The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Feedback] Moddable gearing.

Flying-Brian

So with moddable gearing on the PTS, it is ridiculous just how much RNG is involved with moddable gear and set bonus items and how badly designed it is. Whoever the person on the design team that came up with these changes, seems like they were only implemented to make the RNG grind as painfull as possible and just punish players.

Problems with moddable gear.

When moddable/set bonus gear is obtained (from a drop, or a vendor) there is RNG to determin everything about each mod in that gear piece individually. So you have.

• RNG to determine the iLevel rating of the mod.
  • RNG to determine the version of the mod.
  • RNG to determine the 20+ variants of the mod.
  • RNG to determine the amplifier on the mod.

And all this for every piece of moddable gear available, it doesn't matter if it is a set bonus piece, or a random moddable version.

So the chances of each mod being at the same level (unless you get the piece at lvl 270) are very, very slim. At iLevel 306, I have seen gear with a 306 armoring, 296 mod, and 284 enhancement. This holds true at every gear rating level. This issue alone means that when you get a moddable/set bonus piece it will be almost always a downgrade in item rating from what you have.

What needs to be fixed.

The solution for this problem is very simple and easy. Remove the RNG from each individual mod in gear, and have it so that all mods are at the same level (like it is, and has been, on live). If you get a iLevel 282 piece of moddable gear, all the mods in it should be at iLevel 282.

This small change will go a long way to help fix the issues with moddable gear.

Second problem.

Again for a reason that is only known to the design team, and is not a feature that was ever requested by players. Each type and version of mods now have 20 different variations added to them.

With this addition, it will make trying to min/max or optimizing gear for PVP/PVE practically impossible.

Currently on the PTS there is no direct way to obtain any mod that are a specific direct upgrades. You have an RNG vendor that gives you an RNG chance at a random mod. This system does not take your class/spec in to account, and 6/10 times you end up with a mod for the wrong spec that is of no use to you (I get more tank mods from this vendor then anything else when I am on a dps spec character). This vendor also seems to only have the R1-R20 variations of mods, because after buying 100's of mods, I have never seen an unlettered version drop. So there is no direct way to obtain the unlettered version.

So the only way to obtain the unlettered optimized versions of mods, is by playing RNG roulette and buying a piece of gear from the Kai vendor (when available). Then checking to see if that piece of gear has a usable unlettered mod in it. If it does, great, pull it and repeat. Otherwise it is buy, check, return, and rebuy. Then just keep slamming your head in to a wall as you have to repeat this over and over (but only on weekends). And this would have to be repeated for every armoring/mod/enhancement in every gear slot.

What needs to be fixed.

The sheer amount of RNG with mods, from different mod variations, to mod availability needs to removed.

• Set bonus gear should always come with the unlettered optimized versions of mods (like they do on live).
  • Normal moddable gear (from drops) should come with the lettered versions of mods.
  • The amount of useless R1-R20 variations needed to be reduced by al least 75% (so 5 new variations), and these are available from the RNG vendor. These variations should only be those with higher tertiary stats.

Edited by Flying-Brian

There are a lot of assumptions about what players requested and what they didnt. More variety is always a good thing, especially in a diverse game such as an MMO. It allows for more customization for the player, even if you personally dont intend to use so many. Just because something isnt asked for doesnt make it a bad idea to be included. I dont think anyone asked for 3 cameras on the new iPhone, but apparently its supposed to be the next best thing! Edited by olagatonjedi

There are a lot of assumptions about what players requested and what they didnt. More variety is always a good thing, especially in a diverse game such as an MMO. It allows for more customization for the player, even if you personally dont intend to use so many. Just because something isnt asked for doesnt make it a bad idea to be included. I dont think anyone asked for 3 cameras on the new iPhone, but apparently its supposed to be the next best thing!

Here's my opinion. Nothing wrong with variety IF you can purchase the one you want directly for a specific currency. Having variety built in with massive amounts of RNG is not needed or asked for. Having 20 variations of mods for example with the amount of RNG required to Min/Max each character will mean people play less alts. If we could purchase the version we want for tech fragments there is nothing wrong with having that many options.

