New class needed for SWTOR

Lhancelot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this were another game it might work, but it isn't. I am eager for a Star Wars MMO that explores classes outside of Pub Vs. Imp, and with EA's exclusivity rights having expired, I see it as a possibility. If Nightsisters became an MMO class, I could definitely see a melee-sorcerer class like this.

But with TOR, a melee class like that would essentially constitute a DPS-Healer hybrid. Ever since skill trees were phased out (where you could pick passives/abilities from any of your advanced classes' disciplines), BW has been decidedly clear on hybrid roles: they're too much work to balance/rebalance so they don't end up as a "jack of all trades, master of none" fringe class, and they disrupt the basic trinity of Tank-DPS-Healer.

There is a lot they COULD do. But anything that costs too much $$...won't happen.

Revolving door of new players and Cartel Purchases is what drives them.

It was 3 years until Onslaught.... If it takes them 3 years to add the amount of content Onslaught brought....expecting a full class story line would take them decades.

Here's why this request is going to fall flat, as it always does:

A new class actually requires creating the base class with its two advanced classes, plus mirrors for the other faction. Each advanced class needs 3 disciplines. This also requires two new core storylines, one for each faction.

The devs simply aren't going to invest the necessary resources in that. Ever.

Unless it's a death knight which only unlocks after completing KOTFE/ KOTET or future content

There needs to be a melee healer class added. Something along the lines of a Warrior Priest or Disciple of Khaine from the old MMO WAR.

Playing that style of gameplay was probably the most fun I had on any one class in all my times of PVPing on MMOs. You could fully wade into melee range, yet had great AoE healing and HoTs.

You also had heals that resulted from your direct melee attacks, so you were always busy meleeing to maximize your healing potential. It really was quite fun.

Easiest way is to introduce a new class system.. a combo class.

Where you can have certain combinations of existing classes and their abilities. This can create new prestige or elite classes.. that keep the class signature of your original class.

So this is how it works.

1. You still pick one of the 8 classes in character creation (4 in each faction.)

2. When it comes time to pick your advanced class you can do that or alternatively, this is why you get the new prestige combo classes which appear as new advanced classes

b) You can later get to choose a combo class/prestige class which lets you add or combine certain abilities in preset arragnemetns callsed prestige classes

c) a new system where you can pick skill path, i.e. spec from an adavnaced class of another class and level through that class, the way this plays out in combat is that you can switch modes between 2 specs while in combat, like a warrior switches stances or the druid clas sin wow swtiches forms - this allows you to access a different playstyle at a pinch.

This has some restictions,

i) your 2 active specs are not active at the same time, you can only switch from one to another, where your action bars verythign changes to that which you have presete.. and you can do this in combat. In order to re-assign differnet specs to your active spec, you must do so out of combat.

ii) You can choose 2 specs from the same class as your active spec if you so desire, or pick one from another class.

e.g. if you picked the Consular to start with and went Sage , once you've finished the Consular class you can pick a second class: this can be the shadow, the guardian, the sentinel, the commando, the vanguard, the gunslinger or the scoundrel..

When you pick your next advanced class, you can now set one of it's specs as your active second spec, Let say you have Telekinetics as your active spec on the stage, when you pick up the Jedi Knight Sentinel advanced class, Watchman spec can be selected as your second active spec, or you can choose balance from the sage or another spec from the sentinel. While in combat you can switch between TK and Watchman at will, enjoying a dual playstyle, they don't mix, you just switch modes. Each mode comes with it's own character slot, action bars etc, that load automatically allowing you to alter gear to optimised configurations, equip a second lightsaber ,and new set of action bars you can assign abilities too

iii) Your two active specs must be of the same role for pvp matches. ie.. you cannot pair a tank spec with a healer spec or a dps spec in pvp, if you have an alternate role assigned whe you enter the match, you would only be able to use the active role and you won't be able to switch to your second active spec during combat until you assign one of the same role.

3. Expand the legacy system,