They Are Fixing The Taris Bonus Series Bug!

Hello forum,

So the other day I finally ran into the Taris bonus series bug and I submitted a ticket hoping it would get some attention and I looked up the bug on the internet and people came across it all the way back at the start of the game and now today I received an email response.

(Response below)

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Star Wars: The Old Republic Customer Support.

We wanted to let you know that we identified the problem you ran into as a bug. We’ll fix it in a future game update.

Keep an eye on http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes for details on bug fixes included in each game update.

Galactic Support is our specialty….

Thank you,

The Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Customer Support Team.

So here is to hoping that they actually fix this simple bug which they must of forgotten about.

o7

Don't want to burst your bubble, but what you go there is a generic reply, it's one we've seen many, many times....lol

Yeah. I doubt that will ever be fixed, but I would be glad. Balmorra's bonus series as well.

Yeah. I doubt that will ever be fixed, but I would be glad. Balmorra's bonus series as well.

I pretty much guarantee that it won't be fixed, given what Kryptonomic said back in January:

Actually, the fix is easy in this case. The quest chains are stored in the database via flags. The problem with this particular quest chain is that the subsequent series of quests are available before the first in the series is done. This is because the flag in the database is not set to indicate the quests are dependent quests. So they all show up at once, rather than dependent on which one has been completed. Literally flipping that flag would fix the issue.

This was brought up during actual testing (not user testing) years ago. Bioware simply didn't fix it. Part of the reason for the lack of fix was because at that time the bonus series missions were gated by your level and as long as people didn't overlevel, this issue could be considered mitigated a bit. That became less true as they made leveling so much quicker.

The reason it wasn't fixed after even that is because it was known the bonus series elements were going to be deprioritized. From an in-game perspective, that entailed moving quest givers to the fleet (which actually wouldn't have mitigated this issue). The bonus series were seen now as getting in the way of getting players to later content and the work they were prioritizing more.

Perhaps ironically, the quest chain system is actually one of the areas where the dev team doesn't have tight coupling and low cohesion in the code base.

• 2 weeks later...
I pretty much guarantee that it won't be fixed, given what Kryptonomic said back in January:

My favorite poster of all time, Kryptonomic.

The only person on the planet that had the guts to say what was and is really going on behind the scenes at BW as well as why they made many of the past choices that they did.

I credit his explanations for the mess of this game as therapeutic, just having sensible and logical explanations as to how and why SWTOR has traveled this path.

I also found a little more empathy for the poor souls I mean devs that have to do as directed no matter how illogical or ill-conceived a game design change is for them to create and add to the game.