Edited by Toraak

RNG is NOT Fun, not at all. Hours of Frustration really. Why cant we just shoot/slice/electrocute or whatever else, get the money and simply go BUY whatever parts we WANT?? I'd like a change from the Ossus system also like many others, but this isn't better, not by a long shot; however it does seem Great to make people play on, and on, and on and still on more **Just, to get the one or few parts they want.

When moddable/set bonus gear is obtained (from a drop, or a vendor) there is RNG to determin everything about each mod in that gear piece individually. So you have.

And all this for every piece of moddable gear available, it doesn't matter if it is a set bonus piece, or a random moddable version.

What needs to be fixed.

The sheer amount of RNG with mods, from different mod variations, to mod availability needs to removed.

• Set bonus gear should always come with the unlettered optimized versions of mods (like they do on live).
  • Normal moddable gear (from drops) should come with the lettered versions of mods.
  • The amount of useless R1-R20 variations needed to be reduced by al least 75% (so 5 new variations), and these are available from the RNG vendor. These variations should only be those with higher tertiary stats.

"Yo dawg, I heard you like RNG, so here's some RNG with your RNG"

No Bioware, we don't like RNG.

I accept that there must be some RNG in the game, but what we have on PTS now is way too much. I may be one of the few, but I actually liked the gearing in Ossus for the most part. It had a balance of RNG items in crates, or you could save up crystals and buy the exact item you wanted from a vendor - with a choice in how you could earn those crystals (masterwork at least, I didn't get any monumental since I didn't care for the queen fight personally). I did enjoy the group fights against the the WBs. There was the rep grind of course, but I didn't mind that either as a way to slow down progress - far preferable to 19 gear levels each of which is a gate to the next.

The one thing I did not like was the bind-to-slot nature of mods and enhancements. I did not investigate crafting much so can't offer much of an opinion there except that it was top end gear so I would not expect to be able to craft with commonly available materials.

Mod ilvl being rolled separately per gear. Like wth. This is terrible.

There is no way to reliably get any solid top end ilvl gear. Nothing. Ppl wont be able to raid serious content for weeks because everyone will have **** gear. Im not willing to put in hundreds of hours of WORK (yes this is called work, not even remotely close to fun) in order to gear out 1 set of set bonus + rest of the gear just to be able to raid serious content!

Im paying to have fun, not paying to work. The oxymoron should be a serious wake up call ppl.

With the newest PTS patch a step has been taken to fix the RNG iLvl issue with moddable gear, but it is more of a band-aid and not a full correction of the problem.

The adjusted RNG for mods is that they are now within 2 levels (up or down) of your iLvl rating.

So at 306, I was getting moddable gear with 306 and 304 lvl mods. On my lvl 290 sniper, I was seeing mods from 298 to 302.

This issue still needs to be addressed and fixed. There is no reason to have the mods be anything else then all at the same level. The RNG needs to be removed from the level rating of moddable gear.

There is also still the issue of having no direct way to obtain the type of mod that is needed. Again, set bonus gear should come with the optimized, unlettered versions on mods in the gear.

so when I purchase 20 mods and I get six A6's 2 B3 and 1 B1 and the rest different numbers is considered as a fix I don't think so there's no Band-Aid nor ever was there nor will there be because this is to them orangey and this is how they will get us to spend our money just to try to get the mods enhancements and armorings that we also dearly want no matter what it takes. again this is stated months ago that this would happen and my mind is perplexed as no one remembered.

Eric any thoughts?

the current gearing system is WAY better than what they have on PTS. PTS is a nightmare, no game play, just hours of trying to get the right gear set-up; its ridiculous.

BTW DPS gear: ( i think there are 80R-20)

Armoring have 471 Mastery

MODs 361 power

Enhancement 361 Power

TANK Gear

Armoring 451 Endurance

MOD 409 endurance

Enhancement 471 Endurance (hard to get)

Unlettered ones have higher tertiary stats like Alacrity

Vendor mostly give ACCURACY Enhancements

Edited by Yezzan

the current gearing system is WAY better than what they have on PTS. PTS is a nightmare, no game play, just hours of trying to get the right gear set-up; its ridiculous.

