The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Has anyone tested tech fragment drops?

TrixxieTriss

Sorry if this has already been done or posted. I can’t seem to find the info.

Do we have an updated list of how many tech frags drop from each activity or deconstruction?

I do know the current “cheat” (that won’t go live) is about 800 stims = 3000 tech frags. Will crafted stims in the game have a deconstruct value?

It seems 3 tech frags drop from deconstructing a blue Armor piece. Does this change the higher the quality or lower?

Do we get less at lower lvl characters and gear?

Edit: it seems deconstructing doesn’t always give you tech frags at all (ie generators and weapons). So this could make every thing I say below worse.

What about normal quest missions, pvp matches, weeklies, dailies, heroics, operations and are all flash points rated to drop the same amount?

Do we get more if we are in a group and is that multiplied by how many are in a group?

Knowing the tech frag ratios from all activities, conditions and deconstructions would help us determine how much balance still needs to be obtained to rationalise all the gear lvls and the RNG.

If we get a lot of frags constantly... and I mean 3000 frags per 2 hours of any game play, then the grind to gear and the stupid RNG won’t be as bad (RNG still = terribly bad and not needed).

Consider this, I’ve needed approximately 50,000 stims deconstructed into 3000 frags per time. This a rough estimate because 800 conversion is 3.75 frags. Approximately 187,000 frags from the 50,000 stims (I maybe off a bit here, I’m really tired from testing)

Just buying from Takanna (RNG vendor) to upgrade has taken me about 3-4 hours of constant deconstructing and swapping gear (which was boring as hell) to get to all gold 306 gear. Approximately 187,500 frags

That doesn’t include tactical’s (which don’t drops) or special gear (which very rarely drop. I got 2).

That is a lot of time just at the stupid vendor.

Also consider that we have a 3000 frag cap (which is ridiculous). So we have to keep coming back to spend them too.

From a gear deconstructing point of view to get frags. With 3 frags per item, it will require deconstructing 62,500 pieces of Armor to get 187,500 frags.

At the moment, drops are slow with one or two pieces (if you are lucky) from Hammer Station at lvl 75. Below lvl 75, you get no gear rewards at all (not sure if this is what will happen live).

Now people aren’t going to rely totally on deconstructing to get frags to switch out at an RNG vendor who often gives you something you don’t want.

You will get frags from other playable content. The question is, how many? Once we know this we can determine if it will take 3 months, 6 months, 12 months or years to gear one character.

Let’s not forget we can transfer that gear to Alts who may need it, but that means you also aren’t deconstructing it and it will take longer to gear your main.

So, how many tech frags will we be able to earn per hour of playable content. How many Armor pieces will we be able to earn per hour of playable content?

I think this is one of the most import things to know to get the balance right for causal and hard core players because we don’t all find grinding gear fun. Some of us just want to get the gear at a reasonable rate and play the game for fun.

Removing the RNG from the vendor would certainly help speed up this process. Especially when you consider my Arsenal Merc received 9 generators in a row (not including others that dropped too) for the off hand from the vendor instead of a hand gun and some tank enhancements when selecting enhancements off the vendor.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I know the Onderon dailies were returning tech fragments in their rewards. I didn't pay that much attention, like maybe 50 to 75 tech fragments each. What I noticed first off is they are returning rep tokens of nothingness. Turn in a daily or weekly, earn a blue or purple rep token which are not going into inventory or being automatically used. Rep on Onderon is still zero.

With 12 dailes per faction, tech fragments could add up fast on Onderon if you're up for that kind of grind. 1200 to 1800 tech fragments earned per day might be possible.

For other locations, like say Ossus, I don't think they've implemented level 75 drops and mission rewards yet. Tokens earned from Ossus dailies too are not ending up in inventory or being automatically used either. Maybe Rep stuff is turned off, or broken on the PTS.

Hey Trixxi,

I saw similar to your feedback. Sadly though the Tech fragments did not increase substantially as I expected them to between

green = 3

blue = 3 to 5

purple = 4

Gold 4 - 12

I have also found that if you wait to decon outside of what you are running you get less tech fragments as well.....anyone else see the same?

I will do a full breakdown of this latter, but here is the quick version.

I fully geared from iLevel 270 to iLevel 306 just buying gear from the RNG vendor (Takanna). I went through a total of 41 stacks of 810 stims (33,210 stims), which was 123,000 tech fragments. I kept all the gear as I increased my level, and then after getting the full 306 gear, I deconstructed all the gear from 270 to 304.

I got 1348 tech fragments back from the deconstruction. So less then a 1.1% return on the 123,000 tech fragments it cost.

I earned around 400 tech fragments doing heroic missions on Balmorra and Taris for conquest points. I also did the weekly for Ziost. I got 51k conquest points.

It took about 90 minutes.

