Is game dead?

Allerien

Can we possibly keep genchat trolling in genchat? kthxbai.

Seriously though the game is not dead or even close. No, it may not be what it once was but I never have trouble getting pops in a timely manner or groups when i want to.

Many people I know are coming back for the expansion, i suggest we give it a chance and find our positive voices at least for a little while before it become self fulfilling.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game is dead, here is why:

https://pasteboard.co/IuYkfG3.jpg

Wow classic, method's tries to be world first, look at the viewers. Keep that in mind that's just one streamer, wow vs swtor views not gonna go even there.

Swtor official stream and what's going to be on pts, and 6.0,look at the viewers. Highest I saw was 993.

https://pasteboard.co/IuYn3Pg.jpg

Since the beta we tried to tell to devs, and everyone,

YOU CANNOT KEEP THE GAME ALIVE WITH A STORY ALONE.

They couldn't, they can't even tell a story now, and the one's they do and really bad. But that's subjective so won't go into that.

You can't generate enough interest with story alone. Do you want to tell a unique dynamic story? Do it, absolutely, more the marrier, I'm a great fan of good stories. But do it as the side pillar not the main focus.

For all the clowns that's keep saying : 'there is only %5 of player base does nim raiding', I say this : method had 150k live viewers on the official azshara kill. There is like not more than enough 300 swtor viewers any moment of time.

Now white knights gonna jump and will say : we are busy playing the game not watching the stream. You are dead wrong, as you have always been.

Game is dead, here is why:

https://pasteboard.co/IuYkfG3.jpg

Wow classic, method's tries to be world first, look at the viewers. Keep that in mind that's just one streamer, wow vs swtor views not gonna go even there.

Swtor official stream and what's going to be on pts, and 6.0,look at the viewers. Highest I saw was 993.

https://pasteboard.co/IuYn3Pg.jpg

Since the beta we tried to tell to devs, and everyone,

YOU CANNOT KEEP THE GAME ALIVE WITH A STORY ALONE.

They couldn't, they can't even tell a story now, and the one's they do and really bad. But that's subjective so won't go into that.

You can't generate enough interest with story alone. Do you want to tell a unique dynamic story? Do it, absolutely, more the marrier, I'm a great fan of good stories. But do it as the side pillar not the main focus.

For all the clowns that's keep saying : 'there is only %5 of player base does nim raiding', I say this : method had 150k live viewers on the official azshara kill. There is like not more than enough 300 swtor viewers any moment of time.

Now white knights gonna jump and will say : we are busy playing the game not watching the stream. You are dead wrong, as you have always been.

Lord Angelus,

I've turned off the lights, lit some candles scented with Alderaanian nectar, poured a fabulous Chateau Mouton Rothschild (Earth vintages still the best), slinked (or slithered) into a sexy negligee specially designed for Hutts (it took some work, it was like putting toothpaste back in the tube; fortunately, had some hapless Gamorrean guards to help).

Can't wait to watch you stream your romancing of Theron Shan.

Dasty

TL-DR: Your streaming comparison is completely irrelevant.

Edited by Jdast

It seems the way people judge if a game is dead is how much activity there is in the game. No surprises there, 5 servers in total and you can log in and see what the level of activity is.

Alternatively how much interest and hype there is about the game, how much anticipation there is or if its a case of well I'm off doing other things delay updates all you want kind of attitude. Take a look at the forum, is it the same old same old mostly name calling. Look at other MMO sites and see if they are reporting positive stories for SWTOR.

Alternatively there could look at it completely objectively, how much new stuff to do has been added to the game in the last 6 months or last 12 months. Has the content stagnated, has there been any significant growth to the game in that time frame.

Ultimately though is the game getting bigger and better, dead places the burden too far. You could say someone that is brain dead and on a life support machine never to ever have a chance to wake up isn't yet dead. But in all meaningful way their life would be considered over. So lets say you took a six month break from the game or even a year and came back today would you be enjoying vast amounts of new content or be hunting for new things do to within a few hours, let alone 30 days.

Sad. So many trolls in this thread.

Very true.

I spoke to it earlier, but I'll elaborate now.

The game is not dead. However, it suffers from a very poorly conceived business model from BioWare/EA.

That is - they actually prefer people to go away and only come back when there is something new.

That is their actual business model. I'm not being hyperbolic; they've actually on the record said that this year.

So to them, its ok for the servers to be dead right now, and anyone who is used to all other MMOs where they bust their butts to keep their subs recurring, they might think this game is dead.

But its just the model.

When Onslaught launches, the game will be booming again, and it will carry through until about Christmas or just thereafter. Then usually some time between March and May, a new Producer note will come out to give the state of the game and where we are going for the coming year. That will cause a small bump in interest, as will the one or two "small" updates they give throughout the year.

Then things slowly "die" over the summer as the team goes into crunch mode to push out the next update. Which leads us to where we are.

Those are all the KNOWNS. Known cycles based on history and what they have stated.

Now, some can argue BioWare has too small a team to do anything useful - this is mere speculation and I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. Possibly likely, but nothing confirmed, and when Keith was brought on in 2017, there was a spate of hirings over at BioWare Austin for SWTOR specifically.

It's possible that the team is too small to keep up with things. Or I submit for people to consider that Bioware is restricted by EA's policy of "people leaving is ok if they come back for new content".