BTW DPS gear: ( i think there are 80R-20)

Armoring have 471 Mastery

MODs 361 power

Enhancement 361 Power

TANK Gear

Armoring 451 Endurance

MOD 409 endurance

Enhancement 471 Endurance (hard to get)

Unlettered ones have higher tertiary stats like Alacrity

Vendor mostly give ACCURACY Enhancements

Sadly the current system is bad and broke as i am unable to min max my tanks and remove the wretched mods and enhancements and put in better pieces that we should bave been able to learn vis schematics. This was a major lesson learned from the devs.

So with moddable gearing on the PTS, it is ridiculous just how much RNG is involved with moddable gear and set bonus items and how badly designed it is. Whoever the person on the design team that came up with these changes, seems like they were only implemented to make the RNG grind as painfull as possible and just punish players.

So the chances of each mod being at the same level (unless you get the piece at lvl 270) are very, very slim. At iLevel 306, I have seen gear with a 306 armoring, 296 mod, and 284 enhancement. This holds true at every gear rating level. This issue alone means that when you get a moddable/set bonus piece it will be almost always a downgrade in item rating from what you have.

What needs to be fixed.

The solution for this problem is very simple and easy. Remove the RNG from each individual mod in gear, and have it so that all mods are at the same level (like it is, and has been, on live). If you get a iLevel 282 piece of moddable gear, all the mods in it should be at iLevel 282.

This small change will go a long way to help fix the issues with moddable gear.

Second problem.

Again for a reason that is only known to the design team, and is not a feature that was ever requested by players. Each type and version of mods now have 20 different variations added to them.

With this addition, it will make trying to min/max or optimizing gear for PVP/PVE practically impossible.

Currently on the PTS there is no direct way to obtain any mod that are a specific direct upgrades. You have an RNG vendor that gives you an RNG chance at a random mod. This system does not take your class/spec in to account, and 6/10 times you end up with a mod for the wrong spec that is of no use to you (I get more tank mods from this vendor then anything else when I am on a dps spec character). This vendor also seems to only have the R1-R20 variations of mods, because after buying 100's of mods, I have never seen an unlettered version drop. So there is no direct way to obtain the unlettered version.

So the only way to obtain the unlettered optimized versions of mods, is by playing RNG roulette and buying a piece of gear from the Kai vendor (when available). Then checking to see if that piece of gear has a usable unlettered mod in it. If it does, great, pull it and repeat. Otherwise it is buy, check, return, and rebuy. Then just keep slamming your head in to a wall as you have to repeat this over and over (but only on weekends). And this would have to be repeated for every armoring/mod/enhancement in every gear slot.

What needs to be fixed.

After a modest amount of testing on my part … and reading the results of other tests by other players it is obvious that there are several areas which prevent obtaining affective, focused gear. That is not to say that it is impossible... but simply unlikely. Yes both of these words have meanings that can be interpreted with a great deal of ambiguity. That is why I chose them.

Some will sing a song of highest praise... that is their choice. Many will not. Anyone may read these forums and the threads that are in the general forums and come to your own conclusions as what you may choose to believe.

Centered around much of this controversy is "RNG". I believe that if most of us are honest we will admit that there is a certain amount of this in loot drops in just about any MMO. It's been that way for some time now. I'm not posting this to propagate the continuation of that particular debate as to when and how RNG was instituted and became a part of the process in receiving loot. Mixed in with said loot systems is of course ARMOR or GEAR ! Again .. I honestly don't believe that we will be getting away from that any time soon either.

What does become an issue however, is the matter of VENDORS that we go to with the intent of purchasing specific items that we need... and all we see is "unidentifiable" items. Additionally when we receive those items we find out that the parts we just purchased are essentially useless. There is no denying that as the PTS now stand that is a part of the process.

The very essence of what we have in it's current state is a promise of receiving WHAT? There is no need to try to be specific.. because the very nature of what we have is not only random (which by definition is anything but specific) but also restricted by current gear we are using.

It is highly unlikely that the entire system will be change. I'm not expecting that. But for those vendors that we need to go to in order to purchase specific components to "fill the gaps" or to complete a specific set .. or perhaps to complete a specific build .. those vendors should not be RNG based. The level of frustration that will set in … that will also be RNG ! (If you catch my meaning)

Edit: keep in mind that right now those of us who are testing … our resources are not limited right now. In game … once it drops ! That's another matter !

Edited by OlBuzzard