We need to talk about the new alacrity threshold

Metthew

Just so we are clear, my argument is not that 1.3s GCD is needed for damage / healing etc., it's needed to make the game more exciting.

Biggest thing I enjoyed in the past was when we used to be able to customize our toons in a variety of ways with stats, just for the sake of variety. Alacrity was always fun to play with.

As usual, it sounds like options and choices are being removed, making the game more dumbed down and boring. In a nutshell, if they can make the game less fun they seem bent on doing that. Variety in gears and activities in the game are good for the game, but someone at BW obviously feels differently.

Actually, it's probably more of a matter of simplicity. If they can dumb down the system it will be far easier for them to keep the ability metrics in check/balanced. In theory anyway.

Edited by Lhancelot

Biggest thing I enjoyed in the past was when we used to be able to customize our toons in a variety of ways with stats, just for the sake of variety. Alacrity was always fun to play with.

As usual, it sounds like options and choices are being removed, making the game more dumbed down and boring. In a nutshell, if they can make the game less fun they seem bent on doing that. Variety in gears and activities in the game are good for the game, but someone at BW obviously feels differently.

Actually, it's probably more of a matter of simplicity. If they can dumb down the system it will be far easier for them to keep the ability metrics in check/balanced. In theory anyway.

Allow me to repeat myself from another thread:

Worst idea ever.

Stats on gear for comps means keeping track of 14 more slots times x characters per toon times y number of toons.

It was a nightmare from hell keeping up with all that before.

No thank you.

Allow me to repeat myself from another thread:

I wasn't commenting on comps or gearing comps, I was explaining what i liked about the old gearing system particularly how we could customize our gears easily in PVP. Whether it was with tons of alacrity, or any other stat.

But healers don’t need accuracy so they can more easily reach the 1.3s GCD compared to DPS characters. At least, it wasn’t a problem on PTS 1.5 in 306 rating gear. Now, a healer’s crit and crit multiplier won’t be as high as they were in 5.10.4, but Mas/Pow are also much higher, so the baseline level is going up.

Healers do need accuracy in some fights, if they are on interrupt duty, or doing the pushes on Styrak NiM.

I like 1.4 gcd. 1.3s felt like I am on speeds. I once watched a recording of myself playing in 1.0 with 1.5 gcd. Damn it was slow. But I had so much time to consider what to use next, how to make it optimal. It did feel nice to make it slow - i look around, I notice other players, other mechanics, I am not bound to mashing keyboard in a very quick manner.

Healers do need accuracy in some fights, if they are on interrupt duty, or doing the pushes on Styrak NiM.

True! A fair argument. The droids for EC Kephess come to mind when healers will be counted on for interrupts. It also reminded me that the Nightmare manifestation phases of Styrak are probably pretty tight DPS checks as well ... if not more so than my initial example of M/B.

Still, I've seen very little empirical evidence that suggests people can't complete the hardest content in 6.0 PTS with the 1.4s GCD. I'm not saying that the OP is wrong, personally I think I would miss the 1.3s GCD especially on target switching specs like Arsenal Merc and Sharpshooter Gunslinger, but I've seen a lot of speculation and little data.