If we want to change that policy, 2 things need to happen:

1) When Onslaught hits, we need to support it big time. Get your friends, stump for it on social media, etc - make waves and make it the most successful expansion in SWTOR's history. Get people to commit to subbing and staying subbed through December.

If we can hit successfully #1, then we move on to point 2:

2) Provided 1 happens, and waiting until the following June to allow metrics to get back to BioWare and EA internally, we start making noise about their policy of letting subs go and not trying to maintain them year round with content. Don't get nasty about it, but demand policy change and that they start developing content year round to keep subs locked in.

The reason for this is thus:

I have seen enough of Keith to know that he is the first producer since the original to be on the side of the PLAYERS, and not EA. He genuinely gives a **** about the players, even if he can't do everything he wants to for us. He's handcuffed and still able to move the game in a direction the players have wanted for a long damn time.

IF we can support him and the game, AND make public the demand for a change in policy, this potentially could give Keith the ammo HE needs to go to EA, and say "Look at all this. Look at the Demand. People are staying subbed and wanting more. We have a ground swell. How about in order to support this wave of new subs and revenue, we hire a few more members of the team and try to meet their expectations by providing content year round like other subs?"

I think given the current climate of SWTOR and EA's recent failures with SW IP games, they might be desperate for a win, and if we give them enough reason, we might be able to help Keith breathe life into this game yet....

It seems the way people judge if a game is dead is how much activity there is in the game. No surprises there, 5 servers in total and you can log in and see what the level of activity is.

Alternatively how much interest and hype there is about the game, how much anticipation there is or if its a case of well I'm off doing other things delay updates all you want kind of attitude. Take a look at the forum, is it the same old same old mostly name calling. Look at other MMO sites and see if they are reporting positive stories for SWTOR.

Alternatively there could look at it completely objectively, how much new stuff to do has been added to the game in the last 6 months or last 12 months. Has the content stagnated, has there been any significant growth to the game in that time frame.

Ultimately though is the game getting bigger and better, dead places the burden too far. You could say someone that is brain dead and on a life support machine never to ever have a chance to wake up isn't yet dead. But in all meaningful way their life would be considered over. So lets say you took a six month break from the game or even a year and came back today would you be enjoying vast amounts of new content or be hunting for new things do to within a few hours, let alone 30 days.

I have played the game close to its start for 2 months, have finished 2 class stories back then (SI&SW) and then went into hiatus for years... then decided to come back this year in May. Since then I've taken my two Siths all the way to Ossus and Dantooine and have finished all the remaining class stories except for the smuggler's and trooper's which I'm working on right now before going 'legendary', before taking my two Siths to Onslaught. Finally, I will do KotFE and rest with my JK, before I retire once again.

I've always only cared about the stories and traditional MMORPG mechanics don't interest me one bit, which is why I never cared for WoW etc. and never will.

Equally, I will never ever watch anybody else play a game if I can just play it myself.

To me, this game is still very much alive.

I don’t know Keith like you do what I do know is we know nothing of what you stated to be true for this release based on their last one. 5.0 came out and while people did show they also bailed rather quickly, So quickly Ben eventually got the door and Kieth came in to settle the masses. He has done so by posting that he is listening...then going silent for long stretches. Some dribs and drabs of content, constant tweaking of GC system, and lots of ... nothing much.

So your belief has to be based on faith....not earned credit but faith and hope. Because over the last two years we have hardly seen enough to really know things have changed, heck if anything what we have seen is with every update more bugs, more problems, more bad story writing,...oh and have they even managed to return all our lost companions in all this time, something that said they wanted to do long ago? No, no they have not. Every time they start communicating or saying they want to improve communication...they then go silent for long periods. Basically same old same old, but gentler and to a dwindling base that is most made of the most diehard SWTOR fans.

So ok, lets assume magic Christmas land happens and 6.0 is good, isn’t bug filled, and it brings back tons of people who want to see more of that type of content. You think the player base crying for more will in any way affect the rate at which we get more of it? They’ve proven very skilled at ignoring everything the players want for years on end, and somehow this time it will be different?

Look I am hoping 6.0 is a shock to the system. That it is awesome fun, brings back tons of players. I am hoping for all of this. But I am not willing to even suggest that even if it is amazing anyone will care that the players want more of the same sooner rather than later. We would be lucky, lucky to get more in another year.

Lord Angelus,

I've turned off the lights, lit some candles scented with Alderaanian nectar, poured a fabulous Chateau Mouton Rothschild (Earth vintages still the best), slinked (or slithered) into a sexy negligee specially designed for Hutts (it took some work, it was like putting toothpaste back in the tube; fortunately, had some hapless Gamorrean guards to help).

Can't wait to watch you stream your romancing of Theron Shan.

Dasty

TL-DR: Your streaming comparison is completely irrelevant.

How is it irrelevant? I mean what are the people gonna watch? Some dude's 123716237th sin story? No content to keep people's interest - therefore dead game. You do the story once, thats it. Done, move on the endgame where actual game starts.

This game lacks that therefore lack population therefore dead.

The game is dead trolls leak out of WoW every so often and some show up here.

But the question is... is this supposed to read as:

"The game is dead" trolls leak out of WoW every so often and some show up here.

or

The game is dead. Trolls leak out of WoW every so often and some show up here.

:p