I deconstructed 10-20 green/blue items

I was able to buy one item off the Tarkanna RNG vendor.

From doing one quick Hammer Station solo at IR ~ 270 and deconstruction of dropped gear i usually receive 600-800 tech fragments. Up to 1000 if all drops are wrong/not upgrades. But that was the only one case, usually it's around 600.

Not that bad if you ask me.

I wasn't really paying attention which item gives more and how many more for example golden item gives compared to green. I shall check that out.

Edited by Kraysk

From my testing, even the stims being deconstructed, the tech frags aren’t always the same.

Ie 800 stims will sometimes only give 2991 frags. Other times it will give you 3021 frags.

I did a small amount of testing which I’m going to follow up with soon because the results I got were all over the place.

Some green items would give more frags than purple or blue. Etc

Some ear, implant and relics would give more or less than the exact same one.

One minute I get 9 the next I get 3. We’re exactly the same.

Early indications is deconstructing also has an RNG factor with tech frags. I intend to test this when I get on as I’ve a whole legacy cargo hold full of stuff to deconstruct.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

From my testing, even the stims being deconstructed, the tech frags aren’t always the same.

Ie 800 stims will sometimes only give 2991 frags. Other times it will give you 3021 frags.

I did a small amount of testing which I’m going to follow up with soon because the results I got were all over the place.

Some green items would give more frags than purple or blue. Etc

Some ear, implant and relics would give more or less than the exact same one.

One minute I get 9 the next I get 3. We’re exactly the same.

Early indications is deconstructing also has an RNG factor with tech frags. I intend to test this when I get on as I’ve a whole legacy cargo hold full of stuff to deconstruct.

You're absolutely correct, the numbers aren't static. There is definitely a "range" of the number of tech frags from deconstruction, especially with the stacks of stims.

From doing one quick Hammer Station solo at IR ~ 270 and deconstruction of dropped gear i usually receive 600-800 tech fragments. Up to 1000 if all drops are wrong/not upgrades. But that was the only one case, usually it's around 600.

Not that bad if you ask me.

I wasn't really paying attention which item gives more and how many more for example golden item gives compared to green. I shall check that out.

600-800 TF per Hammer station? Vet or MM?

That is not even close to my numbers in Vet. I usually don't get more than 150 and that is considering desconstruction of trash. Each boss gives 30 TF or have they increased that?

I will test again tonight if i get some time.

Here are some results I posted in the official feed back thread

Deconstructing and Tech fragments

I’ve deconstructed about 250 items (give or take).

Both whole armour pieces, whole weapons, armour and weapons with the internals ripped out and done separately. This includes all lvl of gear from 268 to 306.

I also ran the same test with ear, implants and relics.

There is so much data that I’m not going to post it all as it’s 2am here. So I’ll summarise a bit.

Deconstructing has its very own form of RNG to get tech frags

Here is an example :

I deconstruct 4 chests and get the following tech frag drops -

268 chest - 4, 4, 4, 3,

298 chest - 12, 5, 5, 4,

304 chest - 5, 5, 8, 6,

306 chest - 5, 5, 5, 4,

I repeated these test on every item you can deconstruct and got similar results. ie, all over the place. There is no standard number of fragments per item type or item lvl.

I decided to then rip out the internals of the main and off hand weapons.

And to compare them properly, I also kept some weapons whole and made sure they all had the same lvl hilt, mod, enhancement.

Here is an example of 4 whole light sabres

288 - 4x whole weapons 9, 4, 6, 4 = 23 total tech frags

Here is an example of Pulled internals from 4 light sabres

288 - 4 x hilts - 4, 4, 9, 12 = 29

288 - 4x Mods - 9, 4, 4, 9 = 26

288 - 4x Enhance - 9, 9, 12, 4 = 34

From the same 4 weapons I got = 89 total tech frags

As you can clearly see. You get more tech frags from pulling the internals out to deconstruct.

But you can also see that the same items deconstructing to get tech frags are still completely RNG

I repeated this experiment right up to and including 306 armour sets and weapons with both internals and seperate.

Conclusion is this is yet another layer of RNG hidden under the already bad RNG.

RNG vendor for DPS specs drop more tank items than DPS items. It’s completely crazy. (I took a picture that I’ll post when I wake up to show what I mean).

To gear 3 DPS characters with 306 Armouring, mods and enhancements.

Each one costs 300 tech frags.

Which requires :

21 versatile armour

21 lethal mods

21 crit, accuracy or alacrity enhancements

63 x 300 = 18,900 tech frags

But in trying to get those, I often got tanks ones instead

12 resistive armouring

24 warding mods

19 bulwark enhancements

5 steadfast enhancements

60 x 300 = 18,000 tech frags

Basically it cost me 36,900 tech frags instead of 18,900 tech frags because the vendor wasn’t dropping them for my spec.

