint that isn't blindly supporting SWTOR but it also does offer some criticism which rings true with the naysayers, that being the RNG needs decreased before 6.0 drops.

Edited by Lhancelot

That's a fair point. For me, personally, it's too much. And I fear that especially new players will have a hard time finding their way around. I think one thing that would help would be if the game would automatically prevent you from buying tacticals that are of no use for your class. You know, something that sounds fancy, but which is actually not useful for your char.

Isn't acquiring these things exactly the actual game? And you find it annoying. That's a very different message from "loving the Gear change".

And might I ask: What makes you believe that this is not the final state of acquiring these items? What indication is there that this gets any better? We're testing game balance now. This means that we are past gearing changes on the PTS. What we have now is what we will get on live. There is simply no time to change things anymore in only 2 weeks. Any other belief is imho naive.

Isn't acquiring these things exactly the actual game? And you find it annoying. That's a very different message from "loving the Gear change".

Some people use honey to smooth over criticisms. I read his post and it's clear he is opposed to RNG and that's the biggest complaint everyone has about the 6.0 gearing changes.

Who cares if he says he "loves the changes," if that's what it takes for him to reach the target audience (devs or Eric) with his criticisms. Don't get hung up on the compliments, instead read the entire message in his post.

You are doing what BW tends to do which is judge the feedback by the tone that is used and not what is actually written. People need to stop getting emotional over how things are written, and instead actually consider what is written, and that includes BW. For being in such a position you'd think they could handle constructive criticisms unfortunately they are very thin-skinned and the only way you reach them is with kids gloves on, so to speak.

My point is everyone expresses their thoughts and feelings differently and just because he had compliments to give, if you notice those compliments just opened the door for him to present what he actually disliked about 6.0. Seems this method of communicating actually gets more attention, so I am all for those who can communicate this way.

Edited by Lhancelot

The OP is entiled to their opinion as much as the next player. And to a point it is correct. If you look at some of the gear options available on PTS and ignore for the moment the method of acquision, there are some interesting options in set bonuses, tacticals and amplifiers. I have been having some fun playing with them on PTS also, it's easy when you have unlimited funds.

However when it goes live our available funds will be limited (based on how much you play and what content you play) and RNG will be the dominant means of gear acquision. At least one toon will have to grind the item level to cap, and even when at cap you will have to grind to try to get optimal stats. And amplifiers will be a credit sink with RNG for all (don't bother until you have the mods you want to keep).

BoL is a double edged sword, sure it is great for shipping to alts, especially the left side stuff, but ALL gear is BoL, include random world drops. This takes it out of the economy and makes it impossible to bypass any of the gear grind with other players' unwanted items.

So you might say, OK I'll just craft my way through soem of the lower rungs of the gear ladder - except that you won't since even green gear requires exotic materials from FP/Ops and Conquest. So by the time you have collected what you would need you would have better stuff anyway.

I think the OP might be overly optimistic if they expect major changes to the RNG system prior to launch.

The amplifier system in particular reminds me of systems in other games where there are random rolls rto improve gear - usually there is a corresponding RL cash option to mitigate or otherwise affect the outcome. I do hope that Bioware does not go this route.

BoL is a double edged sword, sure it is great for shipping to alts, especially the left side stuff, but ALL gear is BoL, include random world drops. This takes it out of the economy and makes it impossible to bypass any of the gear grind with other players' unwanted items.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard all gear would be BoL. That makes crafted gear much more valuable then and explains at least in part why it costs more to make, although Eric already addressed some of those concerns with his Phase 3 post.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard all gear would be BoL. That makes crafted gear much more valuable then and explains at least in part why it costs more to make, although Eric already addressed some of those concerns with his Phase 3 post.

Sorry to say it is. Which is why I said in other threads better for players with a lot of alts but maybe not so for players with a single or very few. On the other hand most if not all of the best gear was BoP before, so could not even be passed on to alts without a lot of pointless hassle, let alone be sold on GTN. All in all a fair trade off IMO.

Crafted gear? well yes may well make it more valuable on GTN but that's greatly depends on play style for mats you get as loot. So good for group players not so good for solo players.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

That's a fair point. For me, personally, it's too much. And I fear that especially new players will have a hard time finding their way around. I think one thing that would help would be if the game would automatically prevent you from buying tacticals that are of no use for your class. You know, something that sounds fancy, but which is actually not useful for your char.

I welcome "choice" it reminds me more of vanilla, I miss the old skill tree and still do. When has simplification ever made a game more popular in fact it causes the opposite effect which is obvious by now with the various "updates" of simplification or in other terms fixing something which isn't broke.

Comparatively it has been far better than Phase 2 and the choice has made me excited to play all the classes again.

But there is still work to be done and I have stated that along side they indeed half baked some ideas, like the set bonuses and or acquiring mods and amplifiers. This idea isn't new it's been around for ages in such RPG's like Torchlight. But I can have mixed feelings and reviews or am I not allowed to?

And might I ask: What makes you believe that this is not the final state of acquiring these items? What indication is there that this gets any better? We're testing game balance now. This means that we are past gearing changes on the PTS. What we have now is what we will get on live. There is simply no time to change things anymore in only 2 weeks. Any other belief is imho naive.

I believe they will add in a quick update to PTS in the following days that will add a dedicated mod vendor non-RNG, I personally believe there will still be RNG vendor such as Kai, but I believe they will move all general set bonuses and tacticals to a separate vendor also. We're not only testing balancing, but crafting also, until you can not acquire a specific item that is when the testing is up, they also have enough time to change little elements that isn't hard coded such as content.

Side note: Learn the terminology of "Naïve" first before using such a word that is beyond your mental capability.

Some people use honey to smooth over criticisms. I read his post and it's clear he is opposed to RNG and that's the biggest complaint everyone has about the 6.0 gearing changes.

Who cares if he says he "loves the changes," if that's what it takes for him to reach the target audience (devs or Eric) with his criticisms. Don't get hung up on the compliments, instead read the entire message in his post.

You are doing what BW tends to do which is judge the feedback by the tone that is used and not what is actually written. People need to stop getting emotional over how things are written, and instead actually consider what is written, and that includes BW. For being in such a position you'd think they could handle constructive criticisms unfortunately they are very thin-skinned and the only way you reach them is with kids gloves on, so to speak.

My point is everyone expresses their thoughts and feelings differently and just because he had compliments to give, if you notice those compliments just opened the door for him to present what he actually disliked about 6.0. Seems this method of communicating actually gets more attention, so I am all for those who can communicate this way.

Exactly, I am not blowing smoke up their arses nor am I white knighting however there is a lot to be desired, in my humble opinion it could be the best expansion however on the flip side it can be the second worse, sorry 5.0 you still holding this L. I like the complex nature and choice reminds me of RPG's and more favourably vanilla SWTOR.

I use to give them the blunt truth but that resulted in 4 pages of disciplinary actions, I have curbed my tongue for the sake of holding my opinion or at least being able to voice it.

Most of the ideas in 6.0 not to be a bigot I asked for and dreamed of such as making abilities into how I want to use them such as "Enraged Crush" I also stated I wanted to see BOL gear and set bonuses added to the shells since it was easier for me to gear alts in my "fairyland" instead of having to chase the set bonus armouring's. They haven't added my idea of a AOE Force Choke or a Mad Dash for Assassins yet but here's to hoping.

But I'm still waiting for them to throw back in the old skill trees, base classes, active stances and companion abilities that was removed. That's my opinion and I don't expect everyone to have the same nor do I expect Bioware to bend over the desk to my opinions or ideas.