I don’t really mind the RNG on what type of lethal mod or versatile armour I get. I don’t even really mind if I’m getting Accuracy enhancements if I’m after crit.

What I do mind is getting the wrong type of gear altogether for my spec.

There is already enough RNG on the individual types of the same mods, etc.

ie, I think lethal mods have about 9 different types that can drop?

600-800 TF per Hammer station? Vet or MM?

That is not even close to my numbers in Vet. I usually don't get more than 150 and that is considering desconstruction of trash. Each boss gives 30 TF or have they increased that?

I will test again tonight if i get some time.

I agree with you 100%, those numbers aren’t correct.

And you are right. Each boss in vet gives you 30 tech frags = 60 for the flash point.

Also, after my extensive testing on deconstructing items (please refer to my previous post) I would be surprised if people were getting more than 20-30 extra tech frags from deconstructing what drops. That is unless they pull all the internals and deconstruct. In that case they may get 60 if they are lucky enough to get mod’able gear.

Even the 306 Preservers Head Gear I received and deconstructed only gave my 5 !!! Tech frags.

That is part of a set piece Armor that costs 3000 tech frags from the vendor. I could not believe I got only 5 tech frags.

So, anyone saying they are getting 600-1000 tech frags in a Hammer Station is flat out lying.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Could the observed variability of tech fragment returns from deconstruction be because they can fail as well as critically succeed? And on critical success, more tech fragments get returned, along with yet another roll, repeating until the critical streak ends or hits a hard cap?

I agree with you 100%, those numbers aren’t correct.

And you are right. Each boss in vet gives you 30 tech frags = 60 for the flash point.

Also, after my extensive testing on deconstructing items (please refer to my previous post) I would be surprised if people were getting more than 20-30 extra tech frags from deconstructing what drops. That is unless they pull all the internals and deconstruct. In that case they may get 60 if they are lucky enough to get mod’able gear.

Even the 306 Preservers Head Gear I received and deconstructed only gave my 5 !!! Tech frags.

That is part of a set piece Armor that costs 3000 tech frags from the vendor. I could not believe I got only 5 tech frags.

So, anyone saying they are getting 600-1000 tech frags in a Hammer Station is flat out lying.

Combine that with the ceiling of availability (or what we are allowed to collect). This is getting complicated … again !

does your character have to be lvl 70 to get tech fragments from deconstructing?

I’ve honestly not tested it because it seems only 268+ gear can be deconstructed and you don’t get that till your 75.

You can boost yourself to lvl 75 on Odessen and get credits there too if you want to test out deconstructing

Could the observed variability of tech fragment returns from deconstruction be because they can fail as well as critically succeed? And on critical success, more tech fragments get returned, along with yet another roll, repeating until the critical streak ends or hits a hard cap?

I’ve not had any fail

As promised

Deconstructing and Tech fragments

RNG vendor for DPS specs drop more tank items than DPS items. It’s completely crazy. (I took a picture that I’ll post when I wake up to show what I mean).

To gear 3 DPS characters with 306 Armouring, mods and enhancements.

Each one costs 300 tech frags.

Which requires :

21 versatile armour

21 lethal mods

21 crit, accuracy or alacrity enhancements

63 x 300 = 18,900 tech frags

But in trying to get those, I often got tanks ones instead

12 resistive armouring

24 warding mods

19 bulwark enhancements

5 steadfast enhancements

60 x 300 = 18,000 tech frags

Basically it cost me 36,900 tech frags instead of 18,900 tech frags because the vendor wasn’t dropping them for my spec.

I don’t really mind the RNG on what type of lethal mod or versatile armour I get. I don’t even really mind if I’m getting Accuracy enhancements if I’m after crit.

What I do mind is getting the wrong type of gear altogether for my spec.

There is already enough RNG on the individual types of the same mods, etc.

ie, I think lethal mods have about 9 different types that can drop?

https://imgur.com/gallery/EXoohUz

Here’s a pic of the strong hold tank stuff I picked up. I had already used some of it in deconstructing, but you can clearly see I got way too much while trying to get DPS gear.

I just wanted to add that I've actually had several items that I deconstructed last night not give me any tech fragments. Still trying to pin down if it was a bug or a critical failure. I seemed to get more jawa junk than usual on the deconstruction, and believe they were all mods, enhancements, and armorings that I pulled out of equipment that I currently had equipped, and all in the 278-280 item level range. I will try to log on later and pin it down.

Here is a pic of my Snipers cargo bay. These were only dropped today from the RNG vendor trying to gear up the right side of my sniper.

FYI, I already had 3 versatile amourings and 3 crit enhancements before I started.

As you can see, I’ve nearly filled another tab with useless tanking stuff while trying to gear a dps character.

https://imgur.com/gallery/9taoIOo

Eric, I really hope you are passing this evidence back to the team so they can see it.

Edited by TrixxieTriss